Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC's Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      40 (26%)
      Jose Enrique
      1 (0.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      7 (4.5%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      2 (1.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      1 (0.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (1.9%)
      Victor Moses
      7 (4.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      62 (40.3%)
      Luis Suarez
      31 (20.1%)
      Raheem Sterling
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Voting closed: Oct 03, 2013 05:58:22 pm

Sunderland 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Pleasure

Read 25990 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,014 posts | 3953 
      Re: Sunderland 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Pleasure
      Reply #414: Sep 30, 2013 03:22:59 pm
      Spot on mate. You come in the Match thread and you think "Who the F**k are these whingers"?

I want to come on the match thread mate and ask 'who the F**k are these wingers' when we do find the wide men we have been after for so long.
      « Last Edit: Sep 30, 2013 03:56:04 pm by stuey »
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #415: Sep 30, 2013 03:32:54 pm
      Not a vintage performance, but a fantastic result.  A few thoughts:

-  The Suarez/Sturridge partnership looks like it could be devastatingly good after a few more games!!

-  The 3-4-1-2 can work for us, but it seemed a little disjointed as we had Hendo on the right and Moses playing as the CAM.  Hendo does not beat players off the dribble well enough to play as a wingback, and Moses lacks the composure, vision, and passing ability of Coutinho to really be an effective link man between midfield and attack.  When we welcome these two players back into the side, the 3-4-1-2 formation may well be our best lineup.  It would also be better with Agger as our main CB as he is very comfortable bringing the ball forward on the dribble when the space is available, something we saw Skrtel do a few times on Sunday to good effect. 

-  Sakho looks like a very good defender!!  Big, strong, athletic, and fairly good on the ball.  His decision making in possession could improve, but I feel this will improve the more he settles into the team and develops a better understanding with some of his teammates. 

-  Migs is a spectacular shot stopper, but is not the sweeper keeper that we had in Reina.  Given my choice of the two, I'd honestly plop for Migs as he has made a number of world class saves for us already this season!!  He will certainly be giving the Belgium national team manager a selection headache if he keeps this up!!

-  Toure is an absolute boss and as a free transfer has to be one of the most astute signings of the season!!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #416: Sep 30, 2013 03:40:21 pm
      Well, it is good to move up the table. I think we could have still been top but for saying we managed okay without Suarez it is promising. We don't have European or mickey mouse cup to get injuries in. I feel like this is the best chance we have of winning the league in a long time. When Arsenal and Spurs pick up injuries on big European nights in away fixtures 3 days before a banana skin league game, we will pull ahead.
      « Last Edit: Sep 30, 2013 03:45:49 pm by Ribapuru »
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #417: Sep 30, 2013 03:57:48 pm
      We go top on Sat if we beat Palace :D
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #418: Sep 30, 2013 05:34:32 pm
      While it wasn't exactly a free flowing performance of the type we became accustomed to last season, I actually think we played pretty well yesterday. Certainly well enough to win the match.

Sunderland were always going to fire out of the blocks with their players determined to prove that their vote against Di Canio as manager was a good choice, so we set up to hit them hard on the counter attack and it worked wonders. It wasn't always pretty from us, and we probably did gift possession to them too much in the first half but we still scored goals and looked more than resolute at the back, with only a Larsson free-kick providing me with an 'oh, they may score here' moment.

Second half we picked it up. Well, after they scored early on. They ran out of energy after putting so much in to the first hour and we then just played the game at our own pace, restricting them all afternoon to long, ambitious strikes. I genuinely can't think of a single opportunity they created inside the penalty area, whereas our second goal was a thing of beauty after a cracking pass by Gerrard was brought down incredibly by Sturridge who then beat his man brilliantly before supplying the excellent movement of Suarez. Bang. The third was very nice too, proving that we can play on the counter attack much more effectively than this time last year. When you force the home team to have long shots and are able to counter attack to such great effect and win the game, I think you can call it a successful away day.

Also, I'd like to add that one of the reasons for our lack of free flowing football was perhaps the absence of Coutinho, who is the link between our deep lying midfielders and attack. Licking his lips at the thought of playing with Suarez and Sturridge again I suspect. Talking of whom, those two were fantastic. Obviously very clinical but I just enjoyed watching them; their touches were good, their movement was good, their link-up play was fantastic. You can't ask for more than that from two half-fit strikers.

Moses did well I felt, although there's no doubt he is more at home on the wing than in attacking midfield. Henderson is a good midfielder, and can do a job as a wide midfielder cutting but when he's asked to play wing back I think it's a tad too much for the guy. Sure, he provided great energy and did well defensively but you need to be very good on the ball in space to play wing back and he just isn't; he's more of an instinct player. Johnson's return couldn't come sooner for us.

Back three were brilliant. Toure showing why, once again, we can call him the bargain of the summer. Didn't put a foot wrong. Neither did Sakho, who I think is a lot more composed on the ball than credited. He had Altidore in his pocket, must have won almost every duel. Skrtel solid, but you get the feeling Agger will replace him when he does, inevitably, slip up. Enrique was Enrique. Some good bits of play mixed in with brainfarts. We need Cissokho back from injury ASAP to pressurise Jose. Mignolet generally played well but obviously made a rare error for their goal. His distribution was okay, certainly it seems to be improving. Lucas and Gerrard remain a slight worry, I think you can afford to have one in there but due to their lack of mobiliy thesedays having both on the pitch makes it tough for us to support the attacking players, and is perhaps why we haven't controlled games that well yet this season. Give Gerrard time though, he improved after November last season and was still key today with his corner resulting in a goal and great ball out to Sturridge for the second. Hopefully Lucas' 5th yellow card came at the right time, if such a thing exists, because we should be beating Crystal Palace at home without him.

All in all, I was delighted yesterday. Rodgers did well too bringing Sterling on, allowing Henderson to go in to the middle where he's more at home. Sterling had some good runs to help take pressure off the defence. Man of the match probably between the SaS and Kolo. Sturridge was involved in every goal for us, so you gotta give it to him I guess.

2nd in the league and we're yet to hit top form, I'm very pleased :)
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #419: Sep 30, 2013 05:57:31 pm
      Its starting to look like there's a case for a back 3(as I thought).
      It was nice to see Kolo stepping forward on occasion.

Lucas looked to be straining at some points.

I noticed we had a jittery patch before we got our 3rd. Lucas and Stevie seemed to be tiring.

Sturr and Luis really have it all on their shoulders, but they're certainly up for the challenge.

I wont get carried away, as its only Sunderland (albeit one with a new sense of belief after they sacked that whopper di Canio...)

Once again, I think our big problem this season will be lack of ability to rotate. And also lack of quality in a 1st 11 vs the top teams.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #420: Sep 30, 2013 07:25:10 pm
      I have not seen the match yet but there is delayed coverage on television in 50 minutes time.I look forward to it in view of the result. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Well I watched the match and I got great satisfaction seeing the Sturridge goal,for me it was payback for the beachball goal a few years ago,I thought Sturridge had an excellent game and was my man of the match.Toure had a solid game and has settled in well.All in all a good result and 3 points in the bag.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #421: Sep 30, 2013 07:55:22 pm
      Thought Moses played really well and we lost a bit with our 'usual, its Sterling for Moses' sub we seem to make. Sturridge also did really well with his decision making to set up both Suarez goals. A good 3 points in a tricky game which playing against a team that has just sacked their manager usually is.
      Have to disagree slightly with Moses. Very good going forward when he attacked form the flanks but his tracking back and work rate was terrible IMO. We couldn't use him on the right instead of Hendo because he would deffo get caught out I think. Which gives us a little problem in our next game now as Lucas is banned. hendo would be the obvious choice to replace him and I think we'll have to go back to 4 3 3 or 4 2 3 1 unless he puts Alberto next to gerrard.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #422: Sep 30, 2013 08:35:36 pm
      I think Brendan might try putting Agger in midfield with Stevie.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #423: Sep 30, 2013 08:38:37 pm
      Add to it then with detailed post game break down..

And you can see the names drop off the list at the top of the thread of who is in the thread, when we're winning that is. :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #424: Sep 30, 2013 08:40:26 pm

Once again, I think our big problem this season will be lack of ability to rotate. And also lack of quality in a 1st 11 vs the top teams.

In case you haven't looked at the table we ARE one of the top teams. 2nd to be exact.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #425: Sep 30, 2013 09:44:07 pm
      In case you haven't looked at the table we ARE one of the top teams. 2nd to be exact.

Well we didnt do too well against em last season.  Do u also expect Soton to finish the season 5th? And the Mancs in 12th?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #426: Sep 30, 2013 09:47:57 pm

Well we didnt do too well against em last season.  Do u also expect Soton to finish the season 5th? And the Mancs in 12th?

12th. That would be lovely.

Our first 11 isn't the problem.
      Having F**k all competition for them is.
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 351 posts | 21 
      Reply #427: Sep 30, 2013 10:07:42 pm
      Suarez is back, loving it. We look like a completely different beast. Just need Coutinho back and Hendo to get used to that position.

Lucas needs to stop getting so many yellows, missing out on suspension can be costly.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #428: Sep 30, 2013 10:47:43 pm

I don't care about those teams, I care about where we finish and yes I expect us to finish close to where we currently are.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #429: Sep 30, 2013 11:28:17 pm
      I think Brendan might try putting Agger in midfield with Stevie.
      Been discussed to death. DOnt think it will happen, but I agree Agger would make a much better Holding Midfielder that CB. His ball distribution is great, and he sure knows hoe to tackle.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #430: Sep 30, 2013 11:33:04 pm
      One more time?
      Yeah F**k it, why not?

why hello there
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #431: Oct 01, 2013 01:03:11 am

I'm not so sure about Southampton in 5th, but United in the bottom half could be a good shout! YNWA.

Quick Reply