Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Kenny Dalglish returns to Liverpool on board of directors

Read 14180 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Kenny Dalglish returns to Liverpool on board of directors
      Reply #115: Oct 14, 2013 11:51:21 pm
      do you have to have everything explained we were not the only one trying to sign him and he was flavour of the month with every pundit on the telly saying how wonderful he was and at Blackpool he was. Typical big fish small pond syndrome. I don't know where you get your ideas from and suggesting it was FSG's fault is laughable if you can read that into my post

Don't believe the hype. I doubt he was lauded as much as that. You insinuate that FSG were all for a 'British buy' policy - no one was ever for that but the exception of Kenny's management team.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #116: Oct 15, 2013 10:28:05 am
      You insinuate that FSG were all for a 'British buy' policy - no one was ever for that but the exception of Kenny's management team.

Two things on the "British buy policy" FMS; one: all signings were well and truly sanctioned by FSG/John Henry, after being 'scouted' by their Director of Football - that much is very well documented; as is their [FSG/John Henry's] praise of the work/transfers done that Summer and two: were "Kenny's management team" really following a "British buy policy" [Alfie Suarez, Willy Coates, Stevie Enrique and Bertie Doni]?  ;D

I know time plays tricks on the mind and sometimes we (myself included) tend to only remember what we 'want' to...

Like with poor Fabio Oussama Samed Iago Charlie Adam - signed to play a part in a squad, for a relatively small fee (due in no small part to his big sabrematic stats) but thrust into a leading role due to long-term injuries, to Lucas and Gerrard, ends up leading team in assists and second highest goals from midfield? Not good enough and written off after a season.

I'm not sure Charlie deserves as much flak as he got but... as long as we apply the same logic to others; especially those without the "stigma" of being either British or having been signed by "Kenny"; I'll play along.

Just as I'll play along with the argument that FSG weren't, in any way, responsible for "the signings of such players"... if I don't have to read any praise they get for signing players/releasing money to buy players such as Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge.
                                             ----------------------------------------------

On topic: The return of the true legend, that is the King, is a very real chance to build/mend bridges and put the heart n soul back into the club. Opening up old, done to death, debates/wounds does quite the opposite. Time to let go of the 'hate' and move on by giving a bit of space maybe?  :confused-smiley-013:
      « Last Edit: Oct 15, 2013 10:33:37 am by bad boy bubby »
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #117: Oct 15, 2013 10:50:15 am
      Welcome home Kenny lad, just make sure you stay away from the transfer kitty and i'll be happy. He can only be a good thing as fans of football will know who he is and he will only add to our ever growing global brand. get him out to the states on some PR and around Aus as we need to nail the fan base over there.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #118: Oct 15, 2013 04:21:38 pm
      just curious but why wouldn't he be a benefit to the club he always has been and always will be his very presence at the club gives it more gravitas

He wasn't a benefit to the club during his last reign, some of the worst signings the club have ever made!! Having said that I'm delighted to have him back in an ambassadorial capacity.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #119: Oct 15, 2013 04:31:44 pm
      Kenny is Liverpool FC through and through, especially when it comes to connecting with the fans of the club.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #120: Oct 15, 2013 04:32:22 pm
      He wasn't a benefit to the club during his last reign, some of the worst signings the club have ever made!! Having said that I'm delighted to have him back in an ambassadorial capacity.

He was a benefit in at least two major ways:

1) He wasn't Roy Hodgson.

2) He won a trophy
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #121: Oct 15, 2013 05:23:12 pm

So you believe everything you read in the papers?
      You also deny the existence of Damien Comolli, perhaps you should e-mail JWH and enquire what prompted him to employ the same man in a 50% managerial roll with KD and make some atrocious decisions which KD took the bullet for.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #122: Oct 15, 2013 05:30:35 pm
      So you believe everything you read in the papers?
      You also deny the existence of Damien Comolli, perhaps you should e-mail JWH and enquire what prompted him to employ the same man in a 50% managerial roll with KD and make some atrocious decisions which KD took the bullet for.

50% manager?

I don't believe that any player was bought without Kenny's approval. And Comolli got the bullet first.

I love Dalglish, but his return as manager was very hit and miss and I wasn't that surprised when he got fired. Some of our displays were simply horrific.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #123: Oct 15, 2013 05:32:25 pm

50% manager?

I don't believe that any player was bought without Kenny's approval. And Comolli got the bullet first.

I love Dalglish, but his return as manager was very hit and miss and I wasn't that surprised when he got fired. Some of our displays were simply horrific.

Ok. Old school way of scouting perhaps. But that's behind us now.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #124: Oct 15, 2013 05:34:59 pm
      Ok. Old school way of scouting perhaps. But that's behind us now.

Indeed it is. Kenny wasn't anything close to infallible - no manager is - and he also bought some truly terrible players at Newcastle without any help from Comolli.

Still, they both left us with Suarez, which was a very fine gift indeed, regardless of how long he stays from here.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #125: Oct 15, 2013 07:00:10 pm

50% manager?

are you sure you are on the right sight?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #126: Oct 15, 2013 11:42:32 pm

50% manager?

It was a 50% management arrangement, check it out.
      Comolli was fired first and KD was subsequently summoned to Boston where he met with the same fate, check it out.
      KD's performance upon his return was affected by outside factors ie Comolli/FSG, the owners admitted to ''making mistakes'' and this arrangement fits the bill.
      KD's subsequent re-appointment would appear to confirm the fact that he was erroneously dismissed.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #127: Oct 16, 2013 08:17:35 am

I've no idea what you are smoking son, but that is some powerful stuff.

Worst signings ever ? Have you never seen Salif Diao, Djimi Traore or Josemi ?

You really need to get out more
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #128: Oct 16, 2013 08:31:22 am

[/quote And don't forget Koncheski and Poulsen and the best?worst signing of all Woy Hodgson.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #129: Oct 16, 2013 09:09:51 am

I think the fact that those three hapless divs cost about £9m combined, whereas we paid £55m for Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing, is part of the point he was trying to make.

*winces*
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #130: Oct 16, 2013 09:51:59 am
      CarlosLickABall just won't let go.

*Cringes*
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #131: Oct 16, 2013 11:17:22 am
      I don't know how a Director of Football constitutes to 50% of 'Manager'.  ???

I don't remember seeing Comolli in the dugout aka Houllier/Evans discussing tactics with Dalglish, or for that matter on the pitches at Melwood training the team.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #132: Oct 16, 2013 11:29:32 am
      I don't know how a Director of Football constitutes to 50% of 'Manager'.
      The manager's job is huge in football throughout the world for large clubs. No one person can be responsible for every aspect of the operation.

So if not 50%: what percentage would you apply to Damien Comolli's role 'belly?

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #133: Oct 16, 2013 11:37:17 am
      We have had a topic or three discussing KK's reign and Damien's part in it, so wondering what KK's duties, beyond the obvious ambassadorial role, will be.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #134: Oct 16, 2013 11:40:30 am
      The manager's job is huge in football throughout the world for large clubs. No one person can be responsible for every aspect of the operation.

So if not 50%: what percentage would you apply to Damien Comolli's role 'belly?

Well, considering Dalglish pointed out the targets he wanted and let Comolli do the rest by virtue of negotiating with other clubs and players, I'd say his role in football management would have been about 10% at a stretch.

Unless, he took training sessions, coached players, scouted opponents, discussed and trained tactics and other footballing things that I don't know about then I'd say 50% is a desperate attempt to, try for some reason, to uphold Kenny's legendary status - which quite frankly he doesn't need such desperation thrown his way. And I think Kenny himself being the humble dignified guy he is would be embarrassed by such claims on his behalf.

Why, what percentage of management would you allude Comolli played in management 'Bubby?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #135: Oct 16, 2013 11:46:50 am
      We have had a topic or three discussing KK's reign and Damien's part in it, so wondering what KK's duties, beyond the obvious ambassadorial role, will be.
      Reading you loud and clear mate and fair play to you.

I've tried not to get drawn in and I want move on from a debate that's very well documented and done to death but it seems some folk are intent on being divisive. I probably shouldn't bite (read back; I have tried) but it really gets on my tits when I see a 'Red' piss on the name of a proper great who's gave so much for this club.

To that end and providing the haters don't push the envelope; I'll leave it there.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #136: Oct 16, 2013 11:49:13 am
      Well, considering Dalglish pointed out the targets he wanted and let Comolli do the rest by virtue of negotiating with other clubs and players, I'd say his role in football management would have been about 10% at a stretch.

Unless, he took training sessions, coached players, scouted opponents, discussed and trained tactics and other footballing things that I don't know about then I'd say 50% is a desperate attempt to, try for some reason, to uphold Kenny's legendary status - which quite frankly he doesn't need such desperation thrown his way. And I think Kenny himself being the humble dignified guy he is would be embarrassed by such claims on his behalf.

Why, what percentage of management would you allude Comolli played in management 'Bubby?
      I've tried not to get drawn in and I want move on from a debate that's very well documented and done to death but it seems some folk are intent on being divisive. I probably shouldn't bite (read back; I have tried) but it really gets on my tits when I see a 'Red' piss on the name of a proper great who's gave so much for this club.

To that end and providing the haters don't push the envelope; I'll leave it there.

Good luck in your quest.  :gt-happyup:
      « Last Edit: Oct 16, 2013 11:56:14 am by bad boy bubby »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #137: Oct 16, 2013 11:49:39 am
      Reading you loud and clear mate and fair play to you.

So, you equate me to being a hater because I don't share the view that Comolli had a 50% role in the management department?  How erroneous.

Like you said being the manager of a club has many things that need attending to, so how negotiating contracts, wages and fees constitutes 50% of management, I do not know.
      « Last Edit: Oct 16, 2013 11:55:08 am by Beerbelly »

Quick Reply