Trending Topics

Kenny Dalglish returns to Liverpool on board of directors

Read 14183 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Re: Kenny Dalglish returns to Liverpool on board of directors
      Reply #138: Oct 16, 2013 12:00:05 pm
      I don't know how a Director of Football constitutes to 50% of 'Manager'.  ???

I don't remember seeing Comolli in the dugout aka Houllier/Evans discussing tactics with Dalglish, or for that matter on the pitches at Melwood training the team.

On his appointment by FSG his brief was to monitor the activities of the manager on behalf of the owners, a task by it's nature not suited to being located on the same seating arrangement at every opportunity as KD.
      Comolli would have been charged with overseeing transfer targets, the acqisition of the same and the actual negotiations; at the same time relaying records of events to JWH in his Boston enclave.
      The anology with Evans or Houllier does not bear scrutiny, being as they were an entirely different set of events with a myriad of varying affecting factors.   
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #139: Oct 16, 2013 12:05:57 pm
      On his appointment by FSG his brief was to monitor the activities of the manager on behalf of the owners, a task by it's nature not suited to being located on the same seating arrangement at every opportunity as KD.
      Comolli would have been charged with overseeing transfer targets, the acqisition of the same and the actual negotiations; at the same time relaying records of events to JWH in his Boston enclave.
      The anology with Evans or Houllier does not bear scrutiny, being as they were an entirely different set of events with a myriad of varying affecting factors.   

Thanks for the amicable response, I suspect abuse (not by you) will be thrown about if I said any different.

But the analogy with Evans and Houllier is what I would call pretty much 50/50 of the daily running of the club - something Comolli had no part in, he was in an 'upstairs' role, who may have overseen a few things but I still cannot believe he had 50% control as manager. That, for me, doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Unless, there is evidence to the contrary this to me is Red tinted conjecture.

Apologies for swerving this topic off course, if it's been discussed before I won't carry this on, suffice to say, we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree with each other - even though the 'hater' tag is nothing but an ad hom straw-man argument, a very low debating tactic.
      « Last Edit: Oct 16, 2013 12:22:02 pm by Beerbelly »
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #140: Oct 16, 2013 12:24:19 pm
      We have had a topic or three discussing KK's reign and Damien's part in it, so wondering what KK's duties, beyond the obvious ambassadorial role, will be.
      me two mate, not got a clue what else he will be doing apart from speaking around the world and promoting the brand of LFC. Quality job by the sounds of it better than having the stress of gaffa. Dont think he will touch transfers, style of play etc but might assist in public matters with the press or even discipline of players if any of them do a "Suarez" haha. either way happy the King is back as hes a great people person and lives and breathes the club. With BR at the helm and KK in the back seat giving him advice and his wisdom we cant go far wrong. Long live the king and InBrendanWeTrust
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #141: Oct 16, 2013 12:51:51 pm

Thanks for the amicable response, I suspect abuse (not by you) will be thrown about if I said any different.

But the analogy with Evans and Houllier is what I would call pretty much 50/50 of the daily running of the club - something Comolli had no part in, he was in an 'upstairs' role, who may have overseen a few things but I still cannot believe he had 50% control as manager. That, for me, doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Exactly why I referred to seating ''arrangements'' previously, there were certain aspects of the managerial roll that JWH desired monitoring ie financial ramifications etc, that could only be examined in a hands-on situation. Not specifically on the bench during the game as any peripheral managerial activity would not be relative to such an arena, his appointment required overseeing the finances involved in transfer activity for example and relaying such information to the owners.

Whether this arrangement and the result of a rather convoluted process affected KD's position is anybody's guess although any positivity would be minimal.

Apologies for swerving this topic off course, if it's been discussed before I won't carry this on, suffice to say, we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree with each other - even though the 'hater' tag is nothing but an ad hom straw-man argument, a very low debating tactic.

The ''hater'' tag does nobody any favours and clouds the discussion.
      « Last Edit: Oct 16, 2013 12:57:25 pm by stuey »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #142: Oct 16, 2013 01:45:35 pm
      Fair enough Stuey.

Thanks for the sensible discussion.  :gt-happyup:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #143: Oct 16, 2013 02:17:03 pm
      Fair enough Stuey.

Thanks for the sensible discussion.  :gt-happyup:

Fair play to you mate, no reason it should be anything else - thank you.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #144: Oct 16, 2013 07:48:49 pm

But the analogy with Evans and Houllier is what I would call pretty much 50/50 of the daily running of the club -stand something Comolli

I do not believe that Roy Evans and Houllier ran the club on a 50/50 basis and that was why Roy Evans gave the job awayAt the start we were led to believe that was how it was going to be but in practise I think Houllier had the bigger say.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #145: Oct 17, 2013 09:23:38 am
      The ''hater'' tag does nobody any favours and clouds the discussion.
      It clouds no discussion mate.

What "clouds" discussion is people going off topic by... changing the debate to get a dig in at Kenny, seeing themselves in a general description (when no-one has actually labelled any individual), with no "abuse" levelled and then mewling, looking sympathy because they have put themselves into that described category.

What does "nobody any favours", in sensible debate, mate is not a generic description but calling other posters "imbecile" and "dickhead", for example.  :-\

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On topic: as previously stated - I'm glad Kenny is back, irrespective of perceived motive and see his return as an attempt to build bridges and returning the heart n soul back to a club which has suffered, through a lot of division, in recent years.I'll take that and move on with the Club.
      « Last Edit: Oct 17, 2013 09:31:30 am by bad boy bubby »
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #146: Oct 17, 2013 10:17:35 am
      Can the two below just burry the hatchet now and lets get back to the topic of The King has returned to the club he loves, he will NOT be involved in picking the team or transfers he said that on LFCTV #LFCWORLD himself. Hes there to offer advice and guidance to those who wish to take it. He will be a little bite of moral and players will be able to chat to him and ask for advice as players. Who better for DS and LS to chat to about being a LFC striker that Kenny
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #147: Oct 17, 2013 11:50:21 am
      Can the two below just burry the hatchet now and lets get back to the topic of The King has returned to the club he loves, he will NOT be involved in picking the team or transfers he said that on LFCTV #LFCWORLD himself. Hes there to offer advice and guidance to those who wish to take it. He will be a little bite of moral and players will be able to chat to him and ask for advice as players. Who better for DS and LS to chat to about being a LFC striker that Kenny
      I'm a bit worried about where the hatchet would be buried.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #148: Oct 17, 2013 11:56:51 am

What "clouds" discussion is people going off topic by... changing the debate to get a dig in at Kenny, seeing themselves in a general description (when no-one has actually labelled any individual), with no "abuse" levelled and then mewling, looking sympathy because they have put themselves into that described category.

What does "nobody any favours", in sensible debate, mate is not a generic description but calling other posters "imbecile" and "dickhead", for example.  :-\

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On topic: as previously stated - I'm glad Kenny is back, irrespective of perceived motive and see his return as an attempt to build bridges and returning the heart n soul back to a club which has suffered, through a lot of division, in recent years.I'll take that and move on with the Club.

You asked me a question. i responded in kind, then the 'hater' tag was thrown in by you for good measure. So you may want to rethink who diverted discussion and who started the ad hom attacks, and if you believe my opinion was a "dig" at Kenny, then Stuey has certainly hit the nail on the head.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #149: Oct 17, 2013 12:27:46 pm
      If it were me in the position of Kenny I would have declined the offer,I could not justify FSG, snubbing me on the stairs of Wembley,sacking me & scapegoating the teams failure to break into the top 4 even though I won a Trophy after 6 years thrown in with 2 further visits to Wembley.

However I'm not Kenny & it shows the measure of the man who once again put the club & city first by returning to the club and giving us some of our identity back, even after being shafted by those who now wish to re-appoint Kenny as Non-exec Director.

Maybe John Henry & Tom Werner realised how much the brand/franchise was damaged or hurt without Kenny on board.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #150: Oct 17, 2013 02:35:05 pm
      If it were me in the position of Kenny I would have declined the offer,I could not justify FSG, snubbing me on the stairs of Wembley,sacking me & scapegoating the teams failure to break into the top 4 even though I won a Trophy after 6 years thrown in with 2 further visits to Wembley.

However I'm not Kenny & it shows the measure of the man who once again put the club & city first by returning to the club and giving us some of our identity back, even after being shafted by those who now wish to re-appoint Kenny as Non-exec Director.

Maybe John Henry & Tom Werner realised how much the brand/franchise was damaged or hurt without Kenny on board.

Or, just perhaps, people could stop selectively remembering what happened and recall that KK was offered the very same position when called over to Boston and refused it, stating that he wanted a "clean break". His own words.

Contrary to what some say, he wasn't just binned, he was offered the same upstairs role and refused it.
      I completely understand his reasons for doing this, and I think he was right, but that doesn't alter the fact that he was offered the role.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #151: Oct 17, 2013 05:34:41 pm

Or, to play devil's advocate, maybe the King realised they were right to sack him but thought he still had something to offer to the club.  :f_whistle:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #152: Oct 17, 2013 05:52:44 pm
      Or, just perhaps, people could stop selectively remembering what happened and recall that KK was offered the very same position when called over to Boston and refused it, stating that he wanted a "clean break". His own words.

Contrary to what some say, he wasn't just binned, he was offered the same upstairs role and refused it.
      I completely understand his reasons for doing this, and I think he was right, but that doesn't alter the fact that he was offered the role.

Not being selective at all Swab, I'm fully aware he was offered the position which he rightfully refused because it would have justified his sacking.

My point was if it were me I would have shown them the finger.

Or, to play devil's advocate, maybe the King realised they were right to sack him but thought he still had something to offer to the club.  :f_whistle:

It was never right to sack Kenny & replace him with someone of a inferior CV,Kenny got the bullet over Suarez, its that simple, our league finish was just an excuse required for his removal to stop the 'Brand' being damaged further,if it were the league position Rodgers would have & should have seen the door last season.

Any road, Dalglish!.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #153: Oct 17, 2013 06:01:32 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comment whatever on your good self mouse - a general observation in hindsight which I now see could be misconstrued as a slight when taken out of context. I wasn't up to speed with the full exchange of comment.
      If you are referring to my use of the word ''imbecile'' in the above post it was a reply to the wum Brilliant Babbel who was being his usual nobbish self in saying it is really me who consistently posts unadulterated nonesense, a comment worthy of a colourful reply.   
      « Last Edit: Oct 17, 2013 06:19:30 pm by stuey »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #154: Oct 17, 2013 06:23:49 pm

Are you disrespecting Kenny, are you saying he has no integrity becuase he took the position??

I don't think for one second you are btw I just wanted to illustrate how easy it is to twist someone's point.

My opinion is that King Kenny is a living legend and I'm glad he's back at the club but I stand by my view that his second stint as manager was very dissapointing. Sure there were other factors at work aside from him, but a lot of the blame for cr@p signings and uninspired style of play etc has to be apportioned to the manager at the time, unless you really think he was a lame duck puppet manager, in which case he deserves none of the credit either, like Suarez and the cup we won.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #155: Oct 18, 2013 07:22:04 am
      No comment whatever on your good self mouse - a general observation in hindsight which I now see could be misconstrued as a slight when taken out of context.
      No probs mate. If anyone cares to read all my post they will see that the word 'hate' is first used in the context that all parties should let go of it and move on, with both 'sides' giving a bit of space.

Either way; I've said all I need to on both what went before and the future. I'll take my lead from Kenny and "let go".
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #156: Oct 18, 2013 11:14:37 am
      No probs mate. If anyone cares to read all my post they will see that the word 'hate' is first used in the context that all parties should let go of it and move on, with both 'sides' giving a bit of space.

Either way; I've said all I need to on both what went before and the future. I'll take my lead from Kenny and "let go".

Well said mate.
      If a few more people in the echelons of power mirrored KD's conduct and loyalty, the club would be in a better place.

Quick Reply