Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Who's our best Midfield 2 and temp No. 10 whilst Coutinho is out?

Read 4722 times
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Who's our best Midfield 2 and temp No. 10 whilst Coutinho is out?
      Oct 09, 2013 04:33:02 pm
      For me i would play Henderson and Gerrard together with Alberto as no 10, why did we buy a no 10 for that price if we didnt trust to put him in at home to Palace??

Henderson is a ball player he loves to play football and doesnt matter which postion he gives it his all, could we stick lucas as RWB no, could we stick Lucas as a No 10 but we could with Henderson and I dont think he gets the credit he deserves. As soon as his confidence to start doing some more risky crosses and shooting kicks in we might actually have a £16mil worth player. Lucas is then great cover for Gerrard as the senior DM player who we could bring on to hold onto a win etc. just a thought guys but interseted to see whats your choice and why
      « Last Edit: Oct 09, 2013 08:15:18 pm by MsGerrard »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Re: Whos our best MIDField 2 and temp NO 10 whilst Coutniho is out
      Reply #1: Oct 09, 2013 04:37:25 pm
      I know it will never happen under Brendan but I would like to see this given a go

Lucas  Allen

Gerrard

Lucas as thr DM, Allen as the one more advanced and Stevie sitting just behind Suarez and Sturridge and linking up with the attack. Gerrard wouldn't have to do too much work here and a three at the back would give that extra assurance so that he doesn't have to rush bakc and help the midfield.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2: Oct 09, 2013 05:59:18 pm
       By default the midfield two is Gerrard and Henderson. Both practically pick themselves, Gerrard being the best holder by miles and Henderson the only midfielder we have bar Allen who can get about the pitch. Alberto will come, but he's a kid and I have no problem with the job Moses is doing in there.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3: Oct 09, 2013 06:08:46 pm
      Excellent, just what we need.
      Another thread to slag off one of our best players.

We already have "is lucas holding us back" and the player thread.
      This is just more of the same.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: Oct 09, 2013 06:12:07 pm
      Gerrard and the midfielder we buy at Christmas :)

I honestly believe we can very easily improve on any of the other 3 midfielders Henderson, Lucas or Allen. Considering we paid the best part of £40million for the 3 of them, Lucas excluded we haven't really had the sort of return for our money we could have expected up to now.

I think we missed a trick in not signing Eriksen who would have slotted in nicely while Coutinho is injured, but hopefully Moses will not have to cover for the loss of Coutinho for much longer, although to be fair to Moses, I think he has shown he could adapt to the role given time.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #5: Oct 09, 2013 06:13:01 pm
             Hendo
      Lucas    Gerrard

is our best combination IMO whether Coutinho is fit or not.

This is how I want us to play:

Sturridge
      Suarez                Coutinho
                   Hendo
               Lucas      Gerrard

Hendo, Suarez and Coutinho have the inteligence to switch positions regularly and can cause troubles there. Hendo is less dangerous on the wing while Coutinho is a threat anywhere. The midfield is also stronger(stamina) and Coutinho does not have the fitness to play 90 min properly.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6: Oct 09, 2013 06:55:59 pm
      Henderson Lucas
           Gerrard

I still think Gerrard doesn't have the engine to play the deeper role on a regular basis anymore and pushing him further up may give us those much needed goals from midfield.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5047 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Who's our best MIdfield 2 and temp No. 10 whilst Coutniho is out?
      Reply #7: Oct 09, 2013 08:13:02 pm
      As a temporary measure I'd put Hendo in the hole until Coutinho returns, he can link up with both SaS as a top. 3 and has the engine to link with midfield,

Eventually Alberto will fill in once he gains enough experience, Gerrard and Lucas will dictate the pace and tempo depending who we're playing, if we are up against it Hendo can drop back to reinforce midfield and Luis can take Hendo's position;

Mignolet
           Toure. Skrtle. Sakho
      Moses.                      Enrique
                Gerrard.Lucas
                      Hendo
              Suarez
                         Sturridge
                        Or

Mignolet
          Toure. Skrtel. Sakho
      Moses.                   Enrique
                     Lucas
             Gerrard. Hendo
                   Suarez
                  Sturridge

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: Who's our best Midfield 2 and temp No. 10 whilst Coutinho is out?
      Reply #8: Oct 09, 2013 08:43:02 pm
      Excellent, just what we need.
      Another thread to slag off one of our best players.

We already have "is lucas holding us back" and the player thread.
      This is just more of the same.

Yeah - we're JOINT TOP.
      We've the same lads playing week in week out in the centre.
      We don't can't rotate like Chelsea or Shitty etc.
      Eventually you have to think we'll suffer because of that, but we still hanging on in there. So fair play to SG, Lucas and Hendo so far.
      If we're still not far of the top come Jan, BR needs to freshen things up in the middle and bring in at least 1 more (decent quality) to help carry the 2nd half of the season.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #9: Oct 10, 2013 10:24:36 am
      By default the midfield two is Gerrard and Henderson. Both practically pick themselves, Gerrard being the best holder by miles and Henderson the only midfielder we have bar Allen who can get about the pitch. Alberto will come, but he's a kid and I have no problem with the job Moses is doing in there.
      agree with you there mate, do you think we will make the Moses deal permiant? I t hink we will as on paper he wont get into a Chelsea side under the "twaty one" and i think he knows that. I reckon he wants the deal to be perminant as when he's getting interviewed he talks about LFC as if we are his perminant club
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #10: Oct 10, 2013 10:30:42 am
      Yeah - we're JOINT TOP.
      We've the same lads playing week in week out in the centre.
      We don't can't rotate like Chelsea or Shitty etc.
      Eventually you have to think we'll suffer because of that, but we still hanging on in there. So fair play to SG, Lucas and Hendo so far.
      If we're still not far of the top come Jan, BR needs to freshen things up in the middle and bring in at least 1 more (decent quality) to help carry the 2nd half of the season.
      Totally agree with you both, i'm not saying lucas is a "bad" player far from it what i'm saying is we need a "top quality" energetic mid player to help give us some power and pace in the middle something we lack.  A mascarino type player would be perfect, what do you guys think of Diame or Dembelle if we could land one of them two
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #11: Oct 10, 2013 02:27:21 pm
      Whilst Coutinho is out, we're short of a number 10, plain and simple. If it was me, I'd put Gerrard there and play Hendo in Stevie's current role alongside Lucas. Gerrard could comfortably do a job behind Suarez and Sturridge, in fact I think we'd score even more with Stevie further forward. Can't believe the shouts in some of the other threads for Stevie to be dropped, amazes me.

When Coutinho is fit then it's the normal three of Stevie, Lucas and Coutinho as the no.10.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #12: Oct 10, 2013 03:17:24 pm
      Whilst Coutinho is out, we're short of a number 10, plain and simple. If it was me, I'd put Gerrard there and play Hendo in Stevie's current role alongside Lucas. Gerrard could comfortably do a job behind Suarez and Sturridge, in fact I think we'd score even more with Stevie further forward. Can't believe the shouts in some of the other threads for Stevie to be dropped, amazes me.

When Coutinho is fit then it's the normal three of Stevie, Lucas and Coutinho as the no.10.
      its worth a shot, gives stevie a bit more freedom and saves his legs abit
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #13: Oct 10, 2013 05:01:54 pm
      its worth a shot, gives stevie a bit more freedom and saves his legs abit

Gerrard playing further forward will never happen under Rodgers as srslfc said earlier. He seems to want the captain playing deeper, with the feeling that he'll control the game from the middle of the park which is understandable. But he's been off form this season and struggled to get a foothold within the games we've played in so I'd try him further forward and see if he can recapture his form of old.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #14: Oct 11, 2013 09:08:02 am
      I would also give Alberto a shot in the no 10 role otherwise he was yet another "one for the future" which is good to have future options but not at that price! We have a great U21 side so why do we need to pay x amount for players similar age who dont feature at home to Palace, who are the worst side in the league. If he cant play at home against teams like Palace when can he play and could we have used that money to push through and some of the deals we missed out on this summer.

I rate Alberto but just feel we may have been over charged, really hope he gets a go in that no 10 role from the start of a game to see how he is. 
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #15: Oct 14, 2013 12:28:53 pm
      Gerrard is our best midfielder. After that it's a bit sparse. Henderson has improved a lot over the last few months, he'll never be that great, or be the sort of player who takes control of games, but he is functional enough.

We need a new CM badly.

As for Joe Allen. God only knows. He had a decent enough start, but was then largely abysmal.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #16: Oct 14, 2013 10:24:47 pm
      Gerrard-Lucas for me any day
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #17: Oct 15, 2013 10:26:30 am
      would you still use Lucas in home games against "lesser" teams or would you not think a more dynamic player would be benificaial. if we are playing with 5 defenders if you include the wing backs. We would have 3 CB so why do we even need a DM? i think Lucas is great for them tricky away games but dont think we need to affectivly DM in him and Gerrard as it gives teams more possesion in the middle of the park as our two sit back. Just a thought but I think we scrap the DM role and either play Henderson, Alberto or Allen alongside Gerrard to do alot more the running for Gerrard that would then give him more of a advanced role.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Oct 15, 2013 11:16:01 am
      Play a diamond.
      Use all the midfielders.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #19: Oct 15, 2013 11:19:40 am
      Play a diamond.
      Use all the midfielders.
      Who would you have at the top of the dimond Gerrard with Lucas and Henderson behind?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Oct 15, 2013 11:42:21 am
                          Lucas

Henderson.            Gerrard

Moses/Alberto

Effectively works similar to a 3-5-2.
      3-5-2 being more beneficial given our squad strength.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #21: Oct 15, 2013 11:53:04 am
                          Lucas

Henderson.            Gerrard

Moses/Alberto

Effectively works similar to a 3-5-2.
      3-5-2 being more beneficial given our squad strength.
      will be interesting to see what happens against the toon as Lucas is now back but IMO Henderson did enough last week to not get dropped. if he goes with that formation I would choose Alberto with Moses to come on and make an impact as he's direct and fast.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #22: Oct 15, 2013 12:39:23 pm
      I'm sure Hendo would be a star at this no.10 spot in the current formation.

Quick Reply