Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Seeds for 2014 WC in Brazil?

Read 1890 times
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Seeds for 2014 WC in Brazil?
      Sep 12, 2013 03:01:47 pm
      I was wondering what criteria will FIFA use to determine the seeded teams for the WC. I know they will change last minute to better suit their need$, but based on this months FIFA Ranking, and if they use a similar criteria as in 2010, seeded teams should be:

Brazil as hosts
      Spain
      Argentina
      Germany
      Italy
      Colombia
      Belgium
      Uruguay

Since its impossible that 4 seeded teams are from South America, my guess is either Uruguay or Colombia will be thrown out to accomodate the mighty English, France,the Netherlands or the best ranked African team (Blatter looooooves their votes), at this moment Ivory Coast.

Colobia is better placed on the ranking than Uruguay, but if they base their decission on the fact that Uruguay is the reigning South AMerican Champion, 4th on the last WC and that they are indeed 2 times winners of the thing, it might go their way. Too tough to call.

What do you guys think on the sbject?
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2013 03:15:54 pm by QuicoGalante »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Seeds for 2014 WC in Brazil?
      Reply #1: Sep 12, 2013 03:06:55 pm
      Never spent much time thinking about the subject as Brazil are part of the seeded teams in every competition since I can remember.
      I do find it really weird how the criteria can/will change for each World Cup.
      What does the rule of the competition say about it? FIFA have the power to pick them as they wish?
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #2: Sep 12, 2013 03:18:20 pm
      Never spent much time thinking about the subject as Brazil are part of the seeded teams in every competition since I can remember.
      I do find it really weird how the criteria can/will change for each World Cup.
      What does the rule of the competition say about it? FIFA have the power to pick them as they wish?
      No rules, FIFA makes it up as they go. The rankings are bullshit, but if they say its the criteria, at least we would know how it works. Have a benchmark.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #3: Sep 12, 2013 09:52:53 pm
      I don't think they have rules for this, in Germany 2006 (if I remember correctly) Mexico was one of the seeded teams. The Mexican reporters were saying that if the US finished first on CONCACAF they were going to be one of the 8 seeded teams, don't know if this is true.

I think 7 of the seeded temams will be: Brazil, Germany, England, Spain, Argentina, Netherlands and Italy. Not sure who is going to be the number 8.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #4: Sep 13, 2013 02:12:42 am
      I don't think they have rules for this, in Germany 2006 (if I remember correctly) Mexico was one of the seeded teams. The Mexican reporters were saying that if the US finished first on CONCACAF they were going to be one of the 8 seeded teams, don't know if this is true.

I think 7 of the seeded temams will be: Brazil, Germany, England, Spain, Argentina, Netherlands and Italy. Not sure who is going to be the number 8.
      On 2010 they used the fifa rankings

South Africa (hosts)   85
       Brazil   1
       Spain   2
       Netherlands   3
       Italy   4
       Germany   5
       Argentina   6
       England   7

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #5: Sep 14, 2013 03:02:35 pm
      On 2010 they used the fifa rankings

South Africa (hosts)   85
       Brazil   1
       Spain   2
       Netherlands   3
       Italy   4
       Germany   5
       Argentina   6
       England   7
      hopefully it will be rankings, id love for England to face Uruguay in the group stage.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #6: Sep 14, 2013 05:10:46 pm
      hopefully it will be rankings, id love for England to face Uruguay in the group stage.
      Yeah, me too. We never lost a competitive match against them!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #7: Sep 14, 2013 05:24:32 pm
      Yeah, me too. We never lost a competitive match against them!
      in competitive games Uragauy beat England once.  That was 1954. A competitive fixture is long overdue. I won't count the weakened Team GB  victory over the full strength Uruguay Olympic team.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #8: Sep 15, 2013 01:00:58 am
      in competitive games Uragauy beat England once.  That was 1954. A competitive fixture is long overdue. I won't count the weakened Team GB  victory over the full strength Uruguay Olympic team.

Yep, won once in 54 and drew the other in 66. On friendlies its 3-3. Still my point stands, on competitive matches, we have never lost against England.
      I agree an offal match is overdue, and id love to see it in the next WC
      Olympics nowadays is U23, so i dont see where you are going. Want to count the U 20 as well?

Anyway, this is not a dick measuring contest, do you have any actual input or info on the topic?
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #9: Oct 16, 2013 03:29:44 pm
      Ok, final seeds for the 2014 WC have been confirmed:

1)Brazil as hosts
      2) Spain               1st in the October Fifa rankings
      3)Argentina           2nd
      4)Germany            you get the point!
      5)Colombia
      6)Belgium
      7)Switzerland
      8) Uruguay pending the playoff match against Jordan. If they loose, its Holland that will take their place.

Interesting to see that England, Holland, Italy, France (if they make it trough) will end up in one of those groups. Will be a fun tournament to watch.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #10: Oct 25, 2013 11:33:14 am
      Being seeded means nothing anymore.  We could have been seeded and got Holland, would rather get Switzerland or Belgium as the seeded team and there can't be more than two European teams in a group anyway. People can boast till the cows come home about how much these new top seeded teams have improved but to face the facts they are  top seeds for 3 reasons.

1. Fifa still making friendly games count in the rankings.
      2. Most of them had easy groups.
      3. Teams get too many points from winning,  so called easier games compared to losing to a side of quality. For example, we would get more from a one goal victory v Poland than a draw with Germany.

When the groups do get drawn,  I expect teams like Italy to beat Belgium or maybe Holland to beat Colombia. As good as Uruguay are, I would rather have them than some of the unseeded teams. We'll be in pot 2 with the unseeded European teams that look better than some of the seeded teams.
      « Last Edit: Oct 25, 2013 11:44:14 am by Ribapuru »
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #11: Oct 25, 2013 01:04:25 pm
      Being seeded means nothing anymore.  We could have been seeded and got Holland, would rather get Switzerland or Belgium as the seeded team and there can't be more than two European teams in a group anyway. People can boast till the cows come home about how much these new top seeded teams have improved but to face the facts they are  top seeds for 3 reasons.

1. Fifa still making friendly games count in the rankings.
      2. Most of them had easy groups.
      3. Teams get too many points from winning,  so called easier games compared to losing to a side of quality. For example, we would get more from a one goal victory v Poland than a draw with Germany.

When the groups do get drawn,  I expect teams like Italy to beat Belgium or maybe Holland to beat Colombia. As good as Uruguay are, I would rather have them than some of the unseeded teams. We'll be in pot 2 with the unseeded European teams that look better than some of the seeded teams.

Being seeded would mean you would DEFINITELY avoid Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Germany...vs the chance of MAYBE getting Colombia, the Swiss, Belgium or Uruguay.

Its all up to "luck" if Fifa dont cheat on the draw as usual.

As far as the Fifa Rankings system goes, i agree with the concept: They are Bullshit. But your point that losing to a good team is better than winning against a lesser team is bollocks. Losing is losing no matter how you look at it.

UEFA and CONMEBOL receive better points per match won/drawn that the rest of the confederations because their competitive level is higher.

Quick Reply