Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Pre-match thread: Liverpool vs West Brom - 26th Oct 3pm

Read 8533 times
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Pre-match thread: Liverpool vs West Brom - 26th Oct 3pm
      Oct 24, 2013 10:25:42 am

So we have to get over the disappointment after the game against Newcastle where we dropped 2 points. we are now in 3rd place, dropping after that result, while West Brom sit in 12th.

West Brom will certainly be no pushovers and are unbeaten in their last 5. Their away from is decent, winning 1 & drawing 3 of their last 4 away games. Our home form is good, winning 3 of our previous 4. it's gonna be tricky but we certainly should be looking to get maximum points here.

Our recent form against West Brom is not good at all, we lost home and away last season. The home game on the Monday night that was very frustrating, something that was very clearly heard from the home fans. The season before, under Kenny, we also lost 1-0 at home.

The team I would go with would be this, just 2 changes.

Mignolet
                     Toure              Srktel              Sahko
      Johnson           Lucas                Gerrard             Enrique
                                            Henderson
                               Sturridge           Suarez

The last Liverpool - West Brom game I was at, we lsot 1-0. Here's hoping it's not the same result again this weekend!!
      « Last Edit: Oct 24, 2013 10:36:44 am by little-Luis:) »
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Re: Pre-match thread: Liverpool vs West Brom - 26th Oct 3pm
      Reply #1: Oct 24, 2013 10:34:59 am
      I believe we are 3rd :) xxxxx:action-smiley-065: :D ;D >:D
      • Started Topic

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #2: Oct 24, 2013 10:37:18 am
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #3: Oct 24, 2013 10:38:53 am
      Tough game. Steve Clarke has strengthened his side even further this season. They are very well organized and have goals in them. Predict a narrow victory so will go with 2:1 win for us SaS to score the goals.
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #4: Oct 24, 2013 10:42:25 am
      Cant wait for this one! Heading over with my good buddy little - luis!! West Brom are efficient, hard working and Steve Clark has them playing good footie after a slow start to the season.

We need to pick up all 3 here as home form is vital to our top 4/ "Title" push :)

Id go with:

Mignolet
                     Toure             Agger              Sahko
      Johnson           Henderson               Gerrard             Enrique
                                            Alberto
                               Sturridge           Suarez
      Liam_Baggies
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #5: Oct 24, 2013 12:55:57 pm
      Really looking forward to this game - I get shivers when I think of how far we have come. There used to be a time when we'd come to Liverpool and be lucky if you didn't score four or more. Totally different ball game these days.

We've been very good away from home and defended very well - we really should have beaten Stoke had it not been for some poor finishing in-front of goal. Again, that was our downfall at Fulham too.

I expect us to line up something like

Myhill

Jones      McAuley           Olsson      Ridgewell

Yacob              Mulumbu

Amalfitano       Sessegnon         Brunt/Berahino

Anichebe

I would imagine our game plan will be to allow you to have possession of the ball in areas which won't hurt. We'll be compact and organised defensively looking to minimise the pace for Sturridge and Suarez to work in. We might concede area out wide but naturally with McAuley and Olsson we should be well equiped to deal with crosses into our box. We went to Man United and gave a really good account of ourselves, taking the game to them when we had the ball and I expect something similar on Saturday. If we're going to do that then it's important Sessegnon and Amalfitano have good games. I look at Gerrard and Lucas and think mobility may be a problem so I certainly think Sessegnon will get some joy in those middle areas of the pitch.

Whether we get something from the game will depend on our finishing in-front of goal and whether the Mulumbu/Yacob axis can get to grips with the game. They bullied both Man United and Arsenal.
      • Started Topic

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #6: Oct 24, 2013 01:12:18 pm
      I look at Gerrard and Lucas and think mobility may be a problem

You certainly have that right. It's why I hope Henderson starts. He certainly adds mobility.

Where would you say ye're weak points are? full backs?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Oct 24, 2013 01:17:15 pm
      Tough 90 minutes in store here and even tougher unless we bin the 3 4 3. We are pedestrian at midfield having no effect on games really. Back to 4 2 3 1

Mignolet
      Johnson Toure Sakho Cissokho
                    Lucas Agger
      Suarez     Gerrard    Moses
                       Sturridge

Liam_Baggies
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #8: Oct 24, 2013 01:34:54 pm
      You certainly have that right. It's why I hope Henderson starts. He certainly adds mobility.

Where would you say ye're weak points are? full backs?

Certainly the full back areas - Liam Ridgewell in particular.

We tend to defend quite narrow so by the time ball gets wide there's usually space for the attack unless the wide midfielders have done their jobs appropriately. Billy Jones has improved massively this season.

The other weakness for me is that our two centre halves will struggle against the more 'technical' players if they're not offered protection by Yacob or Mulumbu. Get behind those two and that's where you can cause most damage - naturally they are pretty close to our centre back minimising the space so it doesn't happen too often unless we've caught out further up the pitch.

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=12274.0

In the link above is our forum talking about our weaknesses.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Oct 24, 2013 01:38:26 pm
      Hopefully we will revert back to the 4-3-3 now.

Mignolet

Johnson               Toure      Sakho         Enrique

Allen          Gerrard          Lucas

Coutinho/Henderson

Sturridge  Suarez

Maybe bring Moses on to give us some width in the second half if we need it. 
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #10: Oct 24, 2013 04:30:14 pm
      Let me start by giving great credit to Steve Clarke. He's one of the most tactically astute managers in the league for me (learning from Jose Mourinho and Kenny Dalglish can't harm you I guess). What I liked about him last season was how pro-active he was. He'd rotate depending on who the Baggies were facing, and the opposition's strengths and weaknesses. Lukaku up top for some games, Long others, etc. Trust me, their finishing 8th was no fluke.

The impression I get from their team is that of a defensively sound, very organised side. Olsson and McAuley are centre backs of an old fashioned mould, big bruisers and battlers who give 110% and no less. They remind me a bit of the Birmingham pairing from a few years back, Roger Johnson and Scott Dann. Better than the sum of its parts. That pair kept loads of clean sheets because they had such a good understanding and were set up to their strengths, much like West Brom's pair. They have plenty of protection to the side and ahead of them. Their full-backs are both old school, too. Neither Ridgewell or Billy Jones are going to bomb forward at every possible opportunity, because both are first and foremost defenders, there to keep out the opposition at all costs. Jones I think is underrated, a good player who's come along way since being a CM legend for his versatility! Ridgewell's okay, but I do think he is their main weakness and can be exposed by skill and pace, of which we have plenty down that side in the form of Johnson, while SaS may feel inclined to drift out there if they sense Ridgewell can be got at.

Mulumbu and Yacob is a really solid double pivot at the heart of their midfield. Both are warriors who cover every blade of grass, and I'm sure they will be instructed to stay fairly close to our front pair so as to allow Olsson and McAuley to be caught in 2v2 situations against SaS.

While I do think WBA are mainly set up to soak up pressure, make no mistake about their attacking credentials. Berahino, Sessegnon and Amalfitano is a good attacking midfield trio with plenty of pace and poise. They could trouble us if we're immobile as we have been in some games this season. Lucas in particular will need to be alert around Sessegnon. Then up top they've got plenty of options. I doubt Vydra will start but it could be any of Anichebe/Anelka/Long. Clarke opted for Long in both games last season, who worked his bollocks off before Lukaku was thrown on to score against our tired defence on each occasion. I reckon they may go with the Lukaku-lite, Anichebe, from the start due to his Everton link and therefore big determination to 'do us'. His pace and power would be worrying last season, as it was with Lukaku, but Toure and Sakho are much better physically than Skrtel and Agger so should be able to deal with that. Else they could go with Anelka's experience and link-up ability, or Long's never-say-die-attitude which would add further food for thought for us when it comes to dealing with pace. I'd like to think we can deal with all three of those, however. Their AM three is more of a threat for me, even if they bring in, say, Sinclair, for one of them.

I earmarked Southampton as a massive banana skin and was unfortunately proven right. WBA are slightly less of a threat for me at Anfield, but still it will be a real toughie. They don't press to the extent of Saints, instead sitting deep with men behind the ball to combat their weakness of being exposed behind their slow defence. They'll then look to hit us on the counter attack with their front four. Either that, or they may be thinking they could unlock us from a set-piece a la last season via McAuley, which is our obvious flaw seeing as the likes of Southampton, Crystal Palace and Newcastle have punished us there already in the league this season.

Coutinho will be a miss, especially with them likely to sit deep and challenge us to unlock their watertight defence. Alberto could be useful from the start for this. I certainly hope we don't persist with Moses in the hole, as he's quite clearly a winger. Ideally, we switch back to 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. Put Suarez or Sturridge on Ridgewell, it's not like they'll need to track back much because he barely gets forward. That way we also get to play three in the middle, which will be useful against their mobile midfield and lessens the chances of us being overrun. Gerrard would also hopefully get more time to work some magic on the ball if he has others around him taking up some Baggies players' positions.

WBA have been a bogey team for us of late. Four wins in five against us in the league. Let's put an end to that. It will be tough. I'd love a good performance to go with a comfortable win but acknowledge that won't be easy, with us not yet reaching the performance heights of last season.

Therefore, a narrow 2-1 win with SaS each bagging would suffice.

Come on Redmen!
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #11: Oct 24, 2013 05:24:37 pm
      'Coutinho and Enrique will both be missing for the visit of West Brom. Lucas Leiva will return to squad - James Pearce, Echo #LFC'

Therefore I would expect Johnson to play on the left and Henderson on the right, leaving Gerrard + Lucas in the middle.
      I would also like to see Alberto start over Moses, he looked class when he came on against Newcastle, created a good few chances in the short time he was on, if it doesnt work out, take him off.

Mignolet
                    Toure     Skrtel    Agger
            Henderson  Gerrard  Lucas   Johnson
                               Alberto
                         Sturridge  Suarez

Jones; Kelly, Sakho; Allen?, Moses; Sterling, Ibe.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #12: Oct 24, 2013 05:50:24 pm
      'Coutinho and Enrique will both be missing for the visit of West Brom. Lucas Leiva will return to squad - James Pearce, Echo #LFC'

Given that news I'd like to see this

Mignolet

Toure  Skrtel  Sakho

Lucas

Johnson Gerrard Allen Moses

Suarez  Sturridge
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #13: Oct 24, 2013 05:59:53 pm
      Given that news I'd like to see this

Mignolet

Toure  Skrtel  Sakho

Lucas

Johnson Gerrard Allen Moses

Suarez  Sturridge

True, good idea that, allows Moses to play further out wide! Would swap Henderson in for Allen though.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #14: Oct 24, 2013 06:56:30 pm
      Mignolet; Johnson, Toure, Sakho, Cissokho; Lucas, Allen; Suarez, Gerrard, Ibe; Sturridge.

Think Hendo could do with a bit of a break really.
      Liam_Baggies
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #15: Oct 24, 2013 08:16:30 pm
      Gareth McAuley - 14/1 - anytime scorer.

With your vulnerability at set pieces, worth a fiver surely?  ;D
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Oct 24, 2013 08:59:04 pm
      The 0-2 defeat at home to WB for me was the lowest point of last season. Christ, that goal from McAuley took serious wind out of the sails.
      Would love to put that right at the weekend and stuff these guys.
      They are a solid side and have made some decent signings like Sessenon, Amalfitano, guys who can get a goal from not much at all.
      But they're nothing to be scared of, we should have enough to put them away.
      With the form of Suarez and Sturridge, SG getting the 100 goal monkey off the back, the 0-2 result pinned to the wall, and home advantage, expecting 3 points.
      Just hope it's still not 0-0 with 10 mins to go ...
      « Last Edit: Oct 24, 2013 09:10:59 pm by bmck »
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #17: Oct 24, 2013 10:03:07 pm
      Get back to a back four is what I want to see for this one. They will be very well organised so let's play a formation that offers the best movement and opportunities for fluid play. 3-5-2 is quite one dimensional and with Jonno back I see no reason to play lung backs for the 4th straight game.

I'd go with:

Mignolet

Johnson       Toure     Skrtel     Cissoko

Allen.     Gerrard

Sturridge.      Alberto.      Moses

Suarez

I've got no problems breaking up the Suarez Sturridge partnership in terms of them playing side by side. The movement of both players is so good they will interchange and link no matter where you start them.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18: Oct 24, 2013 11:03:04 pm
      Nervous about this one. Not going to be a stroll in the park, that's for sure. I'll take a 1-0 win with Sturridge to get on the scoresheet, again. They have some very good players with a bit of pace so we have to mind our flanks and keep it real tight at the back. I'm pretty sure Johnson will fill one of the 4 back positions but not sure who Brendan will select in the other 3.
      COYR.
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #19: Oct 24, 2013 11:08:42 pm
      This lot beat Manure no way can we approach this thinking its an easy game, like we did against Southampton! Team for me is

Mignolet

Toure      Sakho
          Johnson                                               Enrique

Henderson      Gerrard       Lucas           Moses

Suarez    Sturridge

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2013 11:17:41 pm by chrislfc22 »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #20: Oct 25, 2013 06:55:31 am
      Difficult home game, against a much improved WBA side, who if I can remember correctly, did the double over us last season. I will try and be optimistic and go for a 2 1 win for the Reds, with Suarez on the score sheet.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #21: Oct 25, 2013 08:45:30 am
      This lot beat Manure no way can we approach this thinking its an easy game, like we did against Southampton! Team for me is

Mignolet

Toure      Sakho
          Johnson                                               Enrique

Henderson      Gerrard       Lucas           Moses

Suarez    Sturridge

Enrique is injured. Hate the thought of Henderson on the wing and we will be playing 3-5-2 again no doubt.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #22: Oct 25, 2013 08:50:10 am
      Ditch the 3 at the back experiment, just has not worked in opinion (mind you we are still 3rd). Straight back 4 and Alberto in at No 10.

Quick Reply