Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: LFC v West Brom

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.7%)
      Mama Sakho
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.5%)
      Lucas Leiva
      6 (4.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (1.5%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Aly Cissokho
      0 (0%)
      Luis Suarez
      124 (91.9%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Voting closed: Oct 29, 2013 06:15:24 pm

Liverpool 4-1 West Brom: In game and Post Match Happiness

Read 31472 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 West Brom: In game and Post Match Happiness
      Reply #414: Oct 27, 2013 01:46:09 pm
      Best performance of the season (90mins  :o ) IMO - no complaints as such. The quality of those goals alone, meant the "punters" got value for their money.

Think we looked good with three proper CM's, all of which had very good games. Henderson provided the energy and pressed high up the pitch, something Rodgers gave him credit for in the post match interview. Lucas looked recharged and played with confidence, easily his best performance this season. And Gerrard had a very good game. The three of them worked well.

Defense worries me a bit. Don't know why exactly (perhaps because I'm not keen of 3 Cb's) considering we have a surplus of defenders to choose from but it looks to me as though there is an accident waiting to happen.

Upfront, we have a lethal combo in Sturridge and Suarez, that chip from Sturridge was utter class.

Very happy man this week. Woo hoo.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #415: Oct 27, 2013 02:09:18 pm
      Luis took the piss yesterday and it was a pleasure to be there and watch him. He is just an absolute pain in the arse for any defender. Came very close to getting his hat-trick in the first half with a free kick that hit the 'post thingy' behind the goal which MOTD didn't bother with. And who'd have thought that on a panel consisting of Alan Hansen and Robbie Savage the one I'd be calling a tw*t after the programme had finished wouldn't be Savage. Hansen can F**k off now for me.

Skrtel defended well in parts but on another day with a different ref and a different striker he could have given away a pen and gifted the opposition a goal. Toure done his bits effectively and the only thing that surprised me about seeing him play for the first time in the flesh was the size of his F***ing arse!  Sakho was okay but had a couple of moments but I'm not sure whether they were down to being exposed by Cissokho who looked a bit iffy. The width and threat Johnno gives to us has been missed, definitely a case of not knowing what we had until it was gone. Hope the injury isn't serious?

Few people saying it would have been a cricket score if Coutinho was on instead of Hendo. I don't agree.

Hendo does the simple thing well but he is positionally excellent in my opinion. Okay, when he got himself into the final third his distribution could have been more ambitious but he pressed excellently and covered well allowing Gerrard to express himself a lot more and he was also there for his wingbacks when needed. Coutinho is an excellent player but I'm not sure Arsenal is the game to start him in. The manager has got a decision to make regarding his formations and personnel now. A nice problem though.

Anyhow, thought the midfield was very good yesterday.

Sturridge in the first half was a bit woeful. Attacks fell when he got the ball and gave it away or when he failed to control the ball but didn't he get the bit between his teeth for the second half? Was a beast.

I'm still not getting excited but I might do if we turn Arsenal over next week.

The Mig has got me a bit worried when crosses come into the box and the LB/LWB area also worries me but all in all that was a bit of performance from us yesterday.

If we can keep ourselves in the mix until January who knows what can happen.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #416: Oct 27, 2013 02:18:54 pm
      I've been stung way too many times in the past to think we're ready to challenge the top four. I'd be as delighted as anyone if we genuinely were. But for now, although we are playing some great stuff, I'm not sure if it's because we are a great side or if we are just overachieving

Time will tell but we're definitely going forward
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #417: Oct 27, 2013 02:25:51 pm
      Luis took the piss yesterday and it was a pleasure to be there and watch him. He is just an absolute pain in the arse for any defender. Came very close to getting his hat-trick in the first half with a free kick that hit the 'post thingy' behind the goal which MOTD didn't bother with. And who'd have thought that on a panel consisting of Alan Hansen and Robbie Savage the one I'd be calling a tw*t after the programme had finished wouldn't be Savage. Hansen can f**k off now for me.

Skrtel defended well in parts but on another day with a different ref and a different striker he could have given away a pen and gifted the opposition a goal. Toure done his bits effectively and the only thing that surprised me about seeing him play for the first time in the flesh was the size of his f**king arse!  Sakho was okay but had a couple of moments but I'm not sure whether they were down to being exposed by Cissokho who looked a bit iffy. The width and threat Johnno gives to us has been missed, definitely a case of not knowing what we had until it was gone. Hope the injury isn't serious?

Few people saying it would have been a cricket score if Coutinho was on instead of Hendo. I don't agree.

Hendo does the simple thing well but he is positionally excellent in my opinion. Okay, when he got himself into the final third his distribution could have been more ambitious but he pressed excellently and covered well allowing Gerrard to express himself a lot more and he was also there for his wingbacks when needed. Coutinho is an excellent player but I'm not sure Arsenal is the game to start him in. The manager has got a decision to make regarding his formations and personnel now. A nice problem though.

Anyhow, thought the midfield was very good yesterday.

Sturridge in the first half was a bit woeful. Attacks fell when he got the ball and gave it away or when he failed to control the ball but didn't he get the bit between his teeth for the second half? Was a beast.

I'm still not getting excited but I might do if we turn Arsenal over next week.

The Mig has got me a bit worried when crosses come into the box and the LB/LWB area also worries me but all in all that was a bit of performance from us yesterday.

If we can keep ourselves in the mix until January who knows what can happen.

That 'post thingy' is called a stantion mate,
      Didn't watch MOTD, why are you so pissed with Hansen , what did he say. ?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #418: Oct 27, 2013 03:06:30 pm
      That 'post thingy' is called a stantion mate,
      Didn't watch MOTD, why are you so pissed with Hansen , what did he say. ?

It might be that he said "as a defender I'd rather face Suarez and Sturridge than Rooney and Van Persie" implying that they were the better partnership.

I have to say I was a bit surprised by that, but to me it was meant as an honest assessment, and wasn't a put down or anything.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #419: Oct 27, 2013 03:33:31 pm
      All I want this season is to get 7 points from every 3 games and then we shall see where we will be at the end of the season.

Happy daysssss...... :D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,025 posts | 3959 
      Reply #420: Oct 27, 2013 03:53:57 pm
      It might be that he said "as a defender I'd rather face Suarez and Sturridge than Rooney and Van Persie" implying that they were the better partnership.

I have to say I was a bit surprised by that, but to me it was meant as an honest assessment, and wasn't a put down or anything.

Have to agree - I was puzzled and had to play it back to see if there was something I'd missed, as you say it sounded like a personal take on the situation and nothing dismissive.
      Hansen for me is the only one on there worth turning the volume up for.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #421: Oct 27, 2013 04:31:38 pm
      Fail to see where WAHS was so pissed with Hansen, it's only his opinion after all and not designed as being derogatory at all, towards SaS, can't see where the problem is tbh.

YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #422: Oct 27, 2013 04:58:01 pm
      Don't think I was over the top. I f**king cannot stand ex players going out of their way to tongue the arse of that Scum.

Just didn't like the way he was going to go with RVP and Shrek no matter what argument was put his way ahead of Studge and Luis and he was even prepared to bring league titles into it if he had to. He then immediately said that what Hendo was said was good as it was 'respectful to Sir Alex'.

After the disrespect that tw*ts shown this week? Na. After he's dedicated a chapter of his book to slag our club off, our captain off and aimed such an unprovoked and nasty personal attack on Rafa?

This is how it should be, f**k that scum down the East Lancs and f**k that pr**k Fergie and f**k any ex player who wants to go out of his way to arse lick them.

Kenny Dalglish on Alex Ferguson's autobiography: If Steven Gerrard isn't top class, why was Fergie desperate to sign him?
      BY KENNY DALGLISH

Sir Alex Ferguson is ­entitled to say whatever he wants about Manchester United in his latest autobiography. His words. His prerogative.

But there were a few things about the book and its timing that surprised me and many others, including United fans.

For a start, Sir Alex has written so many books already I’m not sure why he chose this one to settle so many old scores.

The timing is bad. It’s a bit strange to bring it out now when the new manager at the club needs help and support.

Its publication – and some of the upset it has caused at Old Trafford – is hardly ideal for "The Chosen One".

It was a bit odd to see Sir Alex’s comments on some of the players who had served him so well and had brought the club so much success, too.

The Scot made a big ­contribution but so did players such as Roy Keane, David Beckham and Ruud van ­Nistelrooy. It was sad Sir Alex felt the need to attack them after everything they had done for him and United.

As a manager, you are going to cross swords with players over the years and fall out with them. It is bound to happen.

But why dig all that up now and berate them in public? Sir Alex did not need to settle any scores because he brought ­tremendous success to the club.

Anyway, it is understandable that some players wanted to move on from United. It happens.

After all, he did not hesitate to move them on when he felt they were no longer of use.

It’s up to him what he says about United. It was his club.

But I did find it interesting that he saw fit to dedicate an entire chapter of his book to Liverpool Football Club.

I think a lot of people would have been interested to learn more about the Rock of Gibraltar story.

But there were only a few words about the racehorse and the controversy that caused so much upset at United and was part of the reason for his fall-out with Keane. Then he said that in his opinion the Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard was not “a top, top player”.

Considering he tried to buy him, it’s a strange statement straight away. Maybe he’s bitter that Steven didn’t want to go.

Ferguson must be the only person with any knowledge of football who does not regard Steven as a world-class player.

His performances over the years have spoken much louder than any of Ferguson’s words could.

He has acted with class on and off the pitch.

Maybe what’s eating Ferguson is that you can only imagine the success that United would have had with Steven in their team. It’s frightening.

And it would be scary to think of the trophies Liverpool would have missed out on without him.

He said he was not haunted by any of my signings at Liverpool, either.

Well, he may not have lost any sleep over them, but he certainly lost a few points.

Paisleydalglish
      Re: Liverpool vs West Brom: Live Thread
      Reply #423: Oct 27, 2013 05:54:29 pm
      it is amazing how a good result can change moral. It effects players and fans and we can take that to Arsenal next week.  Still not a fan of 3 at the back though.

Could you explain the tactical ins and outs of why you don't like 3 at back?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #424: Oct 27, 2013 06:19:02 pm

Give it a week it will be his favourite formation. The lad changes his mind more than he does his keks
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,025 posts | 3959 
      Reply #425: Oct 27, 2013 06:20:41 pm
      Don't think I was over the top. I f**king cannot stand ex players going out of their way to tongue the arse of that Scum.

Just didn't like the way he was going to go with RVP and Shrek no matter what argument was put his way ahead of Studge and Luis and he was even prepared to bring league titles into it if he had to. He then immediately said that what Hendo was said was good as it was 'respectful to Sir Alex'.

After the disrespect that tw*ts shown this week? Na. After he's dedicated a chapter of his book to slag our club off, our captain off and aimed such an unprovoked and nasty personal attack on Rafa?

This is how it should be, f**k that scum down the East Lancs and f**k that pr**k Fergie and f**k any ex player who wants to go out of his way to arse lick them.

Kenny Dalglish on Alex Ferguson's autobiography: If Steven Gerrard isn't top class, why was Fergie desperate to sign him?
      BY KENNY DALGLISH

Sir Alex Ferguson is ­entitled to say whatever he wants about Manchester United in his latest autobiography. His words. His prerogative.

But there were a few things about the book and its timing that surprised me and many others, including United fans.

For a start, Sir Alex has written so many books already I’m not sure why he chose this one to settle so many old scores.

The timing is bad. It’s a bit strange to bring it out now when the new manager at the club needs help and support.

Its publication – and some of the upset it has caused at Old Trafford – is hardly ideal for "The Chosen One".

It was a bit odd to see Sir Alex’s comments on some of the players who had served him so well and had brought the club so much success, too.

The Scot made a big ­contribution but so did players such as Roy Keane, David Beckham and Ruud van ­Nistelrooy. It was sad Sir Alex felt the need to attack them after everything they had done for him and United.

As a manager, you are going to cross swords with players over the years and fall out with them. It is bound to happen.

But why dig all that up now and berate them in public? Sir Alex did not need to settle any scores because he brought ­tremendous success to the club.

Anyway, it is understandable that some players wanted to move on from United. It happens.

After all, he did not hesitate to move them on when he felt they were no longer of use.

It’s up to him what he says about United. It was his club.

But I did find it interesting that he saw fit to dedicate an entire chapter of his book to Liverpool Football Club.

I think a lot of people would have been interested to learn more about the Rock of Gibraltar story.

But there were only a few words about the racehorse and the controversy that caused so much upset at United and was part of the reason for his fall-out with Keane. Then he said that in his opinion the Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard was not “a top, top player”.

Considering he tried to buy him, it’s a strange statement straight away. Maybe he’s bitter that Steven didn’t want to go.

Ferguson must be the only person with any knowledge of football who does not regard Steven as a world-class player.

His performances over the years have spoken much louder than any of Ferguson’s words could.

He has acted with class on and off the pitch.

Maybe what’s eating Ferguson is that you can only imagine the success that United would have had with Steven in their team. It’s frightening.

And it would be scary to think of the trophies Liverpool would have missed out on without him.

He said he was not haunted by any of my signings at Liverpool, either.

Well, he may not have lost any sleep over them, but he certainly lost a few points.

Fair enough Dave and I'll bet there aren't many on this forum who don't hate the arl piss head and echo your comments, in contrast the piece above by Kenny is a masterpiece of subtlety, the barbed comment jumps out and hit you between the eyes.
      Kenny is not sinking to his level, he has been known to let his emotion get the better of him and his comments have been used against him by the very same septic old b***ard he now confronts.
      Evra, Ferguson, Luis and JWH were the main players in that little drama and our man was humiliated and sacked as manager of the club he loves.
      It is not fear on his part, his attitude is borne through experience. There is more than one way to defeat the Ferguson mafia.
      To an extent the same could be said for the measured response of Henderson, Brendan and the none existent reply from Gerrard, on a public forum the tactics used by the devious old b***ard have to be countered and matched, Ferguson's desired response is rage and loss of control; Henderson talked about 'with the greatest respect' which we all know is bollocks, Ferguson's reputation is in shreds because people can see what a septic old c**t he really is - job's a gud'n.
      I believe Hansen is of the same mindset, he knows there's no need to go for the throat - the prey is fu**ed.
      Off camera he would probably F**k and blind Slur Alcho as well as anyone, on air he is dignity personified.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #426: Oct 27, 2013 06:55:21 pm
      just for a minute I was in a whole different thread. Anyhoo it works because the players are good in their respective positions and our
       full-backs can bomb on especially at home.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #427: Oct 27, 2013 07:29:28 pm
      just for a minute I was in a whole different thread. Anyhoo it works because the players are good in their respective positions and our

Oh I know Walt

Just intrigued as to why Rip doesn't like it..

Don't worry I don't expect an answer
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4942 
      Reply #428: Oct 27, 2013 07:53:01 pm

Agree.

Hansen was talking bollocks last night.

Oh I know Walt

Just intrigued as to why Rip doesn't like it..

Don't worry I don't expect an answer

You haven't read his detailed analysis in the Tactics thread yet then Jon? :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #429: Oct 27, 2013 08:01:57 pm
      Was very surprised at how West Brom played in the first half hour of the game. Was expecting a lot more of a tight fight from them. They were all over the show!

Pure class by us though. Very well deserved three points and those goals we scored were superb. Great to see a strike force like ours full of confidence.

WAHS - get to every game please lad!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #430: Oct 27, 2013 08:03:56 pm
      Agree.

Hansen was talking bollocks last night.

You haven't read his detailed analysis in the Tactics thread yet then Jon? :D

:D

Have to agree about Hansen and the point about "how many titles" just didn't make any sense whatsoever to me. As a partnership RVP and Rooney are more established of course but I personally believe that Sturridge and Suarez are better individually and as a pair.

I've no problem with him having an opinion the other way but with so much media bias against us it wouldn't hurt even if he thought RVP and Rooney were better he couldn't just play politically and throw superlatives at Suarez/Sturridge. There is a chance I suppose that he's as hurt as many of us about Suarez and with the expectancy that he'll leave doesn't want give him much credit at the moment, which again I find understandable. So I wouldn't judge him too harshly on that alone.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,366 posts | 1538 
      Reply #431: Oct 27, 2013 08:17:56 pm
      Probably the wrong thread to continue this on, but here goes.
      Following on from 'what a hit son' Paisley was by far the greatest manager ever. I think old smokey bacon face will go to his grave,  following a life of mental turmoil and torture, because he was never able to emulate what Bob achieved. In all his 25 years, there was never a consecutive nine year period, whichever years you choose to scan, where he got close to achieving what Bob did. That I think is the main reason for his hatred of Liverpool. There has been suggestions that Bob Paisley should receive a posthumous knighthood, but they don't do that. Never have. What is needed is a statue akin to that of Shankley, who built the foundations of the club for Bob to continue his success.
      But where would the statue stand ?  Yeah ! right outside Old toilet, just to remind the tw*ts who the greatest really was.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #432: Oct 27, 2013 08:34:45 pm

Only thing though Walt was Cissokho leaving us exposed. Could see a problem there against a team like Arsenal. Got to give the lad the benefit of the doubt as he is new and has also been out injured but I remember a few when we got him saying he's lacking defensively.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #433: Oct 27, 2013 08:39:04 pm
      :D

Have to agree about Hansen and the point about "how many titles" just didn't make any sense whatsoever to me. As a partnership RVP and Rooney are more established of course but I personally believe that Sturridge and Suarez are better individually and as a pair.

I've no problem with him having an opinion the other way but with so much media bias against us it wouldn't hurt even if he thought RVP and Rooney were better he couldn't just play politically and throw superlatives at Suarez/Sturridge. There is a chance I suppose that he's as hurt as many of us about Suarez and with the expectancy that he'll leave doesn't want give him much credit at the moment, which again I find understandable. So I wouldn't judge him too harshly on that alone.

It was the comment on what Hendo said that riled me more. 'Totally respectable to Sir Alex' or something on those lines. F**k off, he's been ripping us to shreds all F***ing week!

Anyway, and apologies for wandering, 4-1!!

I just can't get enough....
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,025 posts | 3959 
      Reply #434: Oct 27, 2013 08:58:03 pm
      Probably the wrong thread to continue this on, but here goes.
      Following on from 'what a hit son' Paisley was by far the greatest manager ever. I think old smokey bacon face will go to his grave,  following a life of mental turmoil and torture, because he was never able to emulate what Bob achieved. In all his 25 years, there was never a consecutive nine year period, whichever years you choose to scan, where he got close to achieving what Bob did. That I think is the main reason for his hatred of Liverpool. There has been suggestions that Bob Paisley should receive a posthumous knighthood, but they don't do that. Never have. What is needed is a statue akin to that of Shankley, who built the foundations of the club for Bob to continue his success.
      But where would the statue stand ?  Yeah ! right outside Old toilet, just to remind the tw*ts who the greatest really was.

Exactly, that is what it's all about, the arl b***ard doesn't believe the misguided 'pundits' who proclaim that Sir Alex Ferguson is the best manager in the universe, he knows the truth.
      He knows he failed to match the achievements of Bob Paisley and it will haunt him every waking day - as it always has done.
      Not for nothing did he devote a whole chapter in his latest scriblings to LFC, from his greatest rivals LFC have become his greatest demons.

edit: sorry mods wrong thread, got carried away.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #435: Oct 27, 2013 09:33:58 pm
      Rooney/RVP have the titles. Can't deny that.
      Whether they are in better form currently than Suarez/Sturridge - not for me.
      S&S (not keen on the acronym, but it's saves typing) are the hottest front men in the PL at the moment.
      Form is temporary tho - would agree to re-ask the question in 10 games time - and again at end of season. Consistency, needs to improve on last year.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #436: Oct 27, 2013 09:50:30 pm
      Form is temporary tho - would agree to re-ask the question in 10 games time - and again at end of season. Consistency, needs to improve on last year.

If you are talking about the SAS pairing here then - Class is permanent though and from the first game they played together they have been the best pairing and I am yet to see a more lethal one.

Quick Reply