Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.

Read 110912 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #161: Dec 02, 2013 08:16:48 pm
      May as well be the first ..... I don't think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.

I think we need a lot more money spent on new players than FSG will ever contemplate, I think we are too reliant on avoiding injuries to key players, we can't beat top sides, we can't win away, our midfield is slow and lethargic and we are totally reliant on Suarez now to get the goals.

Obviously if we beat Norwich the title challenge is back on :)
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #162: Dec 02, 2013 08:35:20 pm
      May as well be the first ..... I don't think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.

I think we need a lot more money spent on new players than FSG will ever contemplate, I think we are too reliant on avoiding injuries to key players, we can't beat top sides, we can't win away, our midfield is slow and lethargic and we are totally reliant on Suarez now to get the goals.

Obviously if we beat Norwich the title challenge is back on :)

Never ever felt we would to be honest mate, hoped yes but thought definitely not, think if we can get to January in and around the top 4 spots we might seriously challenge for top 4, but I've always felt our 2nd position was a false reflection of where we actually are in terms of competing.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #163: Dec 03, 2013 03:40:58 am
      I don't think it's anyting to do with mental attitude, our problems are solely down to a lack of talent in the side. Too many CB, not enough attacking options, especially in the midfield. I've said it since the close of the Window, our Summer was a disaster and we're paying the price for it now. Until we sign players with talent and pace we cannot expect to challenge for honours. We need a clear out with Allen, Henderson, Aspas, Sterling, Moses and Coates all being shown the door and Lucas being relegated to a squad player.

Definitely disagree about mental attitude mate.
      Admitted we lack real talent throughout the squad but you don't need footballing talent to fight for the win, fight for the team, fight for the fans and F***ing fight for yourfuckingselves.
      Only Luis Suarez in our squad now have such a fighting spirit. Very unfortunately, and that's why BR came out about "brave player" thing.

And, tactical naive aside, I wonder how BR seemed lost his ability to motivate his players (I believe he possess some as he did well few times with SG, Enrique and Downing).

And re players you listed for kick out I guess some manager like Southampton's will not mind if give all to him. With those players in the team last season we play very good football and with them in this team led to the forum veteran like bigmick to start this thread.

I truly and honestly believed, with our current squad IF Brendan Rodgers is a tactical expert and real top  quality manager we definitely win at Goodison Park last week and against Hull last Sunday (still believe he's capable to be the right man for us, but it need time) 
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #164: Dec 03, 2013 06:49:16 am
      Something I don't get is, why Brendan tried to impliment his philosophy so soon, the best managers are flexible and have a tactic for almost all situations.

Last year we had Downing who before his time with us, gave a LOT of end product while at Middlesbrough and then Villa. We also had Andy Carroll, who is by no means lethal, and I know somehow West Ham DID pay us the money for him. BUT Why didn't we try and use the whole squad effectively?

I know we signed Coutinho and Sturridge in January when Brendan had time to assess what we needed. Part of me thinks rather than trying to play perfect football he should have played with a way the players were already comfortable with, to get us into the champions league. By this I mean playing a bit more direct like we did under Benitez and Kenny, fast-flowing attacking movement that we were very good at.

I'm not saying we should've kept both of them, but say we DID manage to get into the Champions League, THEN we could've sold them at a higher price and reinvested the money in top quality european players without being swamped by Spurs, Chelsea and the like.

Basically, where at the time we didn't have the money - having spent £100m on the Kenny signings (THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM OF THEM) we didn't have money to build a whole new team to Brendan's specs (we still don't arguably - Aspas, Allen and the like) why not make the best of what we had at the time? Then gradually convert it to 'your' team. For me the most exciting football I've watched in my 20 year life was Rafa's teams, we were brilliant then. Total football, while impressive to watch, isn't everything.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #165: Dec 03, 2013 07:07:02 am
       The problem as I see it is we have signed far to many mediocre players in recent seasons just to build the squad numbers up.At times I get the feeling that a lot of these players only expect to be here for a short duration and it reflects in the effort they put in when playing.It saddens me to see players who have no pride in the club,the Liverpool shirt and worse of all they have no respect for our supporters.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #166: Dec 03, 2013 10:25:38 am
      I haven't given up on a challenge yet either. At the moment the only team who can realistically be said to have mounted a title challenge is Arsenal as they are seven points clear or whatever it is. They WILL come back to he pack though IMHO, and although we probably won't win it I expect us to be in that pack when they come back. It's quite conceivable that 15 points or so could separate the top six or seven, there'll be many twists yet.   
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #167: Dec 03, 2013 10:55:15 am
      Thought we'd need 40 points at the halfway stage to be in with a shout, not confident of that happening.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #168: Dec 04, 2013 12:26:06 am
      Something I don't get is, why Brendan tried to impliment his philosophy so soon

I don't think it's a case of doing it too soon, I think it's more a case of he doesn't have a clue how to implement it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #169: Dec 04, 2013 12:28:55 am
      I don't think it's a case of doing it too soon, I think it's more a case of he doesn't have a clue how to implement it.

Or the players to do so.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #170: Dec 04, 2013 01:04:33 am
      I haven't given up on a challenge yet either. At the moment the only team who can realistically be said to have mounted a title challenge is Arsenal as they are seven points clear or whatever it is. They WILL come back to he pack though IMHO, and although we probably won't win it I expect us to be in that pack when they come back. It's quite conceivable that 15 points or so could separate the top six or seven, there'll be many twists yet.

I agree on your take on Arsenal, but that's about it. We won't be in the pack when it happens. We won't even be anywhere near it. I predict 8th or 9th by the end of the year, at least 10 points from top.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #171: Dec 04, 2013 08:33:26 am
      Exactly, something like that takes YEARS to perfect, like Spain/Barca, no disrespect to most of the players at the club, but very few of them are capable of playing THAT way. We have some great talents at this club, so why not try to win regardless of how we win, that doesn't mean we have to play like an Allardyce team?
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #172: Dec 04, 2013 08:48:23 am

It does make you think about the Swansea situation. Did Brendan get more credit than he deserved for the implementation of their Tika taka football. Were the two previous managers responsible for implementing it and Brendan just carried it on.
      My brother who supports Swansea certainly thinks that is the case.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #173: Dec 04, 2013 01:13:50 pm
      Fickle mania

A loss, as dire as it was, and were off blaming this person and that person and we go from champions elect to fooking jokers. Win our next 3 and then it will be "if we can take 4 points from the city and Chelsea games who knows"
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #174: Dec 04, 2013 01:35:31 pm
      Fickle mania

A loss, as dire as it was, and were off blaming this person and that person and we go from champions elect to fooking jokers. Win our next 3 and then it will be "if we can take 4 points from the city and Chelsea games who knows"

It's football Brian :)
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #175: Dec 04, 2013 04:34:15 pm
      It does make you think about the Swansea situation. Did Brendan get more credit than he deserved for the implementation of their Tika taka football. Were the two previous managers responsible for implementing it and Brendan just carried it on.
      My brother who supports Swansea certainly thinks that is the case.

I know a few Swansea fans. Was it Sousa, Martinez, and I think Jackett(?) and someone else (?) who did a lot of work. Swansea didn't even dazzle the yr Rodgers got em up.

I think their (extremely modest!) "success" is more about a squad of players all maturing at the same time, and not being moved out. Even then, they weren't exactly Real Madrid under him. Its like Bodgson - great at keeping W Brom up, a nightmare at Liverpool.

One of my worst days as a Liverpool fan (and yes, there have been some far worse, for non football reasons) was hearing that Brendan Rodgers was the manager chosen to replace Rafa and King Kenny.

I mean arguing whether Rodgers will become a good manager is a bit like arguing whether Jupiter is made from marshmallows.

Either way, the basic fact is that a manager should prove himself, THEN be given a job at a club like Liverpool. NEVER the other way round.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #176: Dec 06, 2013 07:18:23 pm
      And I still think we will challenge for the title. Haven't given up on it yet by any means at all.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #177: Dec 06, 2013 07:42:06 pm
      And I still think we will challenge for the title. Haven't given up on it yet by any means at all.

Admire your optimism, but its not going to happen.

We need to build a team of champions. Right now, we don't have that. Many of our players are clearly lacking that sort of mentality, and none of our players (bar Toure) have actually won an elite domestic league. It's not just the quality we lack, but also that mentality. It'll take time and patience, and then maybe we might be on our way to that Premiership title.

Our away record proves my point.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #178: Dec 06, 2013 08:07:15 pm

You'll come crashing back down to reality once we've played Chavski and Shitty so all's good.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Reply #179: Dec 06, 2013 10:21:25 pm
      Either way, the basic fact is that a manager should prove himself, THEN be given a job at a club like Liverpool. NEVER the other way round.

You mean like Bill Shankly who actually achieved very little in his management career before getting the Liverpool job? In fact his win percentage with Huddersfield (the club he left to join us) was worse than Roy Hodgson's win percentage with Liverpool.

Or do you mean like Bob Paisley who's managerial career before he took the top job at Liverpool was absolutely F**k all. Yet he went on to be the greatest manager the game has ever witnessed.

Or maybe you mean Joe Fagan who again had a managerial career of next to nothing before taking the Liverpool hot seat and yet achieved the treble in his first year and a second European Cup final in his second which had circumstances been different he would of won and gone on to achieve even greater success with the club.

Or possibly you mean Kenny Dalglish, who was yet again another manager with F**k all experience before being given the Liverpool job and yet he achieved our only League and FA Cup double in his first year, plus putting together arguably the greatest ever Liverpool side in the late 80s.

So yeah obviously it should never be giving the job to somebody without any experience should it lad?

And don't bother replying with "are you seriously comparing Brendan Rodgers to those men" because I'm not. Nor do I need to be told "football has changed since then" because it still doesn't make your point any less bollocks.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #180: Dec 06, 2013 10:21:56 pm
      I know a few Swansea fans. Was it Sousa, Martinez, and I think Jackett(?) and someone else (?) who did a lot of work. Swansea didn't even dazzle the yr Rodgers got em up.

I think their (extremely modest!) "success" is more about a squad of players all maturing at the same time, and not being moved out. Even then, they weren't exactly Real Madrid under him. Its like Bodgson - great at keeping W Brom up, a nightmare at Liverpool.

One of my worst days as a Liverpool fan (and yes, there have been some far worse, for non football reasons) was hearing that Brendan Rodgers was the manager chosen to replace Rafa and King Kenny.

I mean arguing whether Rodgers will become a good manager is a bit like arguing whether Jupiter is made from marshmallows.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #181: Dec 07, 2013 05:12:30 pm
      You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one (actually I am, but anyway). If we get a win at Spurs (won't be easy I know) then my guess is my spell in solitary confinement will come to an end.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #182: Dec 07, 2013 05:30:01 pm
      You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one (actually I am, but anyway). If we get a win at Spurs (won't be easy I know) then my guess is my spell in solitary confinement will come to an end.
      I have a funny feeling we will beat them, I even think we might nick a couple of points off Citeh and the chavs.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #183: Dec 07, 2013 05:34:55 pm

Mick, if we can take 6 points from the Chavs & City games then the league is ours to lose :D

Quick Reply