Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Brave Players?

Read 9496 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Brave Players?
      Nov 17, 2013 10:31:32 am
      In a recent interview Brendan said he's looking for "brave players" to come into the team in January and goes on to explain what he means by 'brave'.

'I think my history as a coach shows I like players who are gifted technically and have courage when it comes to being in possession of a football,' he said.

'That is a key quality for me; can you be brave on the pitch, not in terms of 50-50 tackles but having the ball and looking to play in areas others wouldn't?'

So who in our current squad would you call "brave"?  For me it would be

Toure
      Agger
      Johnson
      Lucas
      Stevie
      Coutinho
      Suarez
      Sturridge
      Alberto
      Sterling
      Allen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2487901/Brendan-Rodgers-I-want-brave-players-Liverpool.html

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2013 11:19:44 am by reddebs »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Brave Players?
      Reply #1: Nov 17, 2013 11:04:14 am
      Its true that we do have a team of brave players, which is probably the reason why we're doing so well. We have a squad that actually want to play for Liverpool fc (well, except for Suarez ;-/ ), everyone is doing their best, and there is no sulking about not being in the first team.

Suarez would be the bravest player we have, he has complete confidence in his own ability, and always wants to be involved. The same could be said of Sturridge, his confidence means he wants to be on the end of every attack.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2: Nov 17, 2013 11:22:31 am
      We have a squad that actually want to play for Liverpool fc

what exactly are you basing that on?
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: Nov 17, 2013 11:43:51 am

F***ing hell, want to be any more of a negative git?  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #4: Nov 17, 2013 12:19:10 pm

Have a glance at the Premier League table, then ask yourself if your consistent negativity is justified.
      More to the point if there is any basis to your claimed support, studying League tables should never quantify that support, it should be total. 
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #5: Nov 17, 2013 12:28:58 pm
      F***ing hell, want to be any more of a negative git?  ;)

I'm just curious as to how anyone can "know" that all the members of the squad "want" to play for Liverpool. 

For example, if player X was offered to play for Liverpool without pay, or play for, say Crystal Palace, on £50k a week, which do you think he would take?

They are football players first and foremost, and they want to be paid. 

Beyond that I don't really see how anyone can "know" that our squad want to play for us.  There are only a handful you can be absolutely certain about; Carra for example, clearly wanted to play for us, no matter what.  Stevie, not quite as much, remember how close he was to joining Chelsea?  But in our current squad I really don't see how to know that for sure.  They may say "ohhh wow, I'm so lucky to be at Liverpool"---is that enough for you?  Stewart Downing gushed about how much he loved our club, then he proceeded, week in and week out, to do a £80,000 a week, 90 minute disappearing act for two years.

So when I see some of our players shitting out of challenges and jogging about the pitch, it makes me think they don't really care about playing for Liverpool that much.  I could care less what they say, I care more about what they do.  The most bizarre thing about this is that the one who works the hardest (Suarez) and puts in a 100% shift every single game is the one who openly said he doesn't want to be here.   ;D  Weird how that works.

Even super loyal Agger said a few weeks ago that if he didn't get playing time, he might consider leaving in January.  This was just after he professed his love for our club for the umpteenth time and was awarded vice-captain.  Gets benched for a few weeks and all that is out the window.  Skrtel said last season when he was benched he would consider leaving.

I don't know.  I think the days of Kenny and Rushie and Barnes are gone, there aren't any players anymore who would die to put on the shirt and go out there.  They want to earn good money, first and foremost, if they can do it at a historic club like Liverpool then great, but I think you're deluding yourself if you think half of our players wouldn't bolt to be at a CL club on bigger wages if the opportunity were offered.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Nov 17, 2013 01:01:27 pm

I'm just curious as to how anyone can "know" that all the members of the squad "want" to play for Liverpool. 

For example, if player X was offered to play for Liverpool without pay, or play for, say Crystal Palace, on £50k a week, which do you think he would take?

They are football players first and foremost, and they want to be paid. 

Beyond that I don't really see how anyone can "know" that our squad want to play for us.  There are only a handful you can be absolutely certain about; Carra for example, clearly wanted to play for us, no matter what.  Stevie, not quite as much, remember how close he was to joining Chelsea?  But in our current squad I really don't see how to know that for sure.  They may say "ohhh wow, I'm so lucky to be at Liverpool"---is that enough for you?  Stewart Downing gushed about how much he loved our club, then he proceeded, week in and week out, to do a £80,000 a week, 90 minute disappearing act for two years.

So when I see some of our players shitting out of challenges and jogging about the pitch, it makes me think they don't really care about playing for Liverpool that much.  I could care less what they say, I care more about what they do.  The most bizarre thing about this is that the one who works the hardest (Suarez) and puts in a 100% shift every single game is the one who openly said he doesn't want to be here.   ;D  Weird how that works.

Even super loyal Agger said a few weeks ago that if he didn't get playing time, he might consider leaving in January.  This was just after he professed his love for our club for the umpteenth time and was awarded vice-captain.  Gets benched for a few weeks and all that is out the window.  Skrtel said last season when he was benched he would consider leaving.

I don't know.  I think the days of Kenny and Rushie and Barnes are gone, there aren't any players anymore who would die to put on the shirt and go out there.  They want to earn good money, first and foremost, if they can do it at a historic club like Liverpool then great, but I think you're deluding yourself if you think half of our players wouldn't bolt to be at a CL club on bigger wages if the opportunity were offered.

And this has to do with 'brave players' how exactly?

If you can't or don't want to comment on the actual topic then please don't comment at all, or do so in the appropriate thread.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #7: Nov 17, 2013 01:02:18 pm
      Think back a few seasons ago to when the Cowboys were in charge, the players were aware of what was going on, it was destroying the moral of the team, and it was obvious that a few of the players were looking to jump ship.
      Towards the end of his time here, it was clear that Torre$ wasn't putting in the effort he used too, Masch could wait to leave, Alonso left and Benayoun jumped first chance he got.

You can probably understand the guys reasons for leaving, the future was not looking rosie!

Now things are different, they can see a brighter future.
      The players we have now came to the club knowing there was no champions league football, so clearly playing for Liverpool was a big enough incentive for them, and every player on the team is giving 100%!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #8: Nov 17, 2013 01:23:08 pm
      The players we have now came to the club knowing there was no champions league football, so clearly playing for Liverpool was a big enough incentive for them

Downing and Carroll and Adam all came to the club knowing there was no CL football and none of them were "brave" during the vast majority of their careers here.

every player on the team is giving 100%!

Did you actually watch the Newcastle game? 

Basically we have a squad full of players who sometimes give 100%, sometimes they don't.  Gerrard for the last two seasons has started to be more and more sporadic, sometimes he has a blinder like against Fulham or at Sunderland, other times he just decides he'll go missing for the entire 90 minutes.  Lucas doesn't always give 100%, how many times does he get blown by and then you watch while he just sits there instead of tracking back?  When Sturridge is on fire he has shown he is top class, but he has also had a few games where he has been sloppy and not working hard.

The only two I can think of that each game give 100% are Suarez and Henderson.  And the dichotomy couldn't be any more stark.  Suarez is not only the best player on our team by far, he is also the hardest working.  How often do you see that in a player?  Henderson, well he may not have much going for him other than his engine, but you know that he'll always put in a shift.  Those two are the ones who work the hardest.

The rest of the squad pick and choose when they want to show up.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #9: Nov 17, 2013 01:35:49 pm
      Don't think its a simple as that, we're not going to dominate every game, and some times if you're asked to play a certain formation and you're being over run in midfield or down the flanks, it can make you look pretty ineffective (see Lucas)
      Gerrards 100% isn't as effective as it used to be, doesn't mean hes not trying.

TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #10: Nov 17, 2013 01:48:00 pm
      Don't think its a simple as that, we're not going to dominate every game, and some times if you're asked to play a certain formation and you're being over run in midfield or down the flanks, it can make you look pretty ineffective (see Lucas)
      Gerrards 100% isn't as effective as it used to be, doesn't mean hes not trying.

Would refrain replying to Fed if I were you. Keep on replying and the thread will derail.

In regards to the OP, I am not sure if Allen is a brave player. Also not seen much of Alberto to consider him brave.

Suarez by a long mile is the bravest player followed by Cou and Stevie.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #11: Nov 17, 2013 01:50:29 pm
      Anyway to the subject of brave players - I'm glad he's brought that up. It's reassuring to know that he has intentions of improving the creative aspect of our football. Clearly implies he's looking for a creative/attacking midfielder.

Can't wait to see who we land!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #12: Nov 17, 2013 01:56:46 pm
      I'd add Aspas in there, even if he isn't very good he seems to want the ball and try to make things happen. Skrtel perhaps too, though watching him I get the feeing he seems forced to pass from the back at times rather than it being a natural trait to his game.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #13: Nov 17, 2013 02:33:06 pm
      I would also add Enrique and Skrtel.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14: Nov 17, 2013 02:36:24 pm
      Good thread Debs but and certainly a massive factor in what I consider a vital ingredient in a top player. I think we may have got more interesting answers though if you'd have asked the opposite.

Toure
      Agger
      Johnson
      Lucas
      Stevie
      Coutinho
      Suarez
      Sturridge
      Alberto
      Sterling
      Allen

Absolutely agree with all those, but it's easy to see why this is such a quality that every manager should look for, because those that scream out at you are:

Gerrard
      Suarez
      Sturridge
      Coutinho
      Lucas
      Johnson
      Agger

There's no coincidence in that list that these are, in my opinion, our best players.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Nov 17, 2013 03:51:44 pm
      Good thread Debs but and certainly a massive factor in what I consider a vital ingredient in a top player. I think we may have got more interesting answers though if you'd have asked the opposite.

Absolutely agree with all those, but it's easy to see why this is such a quality that every manager should look for, because those that scream out at you are:

Gerrard
      Suarez
      Sturridge
      Coutinho
      Lucas
      Johnson
      Agger

There's no coincidence in that list that these are, in my opinion, our best players.

It isn't a surprise nor a coincidence Luke.

I brought the topic up because I was surprised how many players we already have that fit the description.  There's such a huge difference of opinion on all forums about the quality, or lack of, we have that I thought it gave a different perspective when assessing our weaknesses.  It also opens up a different discussion about Brendans main targets, positionally wise,for January and the summer.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16: Nov 17, 2013 04:13:09 pm
      It isn't a surprise nor a coincidence Luke.

I brought the topic up because I was surprised how many players we already have that fit the description.  There's such a huge difference of opinion on all forums about the quality, or lack of, we have that I thought it gave a different perspective when assessing our weaknesses.  It also opens up a different discussion about Brendans main targets, positionally wise,for January and the summer.

One good thing about your initial list and what backs Brendan's statement up strongly is that he's provided 5 of the 11 and that is something to take some encouragement out of for sure.

Needs to add a couple more names to that list in January if we are to truly progress in my opinion though and after an unconvincing summer spending the importance on getting this window spot on is paramount.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Nov 17, 2013 04:18:53 pm
      One good thing about your initial list and what backs Brendan's statement up strongly is that he's provided 5 of the 11 and that is something to take some encouragement out of for sure.

Needs to add a couple more names to that list in January if we are to truly progress in my opinion though and after an unconvincing summer spending the importance on getting this window spot on is paramount.

1st team starters is what he wants whether he finds them is another matter.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #18: Nov 17, 2013 10:35:42 pm
      I think in that statement from Brendan Rodgers was a little kick up the backside to Toure.  I think he is a brave a player.  But the way he turned his back on Ramsey was a mistake.  If he would have stood up and been brave it would have been a tense finish to the game.   I agree we have brave players on the main.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #19: Nov 17, 2013 11:03:20 pm
      I think in that statement from Brendan Rodgers was a little kick up the backside to Toure.  I think he is a brave a player.  But the way he turned his back on Ramsey was a mistake.  If he would have stood up and been brave it would have been a tense finish to the game. 

Toure.... Toure?  are you serious?  you must be trolling, you think that when Rodgers is talking about being more brave he's talking about one time when Toure turned his back? 

If that makes Toure not "brave," then what the hell are Lucas and Gerrard and Henderson who constantly shat out of tackles, who pulled up right when they had the option to go to ground, Lucas the Untouchable one who let player after player blow by him and then instead of running his arse off to track back he sits there pitying himself as the play moves beyond him...

And you go after Toure?!

F***ing hell now I've heard everything, there really are some blind "supporters" here.

"oh, Stevie pulled out of that 50/50, oh gee, he's just back from international break you see.... oh Lucas didn't go in for that tackle and pulled up like a little girl.... well he's recovering from an injury.... well take a look at that Henderson re-straightened his hair instead of going up to challenge that header, well he's just short of confidence, doncha' know..... OH MY GOD KOLO TOURE TURNED HIS BACK ON THAT SHOT WHAT A F***ing COWARD!!!!"

ffs....
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #20: Nov 17, 2013 11:21:02 pm
      I've read my post again to clarify nowhere have I stated he is coward.  In fact, I have said to make sure no one misinterprets the post and thinks that.  He made a mistake.  And I think he Brendan was talking about players being brave and it playing in an important part in his ideology.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #21: Nov 17, 2013 11:28:00 pm
      I've read my post again to clarify nowhere have I stated he is coward.  In fact, I have said to make sure no one misinterprets the post and thinks that.  He made a mistake.  And I think he Brendan was talking about players being brave and it playing in an important part in his ideology.

well which is it, did he make a mistake or was he not "brave"?

you make a mistake at work, does that mean you're not "brave"?

words have meanings you know.  "bravery" and "mistake" are two different things.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #22: Nov 17, 2013 11:35:16 pm
      Toure.... Toure?  are you serious?  you must be trolling, you think that when Rodgers is talking about being more brave he's talking about one time when Toure turned his back? 

If that makes Toure not "brave," then what the hell are Lucas and Gerrard and Henderson who constantly shat out of tackles, who pulled up right when they had the option to go to ground, Lucas the Untouchable one who let player after player blow by him and then instead of running his arse off to track back he sits there pitying himself as the play moves beyond him...

And you go after Toure?!

f**king hell now I've heard everything, there really are some blind "supporters" here.

"oh, Stevie pulled out of that 50/50, oh gee, he's just back from international break you see.... oh Lucas didn't go in for that tackle and pulled up like a little girl.... well he's recovering from an injury.... well take a look at that Henderson re-straightened his hair instead of going up to challenge that header, well he's just short of confidence, doncha' know..... OH MY GOD KOLO TOURE TURNED HIS BACK ON THAT SHOT WHAT A F***ing COWARD!!!!"

ffs....
      wow man like chill out and calm down,it's Sunday relax.

Quick Reply