Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Bob Paisley's era at Liverpool

Read 14691 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Re: Bob Paisley's era at Liverpool
      Reply #92: Nov 28, 2013 08:30:59 pm
      That game at Wolves in '76 was not only about the game. If you were there, it was like no other match. The atmosphere and events that took place around, and inside the ground were like nothing I have experienced ever, anywhere.
      I took the afternoon off work and hitch hiked to wolves on my own, due to the importance of the match for me. Never in a million years was I expecting to witness what I did, and never did I ever think of what it might lead to. It took me most of the night to get home, but the memories I have, are like it was yesterday.
       I could write a book about the night and what I witnessed. One of, if not the, greatest footballing memories I have.
      I don't think you can really get the supporter of today to understand the hostility and tension of football grounds in that era.It was like going on a crusade but the memories of it my god you can still smell it.Football is so sanitized now, I can still remember the likes of Utd supporters on mass walking around the long way around Stanley park and the pitched battles afterwards. I am not saying that was a good thing but it meant to be a supporter then you had to take it seriously where now its more entertainment than true adversarial sport.
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #93: Nov 29, 2013 07:32:22 pm
      One thing about Wolves in 76 that does my head in, is that I was too young to go the game or appreciate the result. I was only 4!  But I do have a vivid memory of my uncle going and after the final whistle my dad carrying me round the garden in celebration after listening to the game on the radio...radio 2 I think....I may be wrong but I also remember seeing the goals on the tv news either that night or the next day. They are some of my first memories and like the fella that just commented, my uncle could also write a book about the story of that night. I have read so much about the atmosphere....and Bob trying to stop hundreds of fans getting into the ground through the Liverpool changing rooms!  So to me, for the sheer atmosphere, for the fact that it was Bobs first trophy and for the fact of what it lead to...this was unquestionably one of our greatest and most important ever nights. And then two weeks later we went to Bruges and won the UEFA Cup after a thrilling 3 2 win at Anfield in the first leg. I may just phone the BBC and see if they still have the Wolves game in the archive.  Id give anything to see that match.

In the meantime here are some highlights of the second leg against Bruges in that great forgotten season of 75-76 just in case anyone has not seen them...bring back the old two legged final format I say....that was what distinguished it from the European Cup.

Fcb-retro 1976 finale uefacup Club Brugge - Liverpool

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #94: Nov 29, 2013 07:54:44 pm
      1976 not a bad year , league champions, Uefa Cup champions, Manager of the year Player of the year. 11 men took to the pitch then that's exactly what we need now 11 men.Still got a huge tingle down the spine at the final whistle
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #95: Nov 29, 2013 08:16:38 pm
      Me too...a great year in our history and a very underrated year because it was eclipsed 12 months on with the first European Cup...but the Paisley dynasty leads directly from 76 and there are so many amazing moments up to an including the Wolves game. The introduction of David Fairclough and the prominent role he played after the New Year was crucial...here is his goal in the 88th minute against the Blues on Grand National morning....a wonder goal against an admittedly hapless Dai Davies....we won one nil and Phil Neal still had time to miss a penalty before the final whistle.

David Fairclough vs Everton (3rd April 1976)

Quick Reply