Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 6th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W0 D1 L2

If we only bought one player in Jan, who would you REPLACE in the team?

Read 22056 times
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Re: If we only bought one player in Jan, who would you REPLACE in the team?
      Reply #207: Dec 16, 2013 02:14:15 am
      I guess there is very little to say besides what has already been said here. It's hard to find a weak link in a performance like today's. But if there was one, it would have to be Johnson. Kudos to Rodgers for sticking with Flanagan at LB though. Brilliant.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #208: Dec 16, 2013 12:03:05 pm
      Whoa... leave me out of this.  :D
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #209: Dec 16, 2013 12:18:26 pm
      After today's glory it would have to be old Glen, and I imagine we should bring in Montoya.
      Montoya is a great shout, i think he would keep Johnson out of the team.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #210: Dec 16, 2013 01:13:19 pm

I could keep him out of the team.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #211: Dec 16, 2013 01:51:42 pm
      Thats just insulting the fans.

Fenway were "outstanding" for Rodgers because he had no history at even an established PL club. And hardly any experience in the Championship. Yet he was given one of the top jobs in football (well formerly, anyway).

The way we went into last season without ANY genuine centre forwards (Luis plays deeper, and Borini is crap) was another big insult to the fans. Their 6 windows of sell to buy have been disgusting.

Rodgers strikes me as a "career manager". Some people would use the word "mercenary". He knows if he is known to kiss ass to owners, he will get jobs from owners who have dubious motives.

Compare that to  Rafa will shop an owner who tries to stiff the fans. Rafa cares about the fans, and Liverpool in particular. Rodgers cares about being in with owners instead.

"Outstanding"...  WTF

Way way over the top. Fenway do need to stump up more cash but they also have a business model that will not drown the club in debt and will provide more sustainable future investment. They also see a young, relatively inexperienced manager come in, so will naturally want to see how he performs before entrusting him with a 70/80 mil warchest, and I suspect Brendan knows that. I am not saying I'm completely happy with all of their transfer conduct so far, they definitely need to start showing more investment, but your reaction to Rogers' statement is a bit ridicilous.

Having seen a number of interviews, read articles and witnessed the way he has managed the club since he has come in, I don't think he is a kiss-ass at all. He believes in club unity, from top to bottom. His ethos is that all problems are dealt with internally and we always provide a united front externally - and that's the lfc way. That means amongst the players, as well as with the management and owners. I suspect that's the attitude he keeps at all times. Even if he is pissed off with them, he will always publicly present a professional and united front...and I completely agree with it. Last thing I would want is for him to publicly criticise the owners for not making enough funds available.

Having said that, I hope the owners are now seeing a genuinely solid team with potential, and will give him cash for top top players in january and/or in the summer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #212: Dec 16, 2013 02:46:36 pm
      I suppose I would replace Glen if I had to pick one.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #213: Dec 16, 2013 03:32:55 pm
      I would replace Joe Allen, he is good at keeping possession and pressing the opposition, that aside and he hasn't got much more in his locker. I really like the look of Dembele, he is big strong and can play box to box. Can defend and attack. Would really strengthen our midfield.

Dembele didn't look so big and strong when Allen bossed him in midfield yesterday. Dembele has a few qualities, he dribbles well and can beat a man in midfield, but he doesn't score, rarely assists, and doesn't tackle particularly well. Personally i'm happier with Allen and Hendo.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #214: Dec 16, 2013 03:40:36 pm
      So this thread is jumping from Lucas to Hendo and now to Glen! We don't need to replace any of the players that played yesterday. We need to strengthen the squad. That means improving on one of Cissokho, Moses and Aspas. If I had to choose one i'd replace Moses with Salah in January.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #215: Dec 16, 2013 04:58:43 pm
      We don't need to replace any of the players that played yesterday.

I'm insistent that we dump Victor Moses at the bridge when his time is up. Good grief we paid next to nothing for his services.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #216: Dec 16, 2013 05:02:16 pm
      Whether certain players need replacing or not. If the right player is available in a position where it may be considered an upgrade then we should try everything to get them here. That guy at Bayern upfront is a good player and probably doesn't need replacing but Lewandowski is still going to go to them.

I agree with the Cissokho, Moses and Aspas bit but I would like to see them replaced with players who could challenge/displace Johnson, Sterling and Suarez or Sturridge. (Accepting that the last bit would be difficult but that is how we improve)

Maybe if we get Champions League football we can go for players with champions league wages.
      nohockeynoproblem
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #217: Dec 16, 2013 09:51:54 pm
      I don't know about replacing anyone outside of our depth/loan players, but I think that this team only has one type of player that it needs to add to be considered a true contender and that would be a big physical defensive mid in the mould of Alonso or Pique. Someone who can really handle physical play in the middle of the pitch and win headers.

You just have to look at the influence that Yaya Toure, David Luiz and Mario Fellaini have had for their clubs to see where we could improve the team.

Depth in that part of the field would also allow is to move Stevie upfield into his more natural and dangerous position, adding depth to the attacking group at the same time.

Bringing back Alonso would be nice, if Arsenal can bring back Henry and Chelsea Drogba, why not?

My first pick however, assuming that there is no way Schniederlin is available, would be Gonalons out of Lyons. He has the ability to play center back as well as in the midfield and has even been pushed up the field into attacking roles at times. The guy has a real will to win, plays his best in big games, a future France captain if he moves to a big club.

If he's good enough to catch the eye of Benitez and Wenger he's got to have something going for him, and his style on the ball should be something Rodgers would also rate very highly.

I think shoring up the midfield should be the priority for this window.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #218: Dec 17, 2013 12:21:41 am
      I don't know about replacing anyone outside of our depth/loan players, but I think that this team only has one type of player that it needs to add to be considered a true contender and that would be a big physical defensive mid in the mould of Alonso or Pique. Someone who can really handle physical play in the middle of the pitch and win headers.

You just have to look at the influence that Yaya Toure, David Luiz and Mario Fellaini have had for their clubs to see where we could improve the team.

Depth in that part of the field would also allow is to move Stevie upfield into his more natural and dangerous position, adding depth to the attacking group at the same time.

Bringing back Alonso would be nice, if Arsenal can bring back Henry and Chelsea Drogba, why not?

My first pick however, assuming that there is no way Schniederlin is available, would be Gonalons out of Lyons. He has the ability to play center back as well as in the midfield and has even been pushed up the field into attacking roles at times. The guy has a real will to win, plays his best in big games, a future France captain if he moves to a big club.

If he's good enough to catch the eye of Benitez and Wenger he's got to have something going for him, and his style on the ball should be something Rodgers would also rate very highly.

I think shoring up the midfield should be the priority for this window.

Confused by your post mate. None of these players you mention apart from Gonalons are defensive midfielders. Also Luiz and Felaini have had f*ck all influence on their teams this season. I would take Xabi back of course in a playmaker role he has a couple of good years left in him. Think we can do better that Schniederlin but I do like Gonalons from what i've seen he might be an improvement on Lucas.
      nohockeynoproblem
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #219: Dec 17, 2013 02:23:39 am
      Confused by your post mate. None of these players you mention apart from Gonalons are defensive midfielders. Also Luiz and Felaini have had f*ck all influence on their teams this season. I would take Xabi back of course in a playmaker role he has a couple of good years left in him. Think we can do better that Schniederlin but I do like Gonalons from what i've seen he might be an improvement on Lucas.

Well, not this year, and that is a big part of why their teams haven't been as consistent. I was mostly talking about the style of player, a tall strong player in the middle of the field who can win battles and also push upfield and be another aerial threat on set pieces. I would say all of those players share that characteristic and that most managers like to have one like that in their squad.

Rodgers has specifically pointed out his concerns about the size and strength of our team in that area of the field with Gerrard out. Its all fine when we have the ball, but if we want to crack the top teams we will need more.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,513 posts | 2873 
      Reply #220: Dec 17, 2013 10:28:06 am

Watched Montoya the other week. Hope it was a one off because he was absolute sh*te.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #221: Dec 17, 2013 11:17:35 am
      Watched Montoya the other week. Hope it was a one off because he was absolute sh*te.

He's certainly not a better full back than Johno when both on equal form.
      redsordie27
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts |
      Reply #222: Dec 17, 2013 07:12:59 pm
      Im an American and a Red Sox fan so I know a bit about FSG.  Once we get Champions League and we can attract those top players they will put up the funds to get players.  If they want a player they will sign him, I've seen them do it in baseball and I'm sure they will put out money to get top players here.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #223: Dec 21, 2013 09:51:16 pm
      We need some muscle in midfield, I feel this year coutinho isn't as good because teams have realised to basically stand on his toes and push him off the ball, if we have some muscle like a Diame or a M'Villa then they can change the mentality of opposing teams to be up in our faces!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #224: Dec 21, 2013 10:24:07 pm
      We need some muscle in midfield, I feel this year coutinho isn't as good because teams have realised to basically stand on his toes and push him off the ball, if we have some muscle like a Diame or a M'Villa then they can change the mentality of opposing teams to be up in our faces!

I'm sorry but are you suggesting that Coutinho be replaced by some defensive midfield cack handed rubbish like Diame? Coutinho is one of the first names on the team sheet and if you think otherwise then clearly you haven't been watching the team. Just so you realise, we sacked Roy Hodgson nearly three years ago and we kind of DON'T want to go down the Tony Pulis/Sam Allardyce route.

Thank god Brendan is our manager.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #225: Dec 21, 2013 11:47:33 pm

What?

Seriously?

The fop haired one has been very good, and he's nowhere near his peak yet in terms of fitness this season.

Hang on: Do you think Coutinho plays in central midfield?

He might pick the ball up there, but so does Suarez.
      He doesn't play in midfield either.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #226: Dec 21, 2013 11:48:00 pm
      I'm sorry but are you suggesting that Coutinho be replaced by some defensive midfield cack handed rubbish like Diame? Coutinho is one of the first names on the team sheet and if you think otherwise then clearly you haven't been watching the team. Just so you realise, we sacked Roy Hodgson nearly three years ago and we kind of DON'T want to go down the Tony Pulis/Sam Allardyce route.

Thank god Brendan is our manager.
      Brains will always outwit muscle and Couthinho has a brilliant one .
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #227: Dec 22, 2013 12:10:58 am
      It's something that has been said by loads of fans but something I am only really picking up on now. We need a bit more strength and speed in midfield. A battler to challenge Lucas. I love Lucas but I worry that he is struggling in the centre. Even today, there was something about him that made me worry. If we bring someone in to be able to challenge in that role, it would set us up brilliantly. Who exactly? No idea.
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #228: Dec 22, 2013 01:24:33 pm
      If you think Rodgers said he'll only buy someone that can come in and immediately improve the team, it means it'll be pretty tough at the moment.

the only place where we could realistically improve would be full back and perhaps CDM. To improve on our Central Defenders would be very difficult. To improve upon Henderson, Gerrard would be very difficult, to improve upon Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez would be impossible.

Has to be a full back and perhaps a, much as I hate the term, an inverted winger to improve upon Sterling. Not that I don't rate Sterling, just think we've got a really good first 11 and to improve upon it will be very difficult
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #229: Dec 27, 2013 10:46:56 am
      What?

Seriously?

The fop haired one has been very good, and he's nowhere near his peak yet in terms of fitness this season.

Hang on: Do you think Coutinho plays in central midfield?

He might pick the ball up there, but so does Suarez.
      He doesn't play in midfield either.

I didn't put that very well, I don't want to drop coutinho by any means, I mean get a muscular DM in so then when teams start to get physical with the likes of Coutinho, Sterling and Allen then a strong DM can knock them about a bit and make other teams stop trying to be a physical presence against our smaller technical players :)

Quick Reply