Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

If we only bought one player in Jan, who would you REPLACE in the team?

Read 22091 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: If we only bought one player in Jan, who would you REPLACE in the team?
      Reply #23: Dec 08, 2013 03:05:42 pm
      I think that is more a tactical problem rather than the players, although if we have any money left after buying Fabregas, a defensive midfielder and a left back would be nice.

Fabregas eh?

Any basis for such optimism for him, or just gut instinct?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #24: Dec 08, 2013 03:08:54 pm
      I think that is more a tactical problem rather than the players, although if we have any money left after buying Fabregas, a defensive midfielder and a left back would be nice.

About £20m too short.

I think we should be looking for someone to replace Stevie, he isn't going to last for ever.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #25: Dec 08, 2013 03:11:24 pm
      here is a thought.  our defense is getting battered but it sometimes isnt all their fault.  many times a midfielder couldve done better to minimize a dangerous cross in.  or if the midfields could backtrack faster so our defense would have a bit more support. 

i have every confidence in most if not all our CBs can typically win against a one on one.  but when there are a couple opponents running at you plus you are keeping an eye on another that is un marked, thats where they make mistakes.  for instance, yesterdays og by srktel, a super dangerous cross, followed up by an equally dangerous square ... srktel had to attempt something else the unmarked westham player running in couldve put it in anyways. 
      « Last Edit: Dec 08, 2013 03:22:54 pm by DaktionLFC »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #26: Dec 08, 2013 03:21:20 pm
      Fabregas eh?

Any basis for such optimism for him, or just gut instinct?

Just wishful thinking mate. He assists or scores a similar number of goals to Gerrard.... 421 games, 93 goals, 143 assists, still quite young and he always seems to be the odd one out at Barca.

About £20m too short.

I think we should be looking for someone to replace Stevie, he isn't going to last for ever.

I agree mate, but Fabregas could do a great job until Gerrard's legs go and then maybe take over. As for the money, we should have a bit left over from the summer and maybe we could dip into next summers fund to bring in the right person to get us to the next level and all that lovely CL money. Then Suarez stays and things really start to look up.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #27: Dec 08, 2013 03:23:10 pm
      Seriously a player like Fabregas would completely transform our team. Not only would we have a shot at the title, but we wouldn't embarrass ourselves in the Champions League next season either. Don't think for one minute we'd get him though.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Dec 08, 2013 03:24:10 pm
      Yeah I've been very impressed with what I've seen of Barkley. Do you really think we could steal him off the bitters though?

I think any offers above £20m-£25m maybe even £30m, would tempt Kenwright, he's prone to selling his best players for good money, I wouldn't be adverse to paying that for Barkley either, if he could continue progressing at the rate he is and emulate Gerrard's career, he'd be more than worth it, considering the years of service you could get from him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Dec 08, 2013 03:25:35 pm
      Seriously a player like Fabregas would completely transform our team. Not only would we have a shot at the title, but we wouldn't embarrass ourselves in the Champions League next season either. Don't think for one minute we'd get him though.

Fabregas will only come back to England to play for Arsenal and Wenger would take him back, flogging a dead horse with the idea of Fabregas in my opinion.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #30: Dec 08, 2013 03:28:57 pm
      Fabregas will only come back to England to play for Arsenal and Wenger would take him back, flogging a dead horse with the idea of Fabregas in my opinion.

O.k. We let Fabregas go to Arsenal and we take Ozil off Arsenal :)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31: Dec 08, 2013 03:37:48 pm

Thought the exact same and why I asked Saint if it was wishful thinking or anything else.

Never stop someone being hopeful but believe should he return here that Arsenal would be where he'd end up going, unfortunately. Exactly the right type of player we need though.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Dec 08, 2013 03:38:56 pm
      I like the look of Cabaye from Newcastle and as to who to replace, I'm sure you won't be shocked when I say Henderson.  :D
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #33: Dec 08, 2013 04:18:32 pm
      I say buy a LB and a right winger in Jan, and send back Moses and cissoko in summer. I would prefer us to try to get a big midfield player in the summer then go for a medicore one in Jan.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #34: Dec 08, 2013 04:34:03 pm
      I say buy a LB and a right winger in Jan, and send back Moses and cissoko in summer. I would prefer us to try to get a big midfield player in the summer then go for a medicore one in Jan.

do you think our bandaid midfields can last till the end of season?  we really need to be challenging for top 4 this season... waiting till the summer will be too late.  if we dont make top 4.  suarez goes, and then that is a huge step backwards

imo fsg needs to splash some serious cash this winter transfer so that we can make top 4.. keep suarez... cl money... buy even more quality players.   
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Dec 08, 2013 05:02:31 pm
      If we could only sign one player. I'd sign a midfielder.
      If we could only name one to  lose out. Henderson.

Sorry kid.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #36: Dec 08, 2013 05:03:34 pm
      Dembele in.

Henderson out.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #37: Dec 08, 2013 05:25:10 pm
      May sound crazy, but I'd sign Balotelli. I think a front 3 of Suarez, Balotelli, and Sturridge would work great because Suarez and Studge both like to drop deep and get involved with the buildup and could operate in RF and LF positions. I think having that sort of pace, power, and quality in our front 3 would paper over the cracks in our midfield for the time being.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #38: Dec 08, 2013 05:28:59 pm
      May sound crazy, but I'd sign Balotelli. I think a front 3 of Suarez, Balotelli, and Sturridge would work great because Suarez and Studge both like to drop deep and get involved with the buildup and could operate in RF and LF positions. I think having that sort of pace, power, and quality in our front 3 would paper over the cracks in our midfield for the time being.

I'd be happy with that.   :D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #39: Dec 08, 2013 05:29:48 pm

Too much of a risk in my opinion, Suarez is a loose canon but you know he'll give %110 when he's on the pitch, Balotelli is that much of a loose canon he'll only give what he can be arsed to put into a game given his mood at any given time.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #40: Dec 08, 2013 05:37:02 pm
      Wouldn,t have Balotelli if the c**t was free to fcking lazy and a bad fckin attitude ,one player for me then it would have to be a midfielder who actually contributes to the game going forward with an eye for a goal ,been saying for too long that beside Stevie our midfield contibutes fck all to the goal tally and sooner or later that will catch up with us , we need someone else who can chip in with 8 to 10 goals from the midfield ,finding the fcker well thats the challenge for the suits to sort out.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #41: Dec 08, 2013 05:38:58 pm
      Literally everyone thinks we should replace Henderson, and I agree, but I do think Henderson would be a very important squad player. Seeing as he can play in every position in midfield and in the full back position.

Fabregas and Barkley are two world class talents, I would find it unlikely we would even try to sign either of them.

I have doubts we could even afford them.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,945 posts | 287 
      Reply #42: Dec 08, 2013 05:47:44 pm
      Simple for me;

Gerrard   Lucas
                      Coutinho
         ?            Sturridge     Suarez

We haven't a recognized RWF in the squad. Moses can F**k off, Sterling needs competition to help his development. A right wing forward would add the depth to the forward line (if Sturridge and Suarez we're out at the same time, we would be fudcked - noone else is scoring goals), and give us the option to go back to a 4-3-3 where we can really challenge teams.

Don't get me wrong i think we also need a DM and CAM roles, but see the RWF as the most critical positions we need to fill with class to become a top top team.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #43: Dec 08, 2013 05:55:18 pm
      I think we need more goals from midfield, so I would replace Henderson, but I think Henderson is a good squad player who would still be handy to have on the bench for his versatility and energy, just not a regular starter. I believe we could replace Henderson and Lucas for better quite easily, the problem is going to be trying to find someone to replace Gerrard when the time comes.   

I'm with theconsensu here, of all our starters Henderson is the be I would be looking to upgrade if faced with the 'only one' scenario. Someone with a similar work rate and versatility but ideally with more ability and confidence on the ball. Maybe even go back in for the Armenian lad if that's the one Rodgers really wants. This would enable Henderson to continue in the role he should be playing as a valuable squad player who offers great energy and attitude off the bench and as a starter in some of our less important fixtures. I don't know the European market very well unfortunately but I'm sure there's a bundle of payers up there. That fit the bill. Within our own league I guess Cabaye could do it and Diame is still an intriguing prospect. It's just a shame Barkley is blue not red eh!
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #44: Dec 08, 2013 06:02:53 pm
      I'd go for Michael Bradley from Roma.  Can play in the Lucas role.  But has a lot more to offer going forward.  Oh, and he wouldn't cost anywhere near 20 mill.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #45: Dec 08, 2013 06:19:15 pm
      I'd go for Michael Bradley from Roma.  Can play in the Lucas role.  But has a lot more to offer going forward.  Oh, and he wouldn't cost anywhere near 20 mill.

Typical American.... penny pinching :)  Buy cheap and buy twice.

Better to blow the lot on Fabregas or Barkley. Get CL then they become cheap anyway as you can take £25million off their price. 

Quick Reply