Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Title challengers in the next Two years?

Read 1422 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Title challengers in the next Two years?
      Dec 09, 2013 08:50:41 pm
      Maybe its because we're having a good season, or maybe its because I'm overly optimistic, but I got to thinking we maybe only a few players in key areas away from having a title challenging side.

We all know we suffer from a frustrating lack of creativity in midfield, spending money in January on the right players could solve that problem almost instantly. We already have our one shining light in Coutinho, but still to come from within our own ranks, we also have Suso, who's loan spell is doing him wonders, and Teixeira who looks to be a carbon copy of Coutinho.
      If these guys can reach the potential I think they have, we could have creativity in the centre to rival Barcelona!

Defence wise we look reasonably strong already, but like the look of young McLaughlin, he loves to get forward like Glen Johnson, but he can also track back too.
       Surprisingly Ilori hasn't had a chance to impress in the first team yet, but he came highly rated, and apparently he is the fastest player in the squad.

Flanaghan is at last starting to show his worth, he's playing well on what is supposed to be his wrong side. if he can improve on the attacking part of his game, he could nail down the left back position.

If Suarez stays, and we add another top class striker to the team, we will have one of the most feared attacking lineups in Europe.

Not knowing who is going to come and go, I think this looks like a potential title challenging side in the next few years.

Mignolet

McLaughlin.      Illori.        Sakho.    Flanaghan/?

Teixeira.     Coutinho.       Suso

?              Suarez.      Sturridge

How long, and who do we need to bring in to be a serious contender again?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Title challengers in the next Two years?
      Reply #1: Dec 09, 2013 09:20:33 pm
      You can't win anything with kids :)

I think we would need a midfield "battler" in your team, as while they could do great things with the ball... I don't think they would see much of it. 

Going with the youth bit, if Sterling really got his head down and started to develop again, I see no reason why he couldn't fill the empty slot.

A lot of talented youngsters, but after seeing us building young players up time after time, only for them to disappear I won't be holding my breath till I see this team.

Interesting glimpse into the future (or one possible future) though mate.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #2: Dec 09, 2013 09:28:23 pm
      Technically were challenging at the moment aren't we! As for your line up there Orchard, I don't think we will be doing much challenging with those lads I'm afraid, not given that 4 of the lads in there have barely stepped out of the youth side so we don't know how good they can be or even if they can make it at the top level. I think we have a real tendency to get over excited about kids coming through these days because we can now watch their every game and see them bossing it at youth and under 21 level. We won the FA Youth Cup in 2007 and not a single one of those players remains at the club now so my guess is that if we're challengers I. 2 years it's because firstly we've got ourselves back into Europe's elite next season, and secondly FSG have properly put their hands in their pockets and backed the manager to the hilt.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3: Dec 10, 2013 12:33:24 am
      Agree Orchard 

+ 1
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #4: Dec 10, 2013 02:57:40 am
      I can't see Flanagan being the future left back.  We need a top quality left full back, we have been short for years now.  Like mentioned by others to many youngsters in that line up.  Hopefully, the mentioned players the Texeria and Suso's of the world will give strength and depth to our squad. 
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #5: Dec 10, 2013 07:00:34 am
      really depends if we get CL footy next season.  without it, we lose suarez and imo that means we are not challenging.  if we keep suarez then yes we can continue to build and have a much better chance to challenge for the title
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #6: Dec 10, 2013 07:25:30 am
      Challenging right now. Why wait for 2 years what you can do now.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Dec 10, 2013 10:17:13 am
      "Title challengers in the next Two years" or "going to seriously challenge for the title" this season?

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #8: Dec 10, 2013 10:30:19 am
      Mignolet

McLaughlin.      Illori.        Sakho.    Flanaghan/?

Teixeira.     Coutinho.       Suso

?              Suarez.      Sturridge

How long, and who do we need to bring in to be a serious contender again?

Longer than two years with some of those players. Flanaghan is fine cover but isn't potent enough in attack to be a first choice Full Back. The rest of the kids in that squad might start breaking through on a more regular basis in two years but they won't be first choice because we'll still have Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel and Agger around in two year as well as hopefully a well developed midfield full of internationals.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Dec 10, 2013 02:41:12 pm
      Longer than two years with some of those players. Flanaghan is fine cover but isn't potent enough in attack to be a first choice Full Back. The rest of the kids in that squad might start breaking through on a more regular basis in two years but they won't be first choice because we'll still have Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel and Agger around in two year as well as hopefully a well developed midfield full of internationals.

You're being a bit optimistic there mate as I doubt any of those players will still be with us in 2 years. 

Glen's contract is up in June and there's no signs of a new one being offered, let alone signed. 

Agger and Skrtel both signed extensions last year but they also run out in 2016, same as Enrique's and all of these will either be 30 or not far off when their contracts expire.

We already have a midfield full of Internationals.  Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson are all full internationals although it might mean something if they were German or Spanish internationals with the exception of Lucas of course  ;)

Quick Reply