Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

As the Injuries pile up!

Read 12147 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: As the Injuries pile up!
      Reply #92: Dec 10, 2013 09:34:59 pm
      Feared the worst as I always tend to with our players. 3-4 weeks still only gets him back for the very end of December at best. So those who disagreed with the "we need to talk about Gerrard" thread which included the issue that his body can't take playing every single minute and needed resting rather than dropping might accept that the high work load probably had something to do with the strain. Especially when you consider he's been playing with a back injury (long standing I think) with pain killers, asking for trouble basically.

Every club picks up injuries as the season progresses and 1 striker, 1 defender and 2 midfielders shouldn't feel such a massive impact as Gerrard, Enrique, Sturridge and Henderson feels on our ability to form a match day squad.

No doubt this will make our extremely generous owners to dig deeper into those ever deep coffers because of it..... (if you can't tell that's sarcasm you should check your pulse).
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #93: Dec 10, 2013 09:46:28 pm
      BR should have displayed some foresight in the chance of this occurring and against some of the cannon fodder games given him a rest and blooded Alberto or given Allen more game time.

There again hindsight is a wonderful thing.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #94: Dec 10, 2013 10:14:40 pm

No doubt this will make our extremely generous owners to dig deeper into those ever deep coffers because of it..... (if you can't tell that's sarcasm you should check your pulse).

You've got laugh mate otherwise you'd go F***ing crazy.
      Here's a man who has a pivotal role in the success or failure of our campaign in the Premier League, a campaign that's seen our best start in many a year.
      SG is 33, taking pain killers for a long term issue and is driving himself to return as soon as poss. from a hamstring strain putting the club first as is his way.
      FSG are quite prepared to allow this intolerable situation to continue while refusing to invest in their asset, laughably claiming to be acting in the long term interests of LFC.
      SG was 32 last year; the owners promised this and that and although the ramifications of him being injured were as relevant then as they are now F**k all was done.
      The owners haven't even bothered with hollow promises this time around - sarcasm is well in order.

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #95: Dec 11, 2013 12:36:19 am
      why did club buy alberto and not even playing, when we could spent that money and bit extra on good midfield, who walk in firstteam
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #96: Dec 11, 2013 02:03:03 am
      why did club buy alberto and not even playing, when we could spent that money and bit extra on good midfield, who walk in firstteam

The fee for him and Illori was 16m combined. I'm as dumbfounded as you are with that business considering we had Suso and Wisdom at the time to fill in what is exactly the same role these two.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #97: Dec 11, 2013 03:21:25 am
      The fee for him and Illori was 16m combined. I'm as dumbfounded as you are with that business considering we had Suso and Wisdom at the time to fill in what is exactly the same role these two.

agree as well.

sometimes i rather we dont buy a few of these players and then drop a big amount on a world class player.  Aresnal's business with ozil shows you just how well one super quality player can make a great difference
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #98: Dec 11, 2013 06:29:09 am
      This seems to be FSGs attitude, why buy a can of Coke when you can get 3 cans of own brand Cola for the same price?
      Its a lot to do with wages as well, The wages of the world class player that would actually make a real difference to the team, is probably still more than the 3 squad players brought in instead combined.

Injuries happen in football, do FSG not know this?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #99: Dec 11, 2013 06:36:52 am
      What we have now though is an opportunity for some lads who've been patiently waiting  to step up to the plate to stake their claim. Guys will their moment in the spotlight, I believe they won't fluff their lines.

Have faith in our team, WE ARE LIVERPOOL!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #100: Dec 11, 2013 07:19:12 am
      agree as well.

sometimes i rather we dont buy a few of these players and then drop a big amount on a world class player.  Aresnal's business with ozil shows you just how well one super quality player can make a great difference

You could argue, and the few Arsenal fans I know have, that Flamini on a free has had more influence and been a better signing than Ozil.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #101: Dec 11, 2013 08:16:26 am
      This seems to be FSGs attitude, why buy a can of Coke when you can get 3 cans of own brand Cola for the same price?

:lmao:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #102: Dec 11, 2013 09:48:53 am
      Aresnal's business with ozil shows you just how well one super quality player can make a great difference
      He's certainly lifted those around him, to a new level; according to the players themselves.  :nod:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #103: Dec 11, 2013 09:53:50 am
      You could argue, and the few Arsenal fans I know have, that Flamini on a free has had more influence and been a better signing than Ozil.

Good point.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,716 posts | 7164 
      Reply #104: Dec 11, 2013 10:14:26 am
      Its never about the fee its about the effectiveness of the player.Gary Mac was a 102 when he came to us but he had a great affect on the whole team.
      We need a few like him in the squad as well as expensive possible flops.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #105: Dec 11, 2013 10:54:01 am

I think if you did a poll of all their fans, and included Wenger himself, asking which of the two they were happiest signing, Ozil would get about 99% of the vote.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #106: Dec 11, 2013 10:57:54 am
      I think if you did a poll of all their fans, and included Wenger himself, asking which of the two they were happiest signing, Ozil would get about 99% of the vote.

In that point, I know you're wrong, Dave, one of the few Arsenal fans I know, said Flamini won 70%-30% (aprox) when the question was asked on the forum he frequents.

Edit, I just noticed you use the term happiest, that wasn't the  point I was making, it was who had made the most impact.  A completely different concept.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #107: Dec 15, 2013 06:12:10 pm
      It would sound balanced to an observer not familiar with the tactical nous and suitability of certain players in specific areas of play. Not forgoing the fact of course that Coutinho is physically unsuitable for that depth in midfield.
      eat humble pie. Coutinho played in attacking midfield with cover from Lucas and Allen just like I said he should and we won 5-0 at WHL.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #108: Dec 15, 2013 06:16:21 pm
      So, you are saying we should play Coutinho in centre mid, alongside Lucas?

Behave fella.
      or get a clue, whichever is appropriate.
      I said play Coutinho and Lucas in midfield. Looks like I already had a clue.  BR did too and we won 5-0 with Lucas and Coutinho in our midfield.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #109: Dec 15, 2013 06:21:03 pm
      I said play Coutinho and Lucas in midfield. Looks like I already had a clue.  BR did too and we won 5-0 with Lucas and Coutinho in our midfield.

The only problem is you're wrong.

Henderson and Lucas played in the centre with Allen just in front of them.

Coutinho played left with license to drift inside, like he always does.

It might be an idea to make sure you're right before giving it billy big bollocks.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,716 posts | 7164 
      Reply #110: Dec 15, 2013 06:48:41 pm
      The only problem is you're wrong.

Henderson and Lucas played in the centre with Allen just in front of them.

Coutinho played left with license to drift inside, like he always does.

It might be an idea to make sure you're right before giving it billy big bollocks.
      Let him have is moment deluded as it is.A legend in his own lunchtime.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #111: Dec 15, 2013 07:12:13 pm
      eat humble pie. Coutinho played in attacking midfield with cover from Lucas and Allen just like I said he should and we won 5-0 at WHL.

What game were you watching??
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #112: Dec 15, 2013 07:32:15 pm

The post referred to describes Coutinho as being unsuitable for a deep midfield role, you mistakenly point out that today he was in an attacking mid-field position and invite me to partake of some pie??
      If it's spiked with whatever you're on I'll give it a miss.     
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #113: Dec 30, 2013 05:19:58 pm
      If we can, I'd gladly see us bring back Suso, Borini, and Assaidi from loan.  These 3 could add the necessary quality depth that we are lacking at the moment as the injuries continue to pile up....
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #114: Jan 06, 2014 11:03:07 am
      The injuries have merely exposed what we all knew: lack of depth in the squad. It's fantastic to see Flanagan come on, and the resurgence of Sterling has been great, but it's not enough.

We need to allow Rodgers to splash some money in this transfer window if we want to give ourselves a good chance of securing a Top 4 finish. While we had a truly spectacular victory over Spurs without Sturridge and Gerrard, it was - predictably - the zero points gained in the games against City and Chelsea that hammered home the point.

It was inarguable that we should have got a draw at The Etihad, but still the vast array of options they had to call upon was startling. They had three subs who cost £25m each. It was just as stark against Chelsea. We had a 16 year old on the bench. Chelsea had Torres (£50m), Schurrle (£18m) and Mata (£25m). OK, so Mignolet made two horrible errors in both games, but few people expected different results.

You simply cannot compete with that kind of financial firepower, which is why those two teams will finish above us, as will Arsenal.

You cannot win titles with a squad as thin as ours and Rodgers needs to get in another midfielder and attacking player at the very least. It's often said that January is a tough place to find bargains, but we have done it before (Sturridge, Suarez, Coutinho) and we need to do it again; we cannot win games if we have to rely on the likes of Aspas, Cissokho and Alberto.

Quick Reply