Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Pre Match Discussion - Liverpool V Cardiff City: 21st Dec KO: 12:45 BT Sport

Read 11399 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Pre Match Discussion - Liverpool V Cardiff City: 21st Dec KO: 12:45 BT Sport
      Dec 17, 2013 11:42:30 pm
      Liverpool V Cardiff City 21st Dec KO: 12:45 BT Sport

Our past two meetings have been in the League Cup of which we won both. The last being the League Cup Final in 2012.

There's been a few players moved on since this team and a few new faces added.

With a win against Cardiff we can go top of the league; at least temporarily. These are the kinds of games we have dropped points in the past and are the ones which we need to start winning. Also this is one of the four games in which we need to win over the Christmas period; we've already won one of them so lets make it two for two before the harder fixtures next week.

Highly confident for this one though after the result against Spurs last weekend, lets keep that form up and hopefully bag another few goals!

I don't expect them to be much of an attacking threat to us with only 12 goals scored this season they equal Sunderland's goal haul and are only just slightly better than 18th placed Crystal Palace who have net 11 goals so far. We have the second best goals tally in the league so I expect there should be a few goals in this fixture.

This would be my selection for this game:

With how we played against Spurs I can't see the need to shuffle much if anything around. I'm confident in the Sahko - Skrtel partnership and I also think Raheem and Allen both deserve their place in the line up this week.

I'm gonna predict a 4-0 to us with Coutinho, Suarez x 2, and either Skrtel or Sahko with the goals.

Who would you pick, and what is your prediction for this game?

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Re: Pre Match Discussion - Liverpool V Cardiff City: 21st Dec KO: 12:45 BT Sport
      Reply #1: Dec 18, 2013 12:15:28 am
      Would go with the same team again, would hope to have the game as good as over at half-time which would give us the chance to rest players for the 2 huge away games the week after. Cardiff only seem to be able to challenge better teams at home and with our current home form Im sure we should get the win, another big 4/5-0 win would be very nice but I would simply take the 3 points.

Some interesting comments tonight from BR as he said Rossiter and Brad Jones will feature in the squads over the christmas period, would like to see Rossiter on the bench, would be great experience for him! Anyway, play anywhere near the level at Spurs an we should have no worries.
      3-1 I reckon, Suarez x2 + Coutinho to take us top of the league! (till monday at least).
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Pre Match Discussion - Liverpool V Cardiff City: 21st Dec KO: 12:45 BT Sport
      Reply #2: Dec 18, 2013 01:01:48 am
      Same of the same ... and Luis as El Capitain otra vez .

A win will do and on Monday if the Chavs and Gooners draw we can  be proper top on GD.

Not bad.

Relentless again Red Men !

(When you do look at the photo it is amazing those who have gone in just over 18 months.)
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2013 01:21:54 am by eurored »
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Dec 18, 2013 01:03:36 am
      Would go with the same team again, would hope to have the game as good as over at half-time which would give us the chance to rest players for the 2 huge away games the week after. Cardiff only seem to be able to challenge better teams at home and with our current home form Im sure we should get the win, another big 4/5-0 win would be very nice but I would simply take the 3 points.

Some interesting comments tonight from BR as he said Rossiter and Brad Jones will feature in the squads over the christmas period, would like to see Rossiter on the bench, would be great experience for him! Anyway, play anywhere near the level at Spurs an we should have no worries.
      3-1 I reckon, Suarez x2 + Coutinho to take us top of the league! (till monday at least).

Hey Paul, have you got a link to the managers comments about rossiter and Jones?

:)
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #4: Dec 18, 2013 01:10:06 am
      I don't think they will be push overs but I'm going for a 2-1 win, come on you Red Men.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Dec 18, 2013 05:29:16 am
      No reason whatsoever to change anything, can't see bluebirds causing to many issues,

Won't be a walk in the park but I still reckon we will bag a few,

with Chavs & Arse meeting on MNF and hopefully drawing we will stay top on goals scored , a wee confidence boost going into the 'who's top @ Xmas ' clash with Citeh & Arse well Boxing Day if my Callander is right

Mignolet
         Johnson Skrtel Sakhi Flanno
                  Lucas. Allen
         Hendo.  Coutinho. Sterling
                      Suarez(c)

Sorry Cardiff but , I can see you getting properly GUBBED !

I'm going for another 5 goal haul from the Redmen

5-0 Suarez, Sterling , Hendo bagging the delights

YNWA
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #6: Dec 18, 2013 06:48:15 am
      I will go with the same team from the  spurs game......if they bring
      the same   performance  from the last game into this game  , Iam very confident
      that we will win  this  one  ....3-0
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #7: Dec 18, 2013 07:18:40 am
      This is going to be barring any injuries one of the easiest selections for BR. Same team again please and once we have a 2-3 goal cushion then maybe give some of the fringe players some game time - Alberto, Aspas
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #8: Dec 18, 2013 07:48:19 am
      no complacency, remember they were no push overs in the cup final. Get a 2 goal lead then take off suarez coutinho and Johnson with 25 minutes to go
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #9: Dec 18, 2013 09:15:33 am
      no complacency, remember they were no push overs in the cup final. Get a 2 goal lead then take off suarez coutinho and Johnson with 25 minutes to go
      remember the cliche about a 2 goal lead being a dangerous one, 25 minutes is a long time. I would wait for 3 before we start taking off our best players.
      CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #10: Dec 18, 2013 09:28:05 am
      As people have said, same team as Spurs but different  result for me.
      would like  a small mother of 7 goals for us...........
      Keep up  our momentum and put pressure on the other teams around us because goal difference is going to be worth extra points come the end of the season.could be the difference between us  finishing 1st or  2nd!!!!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: Dec 18, 2013 09:44:33 am
      Same team as Sunday, but I think it will be a very different game against Cardiff. Very physical with Cardiff fighting for every ball. We need to concentrate on winning the game rather than trying to knock up a big score.

I will be very happy if we win 2-0 with no injuries or cards.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #12: Dec 18, 2013 10:17:50 am
      If the theory of poor performer should sit on the bench or drop then I expected to see Kelly start at RB instead of Johnson.
      And if Coutinho not fully 100% fit (I think he looked tired against Spurs) then I hope BR rest him for the really tough games ahead.

My team :

Mignolet

Kelly      Skrtel       Sakho     Flanno         

Lucas

Allen
                                                        Alberto

Sterling                           Henderson
                                                   Suarez 

Subs :  Jones, Agger, Johnson, Coutinho, Rossiter, Ibe, Aspas

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Dec 18, 2013 11:43:28 am
      Going to miss this one due to working but I'll be following online whenever I get the chance.

Same team as Sunday please Brendan, 3 points is all that matters but a repeat of the spuds scoreline wouldn't hurt  :D
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #14: Dec 18, 2013 11:53:17 am
      No complacency. I think this will be tough, score the first and we will win. Would love to be top on Christmas Day.
      Anker Rose Skov
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #15: Dec 18, 2013 01:31:36 pm
      I would like to see Agger again. Why not with Sakho and Agger- instead of Skrtel?

We will win 2-0
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #16: Dec 18, 2013 01:36:52 pm
      A nice 1-0 win please. Send us top for (an hour or two at least) Christmas :)
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #17: Dec 18, 2013 01:50:55 pm
      A nice 1-0 win please. Send us top for (an hour or two at least) Christmas :)
      More than that. Chelsea and Arsenal would be the only teams that can go above us and they both play on Monday (Chelsea would need to win by 8 or more to go above us). Thats a whole 2 days (at least) of being the best team in England.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #18: Dec 18, 2013 02:10:26 pm
      We certainly should set out the same against spurs but I have a feeling Cardiff will set a team out to counter that method. We need to anticipate what formation they will use to cope with what we set out against spurs and use that to prepare for plan b. We should also see how Cardiff has been playing,  I don't think they will change the whole team around.  I think we'll win but they will be hard to break down as it will be one of those Cardiff defending games and trying to hit us on the counter. So we got to be aware of that going forward.  The so called easier games can be hard as we saw against hull. I predict we'll win 2-0.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,336 posts | 4962 
      Reply #19: Dec 18, 2013 03:22:56 pm
      Same team as Sunday and the same result if not by the same margin.

I don't expect anything less that 3 points here and not me being arrogant but we are far too good to be beaten at home by the likes of Cardiff these days and anything less that a win will cancel out the great result from last weekend.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Dec 18, 2013 03:50:56 pm
      Same team. Cardiff are no mugs, but as long as our midfield and back line bring the same focus and intensity we should be ok. This will be a different game entirely, as Cardiff will more than likely try to stifle us from playing, whereas Spurs seem to just let us.

Joe Allen and Brendan should be well up for this one :D
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #21: Dec 18, 2013 04:00:53 pm
      We have to actually show up and beat these, not just expect the win. That's what happened against Hull and looked what happened us.

I really, really do hope that Brendan rams this down the players throats as we win this and we go top. It really is a great opportunity for these players, even just for confidence alone going into the City & Chelsea games.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #22: Dec 18, 2013 04:01:49 pm
      A couple of changes wouldn't surprise me considering we have City and Chelsea away in the space of a few days coming up. Could see Lucas dropping to the bench and either Alberto or Moses coming in. Maybe a rest for Glen too.

Confident we'll win this although I don't think it will be as comfortable as our last couple of home games.

Quick Reply