Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Pre Match Discussion - Liverpool V Cardiff City: 21st Dec KO: 12:45 BT Sport

Read 11366 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Re: Pre Match Discussion - Liverpool V Cardiff City: 21st Dec KO: 12:45 BT Sport
      Reply #69: Dec 19, 2013 07:25:55 pm
      Cardiff stunned Shanks on debut
      LFC's lunchtime clash with Cardiff will be the first league meeting between the clubs for 54 years.
      It was Saturday 19th Dec 1959 when the Welsh outfit stunned the Kop with a 4-0 triumph which indicated the task that lay ahead of new boss Bill Shankly.
      Ronnie Moran was in the side that day, he had graduated from apprentice to captain and first choice left back, he said ''how could I forget Bill's first game? I played in it, after we trudged off the pitch I said to Alan A'Court 'I wonder what's going to happen now? I bet we're really going to get a bollocking' - but it didn't materialise''.
      ''But Bill wasn't like that, the only time I saw him get really angry was with a reporter who had written something in the paper that was incorrect, he really gave the reporter a rollicking but he never carried on like that in the dressing room, he wasn't one of those cups at the wall types''. 

Within three years of that heavy defeat by Cardiff Shankly's Anfield revolution had restored LFC to the top flight and in 1964 they were champions of England for the 6th time.

From the Echo.
      « Last Edit: Dec 19, 2013 08:43:46 pm by stuey »
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Re: Pre Match Discussion - Liverpool V Cardiff City: 21st Dec KO: 12:45 BT Sport
      Reply #70: Dec 19, 2013 07:30:25 pm
      Have to admit I'm a tiny bit concerned. Everyone seems to be looking ahead to the City and Chelsea games and I just hope that this one doesn't pass the lads by. If we turn up, we'll win 5-0. If not, we'll either win 1-0 or draw.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #71: Dec 19, 2013 07:34:19 pm
      Have to admit I'm a tiny bit concerned. Everyone seems to be looking ahead to the City and Chelsea games and I just hope that this one doesn't pass the lads by. If we turn up, we'll win 5-0. If not, we'll either win 1-0 or draw.

1-0 win sound good to me, wondering why it doesn't for you?
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #72: Dec 19, 2013 07:36:54 pm
      1-0 win sound good to me, wondering why it doesn't for you?

Goal difference. Cardiff are there for a 5-0 thrashing and we are at home aswell. Depends whether the lads want to do another Tottenham or just settle for a 1-0 victory. I'm not bothered personally, it's still 3 points but hammering a mediocre pub team 5-0 to do our goal difference the world of good would be even better considering the goal difference of the teams around us.
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #73: Dec 19, 2013 08:20:29 pm
      bbc supposedly reporting vincent tan is forcing malky mckay to quit
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #74: Dec 19, 2013 08:42:02 pm
      What a disgusting piece of work that Tan is. Been a lot of controversy going into this match and that will only increase 10 fold now.

We've simply got to keep our heads down and focus as one and try to ignore what is happening to Cardiff at the moment regardless of how unbelievable it is.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #75: Dec 19, 2013 08:47:45 pm
      What a disgusting piece of work that Tan is. Been a lot of controversy going into this match and that will only increase 10 fold now.

We've simply got to keep our heads down and focus as one and try to ignore what is happening to Cardiff at the moment regardless of how unbelievable it is.

That club will go right down the pan [tan] now.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #76: Dec 19, 2013 08:50:26 pm
      I think Tan has been trying to force him out for a while, why should he walk, stay and take the compensation and I hope the players show some solidarity for their boss. Another stupid owner who does not have a clue about football.
      Why are they always attracted to our League .....................oh yes the vast riches!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #77: Dec 19, 2013 09:27:33 pm
      The Cardiff lads are going to be right up for this now after the comments by their gobs***e owner. Got to be ruthless though, if this is a big win that forces McKay into getting the boot then so be it, we simply must win.

Hope the boys are 100% focused on this and not eyeing up City.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #78: Dec 19, 2013 09:29:43 pm
      The Cardiff lads are going to be right up for this now after the comments by their gobs***e owner. Got to be ruthless though, if this is a big win that forces McKay into getting the boot then so be it, we simply must win.

Hope the boys are 100% focused on this and not eyeing up City.

Just like the Southampton defeat when we had United the week after. It's a common thing with us, hope they have learnt from past mistakes and slaughter these to be fired up for Citeh.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #79: Dec 20, 2013 12:50:09 am

Cardiff manager Malky Mackay has been told to resign or face being sacked by the Welsh club's owner Vincent Tan.

Press Association Sport understands Tan sent Mackay a letter by email on Monday, outlining his grievances with the former Watford boss at great length.

Tan was highly critical of Mackay's signings, style of play, results and performance as a manager.

The letter also included the ultimatum that the Scot quit or be given the boot by the controversial Malaysian businessman.

A Cardiff spokesman told Press Association Sport: ''The club is not party to any letter sent from one person to another.''

Mackay, who led Cardiff to the 2012 League Cup final before securing the Championship title last term, has previously stated he would not resign from his position, and it is believed it could cost Tan somewhere in the region of £3million to sack the 41-year-old, whose contract runs until 2016.

Mackay's position as Bluebirds boss has been under scrutiny since Tan removed his head of recruitment Iain Moody in October amid suggestions of a summer transfer window overspend, something the Scot and Moody denied outright.

The problems at the club deepened on Monday, the same day as Tan's email was sent, when chief executive Simon Lim released a statement claiming Tan was ''extremely upset'' at Mackay's comments he hoped to bring in three players in January, and that there would not be ''a single penny'' available to spend next month.

Mackay is scheduled to hold his pre-match press conference on Friday morning, ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League trip to Liverpool, with his future set to again be the central topic.

The latest row with Tan has also seen odds on the Scot becoming the next West Brom manager slashed.

Source : MSN Sport

http://sport.uk.msn.com/football/mackay-given-bluebirds-ultimatum

We are getting them sacked by the week ... or they are sacking themselves. :D

Maureen and PellyGweeny next .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #80: Dec 20, 2013 12:55:12 am
      Just like the Southampton defeat when we had United the week after. It's a common thing with us, hope they have learnt from past mistakes and slaughter these to be fired up for Citeh.

We drew against Swansea two weeks after the United result which was interrupted by an international break.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #81: Dec 20, 2013 05:27:00 am
      just grabbed this from a thread over on the official lfc forums

>>
      Quote Originally Posted by navmister
      Mig

Kelly Toure Agger Flanno

Sterling Allen Lucas Moses

Aspas Ibe

Subs: Sakho, Suarez, Hendo, Coutinho, Johnson, jones

Risky set up but gives us a strong bench to change things up. Gets the players ready for Man City and Chelsea.

>>

luckily we dont have that level of delusion from the membership here.

just play the strongest XI currently.  the one that won at spurs... go up on goals fast and furious... then BR can rest key players once the result is put to bed. there cannot be any mistakes here
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #82: Dec 20, 2013 08:49:58 am
      just grabbed this from a thread over on the official lfc forums

>>
      Quote Originally Posted by navmister
      Mig

Kelly Toure Agger Flanno

Sterling Allen Lucas Moses

Aspas Ibe

Subs: Sakho, Suarez, Hendo, Coutinho, Johnson, jones

Risky set up but gives us a strong bench to change things up. Gets the players ready for Man City and Chelsea.

>>

luckily we dont have that level of delusion from the membership here.

just play the strongest XI currently.  the one that won at spurs... go up on goals fast and furious... then BR can rest key players once the result is put to bed. there cannot be any mistakes here

Exactly, secure and then savor! Not extremely worried about the back-4 but I would rather have Coutinho, Suarez & Hendo starting in place of Aspas, Ibe and Moses. Hopefully, we are out of sight in the first hour, and then bring on the subs
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #83: Dec 20, 2013 11:36:24 am
      On City Talk this morning that this match for Cardiff will go two way...

1.  They run around like headless chickens
      2.  They surround the manager and put in a brilliant performance

I think the latter. 

Hoping we get an early goal but I'm bricking it in all honesty.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #84: Dec 20, 2013 11:56:35 am
      On City Talk this morning that this match for Cardiff will go two way...

1.  They run around like headless chickens
      2.  They surround the manager and put in a brilliant performance

I think the latter. 

Hoping we get an early goal but I'm bricking it in all honesty.

It's all about quality. If we put in a good shift, there will be little they can do.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #85: Dec 20, 2013 12:57:27 pm
      Cardiff owner flies in to sack manager Malky Mackay
      Cardiff owner Vincent Tan will decide in the coming hours whether to sack boss Malky Mackay before or after Saturday's league match at Liverpool.

Tan is flying to the United Kingdom having told Mackay to resign or face being dismissed - and Mackay has repeatedly said he will not walk away.

Chairman Mehmet Dalman has a preferred candidate to succeed the 41-year-old and Tan's permission to strike a deal.

The target is understood to be a household name at another British club.

Crazy!

Help or hinder us?

Just don't know what to make of this at all.
      Rest here:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25464611
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #86: Dec 20, 2013 01:27:25 pm
      I think the situation at Cardiff will help us, especially since the manager will more than likely be sacked before kick off. It's absolutely disgraceful that he's getting sacked but I do think it will benefit us, even though we shouldn't need any help to beat Cardiff.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #87: Dec 20, 2013 01:33:47 pm
      Owners these days.
      Fuckwits.
       :roll:

Not that I really give a sh*t apart from how it affects the game ;)
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #88: Dec 20, 2013 01:44:56 pm
      Lets put the nail in Malkay's coffin. Sacked or not we shouldn't give a sh*t and just hammer them. Hate the Welsh clubs.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #89: Dec 20, 2013 02:04:11 pm
      Go into it with the same spirit that dismantled the spuds, the players should not be distracted by external issues and give 100%, Cardiff can do what the F**k they like it should not affect our performance.   
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #90: Dec 20, 2013 02:27:38 pm
      Would be kind of cool though  if we cause the sacking of 2 managers in 2 consecutive games :laugh:
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2013 02:38:27 pm by heimdall »
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #91: Dec 20, 2013 02:31:15 pm
      Why is he actually getting sacked? Is it because he stated that the owners need to back him in the winter transfer market? Or are they generally dissatisfied with the little progress he is thought to have made this season?

Quick Reply