Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool hoping to break the bank to extend Suarez's contract

Read 14796 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Liverpool hoping to break the bank to extend Suarez's contract
      Dec 17, 2013 10:51:33 pm
      Liverpool open talks with Luis Suárez's agent over new contract

• Liverpool keen to avoid another summer of transfer rumour
      • Suárez receives award from Football Supporters' Federation

The Liverpool forward Luis Suárez with the Player of the Year award presented to him by the Football Supporters' Federation. Photograph: Steve Welsh/PA

Liverpool have opened talks with Luis Suárez's agent over the new contract they hope will keep the brilliant Uruguay international at Anfield and out of the reach of Europe's richest clubs for the prime of his career.

The Anfield club's managing director, Ian Ayre, flew to Barcelona on Tuesday for preliminary negotiations with Pere Guardiola, the agent involved in the striker's dispute with Liverpool over the terms in his existing deal when Arsenal tried to sign him in the summer.

Suárez has two and a half years remaining on his contract and Liverpool's owners, Fenway Sports Group, have been reluctant to offer extensions midway through a season. Such has been Suárez's stunning form since his return from suspension on 25 September, with his 17 goals in 11 matches propelling Liverpool to within two points of the Premier League leaders, Arsenal, that those plans have been revised.

There was no official contract offer put to Guardiola by Ayre. Their meeting was merely the start of what could prove a protracted process, with the brother of the Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola well aware of how highly Suárez's stock has risen this season. Real Madrid were interested in the 26-year-old in the summer but did not lodge an official bid, although they are expected to again be among Suárez's suitors at the end of this campaign.

Liverpool hope to head off another summer of speculation over the striker's future by offering to make Suárez the highest-paid player at Anfield at a time when his career is flourishing under Brendan Rodgers.

The rehabilitation of the Premier League's leading goalscorer was reflected in a rare individual accolade on Monday, when he was named the 2013 player of the year at the Football Supporters' Federation Awards at the Emirates Stadium.

Suárez chose "coming back to play" at Anfield as his highlight of the year and credited his relationship with the Liverpool supporters as the key to his recovery.

He said: "After so many difficult moments for me I was able to win the supporters back, and that was unbelievable when I came back to play."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/17/liverpool-luis-suarez-agent-contract
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2013 12:18:33 am by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Liverpool hoping to break the bank to extend Suarez's contract
      Reply #1: Dec 18, 2013 01:00:39 am
      I'd imagine this meeting was all about Ian Ayre taking over a few bottles of vodka and trying to make best mates again after the summer £1 debacle.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #2: Dec 18, 2013 05:27:11 am
      lets be honest here.  at this current stage.  LFC needs to open its wallet and pay whatever it needs to keep suarez.  this guy really is world class.  some players are good with their feet, others with set pieces.. and others with headers... suarez is the complete package.  his 4 goals vs norwich demonstrated how versatile he is.  we lose him and i can truly say we are set back a couple years. 

henry... go make suarez the highest paid player in the prem.  you will make all that money back if we can get CL.  heck i wonder what suarez's shirt sales are now anyways
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2013 03:59:33 pm by DaktionLFC »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #3: Dec 18, 2013 06:21:27 am
      Facebook rumors saying it could be around £200,000. I wonder who will be shipped out to pay for that?
      Seriously though, Suarez is probably the No1 player in the world right now, if that's what it takes to keep him here, then give it to him.
      Hell, we'll chip in if necessary :-)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Dec 18, 2013 06:24:15 am
      Give his agent a pen and a piece of paper, tell him to name his price, and pay it.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #5: Dec 18, 2013 07:50:22 am
      with Borini and and Assaidi increasing their value by scoring against Chelsea we might just have the money
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #6: Dec 18, 2013 08:03:40 am
      Give his agent a pen and a piece of paper, tell him to name his price, and pay it.
      Give his agent a pen and a piece of paper, tell him to name his price, and double it.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #7: Dec 18, 2013 08:10:08 am
      Facebook rumors saying it could be around £200,000. I wonder who will be shipped out to pay for that?

Thanks for everything, Glen. YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #8: Dec 18, 2013 08:18:45 am
      Hopefully nobody will be shipped out. They need to look at the big picture and extra income from Suarez staying will more than recoup the extra wages.
      But their Yanks so probably only interested in the bottom line.  :f_wah:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #9: Dec 18, 2013 09:18:53 am
      Thanks for everything, Glen. YNWA

Yep.

Maybe Dagger as well.

Job done for FSG.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #10: Dec 18, 2013 09:32:51 am
      It remains to be seen how much influence and what effect his agent will have on the outcome of any discussions.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: Dec 18, 2013 09:32:57 am

Danny Agger

According to Italian press reports, Liverpool defender Daniel Agger is ready to move to Napoli on loan in January.

Rafa Benitez is set to be reunited with Danish defender Daniel Agger at the Stadio San Paolo if reports in Italy are to be believed.

Agger is having a tough time at Liverpool where he is rarely used by Brendan Rodgers but he could be just the man Napoli need.

It was widely reported that Napoli approached Liverpool at the beginning of the week to discuss a loan deal for the 29-year-old.

And the latest reports in Italy from Il Mattino suggest that Agger is ready to approve the transfer.

The paper claims that Liverpool have asked for a payment of at least £1m in exchange for Agger's services for the rest of the season, giving Napoli first refusal to negotiate a permanent deal in June.

Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis has already made it clear that he intends to bring in reinforcements in the winter window and is known to have a significant budget at his disposal.

Agger is said to be keen to take on a fresh challenge and Il Mattino says that he would receive a similar salary in Campania of just under £3.4m per year.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/12/18/reports-agger-agrees-napoli-switch/

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #12: Dec 18, 2013 09:38:02 am
      looks like we'll need a new vice-captain...Suarez anyone?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Dec 18, 2013 09:40:14 am
      Give his agent a pen and a piece of paper, tell him to name his price, and double it.

Bring Jen Chang back for this one.

Get him to stick a shotgun in his mouth and make him sign it.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Dec 18, 2013 09:42:27 am
      Seriously though I can't see Suarez signing another deal mid season unless its heavily laden with clear cut clauses that allow him an out if we fail to qualify for the champions league.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #15: Dec 18, 2013 10:13:37 am
      Seriously though I can't see Suarez signing another deal mid season unless its heavily laden with clear cut clauses that allow him an out if we fail to qualify for the champions league.
      With a release clause of £110,000,000 included hopefully!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #16: Dec 18, 2013 10:24:37 am
      JWH cannot lose with Luis Suarez, if we qualify for the CL with the associated spondoolies; Luis stays.
      If we fail to qualify, Luis gets off for a sizeable fee.
      Everywhichway the owners benefit while doing exactly F**k all, £200k a week qualifies F**k all in this context.
      All thanks to Kenny Dalglish who they pissed on from a great height and disgracefully dismissed.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #17: Dec 18, 2013 10:27:54 am

Agree.

Also by signing any contract that has a clear get out clause then it only strengthens his hand as last summer he only had his word against the club.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: Dec 18, 2013 10:55:57 am
      Yep.

Maybe Dagger as well.

Job done for FSG.

Indeed Si; made all the easier when 'fans' turn on the players. At the moment Glen is this weeks' 'one to hate' but Danny has held that title in previous weeks; Jordan escapes by the skin of his teeth. Next up - Lucas.

Right, less of the cynicism and back to the matter in hand. A new contract for Suarez. It's a no brainer which only those with no brain (funnily enough) won't see. One of the best players in the world should be getting paid his worth. One of the best players in the world is a Red - what he brings to the club (in every way) should never be underestimated or undervalued.

From new fans to increased revenue streams, to drawing power and, more importantly, on-field success the lad is precious... and he's ours. Give him what he wants. Build a team, filled with quality players, around him. Now.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Dec 18, 2013 11:11:10 am
      Let's hope we don't mess up and secure his services for another couple of years but I have a feeling it won't be too difficult for Luis to put pen to paper  ;)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #20: Dec 18, 2013 11:28:10 am
      Indeed Si; made all the easier when 'fans' turn on the players. At the moment Glen is this weeks' 'one to hate' but Danny has held that title in previous weeks...

Where would we be without scapegoats?
      To be clear, I don't WANT Johnson to go, I actually think he's very underrated by many fans. I just suspect he's getting to that point where a 'business decision' will be made. High wages and still has resale value and, they may argue is not irreplaceable.
      Similarly with Dagger. It would be a bit of a blow for me personally to see him go. His passion and commitment could never be questioned and with the ball on the ground, he's one of the best defenders about. Unfortunately his career is littered with absences for one reason or another and in terms of his overall game, it could be argued that the potential to replace him has already been proven so the idea of getting his wages off the accounts and selling him on may appeal to those who make the decisions and that isn't us, unfortunately.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #21: Dec 18, 2013 11:33:25 am
      Where would we be without scapegoats?
      To be clear, I don't WANT Johnson to go, I actually think he's very underrated by many fans. I just suspect he's getting to that point where a 'business decision' will be made. High wages and still has resale value and, they may argue is not irreplaceable.
      Similarly with Dagger. It would be a bit of a blow for me personally to see him go. His passion and commitment could never be questioned and with the ball on the ground, he's one of the best defenders about. Unfortunately his career is littered with absences for one reason or another and in terms of his overall game, it could be argued that the potential to replace him has already been proven so the idea of getting his wages off the accounts and selling him on may appeal to those who make the decisions and that isn't us, unfortunately.

I find it quite puzzling after all the upheaval and commotion (downright anger) shown when Agger was rumoured to be going before, no one seems to care too much now.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #22: Dec 18, 2013 11:41:14 am
      I find it quite puzzling after all the upheaval and commotion (downright anger) shown when Agger was rumoured to be going before, no one seems to care too much now.

You're not alone, mate.

Quick Reply