Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool hoping to break the bank to extend Suarez's contract

Read 14793 times
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Re: Liverpool hoping to break the bank to extend Suarez's contract
      Reply #69: Dec 19, 2013 11:22:46 am
      I may be extremely optimistic, but don't you have considered the possibility Luis is just as sincere about being happy at Liverpool now as it was about wanting to leave last summer, and doesn't plan to leave at all actually ?

I mean one thing that always was a problem for Luis dealing with the medias, is he is very frank. Instead of keeping low profile or hiding the truth he tends to always say what he thinks, which ended in things like the heavy ban in the Evra saga, the press campaign about him recognizing to dive, and lately the summer transfer saga.
      IMO Luis is not a scheming astute businessman giving calculated speeches to help his carreer, but all the contrary, someone who don't know how to lie in front of the press, and so who made big mistakes (in supporters eyes) like being frank when asked about his desire to join a CL club (then of course his agent tried to make that move happen, it's normal it's how an agent earns a living).

But what had the ultra frank Luis done or said after that transfer failed ? Has he shown any sign of unhappiness, like you would expect from someone always having difficulty to hide his feelings ? Not at all, everything he expressed was about him being happy to stay after all, and thanks for the team or fans support. And we can't have missed anything, as if Luis had shown the smallest sign of wanting to leave, we can be sure it would have made big titles in every newspaper.
      Not only that, but remember his little show with his daughters at Anfield... For me it doesn't looks like something someone planning to leave tomorrow would do, more a sign of real attachment to the club, a way to show he now considers Liverpool part of his family, and plan to see his childs grow there.

I may be completely wrong and wearing rosey tainted glasses, but IMO Luis changed his mind, and (except of course if the club completely fail to deliver him a chance to compete for honors) is now planning to stay long term.

The new contract may be just a way to reward his change of attitude and performances, as he clearly deserve one of the highest salaries in EPL being the best player, not something as important as some may think.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #70: Dec 19, 2013 11:50:34 am
      Whatever Real Madrid will offer him or any other club with deep pockets offer him; we should match it, even give a certain percentage more, like 5% or 10%. I know footballers are on ridiculous wages but it's not the point; because, it's just something that has to be done if the owners are realistic about the situation. I think they are. They value his passion and talent highly.
       I heard today that Real Madrid are going to make offers for him so like always- I will not expect him to stay but would love it if he did, therefore he should surely get paid wages in relation to the whole football world, because he is definitely in the top 5 players in the world on his current form.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #71: Dec 19, 2013 11:52:17 am
      There's little point it seems to me in raising his income if we don't get anything back for it. Real Madrid if/when they come in for him will offer a similar salary to which Ronaldo and Bale are on (rumoured to be £350K per week and more). Lets get Luis on that now, so at least we take that part of the temptation away. Also, lets get a ridiculous sell on fee inserted now, so that if/when he does go, we get all our money back and some.

And I'm surprised the "money grabber" inference is beginning to creep into some posts. To the best of my knowledge Luis hasn't asked for a rise, and even if he has he is worth every single penny of it. You could argue that almost whatever we pay him he is worth it barring a ridiculous injury, particularly given the Champions league bonanza which awaits us every season if we keep him (my opinion I know but there it is). If we don't make Champions League, he's off anyway and we get a monster fee for him. It's got to be the best "value for money" investment a football club has ever made when you really look at it.

A good point about the "money grabber".
      To the best of my knowledge (and I could be wrong here) FSG's strategy is to reward players based on their contribution, at first with heavily incentivised contracts, and then with higher basic wages, PLUS incentives as a player contributes more.

I have some issues with this as it's great for bringing in young players looking to prove themselves, but not so good for bringing in established "stars".

Back to Suarez, I don't think anyone can argue he hasn't contributed massively, and as much as I dislike the amounts of money on offer, that's the market that has to be dealt with. No point offering one of the top players in the world a fiver a week extra, especially as incentives to improve form such a big part of the FSG wage related to performance strategy.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #72: Dec 19, 2013 11:57:22 am
      Don't want a buyout clause in there because you just know Ayre will F**k it up and make it £50m or something ridiculous.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #73: Dec 19, 2013 12:07:04 pm
      Luis is one of the best in the world, at one of the most competitive endeavours in the World. Look at the most successful in finance, music, films, any type of business, even stuff like cookery and athletics, zip-making etc etc they are on big big money. If the club is properly run, they will benefit massively from having this megastar on their books.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #74: Dec 19, 2013 12:14:12 pm
      We have to make every effort to keep him.

Gerrard after the Spurs game said we will struggle to do so, and while I agree with him, I didn't appreciate him saying that. He should have just said something like, they'll be doing their best to hold onto him and convincing him that he's at the perfect club.

Anyway, It'd be great if we could get him to sign a new contract. The last thing we want is him leaving in January.

I think it comes down to whether or not he believes we will finish top 4. Hopefully we've done a good job to show him that we will.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #75: Dec 19, 2013 12:40:20 pm
      There is no doubt that we need to give Suarez a good contract, but more important than that I feel we need to show him our ambition by bringing in top players that will help him achieve his ambitions.

No point just giving him a massive salary and hoping he will stay, because imo if we are out of Europe and not challenging for trophies he will go anyway.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #76: Dec 19, 2013 01:00:11 pm
      The way I see it there has never been a time I can remember as a Red, where one player has been so pivotal to the success of the whole team.
      Give him whatever he asks for, and if he stays, give him the captains armband.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #77: Dec 19, 2013 01:01:31 pm
      There is no doubt that we need to give Suarez a good contract, but more important than that I feel we need to show him our ambition by bringing in top players that will help him achieve his ambitions.

No point just giving him a massive salary and hoping he will stay, because imo if we are out of Europe and not challenging for trophies he will go anyway.

Spot on.
      If we are still in a good position when the transfer window opens, I'd like to see FSG push on a bit.
      Speculate to accumulate.
      Any big sums will probably be in the form of loans from FSG to the club, but qualifying the the champions league would ensure that is paid back fairly quickly, and we can progress again.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #78: Dec 19, 2013 02:12:39 pm
      Rodgers building team around Suarez

From today's press conference. Nice one boss, but that damn top is just awful.
      Saying all the right things about Luis, would be interesting to see what happens.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #79: Dec 20, 2013 01:36:53 pm
      And there we go.

All done.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/151639-luis-suarez-signs-new-contract-at-lfc
      Luis Suarez today committed his future to Liverpool Football Club by signing a new long-term contract at Melwood.
      The 26-year-old Uruguayan insists he is 'proud' and 'delighted' at having put pen to paper on the new extended deal and is focused on helping the club achieve its ambitions of sustainable success both domestically and in Europe.

The Reds' No.7 also paid tribute to the supporters, citing the 'special relationship' he has with them as a key factor in reaffirming his commitment to Liverpool.

Suarez joined the club in January 2011 and is widely regarded as one of the most talented players in world football. This season alone, Suarez has scored 17 goals in 11 Barclays Premier League starts.

"I am delighted to have agreed a new deal with Liverpool and have my future secured for the long term," said Suarez.

"We have some great players and the team is growing and improving all the time. I believe I can achieve the ambitions of winning trophies and playing at the very highest level with Liverpool. My aim is to help get us there as quickly as possible.

"Without doubt the backing I have received from the Liverpool fans has influenced my decision. I am so proud to represent them and go out to do my best for them every time I pull on the shirt.

"We have a special relationship; they have love for me and in return I love them back. I will always do my best for them and hopefully we can achieve success together."

Liverpool manager, Brendan Rodgers, said the news will give everyone a lift: "This is fantastic news for everyone associated with the club; the team, the owners and most importantly the supporters.

"Luis is a world-class talent and securing his services is crucial for what we are trying to achieve here.

"What's most important and most exciting is that, at just 26 years old, his best years are still ahead of him and we now know we'll be seeing him reach that potential in a Liverpool shirt."

Principal owner, John W Henry, believes it shows the progress being made on and off the field: "We are committed to working hard to keep our best players and this is an indication that we are moving in the right direction and moving at a pace that impresses one of the best players in world football.

"The club has made major strides forward in recent years and we are all committed to delivering the success our supporters want and deserve."

Liverpool chairman, Tom Werner, said: "This demonstrates our commitment, as an ownership group, to building a team that competes at the highest level both in the Barclays Premier League and in Europe.

"Our primary motive is to do what is best for Liverpool Football Club and today's news is another significant step forward on this journey." 
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #80: Dec 20, 2013 01:56:33 pm
      Fantastic news can't believe it's over so quick.

Suddenly feel all festive. 

:D
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #81: Dec 20, 2013 01:57:32 pm
      Perfect timing aswell, considering the form he is in. Buzzing!
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #82: Dec 20, 2013 01:57:44 pm
      Initially delighted obs, wonder if there is release clauses? Sorry for bringing in the downer so soon.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #83: Dec 20, 2013 02:00:00 pm
      Principal owner, John W Henry, believes it shows the progress being made on and off the field: "We are committed to working hard to keep our best players and this is an indication that we are moving in the right direction and moving at a pace that impresses one of the best players in world football."
      Praise where it's due - this is something a lot of us have been asking for.  :nod:

can't believe it's over so quick.
      I'm not. Contracts need not take too long... if we give the player what he's 'due'. It would have taken longer if we'd have kibbled and fu**ed about haggling. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #84: Dec 20, 2013 02:05:01 pm
      Woooooo! Delighted.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #85: Dec 20, 2013 02:05:41 pm
      Principal owner, John W Henry, believes it shows the progress being made on and off the field: "We are committed to working hard to keep our best players and this is an indication that we are moving in the right direction and moving at a pace that impresses one of the best players in world football."
      Praise where it's due - this is something a lot of us have been asking for.  :nod:
      I'm not. Contracts need not take too long... if we give the player what he's 'due'. It would have taken longer if we'd have kibbled and fu**ed about haggling.

Exactly. I've seen transfer dealings concluded quicker than contract talks with current players. Think it's pretty clear we need Suarez, hence the lack of hesitation.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #86: Dec 20, 2013 02:05:52 pm

Sorry just to chop out this part.
      I think it depends on the player saying "F**k it, just agree the deal." to his agent as well.

What I mean is, it's not just clubs who haggle, and I suspect that many a deal has been fu**ed up by players and/or agents.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #87: Dec 20, 2013 02:09:02 pm
      Ecstatic. Feels like a new signing but signing a world class player. There isn't another player out their that I wouldn't want more. Get in!
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #88: Dec 20, 2013 02:11:32 pm
      Sorry just to chop out this part.
      I think it depends on the player saying "F**k it, just agree the deal." to his agent as well.

What I mean is, it's not just clubs who haggle, and I suspect that many a deal has been fu**ed up by players and/or agents.

I think it's strange that he didn't wait till he saw our transfer business in Jan to see if the clubs ambition matches his own. Either way I'm still extremely happy.
      Redangel

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #89: Dec 20, 2013 02:12:21 pm
      Just heard the news, totally delighted. Best Christmas present any Liverpool fan could ask for.
      4and a half year deal and £ 200,000 a week from next season apparently.
      Well done to all concerned!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #90: Dec 20, 2013 02:12:31 pm
      I think it's strange that he didn't wait till he saw our transfer business in Jan to see if the clubs ambition matches his own. Either way I'm still extremely happy.

Or maybe he's seen the transfer committees list? ;)
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #91: Dec 20, 2013 02:14:21 pm
      Or maybe he's seen the transfer committees list? ;)

You tease :P

Quick Reply