Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

We're coping without them, but has the loss of Gerrard/Sturridge made us better?

Read 8377 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      We're coping without them, but has the loss of Gerrard/Sturridge made us better?
      Dec 21, 2013 08:12:01 pm
       One or two people are kind of asking the question jokingly with the captain "will he get back in the team?". The more we play well without him though, the question will be asked more seriously. Although it hasn't really been touched on as of yet, it's surely only a matter of time before somebody asks whether we have benefitted from being able to return to more authentic 4-3-3 in Sturridge's absence. If we go to Man City and/or Chelsea and get good results, there will out loud rumblings aplenty. So what has happened to us in the absence of two of our best players, do they get back in when fit?

Clearly Henderson in particular has really stepped up to the plate in the absence of Stevie (and made a few of us look like right mugs into the process), but Allen has grasped his opportunity too. Lucas is holding it together behind them better than he was earlier in the season, and the three of them look a decent unit. I think the addition of Allen for Stevie has certainly given us more running power and we are able to press higher and better, I don't think anyone would dispute that either. Another thing which I don't think many would take issue with is that on the evidence of what we're seeing, the midfield has a better balance at the moment than it has for much of the season. If this last few games has shown anything, I think it's been demonstrated  clearly that we look a better team if it includes EITHER Gerrard or Lucas, but not both. On this question, and I know many will disagree, I'd bring Gerrard in as a straight swap for Lucas when he's fit. For me there's no comparison, Gerrard comes in as the sitter. For those who say "but he doesn't have the discipline" I say well he'll have to find it (I actually believe he has anyway) but he certainly doesn't have the legs to play either the Allen or Henderson role, so he must compete with Lucas for the sitter spot.

Up top I think Danny Sturridge probably needs us to get European football even more than Luis Suarez does. By that I mean, at least then he's going to get a game a fair few times as an authentic striker. As it is, we definitely look a better side in my view if we play Brendans favoured 4-3-3, and as such if Danny is going to get a regular start he is going to have to compete with Stirling. Even that won't be easy as Raheem is becoming the player we always thought he would, but much as he doesn't like it Danny is going to have to learn to dovetail with Luis and play a little wider than he'd prefer.

It's a nice problem to have. Ultimately although both Gerrard and Sturridge are very good players, both are IMHO going to have to slightly adopt the way they play in order to not only get in the team, but also to be of maximum benefit to it when they do play.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: We're coping without them, but has the loss of Gerrard/Sturridge made us better?
      Reply #1: Dec 21, 2013 08:37:35 pm
      I can't see  how Rodgers can change the present setup when Gerrard and Sturridge come back , they'll genuinely have to earn it .

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: We're coping without them, but has the loss of Gerrard/Sturridge made us better?
      Reply #2: Dec 21, 2013 08:41:30 pm
      I can't see  how Rodgers can change the present setup when Gerrard and Sturridge come back , they'll genuinely have to earn it .

That's how it should be.

A lot depends on the next couple of games.

No doubt both Gerrard and Sturridge give us something different, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #3: Dec 21, 2013 08:44:47 pm
      Agree with Swab.

Yes we are better without them but no need to change the current set up when we are doing so well because Stevie is the captain and Sturridge is another one of our in from strikers.

They will have to earn a place in the side like what every club and player should do, it's a team game not a 1 man one. They need to prove to BR that they are hungry and get back in the first team ASAP.
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #4: Dec 21, 2013 08:46:24 pm
      This will give stevie a much needed rest either way and want to see him fighting again. Suarez bangs a few in bring on Sturridge. simples :)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5: Dec 21, 2013 08:49:49 pm
      I remember KK giving an interview not too long after he took over as player/manager and had been out for a while injured.
      The interviewer asked when he would be back and KK said "I wouldnae get into this team at the moment. I've a long way tae go before that happens".

I'm sure we all know there was a bit of hyperbole in what he said, but the underlying point remained the same: KK didn't believe he had a right to be in the team, he knew he had to be in there on merit or not at all.

The same goes for Stevie and Sturridge.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #6: Dec 21, 2013 08:51:02 pm
      That's how it should be.

A lot depends on the next couple of games.

No doubt both Gerrard and Sturridge give us something different, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.
      If we beat or draw with city then surely that will be our strongest team .
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #7: Dec 21, 2013 08:52:44 pm
      If we beat or draw with city then surely that will be our strongest team .

I think form and fitness have to be a consideration as well.

If someone goes off the boil there's no reason why either Gerrard or Sturridge shouldn't be given a chance.
      After that it's up to them to take their chance and keep someone else out of the team.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #8: Dec 21, 2013 09:05:38 pm
      Lets just be calm and be happy that our fringe players are stepping up and doing well. Its all about the squad. Every single player in our squad is important. We have waited a long time to have a really good squad of players.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #9: Dec 21, 2013 09:30:00 pm
      At least Rodgers now has a plan b for those who critisize ;D
      Young lads are getting a chance to show what they are made of and at the moment everything is going very well but for me Sturridge should get his spot back because he is a game changer and has a lot of confidence.
      Sterling is fast and tricky but he still needs to work on his final touch.
      After these performances I have no doubt in my mind he will be excelent for us but there's still plenty of time for him.
      however i think Gerrard will be rotated so others can get their chance in midfield esspecially because there's a big chance we'll sign another midfielder in january.
      He'll have no problem with that I think because he wants succes for the team.
      Just cant decide if we have much more energy with or without Gerrard.
      Maybe our second halves were bad because Gerrard couldnt deal with higher pace or it was due to Coutinho being injured.
      Time will show and once he gets back we' ll see how it goes.
      Captain is getting old and that's for sure and if he'll be sitting on the bench I will be sad and i just can't imagine this because he's our captain and my favourite player and a reason I started supporting Liverpool.
      Just want him to win the league because of all the loyalty he showed and the person that he is.
      At the end it all boils down to Rodgers and his decision.
      He has the best insight to the form of the players and will decide the best.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #10: Dec 21, 2013 10:08:46 pm
      I said it before that the triangle with two further forward and one holding works better than two holding and one in front. I think only Stevie or Lucas could hold, and Lucas is better at it. I also think both Lucas or Stevie could play further forward. At the moment you would be stripping Suarez of the captaincy
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #11: Dec 21, 2013 10:15:32 pm
      I said it before that the triangle with two further forward and one holding works better than two holding and one in front. I think only Stevie or Lucas could hold, and Lucas is better at it. I also think both Lucas or Stevie could play further forward. At the moment you would be stripping Suarez of the captaincy
      Lucas has lost sharpness on the ball whereas Gerrard picks a better pass .Either way Rodgers has some tough decisions to make when the skipper comes back .
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: Dec 21, 2013 10:36:01 pm
      Lucas has lost sharpness on the ball whereas Gerrard picks a better pass .Either way Rodgers has some tough decisions to make when the skipper comes back .
      It will be interesting to see how BR handles it
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13: Dec 21, 2013 10:56:57 pm
      Balance is they key.

Finding that balance is going to be tough for BR and I suspect he'll have some tough decisions to make.

That's what he gets paid for though.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Dec 21, 2013 10:58:27 pm
      One thing I'm glad Flanagan got a run. It's better to have scousers where possible
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #15: Dec 21, 2013 11:06:12 pm
      Great OP Mick and kind of goes back to our debate earlier in the season in regards to the Lucas/Gerrard 'problem'.

You seen it purely as Lucas holding us back, myself and others thought Gerrard was as much to blame but in reality it was as much the way both player's were being used and the blend in midfield that was really the problem.

Its definitely one or the other for me, and you by the sounds of it, and I'm not to bothered who the boss goes with and would actually be keen to see if Stevie can be a disciplined as Lucas in the role and if his influence can make us even better although if we maintain this form Lucas does deserve the chance to keep the skipper out of the side.

I also think the 4 3 3 suits us very well and Danny might find it tough to get back I the side as we look a lot more fluid up front but what a problem to have for Brendan.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6968 
      Reply #16: Dec 21, 2013 11:11:46 pm
      I don't think Gerrard should be playing every game as I don't think he is up to it, but I certainly would rather have him available than not.  Same for Sturridge - think he's a cracking goalscorer and let's not forget we were top after 4 games thanks to his efforts.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #17: Dec 21, 2013 11:11:48 pm
      Suarez is looking every bit as good a skipper as Gerrard at the moment .
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,459 posts | 2852 
      Reply #18: Dec 21, 2013 11:15:03 pm
      Think we missed Gerrard a bit today, especially at the start. Henderson was great but he didn't quite set the tempo of a game like Gerrard does so well at home. Gerrard for Allen and we genuinely could have had 7 or 8 IMO.

Sturridge is an interesting one as I think Luis plays better without him and I'd be really reluctant to mess with anything up top considering Luis' form.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #19: Dec 21, 2013 11:20:15 pm
      I thought we were good with Suarez being flanked by Sterling and ??? prior to Sturridge signing for us. The question at the time was how to play SAS together at the expense of the rest of the players and their positions. We've reverted back to this with Sturridge out and still look good, arguably better with more work being done in AM positions.

It's a good problem to have.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,472 posts | 4593 
      Reply #20: Dec 21, 2013 11:38:10 pm
      If it ain't broke don't fix it as they say, I think Henderson is thriving without the presence of Gerrard,sometimes playing with such a player could intimidate you.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #21: Dec 21, 2013 11:45:12 pm
      Suarez is looking every bit as good a skipper as Gerrard at the moment .

That's spot on.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #22: Dec 22, 2013 12:02:55 am
      If it ain't broke don't fix it as they say, I think Henderson is thriving without the presence of Gerrard,sometimes playing with such a player could intimidate you.

Certainly seems that way doesn't it? He's clearly enjoying the responsibility of taking the initiative in midfield. His pass to set up Sterlings goal was incredible.

As for Coutinho, he looks better when Sturridge is on the pitch. They compliment each other so well.

Quick Reply