Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Brendan Rodgers: I may not sign anyone

Read 2580 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Brendan Rodgers: I may not sign anyone
      Jan 28, 2014 02:13:11 am
      The Liverpool Manager admits he is preparing for a disappointment in the January transfer window.

He missed out on Salah when Chelsea gazumped their bid to Swiss side Basel

He is looking for an alternative to Salah, but says he (Rodgers) may have to scrap it out for a top four spot with the current squad.

"Of course I wanted to strengthen the team that was already here, and if I couldn't do that it would be disappointing"

"My sole intention would be to maximise everything we have left and I will rinse everything out of the players I have available"

(Premier League News)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

O dear!

O Well. Fingers crossed. Hope we, at least, bring midfielder Saul Niguez from Atletico Madrid. Informal meeting already had with the lad's father.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers: I may not sign anyone
      Reply #1: Jan 28, 2014 03:03:23 am
      Another forum for ranting??

Aren't we already doing that in the other page?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #2: Jan 28, 2014 04:52:09 am
      Another forum for ranting??

Aren't we already doing that in the other page?

Well since this touches on 5 different threads (Brendan Rodgers, FSG, Salah, Saul NiguezTransfer Rumors and Gossip) he's just consolidated it for ease of use. If only he'd been able to slip a Rafa and Kenny reference in there....
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3: Jan 28, 2014 07:33:30 am
      Old news.
      Another joke of a transfer window.

Crying wolf now and dont believe anything said.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #4: Jan 28, 2014 09:36:49 am
      Well since this touches on 5 different threads (Brendan Rodgers, FSG, Salah, Saul NiguezTransfer Rumors and Gossip) he's just consolidated it for ease of use. If only he'd been able to slip a Rafa and Kenny reference in there....

Seriously? It was breaking news yesterday, so I put it up and you decide to have a go at me for quoting our Manager?

Maybe you're hammering way too much.....
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Jan 28, 2014 09:40:03 am
      To be honest if we can get through our injury crisis with no more injuries and maintain our 2 pts per game average then I think we'll get top 4, but its a massive risk were taking if we don't sign any one as this season is probably the best chance we've got of getting Champions League Football and attracting the calibre of players we need to make the next step, the only problem with that is how are we going to about signing the calibre of players we will need if we won't over spend on players and are only offering incentive contracts.

I can see Rodgers reasons for not wanting to stock pile squad players as that will only make his job more difficult in the summer, its first XI players we need and I think we'll all agree on that, but surely to god there has to be one or two players out there would improve our current first XI and are available and ready to make the move.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Jan 28, 2014 09:58:54 am
      It's clear from those comments that Brendan isn't happy with how this window has panned out and he must now be questioning the motives of the board for not backing him.

I posted last week that their (FSG's) plan was to achieve CL within 5 yrs but they never expected it to happen this season.  Now that it's become a possibility earlier they had no contingency in place to help push home that advantage.

It's shockingly bad planning from those above and reinforces the suggestion that they haven't a fu**ing clue how football works. 
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #7: Jan 28, 2014 10:22:56 am
      This may answer a few questions.

Liverpool: Agent Lifts Lid On Failed Transfer

It appears Liverpool took too long in their negotiations for Mohamed Salah which raises concerns over the club's approach to transfers...

Egyptian star Mohamed Salah's recent move to Chelsea followed several months of intense speculation that the Basle forward was Anfield bound.

Indeed many sources, aided by comments from people close to the player, reported a move to Liverpool as being as good as done several weeks ago.

For all intents and purposes, Salah was Liverpool's top January transfer target and the 21-year-old was also thought to be keen on making the switch to Merseyside.

As it transpired nothing materialised and the attacker duly joined Chelsea after the Londoners moved swiftly to replace a Manchester United-bound Juan Mata.

The development has subsequently left several fans and journalists questioning Liverpool's approach to transfers and negotiating.

Salah's agent, Sascha Empacher, has even seemingly accused the club of dithering in their protracted pursuit of his client.

"It was a long and fair negotiation with Liverpool, but it lasted two-and-a-half months - too long," said Empacher.

"Both clubs could not agree on terms. When Chelsea contacted Basel, he was happy and took his chance. It was no financial matter."

Liverpool's transfer dealings are currently handled by a committee of individuals which includes manager Brendan Rodgers and managing director Ian Ayre.

Such a setup raises several question marks, including; how is a value placed upon a target if individuals disagree, who decides how much to bid and when and who has the final say?

Ayre has suggested the decision to go to Chelsea was Salah's but that seems to contradict all other opinion and comment on the matter which points to Liverpool's failure to agree a fee with Basle.

The Blues are believed to have paid around £12million, depending on who you believe, whereas the Merseysiders were offering as little as £8million and haggling over add-ons and incentives.

Commenting on the matter, as he prepared for tonight's crucial Merseyside Derby with Everton, a clearly frustrated Rodgers appeared to lay the blame on those in control of the purse strings.

"We know what the value of the player is and how far we were prepared to go. We won't over-pay," commented the 41-year-old at his pre-match press conference.

When asked why the Reds failed to offer the necessary funds, the 41-year-old replied: "That's for the money guys to say that. It was deemed in this case we couldn't do a deal and Chelsea could.

"It's the construction of the whole deal, not only with the player and the agent but Basel as a football club."

Read more: http://www.liverpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=347262#ixzz2rgflxsMO
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 28, 2014 10:43:21 am
      Brendan quoted on the BBC website as saying he would consider a loan for a quality player. I still have my (metaphorical) money on De Jong.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #9: Jan 28, 2014 12:07:02 pm
      Brendan quoted on the BBC website as saying he would consider a loan for a quality player. I still have my (metaphorical) money on De Jong.

De Jong is Toon bound :-( FFS.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #10: Jan 28, 2014 12:09:15 pm
      whilst Liverpool football club have to rely on loan deals on players who don't want to be here then that's a sorry state of affairs for a club so revered in the football world to be in.
      Brendan may send out a few cryptic messages but I honestly believe he took this job with full knowledge of FSG financial input into the club.
      In this world there are times when you have to decide which side of the line you want to take.
      If Brendan wishes to come over to us rather than stay a corporate man he will find we can be very supportive and persuasive. Whilst still not fully convinced about him I want to see how he can do given the backing our competitors are getting.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #11: Jan 28, 2014 12:12:36 pm

You're talking about different players. Luuk is the one going to Newcastle. We have been linked with Nigel.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #12: Jan 28, 2014 12:44:56 pm

No we're linked to the other De Jong... the sh*t one.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #13: Jan 28, 2014 01:40:33 pm
      It's quite worry that Rodgers' main priority seemed to be in the attacking areas rather then central midfield. We have been lacking in that department for a good few seasons. It just baffles me as to why Salah was the main focal point of this transfer when there are other concerns in the starting line up.

Did we waste out time chasing a target we didn't actually need rather than focus on areas in which we need to improve on?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #14: Jan 28, 2014 01:51:07 pm
      Seriously? It was breaking news yesterday, so I put it up and you decide to have a go at me for quoting our Manager?

Maybe you're hammering way too much.....

So you couldn't have put it in the Brendan Rodgers thread? Or the transfer gossip thread? The same exact thing is being debated in both of those.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #15: Jan 28, 2014 02:24:18 pm
      No we're linked to the other De Jong... the sh*t one.

My bad.  :-[
      But, nothing unusual in being linked to a sh*te one.  :mad:
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #16: Jan 28, 2014 04:43:15 pm
      So you couldn't have put it in the Brendan Rodgers thread? Or the transfer gossip thread? The same exact thing is being debated in both of those.

The Brendan Rodger thread? Order please. I have been on this forum long enough to know that the Manager's thread is actually meant for opinions about the manager, his team decisions and any rant about him, just like the players' threads.

Have you noticed that we no longer have "General Transfer talks" thread anymore? It used to be pinned up there in the transfer section.

It was breaking news and I put it up.

Now you're just annoying.

Quick Reply