Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM v Stoke

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      1 (0.7%)
      Aly Cissokho
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      1 (0.7%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      11 (7.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (0.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      44 (29.3%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Luis Suarez
      76 (50.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      16 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: Jan 17, 2014 06:30:29 pm

Stoke 3-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delightful Relief

Read 40023 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Stoke 3-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delightful Relief
      Reply #667: Jan 12, 2014 08:19:25 pm
      Huge 3 points, huge

5 goals away from home and Sturridge back and with a goal brilliant

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #668: Jan 12, 2014 08:22:02 pm

Brendan reacts to Sturridge goal... he's f**king missed it...no he's not :)

That is what relief looks like... Ha Brilliant reaction to the 2nd goal too!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #669: Jan 12, 2014 08:24:14 pm
      Both sides of the Liverpool team turned up today, at the back we were shocking. But once Sturridge come on we were awesome upfront, Cissoco and Johnson were awfull, keeper is starting to look shakey but up front ...............
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #670: Jan 12, 2014 08:27:13 pm
      Both sides of the Liverpool team turned up today, at the back we were shocking. But once Sturridge come on we were awesome upfront, Cissoco and Johnson were awfull, keeper is starting to look shakey but up front ...............

Wouldn't worry about the keeper, mistakes will always be made, Pepe made them Jerzy made them Brucie made them, but hes good and will save us points between now and May, but the 2 full backs are shocking sh*te

Kelly and Flanno could be the 2 to se us home in those positions.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #671: Jan 12, 2014 08:30:40 pm
      Cissokho was so bad he made Charlie Adam look a world beater!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #672: Jan 12, 2014 08:31:53 pm
      What a bloody horrible horrible game to watch! First ever win at the Brittania in the Premier League, even Rafa's best teams couldn't manage it so hats off to the gaffer and the lads. scintilating going forward but I wish we were better at protecting a lead, we simply don't know how to bloody do it do we! There's deffo a touch of the Keegan's about us and I'd love us to shut up shop and bore out the rest of the game Chelsea style every once in a while. Great to be back in the top 4 after all our rivals won this weekend and put the pressure on. It was a funny game because we were 2-0 up without really doing anything and it looked like a walk in the park but it was anything but. You have to admit that as far as the neutrals go, we must be the best side in the league to watch, the commentators spend the whole game (no matter who we play) talking about the great entertainment value and about what a great game it is etc
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #673: Jan 12, 2014 08:41:02 pm
      Another two goals for Suarez, another for Sturridge, loving this! ;D

Did anyone dig up the "last team to score 5 away to Stoke" stat yet?

03.05.98 Stoke City 2 - 5 Man City

even Rafa's best teams couldn't manage it

He only had 2 attempts at the Brittania and he never lost to them as Liverpool manager, unlike Rodgers.  ;)

Not a bad performance from any player, no great performance either.  Lots of individual errors.

Stoked with the 3 points.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #674: Jan 12, 2014 08:47:42 pm

Brendan reacts to Sturridge goal... he's f**king missed it...no he's not :)

Haha exactly what I was like. I genuinely thought he had put it in at first. Amazing goal.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #675: Jan 12, 2014 08:50:18 pm
      It was nice to see the affection between Luis and Sturridge today, in the past I've always wondered how well they get on given the looks they fire each others way every time one of them takes a shot and the other is better placed. But you could see today the happiness on Luis's face when Suarez came on and made the first goal and then the favour was returned. Be interesting to see if we revert to two up top again. Personally I hope we don't but let's see.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #676: Jan 12, 2014 08:50:47 pm
      Sturridge seems to give an extra dimension, going forward, good to see him back and scoring a goal.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #677: Jan 12, 2014 08:51:09 pm
      I think central defence is the least of our worries. The full backs and the two midfielders ahead of the centre backs is the biggest worry.

At least 4 players were poor defensively today - Gerrard and Lucas in midfield, and the full backs (again). The centre backs and the goalkeeper are bound to make more mistakes if they are constantly called upon like they were today.

I think it's time we replaced Lucas. He's nothing but a liability these days and can't be called upon to do his job.
      rossyred

• 9,317 posts | 1672 
      Reply #678: Jan 12, 2014 08:54:01 pm
      johnson contract issues clearly affecting his game and needs benching sharpish , sakho needs to be the focal point and build back four round him
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #679: Jan 12, 2014 09:02:37 pm
      It was nice to see the affection between Luis and Sturridge today, in the past I've always wondered how well they get on given the looks they fire each others way every time one of them takes a shot and the other is better placed. But you could see today the happiness on Luis's face when Sturridge came on and made the first goal and then the favour was returned. Be interesting to see if we revert to two up top again. Personally I hope we don't but let's see.

I think Brendan will have a harder decision to make .... who plays upfront with Suarez and Sturridge... Sterling or Coutinho. Before the last few games I would have said Coutinho without a doubt, now I am not so sure.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #680: Jan 12, 2014 09:12:42 pm
      I think Brendan will have a harder decision to make .... who plays upfront with Suarez and Sturridge... Sterling or Coutinho. Before the last few games I would have said Coutinho without a doubt, now I am not so sure.

Agree mate, be hard to leave out young Raheem the way he has been playing. I wonder if we will see a midfield of Gerrard, Henderson and Coutinho and a front free of Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge from left to right. That's how I would go rather than a an out an out front two, especially away from home.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #681: Jan 12, 2014 09:17:35 pm
      Agree mate, be hard to leave out young Raheem the way he has been playing. I wonder if we will see a midfield of Gerrard, Henderson and Coutinho and a front free of Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge from left to right. That's how I would go rather than a an out an out front two, especially away from home.

Me too Scott. As Gerrard demonstrated a few times today, his extra athleticism in the holders role will in time free us up midfield wise and allow us to play a Coutinho type pulling the strings. A good example of that was when we had a corner, Gerrard took it but when it was cleared and they broke, it was Stevie on the edge of our six yard box clearing it. He's the only player we have who is capable of that type of tackle, as he also is the only player we have who can hunt full backs out wide and prevent crosses as he did a few times today. With him and Henderson, we ought to be able to wedge Coutinho in.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #682: Jan 12, 2014 09:18:40 pm

Coutinho should drop a little deeper and Sterling should play in a more advanced role.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #683: Jan 12, 2014 09:21:05 pm

Me too Scott. As Gerrard demonstrated a few times today, his extra athleticism in the holders role will in time free us up midfield wise and allow us to play a Coutinho type pulling the strings. A good example of that was when we had a corner, Gerrard took it but when it was cleared and they broke, it was Stevie on the edge of our six yard box clearing it. He's the only player we have who is capable of that type of tackle, as he also is the only player we have who can hunt full backs out wide and prevent crosses as he did a few times today. With him and Henderson, we ought to be able to wedge Coutinho in.

I really doubt it myself mate.

I can't see Brendan leaving M'vila and Fabregas on the bench after they sign. :)
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #684: Jan 12, 2014 09:31:29 pm
      Was a relief, bloody tough game, Glad to see sturridge is back SAS!!! Assisted & Goal for each other, our defense was Shocking got to say we need that sorting asap and Will MIG improve! Ynwa  ;D

Coutinho Will start scoring eventually  :lmao:
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #685: Jan 12, 2014 09:31:41 pm
      I really doubt it myself mate.

I can't see Brendan leaving M'vila and Fabregas on the bench after they sign. :)

Haha love it! Although M'Villa wouldn't be so unrealistic
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #686: Jan 12, 2014 09:36:15 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #687: Jan 12, 2014 09:38:26 pm

I thought Glen and Aly were piss poor myself  :lmao:
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #688: Jan 12, 2014 09:38:29 pm
      Was a relief, bloody tough game, Glad to see sturridge is back SAS!!! Assisted & Goal for each other, our defense was Shocking got to say we need that sorting asap and Will MIG improve! Ynwa  ;D

It isn't just about the way we defend as a back four, there's more to it than that. I think we are quite naive. In the way we play at times when we've got a lead. We don't seem to realise that there are times In the game when you have play boring. I don't mean Banks of four and hoofing it but some of the runs our players were making and the subsequent passes their teammates tried to find them with simply played into their hands at times. There are times when we should retain rather than risk possession and our lads should be a bit more mindful of the overall shape of the team both with and without the ball. There was a stage in the game today, I think it was around the 70 minute mark, we were ahead and they were simply backing off as we attacked, all we had to do was slow down, keep the ball, slow the tempo, force them to come out a little but instead we forced it lost the ball, got turned around and they hit us quickly on the counter attacking the space that we needn't have left behind. This happens a bit too often for my liking, it makes for great viewing but it's no good for the ticker.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #689: Jan 12, 2014 10:00:20 pm

He only had 2 attempts at the Brittania and he never lost to them as Liverpool manager, unlike Rodgers.  ;)

He had 4 attempts to defeat stoke in total and never did

2 out of 4 for Brendan ;-)

Quick Reply