Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Liverpool V Aston Villa - January 18th at 17:30

Read 12735 times
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Re: Liverpool Vs Aston Villa; January 18th at 17;30
      Reply #23: Jan 14, 2014 04:16:00 pm
      Mignolet

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Sakho
      Cissokho

Gerrard
      Henderson

Coutinho
      Sterling

Suarez
      Sturridge

Batter them in the first half, and bring on Lucas for Coutinho to shut up shop, then get Studge off for Aspas.

We'll need to be wary of Benteke's strength and Agbonlahor's pace on the counter. Delph can also dribble out of some tight spaces and launch counters, so Henderson will need to keep an eye on him. Not worried about anyone else on their team, really.

They are a better road team than they are a home team, but we've been fantastic at home against lesser opposition. Let's keep that up.

4-1 to the Reds.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #24: Jan 14, 2014 04:19:54 pm
      Sterling at right back? You being serious?! He struggled like f**k in the more advanced alternative role of right wing back a few weeks/months ago. Where have you got the idea of dropping Mignolet from? Please tell me you're on a wind up mission!

I remember that game Sterling grew into after horrible 20 or so minutes. But he played there later on vs Oldham and did very well. Don't fancy Johnson against Agbonlahor and this counter-attacking Villa team, actually I don't fancy Glen against anyone atm.

Jones had a great game vs Oldham and looked much more confident under a high ball than Simon. And Villa will probably have Benteke and Holt up top so a few crosses are expected. Based on these last few games, I don't think it's so crazy to think a more confident 'keeper should be in goal.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #25: Jan 14, 2014 04:27:48 pm
      Could we not play Henderson as the DM, he has a good engine on him, can make a good pass but doesn't offer much in terms of shooting

Problem with Henderson is he isn't quite as keen on tackling as either Gerrard or Lucas, plus he is doing very well were he is, can't see the point in forcing him to start over in a new position.

Simplest solution is to buy a top defensive midfielder and then let Lucas, Gerrard, Allen and Henderson compete for the other two starting berths.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,990 posts | 3062 
      Reply #26: Jan 14, 2014 04:32:54 pm
      I've gone 3-0 but whilst I'm confident we'll win clearly the defence needs to get their act together.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #27: Jan 14, 2014 04:35:25 pm
      Problem with Henderson is he isn't quite as keen on tackling as either Gerrard or Lucas, plus he is doing very well were he is, can't see the point in forcing him to start over in a new position.

Simplest solution is to buy a top defensive midfielder and then let Lucas, Gerrard, Allen and Henderson compete for the other two starting berths.

oh yes I 100% agree that we need a better DM Saint, was just thinking we need someone with more pace at DM until we do, but forget about the poor tackling.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #28: Jan 14, 2014 06:15:37 pm
      It's my bday on Saturday, so I'm hoping for a big win as my present :)

Looking for a SAS inspired victory with Suarez banging in a hat trick!!  Would also be great if Coutinho could bag a goal and get the monkey off his back.  He is such a talented player, but he seems to be trying to hard at the moment and that is taking away from his natural game. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #29: Jan 14, 2014 07:12:02 pm
      Biggest game of the season

We must ignore there form and take this game with an attitude of a derby, the crowd as well. If we take this lightly we will be left embarrassed if we approach with the right attitude we get 3 points simple as that

Would love a clean sheet I must say
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #30: Jan 15, 2014 01:07:13 pm
      Ideal opponent for Rodgers to try and accomodate Sturridge. I can see Sterling playing at right back, with Johnson switching to the left. Sakho back in place of Toure. Same midfield three of Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson, although I'd consider Alberto to start if he was in rotation recently. Coutinho's finishing been abysmal this year but he is still very important to us esp. at Anfield so he should not be dropped imo. Despite our opponents finding more about Mignolet's short-comings with every passing game, and Jones's brilliant display vs Oldham I don't think it'd do Simon any good being dropped at this stage. Expect another goal-fest, and if Brendan starts with the same 'keeper and back-four like against Stoke then I fear we'd need to score 3 or more goals again to get much needed three points. 4:2 to LFC.

Mignolet

Skrtel                   Sakho
                              Gerrard
                                                         Johnson
      Sterling
                                   Lucas
                  Hendo
                                            Coutinho

Suarez   Sturridge

I don't know what the f**k that team is supposed to be, but luckily for everyone there's zero chance of seeing it.

And who would take Mignolet's place anyway? Brad F***ing Jones? Hahahaha
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31: Jan 15, 2014 05:03:59 pm

top 3 will all draw & we beat all three!  ;D

Caroline Wozniacki was the interesting bit.

I could have easily used the "Her Wearing The Stevie G no 8 Shirt" photo  but I thought a change would be unbiased.
       ;D
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #32: Jan 15, 2014 05:15:26 pm
      Think we'll do these 6-1.

I'd go:

Mignolet

Kelly
      Sakho
      Agger
      Johnson

Gerrard
      Lucas
      Henderson

Sterling
      Suarez
      Sturridge
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #33: Jan 15, 2014 10:17:18 pm
      Already looking forward to this. Isn't it a great feeling being good again eh?

The 1-3 game last season was an odd one. It was by no means a fluke. Suarez had two or three very good chances prior to their goal, had he taken one of them then of course the game would have gone a lot differently but he didn't and, once Aston Villa went ahead, we never really looked like getting back in to the game. Their second goal was sublime, a seriously well-executed counter-attack. But since that game (December 2012) our home record has been fabulous; just two defeats at Anfield I believe.

I think a lot of players who started for us that day will be in the team again; Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Gerrard, Sterling and Suarez are either certs or have a good chance of doing so. The latter two started 2012/13 very well but I think it was around that time that Sterling was dropping off due to fatigue or whatnot, while Suarez was playing well but not this well. Now, those two are in scintillating form. Sakho should come back in, and as much as I love Agger I'd say Mama is better equipped to deal with their attacking threats. Cissokho, poor as he has been for us, is surely a better left-back than Stewart Downing, who played there that day. Henderson will of course play, probably in the place of Allen; like Sterling, I think Allen was struggling a bit at that point after a terrific start to the season. Hendo, meanwhile, is in the form of his life at the moment. Then it's quite likely going to be a choice of two players for one of the attacking roles alongside Suarez and Sterling (I think he'll start, it would be harsh to drop him on recent form unless you've got Messi or Ronaldo waiting in the wings). I think it goes without saying that whichever player Rodgers opts to start between Sturridge and Coutinho is going to be an upgrade on our (former) Jonjo, who played out of position on the left wing that day I believe. So yeah, we're a lot better now than we were then, certainly in attack, not only in personnel but clearly in mentality too. We never looked like coming back that day. When we recently fell behind at Manchester City and Chelsea, we were always in the game. Against Stoke on Sunday after throwing away a 0-2 lead I still expected us to come through with three points. Last season we wouldn't have done.

As for Villa, well they are practically the same as they were last season when they came here - ludicrously inconsistent, seemingly able to pick up unbelievable results both for (wins against Arsenal, Man City and Southampton come to mind) and against (defeat at home to Crystal Palace is cause for concern for any Premier League club, with all due respect to the Eagles). I think they have actually got worse as a team when it comes to ball retention despite their young players being a year older. Their recent possession counts are quite awful in truth. They only managed 35% of the ball against Sunderland on New Year's Day. Yeah, they won, but that is still embarrassing even for a self-proclaimed counter-attacking team, considering who they were up against. They crossed the ball a lot against Arsenal on Monday. Lowton has a good whip on him so it's important he's denied the chance to use it too often. That was their only real service throughout bar the odd shot from distance.

Their summer transfers haven't really paid off yet. Okore got an injury a few games in so can't be judged, but Luna looks just as bad as his predecessor at left-back (Bennett), Tonev is an utter donkey and that Kozak, until his injury at least, looked pony. Delph has improved a lot from what I've seen but Benteke appears to be out of form. Whether that goal against Arsenal last night triggers a return to form, who knows, but I'd fancy Sakho to do a job on him.

Just having a think back to their wins against some big clubs this season... the opening day 1-3 at Arsenal was a brilliant result for them, fair play. Obviously it was the opening day, Arsenal were in disarray and Villa were given two penalties to aid them, as well as a red card to Koscielny, but it was a great result nonetheless. Their big wins though were almost completely down to luck and being clinical while their opponents were profligacy personified. They beat City 3-2 at Villa Park, on another day it would have ended 0-4. Their 2-3 win at Southampton was absolutely unreal, Saints battered them for 90 minutes, dominated possession but Villa took each and every one of their chances/half-chances. Fantastic results those three, but nothing like their well-executed 1-3 at Anfield last season. Oh, and they were beaten 0-3 by a van Persie-less Manchester United. NO ONE loses 0-3 to those lot in the league thesedays.

I used to quite like Villa as a club and still do but I remember going in to their Villa Talk forum prior to our game at their place in August and they were outrageously deluded. Some of them thought with their team that was top four/six was achievable. One guy even proclaimed that they had nothing to worry about with the visit of us as, on paper, their team was apparently superior to ours. Another quipped that Benteke is, was and always would be better than the 'ridiculously average' Daniel Sturridge. I haven't been back since.

I know we've beaten them twice at VP since the 1-3 (last time I'll mention it, promise) but you can bet that BR will be determined to put right last season's shocker. He and Lambert's career paths were somewhat similar, both gaining promotion in the same year with Swansea and Norwich respectively and then establishing both sides in their first year in the top flight with consummate ease. The difference was then that Rodgers took on the Liverpool job while Lambert had to settle for Villa. No doubt some healthy competition between the two lingers. I should actually confess here that I really rated Lambert in the summer of 2012 and would have happily seen him take our reigns. Well I still do rate him to an extent, but we definitely got the right man.

Mentioned earlier in the post that Sterling is probably a definite to start simply due to his form. I wonder what position that will be in though. Chances are he'll remain on the right flank but could that be in a 4-2-2-2 - are we able to be reliant enough on our defence and midfield to get SASASACoutinho on the pitch together from the beginning? Probably not, as enjoyable as that would be. How about Rodgers converting back to a 3-5-2 with the other half of SAS back and a difficult in picking between Coutinho/Sterling? Raheem at right-wing-back in the place of the below-par Johnson (who could even switch to the left) would allow Coutinho to play off SAS. I think Villa may opt for 3-5-2 if Baker's fit, so it would be interesting if we went with similar.

I've blagged on here because I'm bored as F**k but not in the least bit tired. I'll end it with a fair prediction:

Liverpool 5-1 Aston Villa
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #34: Jan 15, 2014 10:38:51 pm
      Predicted line up

Mig

Johnson             Skertl             Toure             Cissokho

Lucas Gerrard

Suarez              Coutinho           Sterling

Sturridge

That is what I think we will go with, not what I want, but it will win the game easy and exert the least energy.

I'd prefer,

Mig

Kelly                 Skertl               Toure                 Johnson

Gerrard

Lucas             Hendo

Suarez                                  Coutinho
                                          Sturridge

We have to push up though and Skertl seems to resist this but we don't have Sakho or Agger back.

DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #35: Jan 16, 2014 05:13:18 am
      Predicted line up

Mig

Johnson             Skertl             Toure             Cissokho

Lucas Gerrard

Suarez              Coutinho           Sterling

Sturridge

That is what I think we will go with, not what I want, but it will win the game easy and exert the least energy.

I'd prefer,

Mig

Kelly                 Skertl               Toure                 Johnson

Gerrard

Lucas             Hendo

Suarez                                  Coutinho
                                          Sturridge

We have to push up though and Skertl seems to resist this but we don't have Sakho or Agger back.

i pray that it wont be the predicted lineup.  we need hendo in the midfield.  one of lucas / gerrard (so prob lucas) will sit or BR will go for a back 3.  hendo and even sterling is playing too well to drop.  sterling, cou, sturridge, suarez.. those four up front should cause troubles for any defense

lets go for the 3 pts lads.  and lets win this comfortably please... your fans cant take too much more rollercoaster rides.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #36: Jan 16, 2014 06:36:57 am
      With Studge back and Sterling promising, I fancy a typical Christmas tree 4-3-2-1 formation

Mig

Johnson  Skrtel  Sakho  Cissokho

Hendo    Stevie   Coutinho

Sterling     Suarez

Sturridge

Get the goals and throw in Toure for Coutinho/Sterling to shore up!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Re: Liverpool V Aston Villa - January 18th at 17:30
      Reply #37: Jan 16, 2014 10:48:35 am
      If Sakho and Allen are fit to start I would like to see this team.

Mig

Johnson  Skrtel  Sakho  Cissokho

Stevie     

Hendo             Allen

Coutinho

Sturridge     Suarez

Rohan
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts |
      Reply #38: Jan 16, 2014 10:58:23 am
      My mind just can't comprehend Lucas higher up the field then Gerrard

Hopefully this is just a short term thing, but I think not
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #39: Jan 16, 2014 11:53:23 am
      My mind just can't comprehend Lucas higher up the field then Gerrard

Hopefully this is just a short term thing, but I think not

It's totally insane and it can't continue. Because it would mean Rodgers is, by extension, also totally insane
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #40: Jan 16, 2014 11:54:40 am
      Personally I think, if we are to persist with Gerrard in the holding midfield role, it won't be Lucas that lines up in one of the advanced positions in midfield, it will be Allen. He's better equipped for that job in the two with Henderson; our best two big game performances this season, away at Tottenham and Manchester City came with Allen and Henderson in those two central positions just ahead of the defensive mid (Lucas).

Mind you, we're still being linked with midfielders. If M'Vila was to come in then I'd imagine he will play in the anchor role behind any two of Gerrard/Henderson/Allen, with Lucas as backup.
      Rohan
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts |
      Reply #41: Jan 16, 2014 12:04:08 pm
      Personally I think, if we are to persist with Gerrard in the holding midfield role, it won't be Lucas that lines up in one of the advanced positions in midfield, it will be Allen. He's better equipped for that job in the two with Henderson; our best two big game performances this season, away at Tottenham and Manchester City came with Allen and Henderson in those two central positions just ahead of the defensive mid (Lucas).

Mind you, we're still being linked with midfielders. If M'Vila was to come in then I'd imagine he will play in the anchor role behind any two of Gerrard/Henderson/Allen, with Lucas as backup.

I really hope we do sign a DM as you said, I feel if Lucas goes back to his really old position of a more advanced role it would be the end of him. Hopefully he plays the same role in the squad. He is the type of player that will be vital when (You have to be confident haha) we get CL back, because of the increase in games.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #42: Jan 16, 2014 12:27:02 pm
      Being a believer that a player like Lucas doesn't need to play every home game against teams like Villa, I would opt for Gerrard in there in DM. Not sure what the prognosis is on Allen but he'd play alongside Hendo for me, I'd never start a game with 2 midfielders, that's suicide and Rodgers has done this already, away to Southampton last season - and we were fvcking mauled from the off.

Mignolet

Kelly          Skertel        Toure        Johnson

Gerrard

Allen              Henderson

Sterling      Sturridge  Suarez
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #43: Jan 16, 2014 12:46:16 pm
      6-0 to Liverpool, Suarez x3, Sturridge x2, Sterling x1. Villa to get a red card, Benteke does his hammy, depending on the other teams results the redmen go climbing up the table. Villa are sh*t, so is Paul Lambert, Birmingham is a shithole, sh*t accents.

We will hammer these fuckers and I mean hammer them. I want to be able to come on here at the final whistle and laugh at them to rub it in even more hahaha!

You heard it on this post, get all your asses down the bookies and put a 6-0 bet on with Suarez first goal scorer, it'll be a 6-0 hammering. I am Paul the octopus.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #44: Jan 16, 2014 05:26:59 pm
      Looks like Sakho and Allen have been passed fit although not sure they will both start coming back from injury. With the aerial threat of Benteke I would be tempted to start Sakho alongside Skrtel.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #45: Jan 16, 2014 09:24:15 pm
      6-0 to Liverpool, Suarez x3, Sturridge x2, Sterling x1. Villa to get a red card, Benteke does his hammy, depending on the other teams results the redmen go climbing up the table. Villa are sh*t, so is Paul Lambert, Birmingham is a shithole, sh*t accents.

We will hammer these fuckers and I mean hammer them. I want to be able to come on here at the final whistle and laugh at them to rub it in even more hahaha!

You heard it on this post, get all your asses down the bookies and put a 6-0 bet on with Suarez first goal scorer, it'll be a 6-0 hammering. I am Paul the octopus.

sh*t I was going to go 8-0 but since you are so confident, I might have a crack at that scoreline. Love the positivity.

Quick Reply