Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Brendan Rodgers transfer market dealings, good or bad?

Read 11814 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: Brendan Rodgers transfer market dealings, good or bad?
      Reply #23: Jan 23, 2014 09:59:13 pm
      Pity you didn't watch the first 85 minutes he was one of the best players on the pitch.

90 - 25?  Nvm last night, or commentators who think running around a lot means yer good. I've seen enough of him over plenty of matches, and for me he's not top4 quality. 2 PL goals in 17 league appearances for Sunderland, 3 in 30 for both them and us ?!?!  He does seem to divide opinion moreso than most on the list, but his goals record speaks for itself - I dont see why we spent 15mill or whatever on him.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #24: Jan 23, 2014 10:42:39 pm
      Fabio Borini  Roma  £10,400,000  13 July 2012   - 2 Goals for Sunderland in the Premiership so far. Squad player at best

Joe Allen  Swansea  £15,000,000  10 August 2012   - Good player, cost way too much though.

Oussama Assaidi  Heerenveen  £2,400,000  17 August 2012  - 3 Goals for Stoke so far in the Premiership. This player has potential as a left winger.

Nuri Sahin  Real Madrid  Loan  25 August 2012  - Gone

Daniel Sturridge  Chelsea  £12,000,000  2 January 2013  - Top Notch

Philippe Coutinho  Inter Milan  £8,600,000  30 January 2013  - Good player. Needs to work on goal scoring.

Luis Alberto  Sevilla  £6,800,000  22 June 2013  - LFC Future

Iago Aspas  Celta Vigo  £7,500,000  23 June 2013 - I'm not sure about Aspas. No spark.

Simon Mignolet  Sunderland  £10,000,000  25 June 2013  - He's good enough.

Kolo Toure  Man City  Free  2 July 2013  - Good

Aly Cissokho  Valencia  Loan  20 August 2013  - A sad one, he tries, but lack imagination with what to do with the ball.

Tiago Ilori  Sporting CP  £7,000,000  2 September 2013  - LFC Future

Mamadou Sakho  PSG  £15,000,000  2 September 2013  - Good

Victor Moses  Chelsea  Loan  2 September 2013 - needs to put in more effort
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #25: Jan 23, 2014 10:45:52 pm
      Like every manager ever, without looking at the list, I'm going to say a mixed bag, some successes, some failures and some inbetween, a varying degree of success/failure.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #26: Jan 23, 2014 11:02:05 pm
      Going to do this in two ways because one matters for the future (accounts) and one matters for the now (impact). Impact will be 10 - high impact and 1 will be none. To keep consistency I wont change the values quoted even though some are disputed, I also will assume that all were Brendan's choices:

Fabio Borini  Roma  £10,400,000 
      Value: £7m I would think his value has fallen and only wanted back in Italy by accounts who are notoriously skint.
      Impact: 2

Joe Allen  Swansea  £15,000,000 
      Value: £8m His injuries alone would make his value plummet, along with his inconsistent form.
      Impact: 4

Oussama Assaidi  Heerenveen  £2,400,000 
      Value: £4m He's scored a couple of goals, I suspect we'll get interest from a lower tier club.
      Impact: 1

Nuri Sahin  Real Madrid  Loan 
      Value: £0
      Impact:2 

Samed Yesil  Bayer Leverkusen  £1,000,000 
      Value: £0 at the moment given his injuries   

Daniel Sturridge  Chelsea  £12,000,000 
      Value: £25m Strikers have a premium and Studge has had a good half season, his injuries will still scare people off and he needs to do it over a more consistent basis for this to rise further. 
      Impact: 8

Philippe Coutinho  Inter Milan  £8,600,000 
      Value: £15m His form has fallen a long way recently but he is a talent and the right age, potential to rise massively in the future if he fulfils that potential. 
      Impact: 7

Luis Alberto  Sevilla  £6,800,000 
      Value: £2m he's had no impact at that price and we'd be lucky to recoup anywhere near our outlay.
      Impact: 2

Iago Aspas  Celta Vigo  £7,500,000
      Value: £2m Again he's had no impact and his age/size/goal scoring record mean I think we'd struggle to get rid.
      Impact: 3

Simon Mignolet  Sunderland  £10,000,000
      Value: £10m It's a high price to pay for a keeper already, his shot-stopping is very good but there are many weak areas to his game. Now his form has dropped potential suitors would be even less keen.
      Impact: 5 Early on I think he had a strong impact but that has fallen and I can only measure impact on what we had previously so 5 meaning I don't think we'd have been better or worse off keeping Reina

Kolo Toure  Man City  Free
      Value: £0 At his age he will only move for free.
      Impact: 5 Could have been higher had Brendan kept confidence in him.

Aly Cissokho  Valencia  Loan
      Value: £0 Apparently we wont take up the purchase.
      Impact: 1 Honestly deserves a minus figure.

Tiago Ilori  Sporting CP  £7,000,000
      Value: £2m I don't think the reported fee is correct for this guy and I'm giving him a total guess of a valuation.

Mamadou Sakho  PSG  £15,000,000
      Value: £18m I think he's done well but the injuries will scare anyone, in time could also rise or fall drastically.
      Impact: 6 A shame he's suffered so many injuries or I think he would have had a good run in the side.

Victor Moses  Chelsea  Loan
      Value: £0
      Impact: 3 That's being generous just because of the minutes played.

Overall
      Brendan's Purchase Value: £94.71m
      Current Value: £93m

Impact Ratio:
      15 players, total impact points out of 150 possible 50, therefore average impact per signing of 3.3.
      Number of players having a positive impact (greater than 5) 3
      Number of players having a negative impact (less than 5) 10

So while it is possible to argue that Brendan hasn't wasted money, I believe it is completely obvious that the large majority of his signings have had little or no impact on our fortunes. It's interesting to note that when compared to Everton's fortunes that a few people were at pains to say that Martinez had a better squad to begin with and Brendan had a harder job. If that is actually factual then you'd have to argue that Martinez is doing an even more impressive job than Brendan because his signings are having a greater impact on his better squad than Brendan's are on our weaker squad.

Quite simply he, the transfer committee and FSG must do much better and unfortunately I have no confidence in any of their ability with regards transfers.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #27: Jan 23, 2014 11:03:05 pm
      Sturridge and Coutinho aside (and possibly Sakho, although I think he cost too much) the rest, at present, have not hit the heights.

I'm there to be convinced of course. If you put me on the spot, it's more bad than good as so few have made a positive impact.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #28: Jan 23, 2014 11:19:21 pm
      His transfer dealings have been poor. Lets not pretend otherwise.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #29: Jan 24, 2014 12:56:49 am

Are they his choices though?

He's the most restricted manager in terms of spending we've had over the last decade or so.

While all his signings haven't worked out, it certainly hasn't been made easy for him. And a mixed bag is what you'll likely to end up with.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #30: Jan 24, 2014 01:03:48 am
      I was just about to get ready for bed. Well, I'm gonna stay up for a while now. Don't wanna have a night mare!
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #31: Jan 24, 2014 01:06:48 am
      Are they his choices though?

He's the most restricted manager in terms of spending we've had over the last decade or so.

While all his signings haven't worked out, it certainly hasn't been made easy for him. And a mixed bag is what you'll likely to end up with.

You're right. Most of those lads were never his choices. They just looked great on FM.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #32: Jan 24, 2014 02:39:26 am

Well we can at least be consistent and say that our transfer dealings with Rafa, Roy and Kenny, since 2007, have been appalling. A lot of players have come and gone and proven their utter worthlessness at this club. It stinks of a scouting/transfer system riddled with disease at the club. We may have not been blessed with the financial clout of some of our rivals, but we have not exactly been blessed with the intelligence or strong structures to compensate for the supposed absence of big pounds.
      « Last Edit: Jan 24, 2014 02:52:24 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #33: Jan 24, 2014 03:11:18 am
      I've rambled on about his shocking signings for quite a while and personally I think I am justified. One of the weirdest ones I saw was us spending £3m on a loan deal for Sahin to then barely ever play him and then when he does play he either played behind the striker or in front of the back 4 when neither of them is his main position.

Brendan really needs to get his affairs in order because whether we have a "transfer committee" or not, he will undoubtedly make the final call and him saying that we have improved the squad so will now focus on improving the first team is an absolute farce. Rather than us spend £20 on 4 players - who clearly are nowhere near good enough - I'd rather see us at least attempt to challenge a team for a top quality player which will have more effect on the team than 4 average players. For example: I'm sure Mkhitaryan or Costa would have had a bigger impact on our team and our results than Assaidi, Borini, Ilori and Aspas all have combined. Neither of them have barely played for the club so what the F**k was the point in buying them?! It's buying these Swansea standard players that are going to mean we remain as a 7th place team.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #34: Jan 24, 2014 03:44:31 am

Brendan really needs to get his affairs in order because whether we have a "transfer committee" or not, he will undoubtedly make the final call and him saying that we have improved the squad so will now focus on improving the first team is an absolute farce. Rather than us spend £20 on 4 players - who clearly are nowhere near good enough - I'd rather see us at least attempt to challenge a team for a top quality player which will have more effect on the team than 4 average players. For example: I'm sure Mkhitaryan or Costa would have had a bigger impact on our team and our results than Assaidi, Borini, Ilori and Aspas all have combined. Neither of them have barely played for the club so what the f**k was the point in buying them?! It's buying these Swansea standard players that are going to mean we remain as a 7th place team.

???
      He did attempt for Costa and Mkhitaryan they chose other options
      I understand some of the criticism he's taking but the likes of Moses was probably a last resort when 5 other guys either said no or were unaffordable.

It'd be great to operate in the Citeh/Chelski world of identifying a player and bang he's being paraded but Rodgers doesn't have that luxury.
      He either has to pull a rabbit out the hat or take a shot on guys way down his list of targets
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #35: Jan 24, 2014 04:22:17 am
      I don't think anyone here can blame any particular group for anything. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. It could be multiple things we just do not know. Either it is FSG not opening up their wallets fully or Rodgers. I know most here will point the finger at FSG and I don't blame you my gut tells me it is them too, but we know nothing that is going on behind the scenes. We still have time left in the window, lets wait for it to close and they we can assess how the window went and how we will look the second half of the season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36: Jan 24, 2014 08:17:31 am
      I don't think anyone here can blame any particular group for anything. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. It could be multiple things we just do not know. Either it is FSG not opening up their wallets fully or Rodgers. I know most here will point the finger at FSG and I don't blame you my gut tells me it is them too, but we know nothing that is going on behind the scenes. We still have time left in the window, lets wait for it to close and they we can assess how the window went and how we will look the second half of the season.

FSG opened up their wallets for Comolli and were burnt.
      Burnt bad.

They've opened up their wallets again for a list of average/ sh*te players ... except three.

They have to be underwhelmed by that part of it and wary of the purse strings now.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #37: Jan 24, 2014 09:02:12 am
      Apart from one or three, our signings have been nothing short of horrendous, and it's depressing

What I don't get is the Gaffer telling us there are no players out there for us, that we'll only bid for the right kind of player. Yet Salah, a target of ours is joining Chelsea (fair enough it may come down to fee/wages, but that's too easy an excuse all the time), and Mata, a target for anyone, is going to a team hovering in 6th/7th

So someone or something is wrong somewhere

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #38: Jan 24, 2014 09:06:57 am
      For me the biggest probelm is there doesn't seems to be any real direction to our transfer dealings and we seem to lurch from one failed signing to the next which was evident last summer.

Brendan, or the committee, on the whole have done an alright job in my view with some excellent signings, some decent and with potential and then some terrible ones.

I do find it difficult though to fully blame Brendan for the poor signings as I'm still unsure how much of it is actually his fault as we don't really know if he is getting exactly the player he wants or having to settle for some off a list that mme our criteria.
      « Last Edit: Jan 24, 2014 10:15:03 am by srslfc »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #39: Jan 24, 2014 09:11:39 am
      its a simple solution to buying players.Squad players come from the Academy and players bought have to be at a level to get straight into the team.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #40: Jan 24, 2014 09:29:32 am
      Shall we go through Benitez's failed signings?

Josemi
      Kromkamp
      Dossena
      Pennant
      Morientes
      Pelligrino
      Carson
      Kirkland
      Nunez
      Gonzalez
      Leto
      Babel
      Voronin
      Keane
      Diego
      Aquilani

Millions wasted

manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #41: Jan 24, 2014 09:45:18 am

Josemi
      Kromkamp
      Dossena
      Pennant
      Morientes
      Pelligrino
      Carson
      Kirkland
      Nunez
      Gonzalez
      Leto
      Babel
      Voronin
      Keane
      Diego
      Aquilani

Millions wasted

Christ, that is one horrific list. That said, it's only fair that we give him credit for players like Reina, Torres, Alonso and Masher, who are of a calibre some way above anyone that Rodgers has brought in, with the possible exception of Sturridge
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #42: Jan 24, 2014 09:58:20 am
      Christ, that is one horrific list. That said, it's only fair that we give him credit for players like Reina, Torres, Alonso and Masher, who are of a calibre some way above anyone that Rodgers has brought in, with the possible exception of Sturridge

That's without mentioning Paletta, Bellamy and even Riera in his 2nd season. I thought Benitez made some very poor signings along with some excellent signings.

He brought in Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Mascherano, Alonso, Garcia, Kuyt, and Torres. He improved Carragher and Gerrard also. It helps when you are backed in the transfer market, though.

His stubbornness to pay the extra for Simao and Alves hurt us. Also his unwillingness to sign Sergio Aguero when he was 17 goes to show just how stubborn a manager Benitez was.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #43: Jan 24, 2014 10:02:42 am
      Pretty sure it wasn't Rafa's fault we didn't sign Simao and Alves.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #44: Jan 24, 2014 10:05:49 am

Josemi
      Kromkamp
      Dossena
      Pennant
      Morientes
      Pelligrino
      Carson
      Kirkland
      Nunez
      Gonzalez
      Leto
      Babel
      Voronin
      Keane
      Diego
      Aquilani

Millions wasted

I know you weren't here mate but that [Rafa's flops and successes] and indeed Kenny's flops/successes have been done a few times already. Done to F***ing death tbh.  ;)

This thread however is new.

I'll have a think and reply to the questions posed in the op later.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #45: Jan 24, 2014 10:07:03 am
      Mixed bag for me.

Llori
      Alberto
      Borini
      Yesil
      Assiadi

The above could still could go either way, they are still young enough to turn out to be great players or bang average ones.

Mignolet
      Toure
      Sakho
      Allen
      Coutinho
      Sturridge

Sturridge, Coutinho and Sakho probably the pick of the bunch, Toure and Allen are steady signings, Mignolet could end up being a shrewd buy if he regains his early season form and can maintain it.

Aspas, spent most of his career playing as a central striker and hasn't really had an extended run playing as one not even as a squad player coming from the bench, I'll reserve my judgment.

Sahin and Cissokho, think Sahin is a good player, we just never used him in a manner to get the best out of him, Cissokho has been poor.

Quick Reply