Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Brendan Rodgers transfer market dealings, good or bad?

Read 11697 times
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Re: Brendan Rodgers transfer market dealings, good or bad?
      Reply #69: Jan 24, 2014 03:58:21 pm
      You're scraping the barrel a bit with Lucas, Sissoko, Maxi and Rieira. And scraping about 5 miles into the Earth's crust with f**king Ngog.

And he didn't sign Hamann or Smicer

But the rest were very fine indeed. And in many cases, totally wonderful.

Ngog scored some decent goals.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #70: Jan 24, 2014 04:00:42 pm
      Leave it mate, please :D
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #71: Jan 24, 2014 04:02:08 pm

:lmao: Nah I'm only messin, Riera though scored some belters like the one against Villa.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3368 
      Reply #72: Jan 24, 2014 04:04:07 pm
      And the signings of:
      Smicer
      Hamann

Smicer was a sh*t signing by Houllier. And Hamann was a truly world class signing by Houllier.

Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #73: Jan 24, 2014 04:05:24 pm
      Smicer was a sh*t signing by Houllier. And Hamann was a truly world class signing by Houllier.

Regardless whether you think Smicer was a sh*t signing or not you have got to respect his services to the Champions League and Istanbul. That goal was vital for us.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      Reply #74: Jan 24, 2014 04:11:14 pm
      Regardless whether you think Smicer was a sh*t signing or not you have got to respect his services to the Champions League and Istanbul. That goal was vital for us.
      Yup, that gave him legendary status in my eyes at least
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #75: Jan 24, 2014 04:15:24 pm

There's no way you can call him a legend for one goal, vital or not. It doesn't equal the years of brilliance by players like Dalglish, Barnes or Rush.

Same goes for Dudek; made some vital saves in the final, never a legend. Maybe "cult hero" status or something similar!  :D

Anyway, back on topic!  ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,116 posts | 3368 
      Reply #76: Jan 24, 2014 04:24:55 pm

So what? He was still sh*t.

I like Vladi as a person, he never moaned about being a squad player, always speaks highly of the club and you could see what playing for Liverpool meant to him. But just because he scored in Istanbul (both from open play and a penalty) doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one. The same way Djimi Traore blocking a shot on the line in Istanbul doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one. The same way Igor Biscan's performances against Chelsea in both legs of the semi finals doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one. The same way Jerzy Dudek's heroics in Istanbul doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one.

Nor does the fact that Vladi scored in Istanbul make the point about him being a Houllier signing any less relevant.

Yes Vladi's goal was vital, yes it was a goal that every Kopite around the world cheered and yes it brought tears to my eyes. It still doesn't hide the fact that his Liverpool career, overall, was sh*t from a playing perspective. In terms of medal it was quite good with him winning everything except the League with the club.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      Reply #77: Jan 24, 2014 04:25:05 pm
      There's no way you can call him a legend for one goal, vital or not
      But I just did. And added, 'in my eyes at least'. So there you go :D

Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #78: Jan 24, 2014 04:30:44 pm
      So what? He was still sh*t.

I like Vladi as a person, he never moaned about being a squad player, always speaks highly of the club and you could see what playing for Liverpool meant to him. But just because he scored in Istanbul (both from open play and a penalty) doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one. The same way Djimi Traore blocking a shot on the line in Istanbul doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one. The same way Igor Biscan's performances against Chelsea in both legs of the semi finals doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one. The same way Jerzy Dudek's heroics in Istanbul doesn't make his Liverpool career on the whole a great one.

Nor does the fact that Vladi scored in Istanbul make the point about him being a Houllier signing any less relevant.

Yes Vladi's goal was vital, yes it was a goal that every Kopite around the world cheered and yes it brought tears to my eyes. It still doesn't hide the fact that his Liverpool career, overall, was sh*t from a playing perspective. In terms of medal it was quite good with him winning everything except the League with the club.

That's just like your opinion.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #79: Jan 24, 2014 05:29:09 pm

As it did with Jimmy Traore :D Champions League winner.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #80: Jan 24, 2014 05:33:30 pm
      As it did with Jimmy Traore :D Champions League winner.

harry kewell  :D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #81: Jan 24, 2014 05:35:34 pm

What 20 seconds of him? :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4408 
      Reply #82: Jan 24, 2014 05:36:52 pm

Nope it was at least 30 seconds!

Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #83: Jan 24, 2014 05:41:32 pm

23 minutes.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #84: Jan 24, 2014 05:42:41 pm

You being precise  :f_tongueincheek:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Reply #85: Jan 24, 2014 05:50:09 pm
      I don't know about legends but definitely Heroes.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #86: Jan 24, 2014 06:42:39 pm
      People do surprise me when they STILL say that he has been poor in the market, I just don't get it at all.
      Aw come off it mick. I've known you long enough to know you aren't that naive or arrogant mate. There's just no way you would be daft enough, or arrogant enough, to start a thread (which asks for opinions) and expect everyone to agree with your take on things just because it's yours... no way:)

He took over a team which was consistently finishing 15-20 points outside the Champions League places ...

... And here we are 18 months later with the team sitting in the top four and having a chance of achieving his objectives when he arrived. Yes we've spent around 65-70 million quid NET in transfer fees in order to achieve that...

... And yet we've improved relative to them, which is surely the only sensible measure by which we can be judged.
      Just to be clear: you are saying we are sitting in the top four and that, in keeping with your inference (and thread), can be attributed directly to Brendan's success in the transfer market: is that correct?

I can see exactly where your coming from mick and agree to a certain extent: i.e. the players (all players) really do have a big part to play in the progress. However that [inference] then poses out a new set of questions.

* How much of the progress can be attributed to Brendan's coaching/tactics rather than just his signings? Do we rule the coaching side of things out completely; a little bit or not at all? - My opinion: we can't sensibly measure our progress without paying, at least, equal tribute to Brendan's skill as a coach.

* How many of his signings have actually contributed and to what extent? My opinion: obviously both Sturridge and Coutinho have brought massive improvement where others haven't.

* Is the undoubted (in my opinion) input of Sturridge and Coutinho enough for us to claim the overall dealings have been successful? My opinion: hmm... tough one; simply because I don't know how people want to measure that. Is it 'money wasted'; 'numbers bought' or success/flop ratio?

The thing is; I've been round this game long enough to know that:

i) No manager gets every transfer right every time - some will be an instant success; some will be a 'slow-burner' and some will 'flop' - the hope is they are, at worst, 'slow-burners'.
      ii) No manager ever signs a player knowing that he will fail - each and every signing is done in good faith. They win some, they lose some but always have the best intentions.

With this in mind (excluding poor Roy, much to my shame) I wouldn't use any manager's transfer dealings as a 'weapon' against them and despise, with a passion, when anyone does. Similarly, I never care about a player's cost when looking at their level of 'success'; a player's price is less important than his ability and how he improves the team (to me anyhow).

The truth is that: right here, right now Brendan has bought/loaned way more 'flops' and 'slow-burners' than instant successes but let's not forget...

He has been severely hamstrung by a policy which dictates that he shops, from the TK Maxx clearance rail, with the small clubs. Hoking and poking about in the hope that he finds the gem that others have missed. Brendan competes, at the lower end of the transfer market, for the sort of player any of the smaller, established, clubs can afford. That's not his fault.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #87: Jan 24, 2014 06:42:55 pm
      And the signings of:
      Alonso
      Mascherano
      Luis Garcia
      Arbeloa
      Reina
      Torres
      Lucas
      Maxi Rodriquez
      Riera
      Sissoko
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Smicer
      Kuyt
      Hamann
      Ngog

List was looking good till , Ngog  he is tae fitba what Douglas Bader was tae tap dancin  , dont know how he managed it but he found his level at Hearts
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #88: Jan 24, 2014 06:47:49 pm
      F**k, I remember Pelligrino! Hahaha he was proper sh*t him, massive dope!

Oh, and you forgot Kyrgiakos.

Pelligrino actually had a successful career and was highly rated in his day. The problem was we signed him towards the end of his career and his legs just weren't up to the pace of the English game. If I remember correctly, Morientes was the highest goal scorer in Europe the season before we signed him and it was quite a coup our signing him. It just didn't work out for him with us but that didn't make him a sh*t signing.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #89: Jan 24, 2014 07:33:05 pm
      Shall we go through Benitez's failed signings?

Josemi
      Kromkamp
      Dossena
      Pennant
      Morientes
      Pelligrino
      Carson
      Kirkland
      Nunez
      Gonzalez
      Leto
      Babel
      Voronin
      Keane
      Diego
      Aquilani

Millions wasted

I was rocked and shocked a couple of years back when I saw how many players Rafa had signed.

Rafa's  £229m spending spree: The 76 players signed during the Liverpool manager's reign ......

All here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221975/Rafa-Benitezs-229m-spending-spree-The-76-players-signed-Liverpool-managers-reign.html
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #90: Jan 24, 2014 08:18:20 pm
      Sure Rafa signed plenty of duds, but wonder what the ratio .... worth it:not
      So far for BR, from the list there are 6 top4 squad level, 9 that I would say are currently not.  That's 6:9, or 2 from 5. Which doesn't seem good to me but I'm too lazy to do the maths for Rafa, Houllier etc.

It's not just that. What's the thinking even now -- why are we going for a winger (whether we get him or not)?! If the money is there, could be spent more wisely imo - just don't understand that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #91: Jan 24, 2014 08:39:22 pm
      I was rocked and shocked a couple of years back when I saw how many players Rafa had signed.

Rafa's  £229m spending spree: The 76 players signed during the Liverpool manager's reign ......

All here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221975/Rafa-Benitezs-229m-spending-spree-The-76-players-signed-Liverpool-managers-reign.html

To put it into perspective though, 39 of those players were signed for the youth/reserves.

Quick Reply