Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Steven Gerrard - his new role. Good for him, us or neither?

Read 18821 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4955 
      Re: Steven Gerrard - his new role. Good for him, us or neither?
      Reply #184: Jan 22, 2014 03:39:41 pm
      Gerrard can't be used in lucas role. The villa experiment shown that.

The only thing the Villa 'experiment' showed was that the manager got his tactics and formation wrong which left Gerrard isolated. Lucas would have struggled just as much had he started the game there at the weekend.

Don't be surprised if he's out the door soon.

Not a chance in hell Gerrard will be 'shown the door'.

Get a grip.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #185: Jan 22, 2014 03:43:37 pm
      The only thing the Villa 'experiment' showed was that the manager got his tactics and formation wrong which left Gerrard isolated. Lucas would have struggled just as much had he started the game there at the weekend.

Not a chance in hell Gerrard will be 'shown the door'.

Get a grip.
      I hope your right,  but we don't exactly have va good recent track record of keeping highly paid players who aren't contributing 90mins week in week out football.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #186: Jan 22, 2014 03:49:46 pm
      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's your answer right there mate.

I know...and after our debacle of a summer, we can't afford to screw this window up.

If Brendan somehow manages to get top 4 in spite of the lack of support, he's a miracle man and deserves a new contract asap.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #187: Jan 22, 2014 03:58:10 pm
      I hope your right,  but we don't exactly have va good recent track record of keeping highly paid players who aren't contributing 90mins week in week out football.

But Gerrard still brings in plenty of revenue through shirt sales etc.  He's more than just a highly paid player, he's club captain, an icon and legend who people still pay good money to watch play.  You only need to see the reaction on our summer tour when fans were being interviewed, they all wanted to see Gerrard play and hopefully score.

I'm not saying those supporters wouldn't have been there if Stevie didn't travel but he's still a big commercial pull for the Club.  It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #188: Jan 23, 2014 01:55:37 am
      I think it's amazing we can have 6 pages on a topic that has an answer that is so painfully obvious.....

This has to be the best comment on those six pages. Cheers.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #189: Jan 29, 2014 12:48:13 pm
      Plays like he did last night then there's no question that it's good for everybody who loves Liverpool Football Club.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #190: Jan 29, 2014 12:51:06 pm
      Plays like he did last night then there's no question that it's good for everybody who loves Liverpool Football Club.

I've had my doubts Billy but can't argue with those observations.  My mom last night and it's a very long time since he had that level of performance.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,628 posts | 7146 
      Reply #191: Jan 29, 2014 12:54:32 pm
      the problem with Stevie is he would still probably be our best fullback our best winger our best attacking midfielder wherever you put him he will have an influence.Wasn't keen on him going back but what do I know because he was my man of the match last night and his discipline in holding his position was perfect and he could play there and improve over the next 3 or 4 years.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #192: Jan 29, 2014 12:56:51 pm
      Gerrard can't be used in lucas role. The villa experiment shown that. This means he'll never be centre back. He's gonna have to be CM or AM. He is loosing the legs for 90 mins. He's on high wages.  Don't be surprised if he's out the door soon. I hope he will stay but I think that he can only be used as a substitute when we need something from the bench. He's gone from first 11 to good squad player.  He's a highly paid squad player.

You're wrong about everything, all of the time.

That's a pretty special talent.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #193: Jan 29, 2014 01:03:57 pm
      No doubt there will be plenty of whopperish statements on here but I can't be bothered to look. I'm not talking about people who say they prefer the captain further forward, or it's better for the team if we have a holder in behind him, that's a valid opinion. Thos though who said he CAN'T play as a holder were shown to be incorrect last night, even if it was only one night. He was brilliant from start to finish, and in my view had he not played we wouldn't have won the game anywhere near so convincingly, if at all.

Obviously the Villa game didn't prove he can't play there anymore than this game proved that it's his best position, but it did IMHo prove he has at least the capability if anyone doubted that. I don't always agree with Rafa, but he was proved spot on last night.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,628 posts | 7146 
      Reply #194: Jan 29, 2014 01:05:18 pm
      You're wrong about everything, all of the time.That's a pretty special talent.

he is consistent isn't he consistently wrong. Wonder if he has any idea about respecting a man that had just donated  £96k to the justice campaign scored the first goal in the Derby then marshalled his team to a 4-0 win.Stevie is a force of nature long may he continue
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #195: Jan 29, 2014 09:09:30 pm
      Our fans never fail to amaze when it comes to Gerrard these past couple of years. There must have been three separate spells in the last 2/3 years where I have been reading premature obituaries with regards to Stevie. He doesn't have the legs anymore, he's past it, he's not the same player, he can't play this role, he can't play that role, he doesn't have the intelligence to adapt his game etc and still they never learn their lesson and the Captain comes storming back to prove them wrong. Some of the comments in this thread and in Stevie's player thread are ridiculous. He might not be suited to this new deeper role long-term but give the lad a chance why not? He said himself he has a bit of learning and refining to do before we see the best of him in the holding role. With that in mind and given the player he is perhaps everyone should see how he performs over a period of games before calling time on him. I amazed that so many are SO sure that he cannot play this role but he is a bright player, he reads the game well and I'm pretty certain he can play the role and play it very well. He could probably use a bit more protection, that's not to say that he needs runners about him as has been suggested in this thread BUT we are a bit cavalier in attack, very much a back 5 and a front 6 at times and often with at least one of the full backs playing high and wide. We've actually got some decent defenders at the club but we concede goals because our midfield players and full-backs are very forward thinking. This just needs to be tweaked a little bit.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #196: Jan 29, 2014 09:13:17 pm
      Gerrard showed yesterday that he has still got it, key player within the squad and is a massive influence in big games like last night.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,502 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #197: Jan 30, 2014 01:39:19 am
      Gerrard showed yesterday that he has still got it, key player within the squad and is a massive influence in big games like last night.

F***ing right mate. In a different way maybe but write him off at your peril.

The Captain.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #198: Jan 30, 2014 02:13:55 am
      Despite his MOTM performance, I still believe a defensive midfielder along side Gerrard and allowing him to play more freely in the middle will not only cause more mayhem in attack but we'll gain more control in the middle.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #199: Jan 30, 2014 12:09:13 pm
      Despite his MOTM performance, I still believe a defensive midfielder along side Gerrard and allowing him to play more freely in the middle will not only cause more mayhem in attack but we'll gain more control in the middle.

This.

SG creates more going forward than playing as DM.
      I would say he is a much better value for 60 minutes as offensive midfielder than 90 minutes of DM. If he can't hack it as forward going midfielder for 90 minutes than he should be substituted after 60 minutes or so. We would get much more out of him.

Anyway, that is my 2 peneth worth.

Quick Reply