Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Defensive Midfielder Required.

Read 20303 times
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Re: Defensive Midfielder Required.
      Reply #184: Jan 29, 2014 01:08:04 am
      Why the f**k were they loaned out??
      We don't have the luxury of a massive squad as events are proving, clubs like Chelsea loan out because they have more players on their books than they can cope with or need.
      LFC loan out for financial reasons, economics will win us f**k all.

What's even more depressing is that those wages saved probably paid for the cissoko loan fee!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,223 posts | 4418 
      Reply #185: Jan 29, 2014 08:47:51 am
      Well after last night maybe the DM role is no longer available with Stevie showing in the right formation he is capable and we have Lucas as a capable replacement once he returns from injury.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #186: Jan 29, 2014 08:52:47 am
      Well after last night maybe the DM role is no longer available with Stevie showing in the right formation he is capable and we have Lucas as a capable replacement once he returns from injury.

Wouldn't label that as a DM role last night. At times it looked more like a sweeper role, as Stevie was slotting in at centre back giving us a back 3/5.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,223 posts | 4418 
      Reply #187: Jan 29, 2014 09:11:58 am
      Wouldn't label that as a DM role last night. At times it looked more like a sweeper role, as Stevie was slotting in at centre back giving us a back 3/5.

Label it what you like makes no difference question is still the same if the Boss is adamant that this is the new role for Stevie for the next 18months or so.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #188: Jan 29, 2014 09:35:04 am
      Would you rather:

A) have bought Aspas (£7m fee) and Alberto (£7m fee)

or

B) kept the money and had £14m to buy a DM in January?
      Tommy#Benfica
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 12 
      Reply #189: Jan 29, 2014 10:55:35 am
      In Portugal some people are saying that Fernando broke their agreement to renew the contract expiring at the end of the season with Porto and he will go to the Premier League. Lucas is injured, Rodgers say they will try a big sign...
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #190: Jan 29, 2014 11:20:23 am
      I've said it before in this thread and I still think it now, Brendan doesn't see us as playing with a traditional dm so I really can't see him going out and buying one.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #191: Jan 29, 2014 11:24:13 am
      I've said it before in this thread and I still think it now, Brendan doesn't see us as playing with a traditional dm so I really can't see him going out and buying one.

Why you sat that Debs, all indications of playing Lucas regulalry would suggest otherwise.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #192: Jan 29, 2014 11:40:34 am

He's also on record as saying that Lucas is vital to how he wants us to play.

Now, I don't think that means necessarily that it's Lucas as a player is vital - gOD i HOPE NOT - but would seem to imply that a defensive/ holding midfielder is.

Every team needs that sort of player, and simply making Stevie G play deeper isn't the same. He's talked about Stevie in relation to Pirlo, who isn't a holding midfielder.

Way I see it is that Stevie playing deeper is more like how Xabi played for us - quite often deep - but usually with a more destructive force close to him (Hamann or Sissoko and then the far superior Mascherano).
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #193: Jan 29, 2014 12:47:57 pm
      Why you sat that Debs, all indications of playing Lucas regulalry would suggest otherwise.

He's also on record as saying that Lucas is vital to how he wants us to play.

Now, I don't think that means necessarily that it's Lucas as a player is vital - gOD i HOPE NOT - but would seem to imply that a defensive/ holding midfielder is.

Every team needs that sort of player, and simply making Stevie G play deeper isn't the same. He's talked about Stevie in relation to Pirlo, who isn't a holding midfielder.

Way I see it is that Stevie playing deeper is more like how Xabi played for us - quite often deep - but usually with a more destructive force close to him (Hamann or Sissoko and then the far superior Mascherano).

It's hard to disagree with either of you as the indications are that Lucas will play whenever fit.  I see it as he's using what he has available to him but long term I think he has other ideas.

I just don't see him going out specifically to buy a like for like replacement/competition for Lucas.  You only need to look at how the Academy teams line up, they don't play with a 'destroyer' in midfield, they have two cm's who alternate between sitting and getting forward.

It's only my opinion though  ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,337 posts | 2864 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #194: Jan 29, 2014 01:17:06 pm
      Lads question on a point raised above, can you recall your players from loan?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #195: Jan 29, 2014 01:31:19 pm
      Lads question on a point raised above, can you recall your players from loan?

Depends if it was agreed during negotiations for the loan. Sometimes they can but sometimes they can't.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt
      • Started Topic

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #196: Jan 30, 2014 08:17:20 pm
      All the late rumours of us getting a CDM are cropping up!

Really hoping for a deadline day shock signing! #MVilla
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #197: Jan 30, 2014 08:22:11 pm
      I wonder how this much ballyhooed "player valuation" bollocks works if it's a player on loan.

Presumably if we're taking someone on loan, anyone, then we're going to be paying his wages at the very least.

so do Ayre & co do a "player valuation" only in terms of a transfer fee?  or also in terms of wages alone?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #198: Jan 30, 2014 08:23:28 pm
      Sod's law says we will sign M'Vila, only player we haven't got a thread for.... sewn on signing :)
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #199: Jan 30, 2014 10:45:59 pm
      I wonder if now that Rafa has bought Jorginho in that might let Inler go with Agger going the other way. i know it's been mooted but I think there is something in it. He's not a defensive midifelder but he is physical and gets up and back. Although Rafa does like to stockpile CM's

Quick Reply