Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match v West Brom?

Simon Mignolet
      11 (9.6%)
      Jon Flanagan
      4 (3.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.7%)
      Kolo Toure
      5 (4.3%)
      Aly Cissokho
      6 (5.2%)
      Steven Gerrard
      10 (8.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      68 (59.1%)
      Luis Suarez
      5 (4.3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      4 (3.5%)
      Martin Kelly
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: Feb 07, 2014 03:31:08 pm

West Brom 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match *****

Read 31685 times
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Re: West Brom 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match *****
      Reply #437: Feb 02, 2014 05:31:21 pm
      You are joking, right?

The player is temperamental and therefore a liability. No doubt he's good, but he is someone we really do not need here. Swansea is the right club for him, as is Stoke for Charlie Adam, as is West Ham for Downing.

As Benitez would say, we need quality no?

That's your opinion I respect that but I thought he was a fantastic addition to the squad and put so much effort into his performances. Our midfield is good but it can also lack in certain games that's why everybody was wanting a DM.

I'm not arsed about Charlie Adam and Downing was sh*t so no miss here.

And no I'm not joking.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #438: Feb 02, 2014 05:38:42 pm
      That's your opinion I respect that but I thought he was a fantastic addition to the squad and put so much effort into his performances. Our midfield is good but it can also lack in certain games that's why everybody was wanting a DM.

I'm not arsed about Charlie Adam and Downing was sh*t so no miss here.

And no I'm not joking.

Something I can't get my head around is why we didn't look to strengthen in midfield and fullback
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #439: Feb 02, 2014 05:44:39 pm
      Something I can't get my head around is why we didn't look to strengthen in midfield and fullback

Em......Director of Football?

Plus the manager felt we were strong enough in those areas.

Cissokho came to fill in for Enrique

Then there is Kelly, Johnson and Flano...

Allen, Henderson, Lucas, Gerrard, Couthino, Alberto; surely a combination here should be able to control the midfield.
      « Last Edit: Feb 02, 2014 05:55:01 pm by solodee »
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #440: Feb 02, 2014 05:44:53 pm

Modern day Liverpool ownership and transfer committee for you.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #441: Feb 02, 2014 05:49:33 pm

Because players cost money. We have none.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #442: Feb 02, 2014 06:13:51 pm
      Only managed to see the second half and wasn't expecting that, the whole team Raheem aside looked off the pace, all the one touch passes that were so good on Tuesday were cack today.
      Kolo oh dear for a so called leader on the pitch after his huge error he was just plainly embarrassing, the lad just fell apart lumping balls up misplacing passes. I suppose he was never expecting to get so much game time. Thank god Agger is due back soon.
      I sort of understood why Coutinho was taken off for Allen as we had no control in midfield but unfortunately also meant we lost a lot of creativity and the front 2 were starved of any balls coming through.
      At least it was an improvement on last season but still a huge 2 pts dropped.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #443: Feb 02, 2014 06:18:43 pm
      A silly mistake that happens, but honestly 2 points lost and those 2 points at the end of the season can make or break you.

Not upset, just disappointed we did not take advantage of other results that went our way this weekend.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #444: Feb 02, 2014 06:20:55 pm
      When a team struggles for tempo like we did today it's important to have a commanding CM player who demands the ball so that he can dictate the pace of the game.  Alonso and Souness are examples from the past.  It's an area we're seriously lacking at present.  Gerrard is often careless in possession. 

That's why I believe we should have been looking for CM players in the January window.

Yup, had the discussion with a fellow Liverpool fan and he disagrees with me that Gerrard isn't good enough in that defensive holding role. He's too often a passenger and just can't read the game like previous dms we have had here.

Steven Gerrard is a Liverpool legend with an incredible legacy, but that's not to say that he shouldn't be replaced in the near future. He's not good enough as a DM, and he'll have to prove that he's more capable than Allen and Henderson in the central roles.

We need a tactically sound midfielder. One who is capable of dictating the pace of the game but also one who can be two seconds ahead at all time. Mascherano and Alonso were a perfect partnering. Gerard lacks discipline and know how in that area - a fault he cannot be blamed for. Benitez didn't move him forward for nothing.
      Redone
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #445: Feb 02, 2014 06:21:32 pm
      The result of NO activity in the January transfer window..
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #446: Feb 02, 2014 06:25:09 pm

Yes and no.

But still, you look at our XI and then compare it to theirs and you are left wondering why we played so poorly. Not one of their players could get into our team.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #447: Feb 02, 2014 06:28:34 pm

Not sure the signing of Salah or Kono would have stopped kolo's brain fart.

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #448: Feb 02, 2014 06:57:37 pm
      feel like we going rule not buying one good midfielder, in january and miss out top 4,
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #449: Feb 02, 2014 07:01:19 pm

No, far more simple than that. The result of not one player in a Liverpool shirt looking like they where up for that game.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #450: Feb 02, 2014 07:09:20 pm
      No, far more simple than that. The result of not one player in a Liverpool shirt looking like they where up for that game.

They all put in a lacklustre performance. Suarez is starting to look jaded and Sturridge was incredibly frustrating. One thing we couldn't control were West Broms dirty cynical challenges. Every time we countered, they fouled us. The referee really ought to start issuing yellow cards in these circumstances as today, it killed the game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #451: Feb 02, 2014 07:11:45 pm

Agree with that from the second half that I managed to see it seemed like we were expecting WBrom to just roll over after our performance on Tuesday. A bit of disrespect I imagine was our downfall.
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #452: Feb 02, 2014 07:40:55 pm
      I was thinking before the game who was gunna score for WestBrom, not having Lukaku or Shane Long this time time round and no Anelka couldn't see a big goal threat. Bit of Misfortune on Our befhalf ;( . I thougth Gerrard playing deep didn't help us today, after it was 1-1 I think we needed to bring off one of the lads up front and get an extra man in midfield, cause Sturidge and Suarez were cut off up front. Sterling did his best to get down the line and create for them but we didn't really have it on the other side in the second half. Ended up playing a few straight balls from the back Skrtel and Toure and it didn't work for us.
      rossyred

• 9,317 posts | 1672 
      Reply #453: Feb 02, 2014 07:45:12 pm
      while toure had a shocker he wasnt on his own our midfield misplaced many a pass and sadly coutinho or henderson are not good enough or strong enough to take a game by the scruff of the neck. One man capable was sat to deep could BR have shoved him up and put allen in his place ?? either way the substitution came 15 mins to late it was clearly not working .
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #454: Feb 02, 2014 07:54:55 pm
      They all put in a lacklustre performance. Suarez is starting to look jaded and Sturridge was incredibly frustrating. One thing we couldn't control were West Broms dirty cynical challenges. Every time we countered, they fouled us. The referee really ought to start issuing yellow cards in these circumstances as today, it killed the game.

yep..West Brom are a very sh*t team.. They have no one that you can call skilful, apart from Anelka, so they broke down our attacks with fouls..2 out of the 4 yellows they got were for pulling back Sterling, the other for pulling back Sturridge.. F**kin hate that.. Thats not football its f**kin assault..
      Thought Sterling ran em ragged today just couldn't find that proper opening to finish off the move.
      Gerrard was ineffective today considering the performance last Tuesday.
      Suarez was once again bullied off the ball and spent most of his time on his arse..so he had to play em at their own game and took his yellow card for clipping that Yacob as payback for his hack on Gerrard and subsequent yellow earlier on in the game.

Feel for Toure but these suicidal square balls across the back are becoming a regular part of BR's philosophy in that this is how we progress up the pitch..Nah sorry mate I'm not having that..and we paid for it today.. big time..
      Mignolet needs to sort his distribution out..

Would we have played like that against the likes of Arsenal? Man City?Chelsea? footballing teams, who want to play the game and pass and move? on a nice smooth carpet of a pitch ? think not.. Instead we had to play on a sh*t pitch against a team who played like an ale house team..

Gutted...threw away a great chance to to put some mileage on 4th spot today..

:mad:
      « Last Edit: Feb 02, 2014 08:20:48 pm by 6stringer »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #455: Feb 02, 2014 08:18:05 pm
      Skrtel never got that much abuse when he passed it back to Tevez to make it 2-2 against City last season.

Kolo never scored in the right end
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #456: Feb 02, 2014 08:51:36 pm
      Bad day at the office wasn't it. Had it not been for Toure's error I fancied we would have ground out a 1-0 win, it was that sort of game. Really shi...tty pitch and I thought it was a factor, our passing game was laboured, the one touch stuff we usually play did not work and Luis had one of his rare off days with the exception of the assist for the goal. We needed to take one of those 1 on 1 chances to get the 2nd goal but it wasn't to be. Given we're playing the gooners next week it would have been nice to get the win that would have guaranteed we stayed in 4th no matter the result next weekend.

On the plus side we've put another point between us and the mancs who are the team I still see as our biggest rivals for 4th spot and the Spuds also drew so in our mini-league we only lost ground to the bitters.

Also, just checked the fixtures and it's the bitters vs spudz next weekend

QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #457: Feb 02, 2014 09:31:02 pm
      Cant play passing football at the back with our defenders. The only one that could do that is possibly Agger, and he was not there today. Another thing that frustrates me is the calmness at wich we move the ball around when we need a result. Calm is good, but SO MUCH calm gets on my nerves.

First match ive been able to watch on TV and not on the internet. Just my luck.

In a nutshell, our midfield was ineffective bringing the ball forward and was unable to put our front men in scoring positions, with  few exceptions.
      Our attackers couldnt pull a rabbit out of their hats today, hence, we dropped points. Nothing we didnt expect, we knew that the day that Suarez and Daniel were ineffective it would be hard to win, given our massive holes at the back.

We have absolutely no depth (we also knew that), and so game changers on the bench. None of this is new, and i think we all expect this kind of games every once in a while. We still look good for fourth, and we may (fainter every day, but the chance is still there) fight for the title.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #458: Feb 02, 2014 09:33:25 pm
      Thought we were p*ss poor today but comfortable until Toure turned into a complete fooking idiot, unforgiveable at this level to do something as stupid as that

We sat back too much hoping to catch them on the break, but teams are aware now how dangerous we are on the counter. Thought Sterling was our main man again today.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #459: Feb 02, 2014 09:41:06 pm
      Thought we were p*ss poor today but comfortable until Toure turned into a complete fooking idiot, unforgiveable at this level to do something as stupid as that

We sat back too much hoping to catch them on the break, but teams are aware now how dangerous we are on the counter. Thought Sterling was our main man again today.

Yeah I thought it was a shame we did not change our tactics earlier once it was clear that the baggies were not going to throw people forward and get caught out on the counter.
      Sort of begs the question why do we play sh*t teams like WBrom on the counter surely our midfield could and would have that area of the field tied up.

Quick Reply