Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Depth of Squad (and where we need improving)

Read 3615 times
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Re: Depth of Squad (and where we need improving)
      Reply #23: Feb 12, 2014 01:31:12 am
      So your solution for our small squad is to sell five players, loan out two and bring in one?

:D
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #24: Feb 12, 2014 10:36:17 am
      I would suggest we need better cover everywhere apart from central defence. Assuming Suarez, Johnson and Agger all stay.

We have a good first XI when everyone's fit, but we can't rotate because Aspas, Alberto, Cissokho, Allen and Lucas aren't good enough.

BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #25: Feb 12, 2014 02:39:22 pm
      I'm sold on Martin Montoya, I think he would be a great signing giving us flexibility at fb.

Konoplyanka (allegedly) was gutted to miss out on the move and I think he or possibly Tom Ince would be who I'd go for in thewide fwd position.

I'm a huge fan of Chelsea's Ramires and I think that he's exactly the kind of player we need... Pity they won't be selling him but I would be looking at players with a similar skill set.

On the striker issue... Does Borini warrant another chance, albeit as the super sub? I reckon he does if he can stay fit. As others have touched on, who can we recruit who has quality but will be contented as understudy to Studge and Luis?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #26: Feb 12, 2014 05:02:17 pm
      I would suggest we need better cover everywhere apart from central defence. Assuming Suarez, Johnson and Agger all stay.

We have a good first XI when everyone's fit, but we can't rotate because Aspas, Alberto, Cissokho, Allen and Lucas aren't good enough.

??? When everyone's fit, the "good first XI" has Lucas in it. And not only is he in it, he's a crucial part of it.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #27: Feb 12, 2014 05:10:59 pm
      ??? When everyone's fit, the "good first XI" has Lucas in it. And not only is he in it, he's a crucial part of it.

So who do we drop from the squad that just demolished Arsenal?

If things continue its going to be really hard to move Stevie out of this spot and we are not going to play 3 at the back to make a space for Lucas; so who do we move out of the starting XI?...Hendo? Sterling?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #28: Feb 12, 2014 05:18:08 pm

If things continue its going to be really hard to move Stevie out of this spot and we are not going to play 3 at the back to make a space for Lucas; so who do we move out of the starting XI?...Hendo? Sterling?

Based on earlier in the season, it'd probably be Sterling, with Coutinho either moving wide or us playing a 4-3-1-2. As it stands though, just because Lucas is crucial, doesn't mean you should drop a highly in-form player.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #29: Feb 12, 2014 05:20:41 pm

I don't think it's a case of who we drop once everyone's fit mate, it just gives Brendan more options, after all isn't that what we've been crying out for all season.  A strong squad that when a change of tactics is required we have the personnel to do so rather than having to change due to lack of players.

It's obviously helped that players previously deemed not good enough are now playing so well that we think they shouldn't be dropped once the 'senior' player is fit again.

It's a credit to Brendan and his coaching methods that the squad that started the season is much stronger now without bringing any new players in.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #30: Feb 12, 2014 05:33:23 pm
      I don't think it's a case of who we drop once everyone's fit mate, it just gives Brendan more options, after all isn't that what we've been crying out for all season.  A strong squad that when a change of tactics is required we have the personnel to do so rather than having to change due to lack of players.

It's obviously helped that players previously deemed not good enough are now playing so well that we think they shouldn't be dropped once the 'senior' player is fit again.

It's a credit to Brendan and his coaching methods that the squad that started the season is much stronger now without bringing any new players in.

I agree with you Deb 1000%...right now if they continue the way they have been going the Lucas needs to be providing cover for Stevie from the bench and giving the gaffer additional options later on the match.

I would not drop Sterling/Hendo/Cout  for anybody on our squad right now.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #31: Feb 12, 2014 06:27:10 pm

I agree with you Deb 1000%...right now if they continue the way they have been going the Lucas needs to be providing cover for Stevie from the bench and giving the gaffer additional options later on the match.

I would not drop Sterling/Hendo/Cout  for anybody on our squad right now.

Again it depends on tactics mate.  For example Brendan might decide we need extra cover for the defense against the chavs and city and bring Lucas in but then the best form of defense is attack, as the arsenal game showed.

I'm just happy that the injuries seem to be improving and we'll have more options to take us to the end of the season.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #32: Feb 13, 2014 02:46:27 pm
      There are two areas that I am sufficiently happy with: 

1.  The number of "characters" we have in the team (Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard, Sakho, Skrtel).  These are players who won't go hiding if things aren't going well, and they seem to relish the chance to play on the big stage.

2.  The amount of experience we have in our ranks (Toure, Johno, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard).  These are players who know how to keep a lead and kill time in order to ensure 3 points.  Some of you may mention Toure's 2 horrible gaffs in recent weeks, but 2 mistakes don't take away from a career of achievements. 

As I am happy with the two aforementioned areas, I would be happy to see us bring in a few more talented young players who can provide depth but also have the quality to push for a 1st team place.   

Attackers:  Jese Rodriguez or Loic Remy
      Wide Midfielders:  Memphis Depay or Antoine Griezmann
      Central Midfielders:  Toni Kroos, Lewis Holtby, or Tom Huddlestone
      Fullbacks:  Martin Montoya or Mattia De Sciglio

Also, bring back Suso, Borini, and Robinson as I think these 3 have a future at LFC.

If we signed 1 from each category in the summer then I feel we'd have the necessary quality AND depth to seriously compete in all 3 domestic competitions......... and the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!!

Quick Reply