Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Arsenal 12;45 Sat 8 Feb 2014

Read 16969 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: Liverpool Vs Arsenal 12;45 Saturday the 8th February 2014
      Reply #23: Feb 04, 2014 12:18:53 pm
      Reason as to why the gooner fans are confident is simply because their recent success against us. Like City learnt yesterday, a trend is not consistently ongoing - it's due to end at some point. We're at Anfield and in need of three crucial points. I will NOT settle for a draw.

We need to play quick, direct football. Look to get Sterling in behind the defence with Sturridge and Suarez also bombing forward. Play same formation and team that played Everton, and let's not invite pressure onto ourselves. Arsenal love the intricate passes and they need time on the ball to do this. Close them down, outmuscle them at every opportunity - we are playing in front of 45000 Liverpool supporters! Let's not embarrass ourselves
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #24: Feb 04, 2014 01:10:16 pm
      Bouncebackability....

We had a draw that to many has felt like a defeat - and I am one of these people. We need to come back strong - last weekend I think for the second time this season we showed a little bit of arrogrance and it cost us. The same away agianst Hull - we didnt rate them and paid the price. I think we will get a much better performance.

We played them in November and lost and its almost exactly the same two sides lining up at Anfield this tme round. Same injuries for them as last time and we have the same starting 11 aside from Lucas.

Can we win, for sure - will it be easy no! We need to get at them early, use pace and guile and for want of a better word steamroller them... Im not talking about a West Ham or Stoke performance here (no disrespect) but first into every challenge, first to every second ball and first to put our selfs on the line!

My prediction - great game and a 3 -1 victory to us (however the last goal will be in the 92min so in reality a hard faught 2 -1 win)...
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #25: Feb 04, 2014 01:31:17 pm
      Bouncebackability....

We had a draw that to many has felt like a defeat - and I am one of these people. We need to come back strong - last weekend I think for the second time this season we showed a little bit of arrogrance and it cost us. The same away agianst Hull - we didnt rate them and paid the price. I think we will get a much better performance.

We played them in November and lost and its almost exactly the same two sides lining up at Anfield this tme round. Same injuries for them as last time and we have the same starting 11 aside from Lucas.

Can we win, for sure - will it be easy no! We need to get at them early, use pace and guile and for want of a better word steamroller them... Im not talking about a West Ham or Stoke performance here (no disrespect) but first into every challenge, first to every second ball and first to put our selfs on the line!

My prediction - great game and a 3 -1 victory to us (however the last goal will be in the 92min so in reality a hard faught 2 -1 win)...

you wouldn't have this weeks winning lottery numbers would you.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #26: Feb 04, 2014 01:54:09 pm
      It has been very interesting scanning arsenal forums recently. There is a total conviction that they ll win this. We shall wait and see which Liverpool turns up but Rodgers has proved a good few things this year.

He has been very adaptable, has won against 'big teams' and we have wiped the floor with some of our rivals. He has previous against wenger beating him handsomely as a Swansea manager.

We should have won at the emirates last year when Hendo had a great game. For this we'll be boosted by the injuries arsenal have in midfield with no Ramsey, Walcott and Wilshere being doubtful.

SaSaS need to be at their best against a well drilled defence. But no reason why previous victories orchestrated by the likes of Suarez, Torres and Luis Garcia can't be repeated.

Let's go for it. I expect Allen to come in for this one. 2-1 to us.

SaS isn't what worries me in this match, it's our midfield and Cissohoko and for that reason, I'm really not confident about this match. After the weekend's result, this game just got a whole lot bigger.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #27: Feb 04, 2014 01:59:22 pm
      This is not a case of can we beat Arsenal, it is a case of we have no option but to beat Arsenal. :kop5cf8koxp6:

I think our game has always been about our intensity especially at home. Get the crowd up for it by getting stuck in and we are half way there.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #28: Feb 04, 2014 02:26:21 pm
      I think Brendan has to be brave with his team selection play 3 in central midfield rather than expecting wide players to help control the midfield.

Mignolet

Flanagan     Skrtel      Toure    Cissokho

Allen     Gerrard     Henderson

Coutinho
                 Sturridge          Suarez

Yes I know I have dropped Sterling to the bench and he was our best player against W.B.A. but I think this is one game when we can't afford to get overmatched in midfield.

We need intensity, creativity and determination similar to that we showed against Everton. Play like we did against W.B.A. allow Arsenal to press and we may be looking at a similar result.

We need to feed our strikers not starve them of any sort of decent possession and they are good enough to score against any side nevermind Arsenal.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #29: Feb 04, 2014 02:52:30 pm
      I think Brendan has to be brave with his team selection play 3 in central midfield rather than expecting wide players to help control the midfield.

Mignolet

Coutinho

Yes I know I have dropped Sterling to the bench and he was our best player against W.B.A. but I think this is one game when we can't afford to get overmatched in midfield.

We need intensity, creativity and determination similar to that we showed against Everton. Play like we did against W.B.A. allow Arsenal to press and we may be looking at a similar result.

We need to feed our strikers not starve them of any sort of decent possession and they are good enough to score against any side nevermind Arsenal.

I like this team Saint.
      Henderson and Allen can go wide to help the FB's, and coutinho plus one of Sturridge/Suarez can drop deeper to help the centre, so it's a pretty flexible system, although lacking a bit of pace.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #30: Feb 04, 2014 03:04:41 pm

Mignolet

Coutinho

I think a "braver" selection is one that doesn't drop Sterling for the anodyne Joe Allen.

As for overmatched in midfield, I was at the Emirates and we got F***ing murdered in there, so it's a definite concern, but they are missing Flamini, Ramsey and Wilshere, so we may be in better shape. MAYBE.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #31: Feb 04, 2014 03:21:59 pm

Mignolet

Coutinho

Assuming Sakho is still not fit then that will have to be our back 4. I would swap Coutinho for sterling seeing as though Coutinho seems to be a bit off form and Sterling has shown real determination to track back and help out in midfield.

Anker Rose Skov
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #32: Feb 04, 2014 03:48:50 pm
      win and stay in touch with the three above us draw or lose and we are in a straight battle with Neverton, Scum and Spurs for fourth only.

So true. But we will beat them 4-1.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #33: Feb 04, 2014 04:08:38 pm
      I look at this match and, even though it's at Anfield, I see Arsenal as the favorites going into it..... which is exactly what I prefer. We too often have a tendency to bottle it in matches we need to win and our favorites. We could really make a statement here in pushing us on for a CL place and putting a damper on Arsenal's title credentials in one go.

The way Arsenal like to control matches, we've got to go with three in midfield -- especially with Lucas still being injured and having a makeshift backline. Pretty much agree with s@int's team. 4-3-1-2: Mignolet; Flanagan, Skrtel, Toure, Cissokho; Gerrard, Allen, Henderson; Coutinho; Sturridge, Suarez.

The alternative would be dropping Sturridge in favor of Allen and playing Coutinho and Sterling wide. Would be such a difficult call though because Danny just can't stop scoring.

We need to put the shackles on Ozil. Even when he has a "poor" game (i.e., still better than most players in the league), he's still a threat. Kinda like how Luis is. I'd love to see us press high on Mertesacker and force him into moving, which as we all know, he can't do very well :laugh:
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #34: Feb 04, 2014 04:08:40 pm

I would love to be that confident about our team....I am just so pessimistic it pisses me off
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #35: Feb 04, 2014 04:25:49 pm
      I always fear playing Arsenal. They are the only side in the league who can out play us on the deck for me.

Maybe it's not our style as such, but I think we need to get into them and try and bully them a bit with a high tempo rather than out play them on the floor if we want the 3 points.

Saying that, Id go with:

Mig

Kelly      Skrtel     Toure     Flanny

Gerrard    Henderson

Sterling          Coutinho        Suarez/Sturridge

Suarez/Sturridge

Back four looks quite weak but I don't want cissokho anywhere near it. Whoever Arsenal choose to play, they will completely ruin him and focus on attacking us down that flank.  Im more than happy to trust Flanny with the job who's matured incredibly in a year or so and is the best form Ive seen of him.

Bags of goals in that team though. This could well be a 5-4 type of game!!

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #36: Feb 04, 2014 04:28:55 pm
      This game is F***ing massive for us this weekend. Lose and we are out of this race, if we win then it opens up one big F**k off can of worms!

A win will put us 5 points behind Arsenal, a win for either City or Chelsea will put either side 6 points clear of us but it will tighten the gap from 8 points to 6 points.

Both City and Chelsea have to come to us, this will give us the opportunity to close that gap by another 3 points on both sides.

Arsenal still have to face Spurs and Chelsea away, they also have City and United at home. We know that United and Chelsea usually bully Arsenal.

Chelsea have to face us and Arsenal, potentially 2 slip ups.

City have us, United and Arsenal. Barring Everton the rest of their games are bankers.

If we can win our games against Arsenal, Chelsea and City, regardless of other results we are guaranteed to close the gap on Arsenal to 5 points minimum and Chelsea and City to 3 points minimum.

With the advantage of not having European competition we are in a good position. Everyone is talking about Arsenal, Chelsea and City and that suits me just fine.

We have a big say in where this Title ends up, let's hope we take that opportunity.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #37: Feb 04, 2014 04:55:04 pm
      I hope BR reverts to a 4-3-3 for this one.  I'd like to see Hendo/Allen/Gerrard as our midfield 3 with Studge/Suarez/Coutinho up front, but you can make a case for Sterling instead of Cou.  I think the key to this game is going to be to keep it tight at the back and not concede.  SAS is good for at least 1 goal a game, and so if we can keep a clean sheet then we should be able to take 3 points. 
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #38: Feb 04, 2014 06:11:53 pm
      I hope BR reverts to a 4-3-3 for this one.  I'd like to see Hendo/Allen/Gerrard as our midfield 3 with Studge/Suarez/Coutinho up front, but you can make a case for Sterling instead of Cou.  I think the key to this game is going to be to keep it tight at the back and not concede.  SAS is good for at least 1 goal a game, and so if we can keep a clean sheet then we should be able to take 3 points.

An early lead will be massive for us, whether we can keep that lead is up to the attitude throughout the game. Let our heads drop, Arsenal have the capability to cause us an upset. I reckon we can beat them.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #39: Feb 04, 2014 06:29:55 pm
      you wouldn't have this weeks winning lottery numbers would you.

1,18,24,25,42 Bonus Balls 07,02 will be the Euro Millions...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #40: Feb 04, 2014 08:28:30 pm
      Just glad they are missing a few key players!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #41: Feb 04, 2014 08:55:05 pm
      Massive game. REALLY looking forward to this one. Arsenal have shown enough to be slim favorites I think. Defensively much improved, on their day arguably the best midfield in the PL, up front strikers would not be hugely concerned about (more about the guys coming from midfield). If they'd got Luis in the summer, with the way they play with one up top, would've been perfect for them. But tough sh*t - he's ours !! :)

We need the intensity to be there like it was against Everton, close them down quick and break fast. Only thing is that closing them is harder cause they are better at coping with the pressure game than the bitters cause they have better close control ball players across the middle.

Still though, City whacked them at home. They can deffo be rattled and if our front 4 are in the same form as they were in the 4-0 win, we can beat anyone.   Trick is to get them in that same form again ....
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #42: Feb 04, 2014 09:35:35 pm
      I have to say I agree with some here that dropping Coutinho for Allen would really help for this game. Need more bodies in the middle and with Suarez and Sturridge and Sterlings pace up top we have the goals. Just hope our back four play to their maximum. We can win this for sure with being at home and Gerrard getting used to his new position with every passing game. Need to watch Chamberlin, the lad had a great game against Palace.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43: Feb 04, 2014 10:01:17 pm
      If ever there was a season defining game this is it.

We need to keep it tight early on.
      We've tried counter attacking football the last two games.
      It worked at Everton, WBA figured it out at half time.

We've haven't much choice though, we can't afford to give
      the likes of Ozil and Cazorla space.

Must Win.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #44: Feb 04, 2014 10:09:55 pm
      We either win or suffer our worst defeat of the season no in between for me

If we turn up to a man and give it our best we win if we are anything but our best and give an aston Villa type performance we could be opened up and destroyed
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #45: Feb 04, 2014 10:22:37 pm
      Can't see this going well at all to be honest. Although I said that against Spurs and Everton and we ended up winning 5-0 and 4-0. :D

Coutinho has to drop out for this IMO, tuck Allen in alongside Gerrard (hopefully Brendan allows Gerrard to push up a tad as a result) and I'd play Hendo in front of them. Coutinho could be crucial off the bench too as he'll probably get a lot more space in the last 20-30 minutes or so.

Suarez LW as even though Aly is sh*te going forward he gets up there really fast so he'll still give us width when Luis goes roaming around.

Quick Reply