Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

The Liverpool/Arsenal rivalry

Read 1757 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      The Liverpool/Arsenal rivalry
      Feb 08, 2014 11:13:07 am
      In my time following Liverpool Arsenal have always been there. Every season up there with us. Winning a few titles winning a few cups always up there with us challenging for trophies sometimes depriving us of titles and vice versa. Even an epic champions league tie a couple of years ago.

However in all that time Ive never personally felt, or noticed many other reds hating Arsenal or having any gripe with them. In some ways I think theres more respect there for them then we have for any other club? Why is this?

Am I wide of the mark here or is there a healthy rivalry here that's sorted on the pitch over 90 minutes and left there?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Re: The Liverpool/Arsenal rivalry
      Reply #1: Feb 08, 2014 12:06:03 pm
      In my time following Liverpool Arsenal have always been there. Every season up there with us. Winning a few titles winning a few cups always up there with us challenging for trophies sometimes depriving us of titles and vice versa. Even an epic champions league tie a couple of years ago.

However in all that time Ive never personally felt, or noticed many other reds hating Arsenal or having any gripe with them. In some ways I think theres more respect there for them then we have for any other club? Why is this?

Am I wide of the mark here or is there a healthy rivalry here that's sorted on the pitch over 90 minutes and left there?

Me and the Mrs were in a holiday complex outside London and there was a bunch of Arsenal supporters staying there, we were in a bar there one night and there were a load of Arsenal lads in there.
      They were giving it plenty as the night wore on and I wondered what their reaction would be on hearing the scouse accent when more friends joined us.
      I remembered that game at Anfield years ago when they stole the league title off us when all we needed was a draw and they got a late goal and the rest is history, the thing is tho Bri everyone was going ballistic but actually the Arsenal supporters were mixing freely outside the ground and you would never have guessed they were from different clubs. In town later was the same, drinking shoulder to shoulder in the alehouse.
      To get back to the bar down south - I wasn't sure if the empathy was still there but when they heard the accent they were over and we had a great time.
      I think now it's just a healthy respect on account of the younger supporters on both sides not having the empathy that was there years ago.
      Couldn't imagine any kind of healthy respect with the likes of Chelsea in a million years tho Brian.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Re: The Liverpool/Arsenal rivalry
      Reply #2: Feb 08, 2014 12:07:20 pm
      Topic temporarily locked as this will definitely get confusing during the game.

Quick Reply