Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

FA Cup; Arsenal Vs Liverpool; 16th Feb 2014; 4pm

Read 18892 times
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Re: FA Cup; Arsenal Vs Liverpool; 16th Feb 2014; 4pm
      Reply #23: Feb 14, 2014 12:44:53 am
      No chance would I drop Suarez, he needs to be up there causing havoc as Arsenal's defence can't cope with our counter as seen by the 5-1 demolition last week. Triple S need to be playing together to get a result out of there but it reeks of a 1-1 draw though, I'd be happy with a replay at Anfield.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #24: Feb 14, 2014 01:13:15 am
      I'm predicting a 1-1 draw then a replay at Anfield and we give them another hammering.

You seen it on this post first.
      I would rather win or lose, not have a stinking replay.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #25: Feb 14, 2014 01:19:20 am
      5-0.

To us.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: Feb 14, 2014 01:27:45 am
      I would rather win or lose, not have a stinking replay.

For fucks sake man!!! In a season where we have had no European fixtures we can afford to have a couple more midweek games. I'd question anyone's support who wouldn't be up for an FA Cup replay at home against Arsenal of all teams ESPECIALLY after what happened last Saturday. Stinking replay my arse!
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #27: Feb 14, 2014 03:31:58 am
      For fucks sake man!!! In a season where we have had no European fixtures we can afford to have a couple more midweek games. I'd question anyone's support who wouldn't be up for an FA Cup replay at home against Arsenal of all teams ESPECIALLY after what happened last Saturday. Stinking replay my arse!

i actually wouldnt want a replay as much as the thought of it sounds soooooo darn good haha

the practical side of me is to just win at arsenal and move on.  we dont have CL this year so we have an advantage of being able to train and rest during the week.  the replay takes this advantage away from us.  plus we are entering the crucial last leg of the season... extra rest for our starting XI is critical.  especially gerrard... def dont want to risk injury in an unnecessary replay and to maximize his rest period
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #28: Feb 14, 2014 05:01:22 am
      Agger ahead of Kolo, others unchanged. Think their line-up would look something like this:

Fabianski
      Jenkinson - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Gibbs
      Flamini - Ox
      Gnabry - Rosicky - Podolski
      Bendtner
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #29: Feb 14, 2014 05:15:14 am
      Agger ahead of Kolo, others unchanged. Think their line-up would look something like this:

Fabianski
      Jenkinson - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Gibbs
      Flamini - Ox
      Gnabry - Rosicky - Podolski
      Bendtner

I'll be very surprised if Wenger fields such a weak team.  He has to look at this as a legitimate shot at ending Arsenal's trophy drought.  I think we'll see a full strength side with maybe one player like Gnabry included to add a little pace and energy. 

This is a really tricky tie in my opinion.  Arsenal have a point to prove after last weekend, and their on home turf.....  I'll be happy if we force a replay at Anfield. 
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #30: Feb 14, 2014 05:37:24 am
      I think Arsenal will field a strong lineup, how do you think it would bode for their fans if they get thrashed 5-1 to us and then Wenger fields a weak team? Lets face it they have a slim to none chance of passing through Bayern. I would think the FA Cup to finally win some trophies should be their aim. They have neither the quality depth or ability to win the CL.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #31: Feb 14, 2014 05:44:13 am
      I'll be very surprised if Wenger fields such a weak team.  He has to look at this as a legitimate shot at ending Arsenal's trophy drought.  I think we'll see a full strength side with maybe one player like Gnabry included to add a little pace and energy. 

This is a really tricky tie in my opinion.  Arsenal have a point to prove after last weekend, and their on home turf.....  I'll be happy if we force a replay at Anfield.

Word around that Wenger is planning to rest Giroud, Ozil, Cazorla, Sczhchznchney, Wilshere and Arteta. I don see their midfield as a weak one.. Rosicky, Ox & Flamini can definitely do a good job. Its only the attack where they look weak but the whole world knows Giroud deserves a rest. May be Cazorla might start and Podolski can play upfront
      « Last Edit: Feb 14, 2014 05:54:33 am by Vicks86 »
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #32: Feb 14, 2014 07:06:47 am
      Arsene Wenger expected to risk rotation for Arsenal's FA Cup fifth-round clash against Liverpool
      Manager could make as many as six changes for showdown with team that humiliated Gunners 5-1 as he keeps one eye on Champions League clash with Bayern Munich

Arsène Wenger is expected to risk rotating his squad in Arsenal’s FA Cup tie against Liverpool on Sunday ahead of the Champions League last-16 tie against Bayern Munich three days later. Although Wenger is adamant that he will be fielding a strong team for a match he is determined to win, he is likely to make up to six changes to the side that drew against Manchester United on Wednesday. Lukasz Fabianski, Nacho Monreal, Mathieu Flamini, Serge Gnabry, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lukas Podolski are all likely to return to the starting team. Nicklas Bendtner and Carl Jenkinson are also in contention, with Wenger facing major decisions over whether he picks Olivier Giroud, Mesut Özil and Per Mertesacker. All three were rested from the starting line-up for the FA Cup third-round win against Tottenham in January, although Özil and Mertesacker did return for the fourth-round defeat of Coventry City.

Wenger will be sensitive to any accusation that he is sacrificing the FA Cup at the expense of the Champions League but his team selections will be influenced by the proximity of the Liverpool game to the visit of the European champions. Although Wenger has previously always made the Premier League and the Champions League his priority, there is also an argument that the FA Cup represents his most realistic chance of silverware.

Brendan Rodgers has no such quandary, with Liverpool’s failure to qualify for Europe ensuring that the manager is free of midweek fixtures. It means that Liverpool can be at full strength on Sunday and will still have seven days to recover before their next Premier League match at home to Swansea City.

With pride at stake after Liverpool defeated Wenger’s team 5-1 at Anfield last Saturday, Wojciech Szczesny is adamant the “real” Arsenal will turn up on Sunday. “I think we got back on track with the clean sheet [against Manchester United],” he said. “We conceded five at Liverpool and it was a little bit humiliating. We’ve seen the real Arsenal over the last year – our defensive record has been amazing.”
      The Arsenal goalkeeper also dismissed any suggestion of the players being frustrated after boos rang out at the Emirates following Wednesday’s draw with United. “We are in a good position in the league, we are still in the FA Cup and the Champions League, so I don’t know what kind of frustration we should have,” said Szczesny. “We’re still there at the top of the table. We are going to push for the title. We are still confident. You’ve got a lot of quality teams. They all have different qualities Some of them [Manchester City] score a hundred goals, some [Arsenal] don’t concede at home.”
      Szczesny also believes that Liverpool’s absence from Europe is not an advantage for them. “You can also look at it as gaining experience when you play in the Champions League,” he said. “Maybe they will have more energy – but I wouldn’t swap it.”
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #33: Feb 14, 2014 07:49:19 am
      I expect Arsenal to come out firing all guns and that should give us plenty of opportunity for a counter attack. If we can get a couple of quick goals that would be enough to knock the stuffing out of Arse and Arsenal. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Feb 14, 2014 07:50:12 am
      Suarez due a few goals.

Arsenal likely to rest some players.

I'd expect us to start strong and sub the likes of Suarez and Gerrard late on.

SCORE. ALL. THE. GOALS.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #35: Feb 14, 2014 08:01:21 am
      With the momentum of the last week in mind its got to be as strong a line up as possible for me ,the team is firing at the moment and largely picking itself ,a weeks rest should be more than ample for a highly tuned footballer ,they will be after us this weekend and we dont need any dents in the morale , barring any replays we got a maximum 16 games to go this season ,we should handle that , plus a winning team always wants to play ,its only players on their downers and teams losing that dont want to play ,we have already put a shot over their bows ,now lets go and sink the c***s.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Feb 14, 2014 10:29:51 am
      I think this will be very very tricky and to be honest I'm not to bothered if we lose, my focus is on the league and securing 4th spot.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #37: Feb 14, 2014 10:52:56 am
      I think this will be very very tricky and to be honest I'm not to bothered if we lose, my focus is on the league and securing 1st spot.
      See fixed that for you.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #38: Feb 14, 2014 11:27:24 am
      Players tired and players needing a rest what a load of bollox.

Keep the momentum going and the winning mentality, our players need to keep focused for 3 months now that is all and history beckons its as simple as that.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #39: Feb 14, 2014 11:29:59 am

Plus we get to charge them ÂŁ100 a ticket as well. ;)

I will say I'm not sure what team Wenger will put out, some might say that the FA Cup is their last, best hope for a trophy this season.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #40: Feb 14, 2014 11:32:57 am
      Players tired and players needing a rest what a load of bollox.

Keep the momentum going and the winning mentality, our players need to keep focused for 3 months now that is all and history beckons its as simple as that.

Players do get tired and do need a rest, though. That's not "bollox". It's why all top clubs have large squads and quality players to come in and rotate. We don't have anywhere near the quality in reserve that Arsenal, Chelsea or City have. Probably not even Spurs.

We don't really have any choice about who we play, because if we rotate, the likes of Aspas, Alberto, Moses, Toure, Cissokho Lucas et al come in, and the team is massively weakened.

I don't know if we will play our strongest XI against Arsenal - certainly Rodgers wants to win a trophy - but I think Arsenal will rest more players than we do. Giroud will be benched and Podolski will come in, and I think we may see Ozil rested too.

It will be very interesting to watch. I have no idea how we will fare.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #41: Feb 14, 2014 11:36:39 am
      I think this will be very very tricky and to be honest I'm not to bothered if we lose, my focus is on the league and securing 4th spot.

You wouldn't be bothered if we lost? WTF have I just read?! We have F**k all else to play for other than the FA Cup and securing whatever spot in the league that guarantees us Champions League football.

Arsenal certainly won't be fielding their strongest team, they simply can't afford to do so or their Champions League tie could be all done with by half time at the Emirates next week. Arsenal won't be able to field their strongest teams for 4 straight games in the space of 11 days.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #42: Feb 14, 2014 11:57:32 am
      Cazorla out due to illness and Wenger desperate to give Ozil & Giroud a break, pretty much means it'll be

Bendtner
      Podolski - Rosicky - Gnabry
      Flamini - Ox

unless Arteta or Wilshere start in the middle and Ox plays instead of Gnabry
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #43: Feb 14, 2014 12:05:27 pm
      Cazorla out due to illness and Wenger desperate to give Ozil & Giroud a break, pretty much means it'll be

Bendtner
      Podolski - Rosicky - Gnabry
      Flamini - Ox

unless Arteta or Wilshere start in the middle and Ox plays instead of Gnabry

Arteta has looked totally shattered last few times I've seen him play, be surprised if he starts either.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #44: Feb 14, 2014 12:13:22 pm
      Players do get tired and do need a rest, though. That's not "bollox". It's why all top clubs have large squads and quality players to come in and rotate.

Our players would have had nearly 4 days rest though and I think that is enough to be considered as rested.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #45: Feb 14, 2014 12:22:49 pm

Bit tricky winning the double if we lose in the cup mate :) . I don't want to sacrifice winning the league for a good cup run, but we should be able to put out a strong side without it affecting our league form. Personally I wouldn't gamble on any player who isn't 100% fit in the cup, but I wouldn't be looking to play a weak side either.

I do understand what you mean though, I wouldn't want cup distractions to have an adverse affect on our league form. 

Quick Reply