Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Our Defensive Woes vs Our Attacking Wooooo's!

Read 6036 times
      wghennessy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Re: Our Defensive Woes vs Our Attacking Wooooo's!
      Reply #46: Feb 24, 2014 11:11:35 am
      Attack is excellent and they all bomb forward, this leaves our defence over exposed too often. We really miss Lucas to just sit and back that defence up, right now no one does the role he did before he got injured.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #47: Feb 24, 2014 11:12:15 am
      Attack is excellent and they all bomb forward, this leaves our defence over exposed too often. We really miss Lucas to just sit and back that defence up, right now no one does the role he did before he got injured.

If only Masch was still here...
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #48: Feb 24, 2014 11:26:14 am
      It's hardly surprising we're leaking goals when most of the defense is on the attack.  There were times yesterday, and yes I know we were chasing the game, where Stevie, Flanno and Glen were in and around their penalty area all at the same time.

I understand that our fb's are meant to add to the attack by providing width but Flanno was in the no.10 position with Glen slightly to the left and Stevie at the byline inside the box.

Anyway who cares we won, we're still 4th just 4 points off top.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #49: Feb 24, 2014 11:27:24 am
      I don't like having to score 4 goals against Swansea at home to get 3 points.

Well, we got 3 points so I can't complain that much.

It seems every time we play like that I go into a big game thinking "We're going to get found out" and we just boss the match.

I've had all the usual sh*t in work today about being a two man team, especially from the Bitter Blues that don't like looking up and seeing glorious red.

"You've got an average midfield"

"Without Suarez & Sturridge, you'd be bottom half"

Just looking at our 6 forward players

Goals      Assists   
      Gerrard       7              9
      Suarez        23             9
      Henderson  3               6
      Sturridge   18              5
      Coutinho    3               4
      Sterling      5               3

59 goals and 36 assists between 6 forward players is amazing, considering weā€™re a two man team I count 18 goals and 22 assists not even including Suarez and Sturridgeā€¦.  Thatā€™s top 4 stats.  Of course Iā€™ve got my rose tinted glasses on.

Everybody hates the ā€œIf you didnā€™t have them playing youā€™d be bottomā€ tosh - it's a stick that's been used to beat us with for a few years now.  Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, Torres.... 

Truth is, we got the players in, we've developed a system to get the most out of them, they've benefitted from it and weā€™re not bottom half.

Every great team through the years had one or two stand out genius players that grabbed the headlines, the sad fact here is that if we didn't have such a terrible injury record with our defenders and no solid back 4 all season weā€™d be top by probably 4-6 points.

We might not find it easy to keep a clean sheet but one stat I rather like (alongside only dropping 5 points at home all season) is that no team has put more than 3 past us under Rodgers...  And when they have (Stoke, Swansea, Everton) - we've still won or got points.

Riding our luck though, no hiding from that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #50: Feb 24, 2014 11:41:56 am
      "Without Suarez & Sturridge, you'd be bottom half"

Yeah but we do have them,
      so let your colleagues F**k off.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #51: Feb 24, 2014 12:42:05 pm
      Imagine how many goals our attack would score against our defence? Thats probably why our attack are so confident, they spend all week hammering in goals galore in training!

;-)
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #52: Feb 24, 2014 02:02:12 pm
      Someone offer Steve Clarke a new job as defensive coach.

Can't be any worse than the current one.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #53: Feb 24, 2014 07:07:49 pm
      We are the best team in the league & maybe one of the worst at the same time.

The best offensively

The worst defensively

First off I dont necessarily disagree with you, but is it the case? Or are we all just been super dramatic because our attack is so superfluous to our defence? As I said in my opening post, the avg of the top 10 goals conceded is 30.5. 5 goals over average is fairly bad but is it as bad as we think?

I think Migs needs to start coming and winning some balls. Command the area until Sakho gets back cause I think he will be the leader we are missing aswell. Toure for instance was saying all the right things when he came on "calm down, cool heads" etc etc... only thing about him is he shits himself when he gets it so its no use saying it to others...
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #54: Feb 24, 2014 08:05:55 pm
      As the saying goes,"you can't have your cake and eat it!
      Our attack is world class, our defence is like a black hole, we can't see them but we know they must exist!

Quick Reply