Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Pre-Match: Southampton V Liverpool - March 1st 2014 (5:30PM)

Read 18709 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Re: Pre-Match: Southampton V Liverpool - March 1st 2014 (5:30PM)
      Reply #92: Feb 27, 2014 06:50:01 pm
      Toughest game away til the end of the season imo.

Totally agree. Although our defence is subject to continued individual errors, I don't think we'll see as many in one game as we did against the swans. That in itself gives me more hope that usual.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #93: Feb 27, 2014 07:28:51 pm
      Tracking back is admirable but it only amounts to making up for a mistake you shouldn't have made in the first place, in other words that space shouldn't be left there in the first place because it leaves us too exposed. Look at Gerrard in his prime, he had boundless energy and not inconsiderable pace but he also had better judgement on when to make those runs than Henderson does. Furthermore, it's not like Henderson makes a difference with his forward runs week-in, week-out. He may have scored two goals last week but it had been 400 and odd days since his last goal. Is that really a good return on the exposure to counter attacks he's responsible for? By extension, when a team shuts up shop and camps in its own half, is Henderson going to split their defence apart with a killer pass? Will Allen? Neither as frequently as Coutinho will. But like I said, all this is an academic argument because there's very little chance Brendan will field a changed team from the Swansea game. He likes to keep things settled.

Just because he doesn't score does not mean it does not make a difference. Runs cause a shift in the defense and causes the team to opposition to communicate which could be a mistake. It also opens up holes and gaps in the defense. Runs are not always meant to score goals, it serves a dual purpose. Henderson will learn with experience when to make runs and when to be ready for a counter. But he hustles his ass off nonstop if he makes a run and has to track back.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Southampton Vs Liverpool; 1st March 2014; 17;30
      Reply #94: Feb 27, 2014 07:36:36 pm
      Tracking back is admirable but it only amounts to making up for a mistake you shouldn't have made in the first place, in other words that space shouldn't be left there in the first place because it leaves us too exposed. Look at Gerrard in his prime, he had boundless energy and not inconsiderable pace but he also had better judgement on when to make those runs than Henderson does. Furthermore, it's not like Henderson makes a difference with his forward runs week-in, week-out. He may have scored two goals last week but it had been 400 and odd days since his last goal. Is that really a good return on the exposure to counter attacks he's responsible for? By extension, when a team shuts up shop and camps in its own half, is Henderson going to split their defence apart with a killer pass? Will Allen? Neither as frequently as Coutinho will. But like I said, all this is an academic argument because there's very little chance Brendan will field a changed team from the Swansea game. He likes to keep things settled.
      You don't have to make a mistake to have to track back. If you are a midfielder and get forward,  have a shot saved you have to track back,  but a shot on target isn't a mistake. Personally,  I think Henderson tracks back fine sometimes,  but sometimes when Gerrard is playing Henderson tends to let Gerrard do a bit more of the dirty work.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #95: Feb 27, 2014 07:39:58 pm
      Totally agree. Although our defence is subject to continued individual errors, I don't think we'll see as many in one game as we did against the swans. That in itself gives me more hope that usual.
      I personally think that the away game against Manchester United will be harder than Southampton.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #96: Feb 27, 2014 08:39:58 pm
      I just found out about the England v Denmark game on the 5th. It looks like we got lucky.  It's just 11 days without football for our players and not 15 and we get to reschedule at a more convenient time. I was a bit worried about match fitness when I thought it was 15 days without football.  Our rivals aren't so lucky, especially man city who have international break, league cup,  fa cup, champions league and then an away league game  all within 2 weeks.

International break never serves us well. We always seem to get a lucky draw or a deserved defeat straight after it.
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #97: Feb 27, 2014 08:44:30 pm
      We have to take the game to Southampton from the word go! Defence needs to be better than recent weeks with Lambert about.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #98: Feb 27, 2014 10:15:10 pm
      Since the Fulham game, am looking at the teams ahead rather than ones behind.

Saints are a tough side to beat, particularly at home. Some good players, and on a good day when they click can be very tough ask.

And as we are now already in the 4th spot with a bit of a gap, you could forgive BR for going out a bit defensve, maybe with a bit of a 'hold what we have' mentality.

But F**k me, I'm pretty confident that BR will send the lads out all guns blazing, attack, create chances, playing fast exciting stuff.  He'll be looking to chase the leaders down and all credit to him for that. Think he has the players believing, really believing. And have to say I can't recall a more exciting, promising, enjoyable season watching us play in a long, long time.

Can't wait, brimming with confidence. No reason why we can't go out there, score some more goals, and take all 3 points!!!!!!! CMON YOU REDMEN!!!!!!!!! :)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #99: Feb 27, 2014 11:03:17 pm
      This one does really worry me - we can win and comfortably but we have to be a lot less scrappy in possession than against Swansea.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #100: Feb 27, 2014 11:58:54 pm
      I personally think that the away game against Manchester United will be harder than Southampton.

Southampton believe in what they do, and always try to keep the ball on the ground, play pass and move football, and press the opposition hard. It might not always pay dividends, and they are currently a bit off the boil, but win lose or draw, they always play with confidence and belief. Utd on the other hand, are playing scared, confidence torn to shreds. When they are able to beat lowly Crystal Palace and declare they are on the mend, and it was a terrific boost to the team, and something for them to build on, F.F.S that's the talk of a relegation threatened side.
      We get an early goal against them, then see them crumble. Panic will set in and it could be a record goals tally conceded for them, and total humiliation. Can't F***ing wait to be honest.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #101: Feb 28, 2014 06:17:03 am
      The more I've thought about this game, the more I've started to fancy our chances. Southampton will want to attack as they're at home, and this suits us better than when a team parks the bus.
      They will crowd the midfield, but with the pace we have up front we should be able to get in behind with a few through balls.
      I can see us conceding a couple, but ultimately our fire power up front should be the difference. Suarez will be desperate to end his drought, I expect a big game from him as always.
      4-2 Liverpool.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #102: Feb 28, 2014 06:23:59 am
      Tbh I fancy us to win every match we play and have the same slight element of doubt before each game, no matter how the other teams form is or their reputation.
      So I wouldn't get too apprehensive, just believe we'll win.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #103: Feb 28, 2014 11:06:37 am
      Chelsea went there and put in a great performance and won 3-0. We need to do the same, we are of course our own worst enemy at the moment. I have said it before, I think we will win 9-8.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #104: Feb 28, 2014 02:44:59 pm
      I hope that Rodgers doesn't go messing with the MF and leave it at Couthinho Gerrard Hendo .
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,504 posts | 3455 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #105: Feb 28, 2014 04:01:16 pm
      I hope that Rodgers doesn't go messing with the MF and leave it at Couthinho Gerrard Hendo .

tempted to play Allen instead of Sterling, nothing against the way the lad's playing but Southampton are pretty strong in mf.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #106: Feb 28, 2014 04:42:02 pm
      As we all know Southampton are a good team who play football the right way and always give us a hard game. It'll be a tight close game but think we'll come away with 3 points. I agree with playing Allen instead of Sterling. Hopefully Suarez ends his drought by getting a couple.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #107: Feb 28, 2014 04:50:18 pm
      A draw isn't a bad result. Southampton are a team that matches up with us well in every position. A burly forward, an aggressive and technically sound midfield, and decent centerbacks.

I do think they're vulnerable on the counter, and that's where Brendan may look to hit them. I hope Stevie is up and focused for this one, as he'll be needed to control Lallana.

I'm going 2-1 to the Redmen, with Suarez bagging them both. I'll be in San Francisco this weekend but I'll be watching nonetheless!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #108: Feb 28, 2014 05:13:55 pm
      A draw isn't a bad result. Southampton are a team that matches up with us well in every position. A burly forward, an aggressive and technically sound midfield, and decent centerbacks.

I do think they're vulnerable on the counter, and that's where Brendan may look to hit them. I hope Stevie is up and focused for this one, as he'll be needed to control Lallana.

I'm going 2-1 to the Redmen, with Suarez bagging them both. I'll be in San Francisco this weekend but I'll be watching nonetheless!
      a draw is a terrible result if we're serious about going for the title.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #109: Feb 28, 2014 05:16:12 pm
      Don't like this fixture, unlucky ground for us is St Marys, the last time we won there was back in 2003. But still going for a 1-3 win.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #110: Feb 28, 2014 05:16:37 pm
      a draw is a terrible result if we're serious about going for the title.

Don't think kevinho mentioned the title.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,661 posts | 7152 
      Reply #111: Feb 28, 2014 06:37:02 pm
      play to our strengths so you have to pick Luis, Daniel , Raheem and Phillipe I have a feeling a certain striker will be chomping his way through this one.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #112: Feb 28, 2014 06:52:16 pm
      Since 23rd November, in games against some of the teams in the top 7 their results have been the following:

Arsenal (A) - Loss
      Chelsea (A) - Loss
      Man City (H) - Draw
      Spurs (H) - Loss
      Everton (A) - Loss
      Arsenal (H) - Draw
      Chelsea (H) - Loss

Their record is shocking. Only collecting 2 points from a possible 21.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #113: Feb 28, 2014 08:38:15 pm
      Don't think kevinho mentioned the title.

Indeed. The title would be great but it's not like getting a draw at the home of a team that beat us at Anfield would be a terrible result. Given the context a draw would be OK, and it'd be one point better than what we got there last year.

Southampton have been all over us the last two times we've played them. Their playing style and strengths match up very well against our weaknesses. Our away form has also been spotty at best throughout the season.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #114: Feb 28, 2014 08:47:15 pm
      Don't like this fixture, unlucky ground for us is St Marys, the last time we won there was back in 2003. But still going for a 1-3 win.

I suppose we all thought the same thing 24hrs before the game at White Hart Lane Gareth and look what happened...it's been games like that one that has installed new found belief in us all this season, belief that on any given day we can beat anyone.. I admit St Mary's can be a sucker punch of a ground if we're not careful but as I said earlier I just think we'll be too much for them over the 90 mins.. our hunger will starve them..
      I think BR will be careful..and opt for the Allen addition to MF to strengthen the pack in place of Raheem..no disrespect to Sterling but at least it gives us a plan B should we need it later in the game..

Since 23rd November, in games against some of the teams in the top 7 their results have been the following:

Arsenal (A) - Loss
      Chelsea (A) - Loss
      Man City (H) - Draw
      Spurs (H) - Loss
      Everton (A) - Loss
      Arsenal (H) - Draw
      Chelsea (H) - Loss

Their record is shocking. Only collecting 2 points from a possible 21.

Was gonna mention those exact games myself mate..
      Tottenham had an extra pair of legs on the day with their new manager on the touchline and a rejuvenated Adabyour back up front.
      I noticed when Chelsea beat them 3-0 all 3 of their goals came in the last half hour...
      Saying that, the majority of our wins this season have been gouged out in the first half hour and Southampton will be fully aware of that which is why when those chances fall at Sturridge & Suarez's feet(which they will do) in the first 5/10 minutes we need to be burying them to take the pressure off.
      The result of this game will determine mine and this whole forums mood over the next 10 days..I REALLY hope we win as the thought of logging on to read rants about what player should've done WHAT,WHERE,WHEN AND WHY during the game is not something I'm looking forward too..
      If and its a big if, we come away with nothing tomorrow i'm NOT gonna give up on these lads.. They've been fantastic and have lifted the club,fans and the city and BR has given us all new belief that we CAN achieve..so , give us the same attitude like the FA cup game at Arsenal and we'll be too much for Southampton..I have every faith in every player..

Oh, and I agree with WaltonL4 , a certain Luis Suarez is gonna bust the onion bag again very soon...not scoring must be doing his head in ;D

See you all after the game for either "Post match Delights" or "Post match Frustration" ;)

I'm gonna go for a cheeky 2-1 win.. toughy but I think we'll do it...

Are we playing in White or Purple dya think?.. Purple I'd say?.. Been lucky for us that kit this year !! :)

YNWA  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Quick Reply