Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Our second half performances

Read 5436 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,655 posts | 3889 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Our second half performances
      Reply #23: Sep 18, 2013 10:20:25 am
      Game finished 5-2, we were boss!

Oh wait....

Bolt on some of that U21 second have and we're sorted.
      Sterling and Alberto particularly.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #24: Sep 18, 2013 11:28:29 am
      really don't think it's tactical, just a lack of legs and also composure at times, the second half was where we missed Carra to push them out.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,334 posts | 4960 
      Reply #25: Sep 18, 2013 01:14:16 pm
      I think going into half time in all our league games comfortably being the better side and leading is playing a part in our poor, more defensive second half displays.

Some of it is in the players minds I feel.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #26: Sep 18, 2013 10:14:00 pm
      Feel sitting back in the second half, only a single goal up, could prove costly and lose us vital league points. Which in turn could affect the side's chances of a Champion's league spot. Also do not think the defence is good enough to defend for 45 minutes against the top sides. Very risky tactics and nerve racking to watch is my honest opinion.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #27: Sep 19, 2013 08:51:51 am
      hopeful against Southampton we play for full 90 mins, l don't care how we play 3 points main thing
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 291 posts | 29 
      Reply #28: Sep 20, 2013 11:19:49 am
      It must be some kinda record that we haven't scored in the 2nd half of any PL match this season (but still top the table)
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #29: Sep 20, 2013 03:09:09 pm
      BR on our drop in form in the 2nd half of games “We have sat down this week and looked at that. You can want to win too much, but our game has to be about not being fearful and expressing ourselves.
      “I will always respect brave, courageous players.
      Even if they make a mistake I will always support them if they are trying to do the right thing. I have always done that.
      “To continue to get on the ball, to pass, move and open up the pitch is important. We have shown we are a force when we do that.” Rodgers doesn’t believe the drop in performance level is linked to fitness, and added:
      “It is more of a mental than physical thing for me. A few weeks ago we were saying how fit all the players looked. Their condition is fine.
      “But sitting back is natural sometimes. We just
      need to make sure that we take calculated risks in a game because that is what gets us in front in the first place.
      “The quality of our football is there, the pitch opens up, we pass and press the ball well, so we have to continue to do that throughout the game.
      “Of course there comes a point when you have to close things up and see the game through, and that is something I am sure we can improve on.
      “Against Manchester United we dropped too deep, too quickly. Even though we looked comfortable that was not the type of game we want to play.
      “And against Swansea we were very good in the
      first half but were not how I expected us to be in
      the second half. After Coutinho went off we went too deep, too early.”
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #30: Sep 20, 2013 03:31:48 pm
      BR on our drop in form in the 2nd half of games “We have sat down this week and looked at that. You can want to win too much, but our game has to be about not being fearful and expressing ourselves.
      Even if they make a mistake I will always support them if they are trying to do the right thing. I have always done that.
      “To continue to get on the ball, to pass, move and open up the pitch is important. We have shown we are a force when we do that.” Rodgers doesn’t believe the drop in performance level is linked to fitness, and added:
      “It is more of a mental than physical thing for me. A few weeks ago we were saying how fit all the players looked. Their condition is fine.
      need to make sure that we take calculated risks in a game because that is what gets us in front in the first place.
      “The quality of our football is there, the pitch opens up, we pass and press the ball well, so we have to continue to do that throughout the game.
      “Of course there comes a point when you have to close things up and see the game through, and that is something I am sure we can improve on.
      “Against Manchester United we dropped too deep, too quickly. Even though we looked comfortable that was not the type of game we want to play.

Agree with every single word he says there, of course it's much easier to say how to fix it than actually do it.

Mentality is probably the hardest thing to change in a player because often they're acting on instinct rather than clear thought processes, will be very intrigued if we can start to bring out the brave/courageous side in some of the lads or if in fact they'll need replacing. It's nice to be in the position where we can begin to find out who can develop the winning mentality and who simply falls by the wayside though.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,655 posts | 3889 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: Sep 20, 2013 03:35:50 pm

Brendan's comments would suggest the drop is tactical rather than physical/tiredness.
      So we deliberately dropped off in the second half of both United and Swansea games.

"Too deep, too soon" (Matron)

Hopefully that is the case.
      It would be a lot more worrying if it was a case of overtraining and tiring in the second half of games.
      I think some of it is tiredness and, in the case of Sturridge and Moses' pressing game, lack of fitness.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #32: Sep 22, 2013 09:56:07 pm
      We probably tire so much in games because we spend most of the second half chasing shadows.
      If we are dropping too deep too soon, why isn't Brendan screaming his lungs out on the touch line getting it sorted.
      He seemed happy with the situation during the games, so makes me feel it was a tactic being deployed rather than instinct.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #33: Sep 23, 2013 01:21:41 am
      The problem is if we don't score early, we can't score. Reason for that, is that we don't have enough quality in the creative areas. Lucas doesn't provide us any attacking threat, Henderson doesn't provide loads of creativity and there's no options off of the bench that are good enough to crack open opposition defences late in the game.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,334 posts | 4960 
      Reply #34: Sep 23, 2013 11:43:04 pm
      The problem is if we don't score early, we can't score.

Been a problem for a long long time that one.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #35: Oct 30, 2013 10:56:20 am
      West Brom has to be our best 2nd half performance this season, BR said he told his players to push the tempo all game and not just from the beginning and it worked. Lets hope we now continue with this mantra and with a bit of squad rotation we have the legs in the middle to do this for a full 90.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #36: Oct 30, 2013 11:00:39 am
      should play second halfs first !
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #37: Mar 10, 2014 04:32:54 pm
      This is working on the basis that each game restarts the scoreline to 0-0 at half time. So if for example we’re winning 3-0 at half time but the match ends 3-2, then it’ll result in the first half winning 3-0 but the second half losing 0-2 – so essentially there’s six points available per match as opposed three.

1st half of matches v 2nd half of matches

First half; Played 28
      Second half; Played 28

First half; Won 19
      Second half; Won 11

First half; Drew 5
      Second half; Drew 9

First half; Lost 4
      Second half; Lost 8

First half; Scored 47
      Second half; Scored 26

First half; Conceded 16