Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Pre Match: Liverpool vs Sunderland - Wed 26th March 2014, K.O. 20:00

Read 16657 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool vs Sunderland - Wed 26th March 2014, K.O. 20:00
      Reply #115: Mar 26, 2014 11:39:28 am
      Cant wait hun.......I have been at every home game this season, wow, how lucky am I that Ive been there to witness some of the best football we've ever played 8)

Ive got Jon's ticket so he has no choice but to meet me.....pmsl xxx

Lucky man.

little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #116: Mar 26, 2014 11:50:38 am
      8 hours to go. Dunno how I'm gonna last!! I know it's only Sunderland, without trying to disrespect them, but Jesus I am up for this one!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-0kWG-G2Bc
      MsGerrard
      Reply #117: Mar 26, 2014 11:51:54 am
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #118: Mar 26, 2014 11:58:12 am
      With Brendan asking for 'added' support, How good is this.

Liverpool have “eight Cup Finals” remaining this season – five of which are at home. The role of the Anfield crowd cannot be underestimated in what could be a historic end to the season. Make Us Dream.

Liverpool fans on the Spion Kop create another magical European night atmosphere before the UEFA Champions League clash with Real Madrid in 2009. (Photo by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Speaking ahead of Wednesday’s visit of Sunderland, Brendan Rodgers said:

“Hopefully the supporters can really get behind the team well before kick-off, get the atmosphere revved up for the game and we’ll look to continue on this great run.”

Rodgers, who was at Anfield in 2005 when the Reds overcame Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final, will no doubt be recalling the famous Anfield atmosphere that has inspired many a famous victory in the past, and could be vital in the run-in, giving The Reds the advantage.

Fans are often labelled the “twelfth man” but as these quotes below explain, the Anfield crowd really have played a key role in previous famous occasions.

Bill Shankly was a fervent advocate of the powers of Anfield, a place which he was proud to call home, placing the famous ‘This Is Anfield sign above the tunnel, saying: “It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for, and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against.”

Let’s begin with the 3-1 European Cup Semi Final, First Leg win over Inter Milan in 1965:

“The Italians thought they had heard noise in the San Siro I can tell you they had never experienced anything like the noise from the Anfield fans as the cup was carried round. When we heard the crowd I could understand how intimidating it was for the Italians. But it gave us a great lift. People talk about the atmosphere at the St Etienne game, when David Fairclough was the hero, and Istanbul, but that night against Inter Milan was something special.”

- Tommy Smith (speaking in 2008)

The aforementioned win against St. Etienne, in a 1977 European Cup Semi Final, Second Leg is often attributed as one of the best atmospheres in the club’s history:

“For me it was the greatest atmosphere I ever played in. Older supporters will talk about the Inter Milan and Celtic games in the sixties, but there was no doubt in my mind that St Etienne was the best. There was a sense of anticipation about the game and it hit home when we heard that there were thousands of fans gathering around the ground early in the morning, never mind late afternoon. It was a real pressure game and the supporters played their part.

- Joey Jones (speaking in 2007)

Here are more quotes that prove the power of the Anfield crowd, they speak for themselves:

Chelsea, 2005

Kop, pre-match, Champions League semi-final 2005. Photo: David Rawcliffe/Propaganda.

One of Liverpool’s most famed atmosphere’s occurred in the Champions League semi-final, second leg against Chelsea in 2005.

“The atmosphere from the word go was electric and with the early goal everybody just seemed to explode at the same time. It was unbelievable the support they gave us and I think everyone who was at the ground on Tuesday will remember it for a long time.”

– Dietmar Hamann

“The crowd were fantastic, there was no way I could have run like that for 96 minutes if I hadn’t been feeding off the crowd.”

– John Arne Riise

“Liverpool’s fans definitely intimidated Chelsea at Anfield… I want to thank the fans for playing such a big part in helping us reach the final.”

– Xabi Alonso

“That atmosphere was better than anything I’ve known and I’ve been involved in some great nights recently. The games against Roma, Juventus and Olympiakos were unbelievable, but that was something else…there’s none better than our fans or Anfield on a European night”

– Jamie Carragher

“At the end I felt like jumping in and celebrating with the fans. They’re the best in the country by a mile and I just hope they enjoy the final as much as they have this evening.”

– Steven Gerrard

“When I was coach of Valencia, we played Celtic in the UEFA Cup and the atmosphere was great but this was even better. I will never forget this game. It was good on television but when you are in the ground, hearing it, it’s fantastic.”

- Rafa Benitez

“I felt the power of Anfield, it was magnificent.”

- Jose Mourinho

“I have never heard anything like it before and I don’t think I ever will again. It is the best atmosphere I’ve ever played in.

“I walked out into that cauldron and heard that singing and saw that passion. The hairs on my arms were standing up. To see a spectacle like that is inspiring to anyone.

“I just kept looking around, trying to take it all in. I wasn’t daunted by it, but it was amazing. I wish more crowds were like that.

“Apart from the volume, it looked spectacular, too. In the seconds before the referee blew his whistle for the start of the match, the whole stadium let out this great long roar as if they were going to power Liverpool to victory.”

- John Terry, writing in his autobiography

“I have refereed at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Manchester United and Arsenal. But I’ve never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. It was incredible.”

– Referee, Lubos Michel

Other Opponents:

Thierry Henry:

“I love it when you step out of the dressing-room and you see the Kop, the scarves, and [hear people] singing You’ll Never Walk Alone. Just that, that would do it for me.”

Ryan Giggs:

“You could be playing against an average Liverpool team and it would still be one of the toughest games of the season, just because the crowd drive them on and the tradition between the two clubs.”

Fabio Capello, on atmosphere vs Juventus, 2005:

“The fantastic atmosphere at Anfield was like an electric shock for Liverpool’s players, who started the match at an astonishing tempo. They seemed unstoppable.”

With five home games to go, including potential title-deciders against rivals Manchester City and Chelsea, Liverpool fans will be out in full force to provide more influence and inspiration for their team.
       Prior to the Sunderland game, Liverpool fans will be meeting on Anfield Road at 6pm to welcome the team coach, and getting in the ground early – bring your flags, scarves, banners and best vocal chords.

Thanks for sharing. +1

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #119: Mar 26, 2014 12:03:00 pm
      Poyet;

"Liverpool would be mod table without Suarez."

"I hope Suarez gets ill tonight."

Well Gus, I did like you. Now I hope you get Brighton'd again.

What type of manager is this? Hoping for an opposition player to fall ill. I'm speechless, this guy has no professionalism at all. Whatever last gram of respect I have for him has now all gone.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #120: Mar 26, 2014 12:09:06 pm
      Can't wait for this one!!  I think we're going to steamroll them!!  They may well score 1 or 2, but the way we've been playing we will hit 5 or 6 :)

On a side note, I was a little disappointed that the scum couldn't take anything off City, but it was still fun to watch them get punked on in their own house!!
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #121: Mar 26, 2014 12:09:54 pm
      What type of manager is this? Hoping for an opposition player to fall ill. I'm speechless, this guy has no professionalism at all. Whatever last gram of respect I have for him has now all gone.

Poyet also said recently the only way to stop Toure is to "shoot him".

Now, I'm not 100% certain, but I have a feeling that he wasn't really suggesting the premediated murder of a professional footballer from a rival team, so maybe just calm down a bit?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #122: Mar 26, 2014 12:49:19 pm

I'm sure he said that tongue in cheek, at least I bloody well hope so.

In any case lets go out and tear this lot a new one. I'm wanting and kind of predicting a huge score to us.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #123: Mar 26, 2014 12:52:15 pm
      Liverpool have never lost to Sunderland at Anfield in the Premier League. Their last league defeat at home to the Wearsiders came in October 1983.
      Liverpool have won six successive matches and they are yet to lose in the Premier League this calendar year.

BBC Sport Factoids.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #124: Mar 26, 2014 01:11:01 pm
      Let's forget about Poyet, not worth wasting my time. I hope we don't play the way we did against Cardiff in the first half. I hope we can get 2 goals in the first 1/2 hour, draw them out of their shell and then blitzkrieg them. Let's not underestimate them, they are lying 3rd from the bottom and with 2 games in hand fighting for survival and they will go all out to get a draw and we need to go all out to ensure it won't be the case.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #125: Mar 26, 2014 01:11:01 pm
      So here's my question....who is Borini pulling for tonight? ;D
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #126: Mar 26, 2014 01:12:49 pm
      I dont care how we win. Just win. NOthing else matters.
      This is the most important match of the last few years. After we win the next one will be the most important match of the last few years. And the the next.... COYR!

On a side note, i rate Poyet very highly and will hate to see his team put to the sword by us, but, what the hell, lets put 5 past them!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #127: Mar 26, 2014 01:24:31 pm

Himself.
      Well he's nothing else to do.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #128: Mar 26, 2014 01:35:38 pm

F**k this. I read the original interwiew, and DIDNT hope Luis got ill. He was asked how to stop Luis and he (joking) said the ONLY way to stop him was if he got ill the night before.
      SO he was just paying luis a compliment, as in, the only way to control him is if he didnt play.

Get a grip and dont trust all the media feeds you.

Original interviwe, in spanish for whoever cares to read

http://www.elobservador.com.uy/noticia/274692/como-paras-a-suarez-34que-esta-noche-se-agarre-una-gripe34/

Poyet has been Luis greatest defender in ENgland so, shut it, he is a great guy.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #129: Mar 26, 2014 01:37:04 pm

He won't play will he if he's only out on loan??

Anyway that's me outta here and offski to the Holy ground.......Anfield Bound !!

Come on you mighy reds !!

Poyet saying Liverpool would only be a mid table team without Suarez !!! Pfft !! We'll show you mate !!!

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #130: Mar 26, 2014 01:38:47 pm
      He won't play will he if he's only out on loan??

Anyway that's me outta here and offski to the Holy ground.......Anfield Bound !!

Come on you mighy reds !!

Poyet saying Liverpool would only be a mid table team without Suarez !!! Pfft !! We'll show you mate !!!

read my post in the "Anfield next 5 games thread" and do as I say  :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #131: Mar 26, 2014 01:44:38 pm
      Himself.

;D

Surely he'll be cheering every goal we score?.....
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #132: Mar 26, 2014 01:52:03 pm

I read the original interview, and he didnt say that exactly that way. English media is sh*te ;)

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #133: Mar 26, 2014 01:57:00 pm
      F**k this. I read the original interwiew, and DIDNT hope Luis got ill. He was asked how to stop Luis and he (joking) said the ONLY way to stop him was if he got ill the night before.
      SO he was just paying luis a compliment, as in, the only way to control him is if he didnt play.

Get a grip and dont trust all the media feeds you.

Original interviwe, in spanish for whoever cares to read

http://www.elobservador.com.uy/noticia/274692/como-paras-a-suarez-34que-esta-noche-se-agarre-una-gripe34/

Poyet has been Luis greatest defender in ENgland so, shut it, he is a great guy.

Chill man, not need to be overly emotional. Is Poyet related to you or something???
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #134: Mar 26, 2014 01:57:43 pm
      Himself.

With the girlfriend he has, he doesn't need to. She is unreal!  :o :jackoff:

Sunderland fans love Borini by the looks of it too.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #135: Mar 26, 2014 02:22:27 pm
      With the girlfriend he has, he doesn't need to. She is unreal!  :o :jackoff:

Sunderland fans love Borini by the looks of it too.

Not sure how they'd react to that happening in the stands, but hey we can try the "Crazy Italian" defense.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #136: Mar 26, 2014 02:37:17 pm
      Not sure how they'd react to that happening in the stands, but hey we can try the "Crazy Italian" defense.

;D After all, it is the same guy who compared pizza to sex haha
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #137: Mar 26, 2014 02:40:59 pm
      The game will be over at half time....we'll be 4-0 up by then...
      We need goals and more goals to keep our difference over the others as this could prove really crucial in May...
      Another ridiculous score line of 7-1 I'm going for...

God I'm feeling good today !!! ;D

Quick Reply