Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match vs Spurs

Simon Mignolet
      (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0.6%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (2.3%)
      Daniel Agger
      (0.6%)
      Jon Flanagan
      (11.7%)
      Steven Gerrard (c)
      (1.8%)
      Jordan Henderon
      (5.3%)
      Phillipe Coutinho
      (9.9%)
      Raheem Sterling
      (52%)
      Luis Suarez
      (15.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      (0%)
      Joe Allen (sub)
      (0%)
      Lucas Leiva (sub)
      (0%)
      Victor Moses (sub)
      (0%)

Liverpool 4 - 0 Tottenham: In Game & Post Game Celebrations

Read 33339 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 0 Tottenham: In Game & Post Game Celebrations
      Reply #644: Mar 31, 2014 12:48:27 am
      Well I'm F***ing smiling again.

Words can't explain how happy I am. Spent too many nights dreaming of seeing us win the League and this year it's coming true
      pap0169
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 49 posts |
      Reply #645: Mar 31, 2014 12:51:39 am
      Last time we scored 48 goals at home was 1987/8 when we scored 49 (Still 3 matches left at home)
      Last time we scored 40 or more away goals 1989/90 (We still have 3 away matches left)
      Last time we scored 88 goals or more 1985/6 (and we still have 6 games left)
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #646: Mar 31, 2014 01:06:01 am
      Absolutely loving every minute this season. People still don't want to admit that we might win it. They still make City favourites, just. I couldn't give a sh*t about who they make favourites, doesn't affect us.

Next game, West Ham. Has the potential to be tricky, but I, like the team and BR go into every game now thinking we're gona win 4, 5 or 6-0.

If we beat them, it's not a given that City and Chelsea will both win. Both at home, yes, but Stoke beat Chelsea earlier this season, and Southampton will go to City with no pressure and play freely. I think one of them will drop points again.

4 ahead of City, we must make sure that the gap remains at least 4 points going into the City game. If we come out of that game 7 points ahead of them, it becomes so much more real.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #647: Mar 31, 2014 02:00:10 am
      Phenomenal performance, a joy to watch.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #648: Mar 31, 2014 02:05:23 am
      One thing really stood out for me in this game. Right before Coutinho's goal, Spurs were pressing us in our own end and instead of hoofing it, Migs decided to play it through from the back. At that moment I remembered seeing a video, don't know if it was one Brendan showed during one of his long interviews or where I saw it but it showcased how Barca turn pressure like that into an attack for them by being patient, taking chances and playing it out from the back. As the ball made its way to Flanno and he turned, I looked at my wife and said "Watch this, look how they've drawn so many of Tottenhams players back and now they've turned around, this will end in a goal". And I'll be damned if they didn't do just that. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I'd be willing to wager that Brendan will pick out that passage of play for future highlights. There were a few times during the game when I would have sworn I was watching Barca play...except our players actually have toughness and steel.  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Poses a real question to anyone who wants to come and press us high up. Do they commit or do they sit back? It's also the variety of goals scored (dead ball situations, counter attack, long ball etc) that is so impressive which must make it absolute murder for opposition scouts (and indeed us the fans!) to decipher. We're a proper enigma to them and it's all the more remarkable (and that is the word) considering many complained in recent years that we didn't have a plan b and all this AND that these players had to have these styles drilled into them. I'm at a loss as to how Rodgers has done it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #649: Mar 31, 2014 03:49:07 am
      I'll say 4-0.

Come on lads! Get it done. Three points is all its about.

Thanks boys!

That was so easy. I felt bad for the Spurs fans who traveled to see their team play but all they got was 11 men walking around chasing shadows.

Cant pick a MOTM - nearly everyone played terrific. Delighted to see Coutinho get his reward, Suarez was his usual self and Sterling was absolutely outstanding.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #650: Mar 31, 2014 04:01:03 am
      Poses a real question to anyone who wants to come and press us high up. Do they commit or do they sit back? It's also the variety of goals scored (dead ball situations, counter attack, long ball etc) that is so impressive which must make it absolute murder for opposition scouts (and indeed us the fans!) to decipher. We're a proper enigma to them and it's all the more remarkable (and that is the word) considering many complained in recent years that we didn't have a plan b and all this AND that these players had to have these styles drilled into them. I'm at a loss as to how Rodgers has done it.
      I can understand how BR has done it. I'm more in a loss that he got it done. To get a whole LFC system ticking in sync, has to go up for the Manager of the Season.
      But still we ain't won nothing yet. But damn BR's making me Dream.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #651: Mar 31, 2014 06:57:06 am
      Prior to the game David Maddock wrote:

Our man David Maddock has filed this ahead of the game:

You have to hand it to Brendan Rodgers, he's not going to die wondering.

The safe option here, with top spot at stake against a Spurs side likely to flood midfield, would be to retain Joe Allen and press hard in the middle.

The Reds boss has never done safe though, and there is nothing but admiration for the fact he has boldly stated his belief his attacking players are better than the vistors'.

For the first time in five matches, he has gone with Sterling and Coutinho together. The last occasion? That nerve-shredding 4-3 against Swansea.

So you have been warned. But remember, this is the side that beat Arsenal 5-1, and the same formation (if not quite personnel) that thrashed Tottenham on their own ground.

If Liverpool have been bold, then you argue Tim Sherwood has been even braver, because there doesn't seem anything suspiciously like a defensive midfielder in his line up, and the strategy would appear to continue to be a defensive high line.

Anyone who remembers the chasing Sterling gave to the unfortunate Kyle Naughton at Whute Hart Lane (and is of the Red persuasion) will relish that.

But there is a school of thought which suggests the best way to unsettle Liverpool is to go at them. Villa got a point here doing that, Swansea so nearly did. Seriously, it could be any score. 5-4 anyone?!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-vs-tottenham-recap-sorry-3301517#ixzz2xW7PCFmm
      Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook 
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #652: Mar 31, 2014 07:49:04 am
      One thing really stood out for me in this game. Right before Coutinho's goal, Spurs were pressing us in our own end and instead of hoofing it, Migs decided to play it through from the back. At that moment I remembered seeing a video, don't know if it was one Brendan showed during one of his long interviews or where I saw it but it showcased how Barca turn pressure like that into an attack for them by being patient, taking chances and playing it out from the back. As the ball made its way to Flanno and he turned, I looked at my wife and said "Watch this, look how they've drawn so many of Tottenhams players back and now they've turned around, this will end in a goal". And I'll be damned if they didn't do just that. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I'd be willing to wager that Brendan will pick out that passage of play for future highlights. There were a few times during the game when I would have sworn I was watching Barca play...except our players actually have toughness and steel.  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Discussed it in the post match presser. Very well observed mate!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #653: Mar 31, 2014 08:07:15 am
      Well done to our fabulous REDS,I was so impressed with the way we fought for every ball and backed each other up. I have not picked a man of the match as I believe all 11 who started the match earned that accolade. I was pleased to see some of our former greats in the ground, Carra  Rushie, Kenny, St John and all enjoying a fantastic Liverpool win. Oh and a big thanks to the crowd for bringing back so many Anfield memories and their brilliant rendition of Y.N.W.A. :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #654: Mar 31, 2014 08:35:57 am
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #655: Mar 31, 2014 08:45:45 am
      excellent 3 points, now to forget the match and focus on winning the next one
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #656: Mar 31, 2014 08:50:45 am
      Recorded the game overnight and watched it before work this morning.  I would sum up the way we are playing at the moment as relentless.  At the moment you can't see us not scoring in games.  Watching the highlight show now and our goals come as much from hard work and determination as skill and movement.

I went for Heemio as MOTM.  He has developed so much as a footballer and is an integral part of the team and our current success.

Finally I am wondering where Sherwood got such optimism from before the game.  It was great to see his face after 2 mins.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #657: Mar 31, 2014 10:02:22 am
      The Spurs player's attitudes were shocking in the tunnel. Vertonghen just casually leaning against the wall, a couple of them laughing at joking about nonsense and the rest looking like they'd be told that somebody had pissed in their kettle. If I was a Spurs fan I wouldn't have been happy at seeing that. Thank god City and Chelsea have already played them twice or it'd be guaranteed 3 points for both of them.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,255 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #658: Mar 31, 2014 10:06:35 am
      The Spurs player's attitudes were shocking in the tunnel. Vertonghen just casually leaning against the wall, a couple of them laughing at joking about nonsense and the rest looking like they'd be told that somebody had pissed in their kettle. If I was a Spurs fan I wouldn't have been happy at seeing that. Thank god City and Chelsea have already played them twice or it'd be guaranteed 3 points for both of them.

It was.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2842 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #659: Mar 31, 2014 01:34:33 pm
      Last time we scored 48 goals at home was 1987/8 when we scored 49 (Still 3 matches left at home)
      Last time we scored 40 or more away goals 1989/90 (We still have 3 away matches left)
      Last time we scored 88 goals or more 1985/6 (and we still have 6 games left)

Champions in those 3 season I believe!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #660: Mar 31, 2014 04:10:17 pm
      I went yesterday, lower centenary, atmosphere was electric around the whole ground. There's a real sense of excitement.

Thought we were brilliant without even getting out of third gear yesterday. I did predict such a win before kick off mind you, I don't rate that spurs side at all and they are under shocking guidance with Sherwood, the stupid balloon headed pr**k.

I knew our attack would be too much for them and I also knew their attack wouldn't cause us much damage. That's how it went pretty much. That soldado is gash!

Gave my motm to raheem who I thought was brilliant throughout once again. Not only does he offer us so much pace, he works hard to track back and really helps Johnson out. His final ball is improving game by game and it can't be long until he bags a few more goals. He hasn't half come on as a player and it's like a new signing. I wonder what he's worth now? Id say 20m+. Think he deserves a place in the squad for Brazil too.

Thought our back 4 looked a bit better yesterday although got to admit spurs offered very little in attack.

Henderson will never be a world beater as such but what an engine he has on him. Never stops running. Does all the 'donkey work' if you like. He makes some very intelligent runs going forward and a lot of the time it creates so much space for Daniel and luis. Very impressed with the way he's come on too.

Thought stevie was excellent again too. No rash tackles, carefully tracking opponents, spread the ball well, lead by example.

Our front 4 are unstoppable. Enough said about that.

The best thing about yesterday was the roar from the kop after full time once they clapped the fans off. We all believe.

kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #661: Mar 31, 2014 06:48:40 pm
      I went yesterday, lower centenary, atmosphere was electric around the whole ground. There's a real sense of excitement.

Great performance from the lads and us fans. Not witnessed an atmosphere like that since the European nights under Rafa.

I was in the upper Anny Road (228) and it was decent up there apart from one clown who kept shouting "oh oh oh" every time we moved forward but didn't hear him sing once!

The Kop looked fantastic and that roar at the end was spine tingling. The players certainly know we are behind them all the way ....

32 down and 6 to go......BELIEVE

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,789 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #662: Mar 31, 2014 11:23:23 pm
      What impressed me the most was the constant, chasing, harrassing an in their faces type play for the full 90 minutes.

6 more games like that, where we don't stop running and smashing the opposition at every chance we get and we'll WIN the Title. I'm convinced.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #663: Apr 01, 2014 12:48:55 am
      Spurs is not as poor as what we thought, they looked poor because the lads simply did not allow them to play the game the way they wanted it to be.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #664: Apr 01, 2014 12:58:03 am
      Spurs is not as poor as what we thought, they looked poor because the lads simply did not allow them to play the game the way they wanted it to be.

Without taking anything away from our lads, Spurs against the top teams are pathetic this season. In relation to them not being as poor as people thought - it would depend on how bad people thought/think Spurs are and what they're capable of achieving. Personally, I see Spurs as being just as poor as I've imagined all season long.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #665: Apr 01, 2014 01:17:21 am
      Without taking anything away from our lads, Spurs against the top teams are pathetic this season. In relation to them not being as poor as people thought - it would depend on how bad people thought/think Spurs are and what they're capable of achieving. Personally, I see Spurs as being just as poor as I've imagined all season long.

Spot on fella, had 4-0 with the bookies at 20/1 didn't expect much trouble off them when I saw Adebayor was out and it proved as much. Sherwood is not exactly a tactical genius and he got completely outplayed.

City and Chelsea, as we all expect, will be a different task completely. The games we've given them away from home I'd make us favourites for each game and rightly so but neither will be a cake walk. The pressure on these inexperienced lads may prove too much in the end but it may also play in their favour, never experiencing pressure can occasionally make people immune to it the first time around and I'm hoping that is the case.

Although having said the above Raheem strikes me as someone who can take pressure in any occasion, the lad is a cocky little f**ker that I am growing to absolutely love. Flanno has always played well in the big games so there's little reason to expect that to change. Honestly the weakest link from my point of view, even though he's come in for some credit in some areas, is Joe Allen. Nothing about the lad strikes me as a big game player, he had a great spell just before christmas and one sub appearance in my book but outside that has been our weakest player, he causes me the most worry and I'm much more relaxed when he isn't in the starting XI.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #666: Apr 01, 2014 04:01:32 am
      MNF - Liverpool, Suarez & Title Race

Loved watching Carra speaking there, it seems like I find it much easier to understand him now he's a commentator, speaks a little slower ;D

But his excitement is just amazing, you can see he's one of us, he's really excited about our chances. By the way Gary Neville has surprised me a lot as a commentator, I used to hate him with all my heart when he was playing but he actually comes out as a nice fella on tv.

Quick Reply