Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

3rd/4th Striker

Read 6448 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      3rd/4th Striker
      Apr 08, 2014 08:05:16 pm
      So with us being pretty much nailed on for CL, we will be competing on 4 fronts next season. With that comes the need for a bigger (better) squad, more competition etc etc. I think we can all agree our squad needs improving, we have very little in terms of impact players on the bench, which obviously doesn't matter when all our key players are staying fit, but we can't realistically expect it to last.

In an ideal world Suarez will report back for duty next season (a premier league medal, the richer). Along with Studge, those are of course our preferred 2 strikers. But who would be our 3rd and 4th Strikers? Would any of our current boys cut it? If not, who would you want and how much should we spend?

My view is that it's between Borini and Aspas for 4th striker. IMO it would have to be Borini, not many goals in him but I see something there and believe he has enough quality to make an impact. He is versatile enough to play as a winger (very important for our style of play) and works his arse off. Aspas hasn't had much of a chance, to be fair, but I just don't believe he is up to the standard of LFC.

So, ideally that would leave a space for someone to compete with SAS for a place in our starting 11. Now it's clear the type of forward Rodgers goes for; he would need to be pacey to keep up with our quick counter-attacks, he would need to be versatile to adapt to BR's ever changing formations and he would need to be comfortable with the ball at his feet.

I've heard good things about Luis Muriel but can honestly say I've not yet been able to watch him play. Also I realise he could command quite a hefty fee. Griezzman is a player that excites me, his stats in the Spanish league are very impressive but again there might be some doubts about the fee. Would the £20 mil mark be too much for a striker when we have SAS? I just don't know...
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: 3rd/4th Striker
      Reply #1: Apr 08, 2014 10:07:36 pm
      You make the comment of Borini over Aspas without actually seeing much of Aspas, not exactly fair considering Borini has had mass amounts of opportunities and squandered every single one. Aspas has been unfortunate in the sense that we haven't really needed a 3rd striker as such this season. At least wait for the lad to have a run of games before calling him shi**er than Borini.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #2: Apr 08, 2014 10:27:52 pm
      You make the comment of Borini over Aspas without actually seeing much of Aspas, not exactly fair considering Borini has had mass amounts of opportunities and squandered every single one. Aspas has been unfortunate in the sense that we haven't really needed a 3rd striker as such this season. At least wait for the lad to have a run of games before calling him shi**er than Borini.
      I've explained my reasons, it has to be one or the other and if you ask me who I believe will come good, it's Borini. I didn't say anyone was sh*te mate, I chose my words carefully, so should you.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Apr 08, 2014 11:06:14 pm
      Lukaku, young, hungry, has proven he can play in a system not too dissimilar to our own, scores goals, already settled in England and has shown he quickly adapts to a move through various loans, will probably be surplus at Chavski and we'd possibly rub the Bitters up the wrong way.

No downsides really.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,133 posts | 127 
      Reply #4: Apr 08, 2014 11:08:13 pm
      I think it can only  be the kids, 'cause who in their right mind will come here to sit on the bench?
      Borini and Aspas are getting itchy feet because they want to play.
      I know we will have a lot more games next season, but I cant see a top class striker waitng for that chance.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #5: Apr 08, 2014 11:21:13 pm
      Judging from Aspas's comments last week it looks like he's off, I think we probably should look to buy another striker, doesnt have to be anything special, cause if either Suarez or Sturridge get injured I think we would look to play with just 1 striker before bringing in another.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #6: Apr 09, 2014 12:36:33 am
      Lukaku, young, hungry, has proven he can play in a system not too dissimilar to our own, scores goals, already settled in England and has shown he quickly adapts to a move through various loans, will probably be surplus at Chavski and we'd possibly rub the Bitters up the wrong way.

No downsides really.

Just what was said about Carroll..and i say the same as I said about him...big, strong and immobile.
      Sorry to disagree mate, but he's the wrong type of player for BR's style, wouldn't touch him if they offered him for free.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 09, 2014 12:57:07 am
      I'd love to see us bring in Pedro or Sanchez from Barca. Both are hugely underused,never consistently used to get a proper run in the team but both have fantastic pace, can score goals and have CL experience. I think with the right price they'd be willing to sell only stumbling block I see is if the transfer embargo sticks they might not be willing to sell.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Apr 09, 2014 01:10:01 am
      Aspas and Borini

Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee. 

Choosing my words carefully of course.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #9: Apr 09, 2014 02:07:17 am
      Rodrigo
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #10: Apr 09, 2014 03:13:03 am
      I'd love to see us bring in Pedro or Sanchez from Barca. Both are hugely underused,never consistently used to get a proper run in the team but both have fantastic pace, can score goals and have CL experience. I think with the right price they'd be willing to sell only stumbling block I see is if the transfer embargo sticks they might not be willing to sell.

Perdro and Sunchez are 2nd and 3rd top scorers at Barca. They are not underused at all.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #11: Apr 09, 2014 03:18:40 am
      Assuming 4-3-3 would be our consistent formation, the current front-3 would be unanimously SaSaS. I believe we'll retain Borini & sell Aspas. We had hoped Moses would be Assaidi's replacement but that went horribly wrong.

So I guess we're in need for 2 wide forwards, one established and one young. I bet the 'young one' would be Jordan Ibe and the 'established' one would be either of Konoplyanka or Shaqiri or Markovic

Sturridge/Borini
      Suarez/Ibe                            Konoplyanka/Sterling
      « Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014 04:02:55 am by Vicks86 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Apr 09, 2014 04:20:43 am
      The shout for Muriel above is good! Really rate him. He's quick, can finish and would fit in with our system I think.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #13: Apr 09, 2014 05:02:28 am
      The shout for Muriel above is good! Really rate him. He's quick, can finish and would fit in with our system I think.

Is he BR-type? I mean versatile? Haven't seen more than a couple of Udinese games, doesn't he always play CF?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Apr 09, 2014 05:15:59 am
      He "could" play on the flanks and cut in because he's good with the ball at his feet and very quick.

He can drop deep, run out wide or go through the middle. Having BR teaching him won't harm either.

Muriel strikes me as a player who, when he leaves for a bigger club, needs a manager to help him and not expect from him instantly. He has all the tools, just needs some refinement to his game.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #15: Apr 09, 2014 06:34:15 am
      Tough to get an already established striker to essentially come and sit on the bench. Its more likely Brendan will go for some young talent that's already playing as a third striker somewhere.
      The opportunity to come and learn from Suarez, Sturridge and Brendan is a big incentive for a young lad to cone here.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #16: Apr 09, 2014 07:19:37 am
      I think, as Alex mentions above, that Rodrigo from benfica would be an ideal choice.
      He's 23, he is fast, he is not very expensive, he is going to fit perfectly in our play and he won't have the early ambition to replace Sturridge or Suarez on the starting XI.

However, I believe that we are going to need 5 clear strikers for next season.
      So far we have 3 (Suarez, Sturridge and Aspas). Adding for example Rodrigo, we are going to need another one with pretty much the same characteristics.

So I think Jelle Vossen, the captain of Genk would be a very good choice. He's 25, he is able to substitute one of our main stikers in case of injury or unavailability and in general he has a good situation awareness on his playing position.

So if we manage to form a striker quintet like this then I think we will be complete up front.

Then it's time to build up our defence  :P
      Phect
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #17: Apr 09, 2014 07:45:52 am
      However, I believe that we are going to need 5 clear strikers for next season.
      Now that's something you won't see everyday. :D
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #18: Apr 09, 2014 07:51:16 am
      Now that's something you won't see everyday. :D

Arsenal has 8
      Barcelona has 8
      Real Madrid has 5
      Atletico Madrid has 5
      Juventus has 7

Yes I agree with you. That's something you won't see everyday....

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #19: Apr 09, 2014 07:52:57 am
      Given the way we play I wouldn't be surprised if we got away with the '3rd striker' in our squad not even being an out and out striker.

The kind of player we will really benefit from is like a hybrid of Sterling and Coutinho. Someone who plays across the line behind the striker - one of Sturridge or Suarez will probably always be operating up front and the other rested or playing behind. The gaffer is teaching the two youngsters I mentioned to be versatile in this system and play this role that the player I said we can benefit from plays. I think Xherdan Shaqiri could be perfect.

Borini will be a good addition to the squad, coming off the bench.. hes being groomed to take his best shot next season, that's for sure, but I think some might fear we need a better quality poacher-type right now, someone like Demba Ba, a real 'clutch player'.... however, with SAS on field and the attacking talent behind them I'm sure Borini will find his room to shine, we can accommodate that kind of striker and I think he will be able to step it up.

Strikers: Suarez, Sturridge, Borini
      Attacking 'midfielders': Coutinho, Sterling, Suso, New eg. Shaqiri
      Midfielders: Gerrard, Henderson, Lucas, Allen

This is why I believe this 'New' position is the most important to spend on right now. We have quality in the other areas to come in, and we are not a club that will waste money so to speak, we will give these loanees the chance. They are coming into a system that can accommodate them and that they are ready to grow in.
      « Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014 11:08:26 pm by Del Boca Vista »
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #20: Apr 09, 2014 08:22:38 am
      Arsenal has 8
      Barcelona has 8
      Real Madrid has 5
      Atletico Madrid has 5
      Juventus has 7

Yes I agree with you. That's something you won't see everyday....
      Arsenal have 8...really? If that is including people like Podolski, Walcott and park, do we count Sterling and Ibe?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #21: Apr 09, 2014 08:27:40 am
      Given the way we play I wouldn't be surprised if we got away with the '3rd striker' in our squad not even being an out and out striker.

The kind of player we will really benefit from is like a hybrid of Sterling and Coutinho. Someone who plays across the line behind the striker - one of Sturridge or Suarez will probably always be operating up front and the other rested or playing behind. The gaffer is teaching the two youngsters I mentioned to be versatile in this system and play this role that the player I said we can benefit from plays. I think Xherdan Shaqiri could be perfect.

Borini will be a good addition to the squad, coming off the bench.. hes being groomed to take his best shot next season, that's for sure, but I think some might fear we need a better quality poacher-type right now, someone like Demba Ba, a real 'clutch player'.... however, with SAS on field and the attacking talent behind them I'm sure Borini will find his room to shine, we can accommodate that kind of striker and I think he will be able to step it up.

Strikers: Suarez, Sturridge, Borini
      Attacking 'midfielders': Coutinho, Sterling, Suso, New eg. Shaqiri
      Midfielders: Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Allen

This is why I believe this 'New' position is the most important to spend on right now. We have quality in the other areas to come in, and we are not a club that will waste money so to speak, we will give these loanees the chance. They are coming into a system that can accommodate them and that they are ready to grow in.
      Yeah that's a good point mate. If Suarez or Sturridge were to get injured, I'm sure we could play with 1 striker, in fact we've done it already this season. Someone like Shaqiri could slot in and play on the flank and we still have other players like Sterling, Cou and Suso that could play in our front 3.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: Apr 09, 2014 08:36:23 am
      Just what was said about Carroll..and i say the same as I said about him...big, strong and immobile.

2 completely different players.

Sorry to disagree mate, but he's the wrong type of player for BR's style

He's not doing too shabby in a similar style under Martinez.

Quick Reply