Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite

Read 44190 times
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Re: Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite
      Reply #115: May 02, 2014 09:15:26 am
      Well if Barca are really having a clear out I wouldn't mind that midfielder fella they've got that appears on all the ice cream / ice lolly advertisements in Spain.

Think his name is Andrew Innes (must have Scottish heritage) or something like that.

He's not bad - good cover at least.

He's no Joe Allen though.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #116: May 02, 2014 10:50:05 am
      Well if Barca are really having a clear out I wouldn't mind that midfielder fella they've got that appears on all the ice cream / ice lolly advertisements in Spain.

Think his name is Andrew Innes (must have Scottish heritage) or something like that.

He's not bad - good cover at least.
      I think this would be too much for me. Favourite player joins favourite football club = overload.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #117: May 02, 2014 10:51:52 am
      We do need quality in defence and the midfield mate but the screaming priority is width.
      We were undone against the plastics for that very reason, if we could have presented a tangible threat with wide men filtering in deep in their half the pressure in the middle to us could be lessened, ultimately the same factor would not allow them the luxury of attackers F***ing loitering waiting for a mistake.
      A. Madrid played it to perfection, drew the fuckers out of position and F***ing savaged them.
      If we're going to poach any of the A. Madrid squad why not go after the wide men?

Filipe Luis was the width mate. He and Juanfran were bombing up the flanks all night and they play a similar system to us but less attack minded.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,039 posts | 3963 
      Reply #118: May 02, 2014 10:59:17 am
      Filipe Luis was the width mate. He and Juanfran were bombing up the flanks all night and they play a similar system to us but less attack minded.

He'd do the job fine mate, have that capability when there was no immediate pressure and break their composure.
      Word is though the Chavs are preparing a bid, whether the lad would consider the option is a different matter.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #119: May 02, 2014 11:54:15 am
      I know I've only noticed this player from the Europa league game yesterday and that's probably not enough to go on, however it spoke volumes about his attitude/ grit/ determination/ pace and never-say-die attitude.
      If anyone watched the game I'd like to know your opinion about Lazar Markovic, the Benfica player... he was involved in a tussle on the sideline later on after he was already subbed and will miss the final after he and a Juventus player (Mirko Vucinic) were red carded after some incident.

From what I saw of him he would add that certain steel and work rate, similar to what Henderson offers.

I should read up on him more, to me though; he stood out.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,476 posts | 4594 
      Reply #120: May 02, 2014 12:23:09 pm
      Kroos & Rues would make me happy.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #121: May 02, 2014 12:31:27 pm
      Reus.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,039 posts | 3963 
      Reply #122: May 02, 2014 12:32:20 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #123: May 02, 2014 01:28:44 pm
      If anyone watched the game I'd like to know your opinion about Lazar Markovic, the Benfica player... he was involved in a tussle on the sideline later on after he was already subbed and will miss the final after he and a Juventus player (Mirko Vucinic) were red carded after some incident.

From what I saw of him he would add that certain steel and work rate, similar to what Henderson offers.

Thought the same mate, he was impressive, incredible work rate, ran his socks off the whole game. Seems to be quite good technically but I would like to hear the opinion of someone who watches him on a regular basis.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #124: May 02, 2014 04:05:55 pm
      I know I've only noticed this player from the Europa league game yesterday and that's probably not enough to go on, however it spoke volumes about his attitude/ grit/ determination/ pace and never-say-die attitude.

Thought the same mate, he was impressive, incredible work rate, ran his socks off the whole game. Seems to be quite good technically but I would like to hear the opinion of someone who watches him on a regular basis.

I wouldn't say I watch him on a regular basis, but I do love watching Benfica whenever I can (I've been a huge fan ever since Aimar went there back in 2008) so I've seen him a good handful of times.  The most impressive thing about Markovic is that, although he is an attacking player, he has the ability to drop deeper and play as creative midfielder similar to how Coutinho has featured for us this year.  In the first leg against Juve he was deployed as a RM but often times found himself taking up more central positions and helped Benfica to keep possession and build attacks.  He has such incredible tactical awareness for such a young player, and when you couple that with his skill, ability, and composure on the ball it means that he can play in a wide variety of roles.  Simply put, he is just a quality footballer!!  In addition to his skills, he also has good pace, balance, and general athleticism.  He also plays with a tenacity and work rate that makes him a real handful on both sides of the ball!!  He is definitely a player who would be a great investment, but Benfica tend to hold out for high transfer fees so I don't know if we would even be able to afford the lad :(
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #125: May 02, 2014 04:52:24 pm
      Hazard.

Mourinho doesn't seem to be a fan....
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #126: May 02, 2014 04:54:43 pm
      Hazard.

Boom!!  Would absolutely love to have Hazard in our squad mate.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #127: May 02, 2014 05:39:32 pm
      Hazard.

Mourinho

Hazard doesn't seem to be a fan.
      At least according to the daily rags and a couple of quotes from him.

Wonderful player, absolutely wasted at chelsea.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #128: May 02, 2014 05:52:07 pm
      Mourinho

Hazard doesn't seem to be a fan.
      At least according to the daily rags and a couple of quotes from him.

Wonderful player, absolutely wasted at chelsea.

As are most of the other wonderful players they have on the payroll mate. 

Let's hope the shockingly negative footy and the behaviour of the self righteous, never my fault pr**k will make some of their players think wtf am I doing here.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #129: May 02, 2014 06:26:18 pm
      Great call... I've only been watching him this season but what a player.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,326 posts | 4959 
      Reply #130: May 02, 2014 09:01:46 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,421 posts | 6419 
      Reply #131: May 02, 2014 09:45:05 pm
      You put Hazard in our lineup we go from intimidating to just plain scary.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #132: May 02, 2014 09:47:37 pm
      You put Hazard in our lineup we go from intimidating to just plain scary.
      Also from pricey to a fortune. This boy will not come cheap.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,326 posts | 4959 
      Reply #133: May 02, 2014 10:02:07 pm
      Also from pricey to a fortune. This boy will not come cheap.

Worth every single penny of whatever he'd cost.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #134: May 02, 2014 10:07:58 pm
      excellent player that every team would love to have, but still I would prefer Rakitic. I got feeling that Hazard is not such team player as him.

Even if Chelsea decides to sell, knowing Mourinho he would not sell to rivals.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #135: May 02, 2014 10:49:19 pm
      Worth every single penny of whatever he'd cost.
      Absolutely. Whether we get the backing to spend such a fortune on a single player is, however, up for debate.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #136: May 03, 2014 12:59:36 am

Yeah totally, I'd always like to know more than just highlights or whatever, I know we aren't linked with him. when I was watching the game I was just thinking wow, he's the type of player that would be invaluable, fighting for everything until the last minute, energy levels not fading, level of skill etc

I wouldn't say I watch him on a regular basis, but I do love watching Benfica whenever I can (I've been a huge fan ever since Aimar went there back in 2008) so I've seen him a good handful of times.  The most impressive thing about Markovic is that, although he is an attacking player, he has the ability to drop deeper and play as creative midfielder similar to how Coutinho has featured for us this year.  In the first leg against Juve he was deployed as a RM but often times found himself taking up more central positions and helped Benfica to keep possession and build attacks.  He has such incredible tactical awareness for such a young player, and when you couple that with his skill, ability, and composure on the ball it means that he can play in a wide variety of roles.  Simply put, he is just a quality footballer!!  In addition to his skills, he also has good pace, balance, and general athleticism.  He also plays with a tenacity and work rate that makes him a real handful on both sides of the ball!!  He is definitely a player who would be a great investment, but Benfica tend to hold out for high transfer fees so I don't know if we would even be able to afford the lad :(

I knew someone here might have some insight into this player, with the educated and knowledgeable football fanatics we have You have a high opinion of him and yes I think Benfica would try to do good business  sometimes players who aren't necessarily household names here are great players and I don't need our transfer window to bring in names I'm familiar with as long as the talent is a nice surprise and they flew under the radar type of thing.

Well you've sold me on him more than I convinced myself, when can we sign him then? ;P

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #137: May 03, 2014 08:04:44 am
      Great call... I've only been watching him this season but what a player.

Me too mate. Aussie TV bought the rights to La Liga this season after a short hiatus and he has shone for Atletico in the few games i've watched. He looks taylor made for us.

And we would finally have a fullback who can cross a ball with consistency and quality!

Quick Reply