Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea: In-game & post-match... thread

Read 53802 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,932 posts | 976 
      Re: Liverpool 0-2 Chelsea: In-game & post-match... thread
      Reply #897: Apr 29, 2014 02:37:26 pm
      Disagree Harry.

When  it all boils down a footballers, and managers, job is to win.

Entertaining football is a bonus.

Not taking a personal shot at you, but this is inaccurate.  If football ceases to be entertaining then the fans will leave, the money will dry up, the business will go bankrupt, and footballers and managers will no longer have jobs.  Hence, the primary responsibility of their job is to entertain.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,378 posts | 4978 
      Reply #898: Apr 29, 2014 02:45:27 pm
      Not taking a personal shot at you, but this is inaccurate.  If football ceases to be entertaining then the fans will leave, the money will dry up, the business will go bankrupt, and footballers and managers will no longer have jobs.  Hence, the primary responsibility of their job is to entertain.

'Entertaining' football can be subjective though mate.

The primary job of a footballer and the main ambition of most fans is to win.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #899: Apr 29, 2014 02:49:03 pm
      Simple facts are though is there are lots of different ways to play the game.

However i dont feel we exactly went balls out to their defensive set up, we had alot of the ball and probed them, we made a mistake and they jumped on it.

Both sides cant play how they did though as you simply couldnt make a game of it, as i genuinely believe that they wouldnt have come out even if we had refused to come out of our half.

And that simply isnt football.

I stand by what i said earlier, had the goal not happened how it did when it did then we would have found a way through second half
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #900: Apr 29, 2014 02:56:41 pm
      We are still top of the league and there are 2 games left...anyone really that unhappy?

You said it Tadders.

We would have taken that a year ago .
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #901: Apr 29, 2014 03:03:40 pm
      lets win our own games and see what happens then. City will do well to win the 3 difficult games they have and if they do so they will be worthy champions.I for one am more thanhappy to still be in the title hunt with two games to go and the player will have learned enormously in these last 12 weeks
      harrydunn08

• 5,932 posts | 976 
      Reply #902: Apr 29, 2014 03:07:50 pm
      'Entertaining' football can be subjective though mate.

You are right:  Entertainment is subjective.  I acknowledged as much in my original post: 

it seems that at some point winning became synonymous with entertaining and fans of a particular team would rather watch boring football if it means lifting trophies.

I admit that there is a grey area when you start discussing attacking football, counterattacking football, scoring goals, winning games, and lifting trophies in the context of entertainment, but this still does not contradict the fact that entertainment is the basic object of the business.  The footballers are the tools, the fans are the consumers, and the football games are the product.  If the product is not enjoyable (entertaining), then the consumers will leave and the business will fail.  Winning is great for the players, fans, and clubs on the winning end, but entertainment is the critical component of the business as a whole.  Mourinho's tactics are anti-football because if you universalize them then the product would cease to be entertaining and the business would die.  In this sense, there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to play football.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #903: Apr 29, 2014 03:08:28 pm
      TERRY AND CECH FIT TO PLAY

F***ing con man Mourinho .

Apparently Terry and Cech are training for the game tomorrow night.

It was all a f***ing sham.

Bullshit merchant. Lying f***ing c**t .

Laughing out of his arse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27206179

Chelsea: Petr Cech & John Terry return to training

Chelsea keeper Petr Cech and defender John Terry trained on Tuesday ahead of Wednesday's Champions League semi-final second leg against Atletico Madrid.
      Cech's season was said to be over after he dislocated his shoulder in the first leg, while Terry injured his ankle in the 0-0 draw.

Eden Hazard (calf) and Samuel Eto'o (knee) were also fit enough to train.

Midfielders John Mikel Obi and Frank Lampard are suspended for the return leg at Stamford Bridge.
      They both received their second yellow cards of the knockout stages at Atletico's Vicente Calderon stadium.

Blues coach Jose Mourinho said after the match in Spain that both Cech and Terry would miss the rest of the Premier League season, with the Portuguese stating that the defender would only feature again if his club reached the Champions League final on 24 May.

Captain Terry, along with Hazard and Eto'o, who both missed the first game, trained with the squad, while Cech took part in a collective warm-up before having a personalised drill.

When asked by Sky Sports News whether he was fit, the Czech keeper responded: "Of course."

kinglenny1892
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #904: Apr 29, 2014 05:03:33 pm
      I don't know. I can stand losing the game the way we did as we played and tried. But to lose the title on goal difference.. .... I'm really struggling with that. I know we have achieved objectives and all and its been an amazing season. But to be so effing close its too much to bear. Hoping Martinez men blow them away in the search for 4th.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #905: Apr 29, 2014 05:26:54 pm
      I havent read a post from here. Not before the game, not during and not after. It hurts too much to relive that.

But all i have to say is that we have the points, we have the players and we have the manager to win this still. Doubters have said we don't have the bottle to win this, nor the experience required, nor the manager to guide us home. But this is our biggest test so far - how we will come back from disappointment and bring 6 points home.

We've passed every test thrown at us so far and defeat to Chelsea is the last test we have to overcome. Its not in our hands but City have to win every game to win this title. And i know we won't go away so easily. 11 games won in a row won't mean nothing at the end of the season. It can't. Everything that has happened to us, our boys have responded. I refuse to believe now is the time they wont respond.

If we win both games and lose the title, it'll be the biggest hurt i have experience in sport. To have that first league triumph in my lifetime taken away from us like this, i cannot imagine a tougher defeat. Our football, our performances, THE CROWD! Everything. It is meant to be and in true Liverpool fashion, we will get it done in the hardest way possible. Its in our DNA to make it tough.

Just praying we put this drab result behind us and move on like champions do.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #906: Apr 29, 2014 05:30:08 pm
      We'll win it on goal difference

Job done.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #907: Apr 29, 2014 05:53:42 pm
      He's spot on.  People have short memories - we won a treble in 2001 thanks in part to being clever (or mind-numbingly defensive) when we needed to.

Even the timewasting from minute 1? (just asking, haven't seen our games that season)
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #908: Apr 29, 2014 06:17:01 pm
      If anything we should feel motivated to win our remaining games now to make sure we'll finish above that pathetic shithouse of a club. That is very much still in our hands. If City wins it, fair play to them. Because the worst thing that could happen would be if both us and City slipped and that c*** Moaninho lifted the trophy.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #909: Apr 29, 2014 07:03:55 pm
      Im disgusted to have lost to him. They played it perfectly.

We were desperate to win and really should have been more patient even at 0-0. We draw the game and it was still in our hands.

I was gutted in 08/09 but if we lose the title on goal difference I'll crack up completely!
      kinglenny1892
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #910: Apr 29, 2014 07:07:53 pm
      We'll win it on goal difference

Job done.

8 goals with city scoring none?! I wish I had your faith. I've no doubt we will get 6 points from last 2 games but we need help from the teams playing them

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #911: Apr 29, 2014 07:14:35 pm

8 goals with city scoring none?! I wish I had your faith. I've no doubt we will get 6 points from last 2 games but we need help from the teams playing them

Well if we win 8-0, 8-0 chances are we'll win it on GD. Perfectly feasible.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #912: Apr 29, 2014 08:50:56 pm
      The only thing I *might* have done differently would have been to shove Agger up top instead of bringing on Aspas when he did. I don't rate Aspas at all, and Agger might have caused some mayhem in their box at the very least. It would've been a long shot, but we didn't seem to be getting on the end of any corners, set pieces into their area, and we were desperate for a score.
      Though I guess if he had brought on Agger, it would mean BR resorting to the long ball, fatSam ideology, rather than sticking to his principles. I'm good with sticking to the principles, but you gotta also consider *who* is available, and I think Aspas is probably as long a shot as Agger.
      Anyway, what's done is done, just speculating.  I haven't watch a shred of footy since, switched channels on the radio footy news comes on, not read the papers etc. Will wait until next week and Palace... hopefully to set things right again ...
      harrydunn08

• 5,932 posts | 976 
      Reply #913: Apr 29, 2014 09:05:53 pm
      The only thing I *might* have done differently would have been to shove Agger up top instead of bringing on Aspas when he did. I don't rate Aspas at all, and Agger might have caused some mayhem in their box at the very least.

Where is that big ponytailed Geordie oaf when you need him ???
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #914: Apr 29, 2014 09:07:43 pm
      Fcuk it. i'm still sick over Sunday. Win the last 2 and see what happens. Still think we might just nick it...................... ..........
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #915: Apr 29, 2014 11:36:00 pm
      A Chelsea fan has reported a possible racial incident to Kick It Out and to Liverpool. It involves racial abuse towards Demba Ba where somebody has supposedly called him a F****** N******.

The irony about this though is that the supporter who reported the incident has supposedly racially abused Raheem Sterling during the same match.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #916: Apr 29, 2014 11:53:51 pm
      Entertaining' football can be subjective though mate.

In this day an age though the top teams in each league are a world apart in terms of resources from the rest. What we can say is that in each league there is about 80% of teams that will never win the league or the UCL in the forseable future. What we can also say is that in each league the top 2 richest teams will win their league a majority of times between them over the next say 5-10 years. We can also say that the winners of the UCL for the next 5-10 years will mostly come from a pool of the top 2 richest teams in the biggest leagues in Europe. It is a given I think. In this case .....why play sh*t boring negative reactive football.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #917: Apr 30, 2014 12:33:08 am
      TERRY AND CECH FIT TO PLAY

F***ing con man Mourinho .

Apparently Terry and Cech are training for the game tomorrow night.

It was all a f***ing sham.

Bullshit merchant. Lying f***ing c**t .

Laughing out of his arse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27206179

Chelsea: Petr Cech & John Terry return to training

Chelsea keeper Petr Cech and defender John Terry trained on Tuesday ahead of Wednesday's Champions League semi-final second leg against Atletico Madrid.
      Cech's season was said to be over after he dislocated his shoulder in the first leg, while Terry injured his ankle in the 0-0 draw.

Eden Hazard (calf) and Samuel Eto'o (knee) were also fit enough to train.

Midfielders John Mikel Obi and Frank Lampard are suspended for the return leg at Stamford Bridge.
      They both received their second yellow cards of the knockout stages at Atletico's Vicente Calderon stadium.

Blues coach Jose Mourinho said after the match in Spain that both Cech and Terry would miss the rest of the Premier League season, with the Portuguese stating that the defender would only feature again if his club reached the Champions League final on 24 May.

Captain Terry, along with Hazard and Eto'o, who both missed the first game, trained with the squad, while Cech took part in a collective warm-up before having a personalised drill.

When asked by Sky Sports News whether he was fit, the Czech keeper responded: "Of course."

All the more hilarious if Cech or Terry F**k up and let Athletico through to the final!
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #918: Apr 30, 2014 02:12:27 am
      No chance of Cech playing. Apparently he couldn't even lift his arm above shoulder level, reports suggest he was there for team morale.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #919: Apr 30, 2014 02:30:29 am
      . However, I'm glad that we didn't!!  At it's core, a footballer's job is to carry out the manager's instructions and philosophy

Hi Harry, I'm glad we didn't too but I've just edited your quote to show why I think this.

His instructions and philosophy have gotten us to where we are at the moment, the summit of English football.

The philosophy is entertaining though and this is the icing on the cake, as it proves purist football along with smaller finances can still triumph over sterile tactics and millions to boot.

Quick Reply