Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Football, its a funny old game

Read 2175 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Football, its a funny old game
      Apr 29, 2014 07:35:47 pm
      I remember clear as day being a child no more then 4 seeing this thing on tv sitting with my granddad. These men wearing white jerseys running around after a football. They weren't alone. They were on a pitch surrounded by people watching them, watching them play other men wearing something that caught me there and then as a child, all red, my favourite colour. Now I knew nothing of football or who I was watching, all I knew was that there was men all in red" who are they granddad"? "that's Liverpool son"......the rest is history I suppose

Next thing I remember was getting the Liverpool yearbook when I was 6, for me ma to buy this I must have continued to show signs of interest in the redmen. Anyway what sticks in my head from that book was the picture of the squad some in red jerseys some in grey tracksuits, the 1984 treble winning squad. Hooked. Then came the first jersey then came my favourite jersey ever the yellow crown paints and this time shorts and socks came to. 1985 sitting in front of the telly watching Heysel unfold, a year later seeing Kenny win us the league at Chelsea then do the double by beating Everton. Full blown love by now. Nothing was ever going to stop this little fella from Dublin loving this team from a place that was a million miles away in my head

When I saw us lift the title in 1990 I never would have believed it would be the last. In between we have some brilliant moments, close calls and shocking displays. I watched clubs fall away who Id grown up with, Luton Coventry Oxford Sheffield Wednesday Millwall Wimbledon, Wimbledon another memory of childhood for the wrong reason, never to return. We came close a few times, sometimes not so close. I seen the revival of man utd, remember the win v Sheff Wed in 93 time was well up before they won it. Had the ref have blown on time they wouldn't have won and might never have gone on to the successes they had, indeed had they not won the FA cup in 90 there manager would probably have been sacked. They beat Palace in the final after Palace stunned us in the semi. Crystal Palace have a huge part in our season, funny old game.

That phrase "funny old game" is a very apt term. How often have we seen an ex manager drawn against his old team in the cup, or go head to head with an old club for a league. How many times has an ex player scored a goal that beats an old club in a knockout game or maybe to relegate them, its endless.

And its this that should keep us all believing that we can still win this league. Everton helping there neighbours? Its a funny old game, ex Liverpool striker cast off scores goal for West ham v man city to help Liverpool win the title? Funny old game.  Far fetched? I've seen so many things happen in football since being that 5 year old kid I wrote about at the start right through to Stevie's slip on Sunday. Man city 2 seasons ago more proof of twists and turns. Its a funny old game. Us beating Blackburn in 95 but utd failing to beat west ham so Blackburn win the league at Anfield under Kenny Dalglish, you couldn't have made it up..Funny old game.

Were well in this people, for God sake were still top as of now. More twists and turns WILL happen. ITS A FUNNY OLD GAME
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,996 posts | 5049 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Football, its a funny old game
      Reply #1: Apr 30, 2014 06:11:57 am
      Love this, great posting Brian, can you do Ray Winstone impressions ?

Seriously,
      It is a funny old game, anything is possible, City have no easy walk in, Everton still with a chance of 4th and all that it brings, Villa fighting for survival, & tbh WHU have only pride left but are still capable of taking points,
      But we must beat Palace for any of it to really matter.

YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Apr 30, 2014 07:33:00 pm
      When writing this yesterday I wanted to avoid bringing 1989 into it. But aside from the tragedy that hit the club that year it was of course the year we became only the 5th club in the history of the English game to lose the title on goals when Arsenal done us 2 nil. Surely that is a faith that wont befall this club again

Also a club who where there at our side in 1989 turned out to be our opponents for our 1st competitive game, Everton, who we would later beat in the cup final, that same club could yet be our greatest ally in the title race

And to finish on a lighter note, that chap from Thailand who flew over to see Everton for the first time only for freak weather to hit and get the game cancelled, well guess what...HES BACK FOR THE CITY GAME!!! Faith? Its a funny old game
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #3: May 01, 2014 12:24:50 pm
      I remember clear as day being a child no more then 4 seeing this thing on tv sitting with my granddad. These men wearing white jerseys running around after a football. They weren't alone. They were on a pitch surrounded by people watching them, watching them play other men wearing something that caught me there and then as a child, all red, my favourite colour. Now I knew nothing of football or who I was watching, all I knew was that there was men all in red" who are they granddad"? "that's Liverpool son"......the rest is history I suppose

Next thing I remember was getting the Liverpool yearbook when I was 6, for me ma to buy this I must have continued to show signs of interest in the redmen. Anyway what sticks in my head from that book was the picture of the squad some in red jerseys some in grey tracksuits, the 1984 treble winning squad. Hooked. Then came the first jersey then came my favourite jersey ever the yellow crown paints and this time shorts and socks came to. 1985 sitting in front of the telly watching Heysel unfold, a year later seeing Kenny win us the league at Chelsea then do the double by beating Everton. Full blown love by now. Nothing was ever going to stop this little fella from Dublin loving this team from a place that was a million miles away in my head

When I saw us lift the title in 1990 I never would have believed it would be the last. In between we have some brilliant moments, close calls and shocking displays. I watched clubs fall away who Id grown up with, Luton Coventry Oxford Sheffield Wednesday Millwall Wimbledon, Wimbledon another memory of childhood for the wrong reason, never to return. We came close a few times, sometimes not so close. I seen the revival of man utd, remember the win v Sheff Wed in 93 time was well up before they won it. Had the ref have blown on time they wouldn't have won and might never have gone on to the successes they had, indeed had they not won the FA cup in 90 there manager would probably have been sacked. They beat Palace in the final after Palace stunned us in the semi. Crystal Palace have a huge part in our season, funny old game.

That phrase "funny old game" is a very apt term. How often have we seen an ex manager drawn against his old team in the cup, or go head to head with an old club for a league. How many times has an ex player scored a goal that beats an old club in a knockout game or maybe to relegate them, its endless.

And its this that should keep us all believing that we can still win this league. Everton helping there neighbours? Its a funny old game, ex Liverpool striker cast off scores goal for West ham v man city to help Liverpool win the title? Funny old game.  Far fetched? I've seen so many things happen in football since being that 5 year old kid I wrote about at the start right through to Stevie's slip on Sunday. Man city 2 seasons ago more proof of twists and turns. Its a funny old game. Us beating Blackburn in 95 but utd failing to beat west ham so Blackburn win the league at Anfield under Kenny Dalglish, you couldn't have made it up..Funny old game.

Were well in this people, for God sake were still top as of now. More twists and turns WILL happen. ITS A FUNNY OLD GAME

Fantastic post Brian. Brilliant and so so true.

Quick Reply