Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Is this really probably "our best ever chance" to win the league?

Read 9117 times
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Re: Is this really probably "our best ever chance" to win the league?
      Reply #23: May 06, 2014 06:06:58 am
      Its only the begining with Brendan in  just under 2 years ,the work hes done so far is exceptional,a few mistakes along the way thats only to be expected look at the run we`ve had ,I didnt expect it  3rd or 4th was my hope.
       Im delighted at whats been achieved in such a short period of time ,its be a tremendous effort from our players ,beefing the squad up cost us we all new we were a bit light in that department we were lucky we had no serious injuries, Jordans red card was another blow  ,come next season and for the coming years Im sure with the right investment we will be there or there abouts ,we lack real quality in certain areas,but we also have real quality in others,sadly with some coming to the end of there time at our club  its a new dawn next season one to really look forward to.

YNWA
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #24: May 06, 2014 06:47:04 am
      Quote from bigmick
      Everyone's saying it so it must be true right? If Liverpool don't win it this season it'll be far harder next time because everyone else will strengthen. Chelsea will spend big money, Man Utd, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City also. We'll be in Europe too, so we're royally f*****.

Are Everton better than us?
      Are we over-achieving?
      Are we title contenders?
      Is this our best chance?

Why do we give this sh*te airtime?

We are back at the serious end of the league, we have happy players, a settled coaching staff, have no debts, playing great football that very few teams can compete with. We're here for the long haul, the pundits and the press will just have to get used to it.

This isn't 2008-10 enduring sh*t football on the pitch, caving in to Barnsley and Reading at home, players desperate to gtfo, stubbornness on the sideline, anarchy among the fanbase, and rank incompetence in the boardroom. The civil war days are over. Yes we have to strengthen the squad. We will. Yes we have some defensive issues to sort out. We will. I'm looking forward to more games, I haven't enjoyed week long breaks this season.

Regardless of this year's standings, the foundations are in place for another go at the league next year. 5 years ago, the future looked depressing. It looks far brighter today.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #25: May 06, 2014 08:16:43 am
      Every year at the beginning of the Season, we go in there thinking we can win it. If we don't there's no point being here. We might as well be Everton!

It's been "our best ever chance" since Rafa in 08-09 season and it's taken us this long to challenge again. We may have thrown it away this season but with FSG backing, Rodgers having another year under his belt and getting some quality players in instead of bit part players to fill the roster, I really feel like we should be right in the thick of Title challenging for the next few years, at the very least.

COYR
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: May 06, 2014 08:46:25 am
      Every year at the beginning of the Season, we go in there thinking we can win it. If we don't there's no point being here. We might as well be Everton!

It's been "our best ever chance" since Rafa in 08-09 season and it's taken us this long to challenge again. We may have thrown it away this season but with FSG backing, Rodgers having another year under his belt and getting some quality players in instead of bit part players to fill the roster, I really feel like we should be right in the thick of Title challenging for the next few years, at the very least.

COYR

Well said Ian, cheers.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #27: May 06, 2014 10:41:11 am
      We have well and truly been left with egg on our faces yesterday.

Hopefully Dr Peters can help our players overcome this psychological battering we have received over the last two weeks.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #28: May 06, 2014 10:44:17 am
      My only fear now is that we lose the faith for next season, and settle for a below par position in the league. Whatever has happened this season cannot effect the next. Just look at that time we went from 2nd to 7th. With that said, I can only see our team getting stronger next season. Our defence cannot get much worse either..
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #29: May 06, 2014 11:36:17 am
      My only fear now is that we lose the faith for next season, and settle for a below par position in the league. Whatever has happened this season cannot effect the next. Just look at that time we went from 2nd to 7th. With that said, I can only see our team getting stronger next season. Our defence cannot get much worse either..

Just put this picture up before each Home and Away Game next season. Team talk done!

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #30: May 06, 2014 11:51:39 am
      It was. We blew it.

It will not be so easy next season. City, Chavs, Scum, Arsenal and even Spuds will buy. Also, Scum and Spuds will have a better managers.

I am so depressed.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #31: May 06, 2014 12:12:34 pm
      We have the basis and the most important element of a league winning side and that is goals. We need to find a better way of defending and we will be there again next season.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #32: May 06, 2014 12:17:12 pm
      It was. We blew it.

It will not be so easy next season. City, Chavs, Scum, Arsenal and even Spuds will buy. Also, Scum and Spuds will have a better managers.

I am so depressed.

We'll buy as well though. And we'll have a better manager too. Brendan will have learnt a lot from this season that will only make him a better manager. Let's not forget this is only his 3rd season managing in the top flight.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #33: May 06, 2014 12:50:21 pm

We will strengthen as well.

Bizarre in the media when they all talk about this being our chance as everyone will be stronger next season as if LFC will be the only club not to adc players.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #34: May 06, 2014 12:59:06 pm
      it's clearly not our best ever chance, but it has been our best chance since 90 (even better chance then when we finished 2nd under rafa imo).

and to say we won't get a chance to win it like this for a long time is just plain ignorant because there's no predicting anything in football.

however, it will be much tougher next year, make no mistake about it. And it will be tougher for a number of reasons

- european nights: no doubt the extra games will take their toll. we don't have the squad to cope with so many games, hence it's so important we buy right in the summer. someone mentioned 50m as transfer budget. i would be very disappointed with that, i'd hope to spend 80m. on the positive side, playing the best in europe makes players better and will allow us to develop our tactics.

- we're not an unknown entity anymore: one of the reasons why we got to where we got to is because we've blown teams away in short bursts. expect more teams next year to set up like chelsea, so it will be more difficult for us to break them down. players like coutinho, sterling and hendo have been a revelation this season, not to mention sturridge and suarez' streak. i'd expect all those players to get tougher treatment from opposition next year.

- defence: i would very surprised if br doesn't bring in defenders. we've let in 49 goals so far. only spurs and newcastle in the top half have let in more than us. johnson is great going forward, but can't defend. sakho hasn't convinced me yet. when i look at what other top teams have (cahill/terry, kompany/demichelis, even everton's distin/alcaraz/jagielka), i'm not convinced about ours. agger/skrtl partnership works but we miss a leader like carra at the back. he added steel, organisation and leadership.

- defensive midfield: as much as stevie's been amazing this season, he's no mascherano, makelele or viera. we need a world class defensive midfielder, end of. it's our weakest point imo. it means taking tough decisions about how regularly stevie plays and where exactly, but in order to address the issue of that defensive midfield, we have to be prepared to take the toughest decision of all...replace stevie (i know i'll get slated and it's so hard to replace him especuially after the season he's had, but i'm thinking of the future of the team)

so, it isn't our best ever chance no, that's a silly dea. but it will be tougher next year unless we address those issues.

i won't go into the positive because it will be a much longer list :) but needless to say, i have more reason to be optimistic about next year then pessimistic. i absolutely will be expecting us to be in the thick of challenging for the title again next year.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #35: May 06, 2014 01:06:33 pm
      Everyone's saying it so it must be true right? If Liverpool don't win it this season it'll be far harder next time because everyone else will strengthen. Chelsea will spend big money, Man Utd, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man City also. We'll be in Europe too, so we're royally f*****.

First of all Mick, I want to say that after your post 'let me be the first to say we will challenge for the league' that you started ages ago, I am very reluctant to go against anything you say.
      However, this bit of your post is true, and despite how much I want to be wrong I honestly do think this was (and I guess still is) the best chance we have had to win the league for many years and will be for at least 5 more. For ALL the reasons in the quote. We are the poor boys of the top 6...top 6, not top 2 or 3, top 6. We all know FSG wont be throwing money at the club, we spend what we make, and we don't make enough.

We are still a hard up club compared to the other 5 (although F**k knows where the Spuds get their money from). We will be in Europe next season which means our spending in the summer IS massively hampered by FFP. I think to compete for the league and being in Europe we need at least 3 world class players, we are not going to get them, we cant afford 3 'world class' player at £30M+ each.

So we are left with around 30 million net spend this summer (IMO) the rest will have to be made up by selling 'deadwood', but we dont have that much deadwood any more, and we wont get more than 10 mill (again my opinion), from selling them. $40 million total to spend. Unless we are selling the likes of Johnson, Suarez, Agger and Skirtle.

The Mank fans think they are going to have £100 - £200 M to spend, F**k off, they're mired in debt, theres ffp to consider (if they qualify for Europe next season) and they need almost a full team to be anywhere near the top 4.
      I discount the spuds cause they just wasted all the Bale money, but they always seem to find more.

However....
      Arsenal and the Chavs are a world class striker from being a better team than us, both can afford to spend £40-50M on that one player. Then they can spend more if they feel like it, one player, thats ALL our transfer budget. The chavs can sell a lot more deadwod than us and will raise much more than £10m so they should be fine for ffp.
      IMO City dont really need anyone, but they will buy anyway, cause they can afford to.

Thats why I believe this season was the best chance we will have for a few years yet.

Having said all that, I thought we'd struggle to get top 4 this season and not only have we been fighting for top spot, we have also played some of the best football we have seen for more than 20 years. In my eyes Brendon is a genius, as long as we still have him in charge anything can happen. Its not by luck we have scored more goals than I can ever remember. Lets sort out the defensive side of our game...F**k buying strikers, we dont need em, we have the best 2 in the league and Borini coming back from loan (who I still have high hopes for). Lets get 2 full backs and another centre back, strengthen that defense and get a defensive coach in that knows what he is doing...and then we believe again.

That was a longer post than it set out to be, sorry about that.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #36: May 06, 2014 01:13:03 pm
      Lets make another point crystal clear too. WE have MADE it into our best chance since 1990, it wasn't given to us. Nobody anywhere in the civilised world gave us a dogs chance before the season started, and that's being fully aware that "we weren't in Europe" and that ""Man U have to rebuild" and all that old bollocks. We've made it into our best chance since 1990 despite our Summer signings being extremely average. The only two which have had any impact are Mignolet obviously and Sakho belatedly. All the rest have largely been a waste of time and money and have barely played, never mind helped. We've shipped out Reina, Downing, Shelvey, Carroll etc as well as decent kids such as Suso and Wisdom, it's hardly like we've been lucky with signings and stumbled upon a winning team.

No, it's due to the excellence of most of the players and in particular the manager that we are still in with a shout. If we don't win it this time (and mark my words here there will be a twist yet) we'll challenge next season again if we keep Suarez.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #37: May 06, 2014 01:17:54 pm
      Just put this picture up before each Home and Away Game next season. Team talk done!

Is that a Chelsea defensive training session they walked into there?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #38: May 06, 2014 01:42:32 pm
      People say our squad is sh*t, the owners don't spend enough, the manager is tactically naive, our team is too young, yet it is our best chance to win the league? Are you having a laugh or something? If we have come this far without proper squad options and hardly any big signings, just imagine what we can do now we have UCL football to offer, UCL money to spend, a hell lot more experience for our young guns? I am optimistic about this football club like I haven't been in quite a few years.

We'll win the league (thank you in advance Aston Villa) and then do it again next season. Or at least we'll try and if it's anywhere near as fun as this season has been, I will be ecstatic.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #39: May 06, 2014 01:47:53 pm
      It's our best chance for a very long time but it certainly won't be our only chance over the coming years. 

As everyone and his fu**ing Grandad keep telling us, all our rivals will spend £100's of millions buying in better players, we'll struggle competing in Europe and more importantly if the mancs hadn't gone for Moyes we wouldn't even be top 4.

They all wrote us off this season, nobody gave us a scooby doo of competing with the money Clubs and when we did it was only because other Clubs fu**ed up.  They're all bricking themselves at the thought of Liverpool Football Club becoming a force again but f**k 'em.

We might not have the buying power they do to bring in several world class players but where we'll excel is by improving the whole squad by modern, progressive coaching methods, a sustainable Academy and bringing through the best young talent around.

This is no flash in the pan season, this is the start of a beautiful era in modern day football history.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #40: May 06, 2014 01:55:45 pm
      In a way nothing has changed we needed a favour yesterday and we still need one. You never know we may be favs again come 10pm tomorrow.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41: May 06, 2014 02:10:58 pm
      Next year if we strengthen properly, and surely FSG have to invest properly in us now, we will win the league at a canter.

How can Citeh improve, they already have the best players in each and every position which money can buy but they are just a group of excellent individuals NOT a proper team, there is no synergy.

Chavs, far to negative under Maureen, that tactic won't win the league these days

Arsenal, won't win again under Wenger in my opinion although they will probably be better next season

Spurs, who cares

Manure are quite a few years away form challenging again, they need a major rebuilding job.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #42: May 06, 2014 02:20:15 pm
      We'll buy as well though. And we'll have a better manager too. Brendan will have learnt a lot from this season that will only make him a better manager. Let's not forget this is only his 3rd season managing in the top flight.

Yes, but FSG will not spend big bucks. We will have to do with £8-10 million versions of some of the best players.

I doubt if FSG will spend more than £35 million this summer.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #43: May 06, 2014 02:53:36 pm
      What happened to the 60-70 million war chest that was being touted for CL qualification?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #44: May 06, 2014 03:00:03 pm
      Next year if we strengthen properly, and surely FSG have to invest properly in us now, we will win the league at a canter.

How can Citeh improve, they already have the best players in each and every position which money can buy but they are just a group of excellent individuals NOT a proper team, there is no synergy.

Chavs, far to negative under Maureen, that tactic won't win the league these days

Arsenal, won't win again under Wenger in my opinion although they will probably be better next season

Spurs, who cares

Manure are quite a few years away form challenging again, they need a major rebuilding job.

Well wide of the mark in my opinion.

First of all, it doesn't matter how many teams are in the mix - if there was only Mourinho's original Chelsea or the treble-winning United side in there this season, they would have wrapped things up already.

First of all - we have to sell to buy. We are right up against the threshold for investment due to FFP if we want to strengthen significantly. If we have got any hope of competing against the petrodollar clubs we need to be incredibly wise with our investments and extract the maximum value from them. That means significantly improving our performance in the transfer market and bedding in quite a few new players whilst simultaneously learning hw to manage midweek games.

City wil lbe stronger with a second year under their manager plus they can afford to address the weaknesses in their squad. Their team has pulled together since Mancini and, however you look at it, they will be challenging strongly next season.

Chelsea - You say their tactics "won't work" but even without them having a top striker (yes i know it' sAbramovich's fault for not buying one) they were on the verge of a Premiership and CL double. You can't discount a manage rwith a record like Mourinho's. If they buy a 40 million pound striker - and with Lukaku to cme back - I would have them as favourites.

Arsenal and Spurs - we don't know who the manager will be next season - If Wenger goes and they appoint Martinez he could take them far. It would be interesting to see what his Everton side could have done this season if they had Suarez. Spurs is a similar story - all they need is a top striker and a talented manager like Pocchetino and they could be next year's dark horses.

This year has been a perfect storm for us in terms of opportunity. I'm not saying we won't do even better next year but it will be harder. It's encouraging that we look like we will get second (although I'm hoping Man City still fluff it) but we haven't yet convincingly demonstrated the mentality needed to win the league.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #45: May 06, 2014 10:44:35 pm
      We won't be sure until we see the fixtures for next season, and see how we go in the first 6 or 7 games. We get a winning streak going, with a bit more quality than this seasons start, and anything can happen. We will have a stronger squad, with a bit more quality at the back and in the middle i would guess. Good results start of this season, but hanging on in most games. With a few buys, we will cope with the pressure better next season. Think we'll be in the top 4 for most of it, and could win it. I'm confident we can do it. More so than I was at the start of this year. Everyone is gonna park the bus against us, but we will have a bit more class next time around. With this season, that will be two on the trot.

Quick Reply