Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match v Palace away?

Simon Mignolet
      5 (4.5%)
      Glen Johnson
      2 (1.8%)
      Jon Flanagan
      3 (2.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.9%)
      Steven Gerrard
      5 (4.5%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Joe Allen
      52 (46.4%)
      Raheem Sterling
      13 (11.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      3 (2.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      27 (24.1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: May 10, 2014 10:39:59 pm

Crystal Palace 3-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Assistance

Read 52274 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Crystal Palace 3-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Assistance
      Reply #1104: May 07, 2014 10:04:35 am
      I have  still not come to grips that we were winning 3-0 and threw 3 goals away in the last 12 minutes. I don't know if I feel sad or just bloody angry, why the hell did we not just shut up  shop.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,596 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1105: May 07, 2014 10:23:38 am
      Big shame the last 2 results. But we will learn from it, and we are going into last game of season still with a chance of winning the league.

Hendo been a big miss btw.

Even if we had won monday night, we still needed city to drop points.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,055 posts | 543 
      Reply #1106: May 07, 2014 10:39:28 am
      Big shame the last 2 results. But we will learn from it, and we are going into last game of season still with a chance of winning the league.

Hendo been a big miss btw.

Even if we had won monday night, we still needed city to drop points.

Yeah, people seem to have forgotten that last point.
      The difference between a draw and a defeat for City is 1 goal.
      Them drawing was possible, so is them losing.
      Its a bit less likely, but its not gone from "its on" to "its impossible".
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1107: May 07, 2014 12:21:56 pm
      I'm disappointed that we PROBABLY haven't won the league.
      But I can see what the team were thinking. "Try and get 5 or 6 tonight and maybe pip CIty on goal difference".
      Ok it was a risky strategy and it probably failed. But I didn't see City dropping pts, so I would have done the same as the team.

The Rodgers team really stepped up a gear when it binned the Tika Taka nonsense and said "lets go direct". I trace it back to Enrique's long ball to Luis, who used his shoulders to control it, then score.

We then got Sterling and Suarez performing really well. And Luis was able to hurt in key areas rather than carry everything. Gerrard managed to develop in a new role. And Henderson performed better than Lucas. With Allen dropped. This was a quantum leap forward for the team.

We now need another quantum leap forward. Our rivals will strengthen heavily in the Summer.
      We need another option upfront. Diego Costa would have been perfect, as would a top winger.
      We need cover and we need players with energy, passing ability and the ability to protect the back 4.
      The defence needs to find the right balance. And we lack leadership there.
      Luis is expected to do far too much, and has looked tired for a good while.
      The team obviously lacks options from the bench. And struggles to do "control football" ie passing it around to defend a slim lead.

On the positive side, when the players are fresh, its perhaps the most entertaining team in Europe. With possibly the best front 3 in Europe (atleast vs many opponents - when lack of aerial prowess/physicality isn't an issue).

We do have players to sell that would raise cash. We also have CL football to fund this, and supposedly an imminent ground capacity increase. If we COULD take a similar quantum leap forward with purchases, this could be a VERY powerful team.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #1108: May 07, 2014 12:32:03 pm
      we could have the same points total and have played for 1-0 wins or scrapped the odd 0-0 draw and people would be happy that we go into the last game STILL IN WITH A CHANCE to win the league.
      Well despite this game we are still in with a chance but we have seen displays of football that have made us the envy of most other teams supporters.
      Give me a 5-4 win every day of the week rather than and early goal and a 1-0 win.Keep it up boys
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1109: May 07, 2014 05:23:20 pm
      City could lose. .. I don't think it's over.  We'll beat Newcastle so the pressure is on city now. Lucas for me has played his last liverpool game. We need to strengthen in the summer. Lucas isn't a player who can fill in for Henderson and he certainly isn't a starter.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1110: May 07, 2014 05:29:15 pm
      Lucas will be important to interchange with Stevie - don't forget we have european commitments now. No, he doesn;t have Henderson's energy but who does?
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #1111: May 07, 2014 05:52:10 pm
      Tony F***ing Pulis cost us the League in 2008/09 with 2 draws against Stoke as we had the superior goal difference to Utd.
      This year he has probably cost us it also, by letting City piss all over them.

I didn't realise I could hurt so much after a game, but to have 2 consecutivley is not funny.....

We have made too many mistakes to win the league, we have had our fair share of luck, but for me I think Jordan getting sent off against City has really cost us, because Lucas has done F**k all since he came back from injury...
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1112: May 08, 2014 12:09:21 am
      Tony F***ing Pulis cost us the League in 2008/09 with 2 draws against Stoke as we had the superior goal difference to Utd.

I didn't realise I could hurt so much after a game, but to have 2 consecutivley is not funny.....

We have made too many mistakes to win the league, we have had our fair share of luck, but for me I think Jordan getting sent off against City has really cost us, because Lucas has done f**k all since he came back from injury...

Don't think Tony Pulis is to blame. We would have won that game comfortably on Monday and shut up shop after 3-0 had we not been chasing goal difference, and I blame Rafa's defensive tactics at home in 08/09 for that draw.

Don't worry about it, he's in a club that has less resources than Palace, he'll soon become a joke of a figure like Fat Sam.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1113: May 08, 2014 12:29:54 am
      I can honestly say i do not remember the game at all after we were up 2-0.
      And no it wasn't the alcohol.
      My brain is in recovery mode and won't allow me to recall what happened.
      It's an utter blur after half time.
      So completely and utterly lost.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1114: May 08, 2014 12:31:02 am
      Cannot even contemplate voting for a MOM.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,878 posts | 6814 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1115: May 08, 2014 06:31:17 am

We have made too many mistakes to win the league, we have had our fair share of luck, but for me I think Jordan getting sent off against City has really cost us, because Lucas has done f**k all since he came back from injury...

Can see where you are coming from mate, but no one is to blame but ourselves. We just couldn't come up with the goods at the crunch time. The Footballing Gods deserted us.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1116: May 08, 2014 10:27:50 am
      This capitulation, the none performance at Hull and the awful  way we set up against Villa, for me, trumps refereeing errors and the like.  We're still in it, slim though our chances may be, but next season, we go again.
      asus
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #1117: May 08, 2014 12:00:49 pm
      Citys result vs Villa shows how silly it was to even contemplate overturning the goal difference.

Reminds me of those 5000 metre races you used to see. Guy goes all out to win the race, gets well ahead, crowd get excited but he can't sustain it and gradually gets reeled in. Liverpool need to pace themselves better in games. You can't be  70 minute team.
      Porsgrunn
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #1118: May 08, 2014 12:50:30 pm
      Would've ripped your arm off for 4th this season - never mind going into the final weeks with a real challenge. We've more than exceeded expectations with basically 12 players. Chelsea and Man City have 20+ top players in their squads so the summer is vital to bring in minimum of 6 world class players and get rid of the ones who have added nothing this season - just look at our bench over the past few months to see who.

We need cover for the keeper, a proper (dominant organiser) CH, world class CM, FB's and another striker at least. Minimum 17 top players for the CL next season but Brendan and players will have seen what can be achieved and will learn from mistakes this season. We are back with the European big boys and have to invest to maintain it.

Chelsea and Palace were shambolic but the key moment for us was Hendo's red card - Lucas couldn't lace that lad's boots.

By the way (message for our Blue friends) - I was there in 94 when we played Blackburn and the Mancs played West Ham. If Blackburn had beaten us that day they won the league. In the end we beat them but the Mancs blew it themselves by drawing. Some fans wanted Blackburn to win that day but that attitude showed how far we'd fallen behind the Mancs - they'd already moved to another level. So be careful what you wish for...that was 20 years ago!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #1119: May 08, 2014 02:03:13 pm
      Cannot even contemplate voting for a MOM.

got to disagree here. Luis for me as he was ill before KO and still gave absolutely everything. The man is pure class. There's no-one else quite like him. Was utterly gutted for him after the game.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1120: May 08, 2014 08:42:07 pm
      got to disagree here. Luis for me as he was ill before KO and still gave absolutely everything. The man is pure class. There's no-one else quite like him. Was utterly gutted for him after the game.

Let me clarify.
      Not disputing that Luis and some others played well.
      It's just that the last 20 mins of that game has become a blur and has completely overshadowed my ability to think rationally and select my preference for MOTM.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1543 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1121: May 08, 2014 09:16:31 pm
      Ummm...I know Sly Sports have said Sturridge's goal vs Palace was in fact an own goal and the they have their favorites, but isn't this taking things a bit far?

:lmao:
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1543 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1122: May 08, 2014 09:57:27 pm
      I want to read that above text but I can't
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1123: May 10, 2014 03:34:29 pm
      It still pisses me off that professional footballers who are sitting on teh bench aren't ready to go within 30 seconds of being called up by the manager.

They spend the entire week preparing for the game - they should be warming up during the match and wearing the requisite kit so they can get on the pitch within 30 seconds max.

At 3-1 the discussions were undewrway to bring on Agger - he is stretching and getting his kit together - by 3-3 it's too late. I'm not just singling him out since all professional footballers have the same attitude. There's absolutely no justification for it.

Quick Reply