Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Thoughts on our season

Read 13141 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Thoughts on our season
      Reply #46: May 12, 2014 01:21:47 am
      Our initial target was 4th, we achieved that and at some point of time thought that we may not make it but nearly won the league instead. Job well done by the lads and BR.  So, no reason at all for me to be dissapointed but grateful to the lads and BR instead for what they have achieved. In all honesty, we have to admit that we don't have the quality of players on the bench to make the difference and that we may not have the experience to get the job done at the last lap. But, I'm sure now that we have gone through all that and this will be an invaluable experience for the lads and BR next season. However, the owners will seriously need to inject some dough to get in some quality players to bring us to a new level.

I'm sure the Luis Suarez saga will start all over again right after this to unsettle us and the only way for FSG to keep him is to show some ambition and get in some big name players.

Scored 101 goals and conceded 50 or more goals suggests that there's a sizeable gap in quality between defence and attack. We need to pluck the left and the right flanks with new players and get a DM ala Masch and we'll be ok. On the other hand, we have not really successfully replaced Sammi and a qucik towering defender is a must.

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #47: May 12, 2014 01:27:48 am
      To be honest I couldn't give a f**k what you buy into, he may not be superman but over the course of this season he has f**king played like one.
      Yes other players have done well but for me without Suarez there would have been no title challenge.

Not in the mood for your shithouse posts today so I will leave it there.   

Agreed, say take away Suarez and take away half of the 31 goals say 15 1/2 goals, where would we be by now? Missed out on CL football? Suarez is an essential part of the whole set-up. he has put fears into defenders and score some amazing goals. We need Suarez to be in the team unless we can get someone better than him.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #48: May 12, 2014 01:34:00 am
      All things considered, it has been a fantastic season!!  We have gone from perennial strugglers to potential contenders in 18 months.... the transformation has been stunning!!  I don't think there are many who would disagree with the statement that "we have the best starting 11 in England."  Where we really fall short of other teams like City, Chelsea, and even Arsenal is that we lack real quality depth off the bench.  If we can address this issue over the summer by adding real quality instead of quantity then we should be well placed to challenge for the league title again next term. 

At the end of the day, I'm just glad that I was actually able to really enjoy watching us play again this season!  We played exciting and entertaining attack minded footie, and we were pretty damn efficient at picking up points along the way.  Let's not forget that this was only the 2nd year of the BR revolution, so as odd as it sounds to suggest.... we are still a work in progress!!  We will continue to improve and hopefully next year we can add a trophy to our collection while we entertain!! 

Great year lads!!  YNWA
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #49: May 12, 2014 01:40:15 am
      Agreed, say take away Suarez and take away half of the 31 goals say 15 1/2 goals, where would we be by now? Missed out on CL football? Suarez is an essential part of the whole set-up. he has put fears into defenders and score some amazing goals. We need Suarez to be in the team unless we can get someone better than him.

Why is this a debate? What if you took away Suarez? What if Man City didn't have Aguero? What if Barcelona didn't have Messi? What if cows could fly to the moon?? WHAT IF?!!

You spend all season defending your team against accusations of being a "One man team" and then you read your own fans laying the same accusations at the seasons end. What a pile of F***ing sh*t. :mad:
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #50: May 12, 2014 01:50:22 am
      Why is this a debate? What if you took away Suarez? What if Man City didn't have Aguero? What if Barcelona didn't have Messi? What if cows could fly to the moon?? WHAT IF?!!

You spend all season defending your team against accusations of being a "One man team" and then you read your own fans laying the same accusations at the seasons end. What a pile of f**king sh*t. :mad:

When another forumner has a different opinion than yours it would help to debate it in a civil manner without resorting to f**k, s**t and all those words that you are so fond off. Go back and read all your previous posts and come back and tell me I'm wrong. You simply can't accept others that have different opionion, you need to win all the way. If that's the case, my dear friend, you'll end up talking to yourself here.  I'll just put you on ignore here and you can continue with your ramblings. I can see a lot of hatred in you, chill man. Ok, why dont you go request the MOD to put up a poll and see whether Suarez is an important part of the team.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #51: May 12, 2014 02:07:36 am
      When another forumner has a different opinion than yours it would help to debate it in a civil manner without resorting to f**k, s**t and all those words that you are so fond off. Go back and read all your previous posts and come back and tell me I'm wrong. You simply can't accept others that have different opionion, you need to win all the way. If that's the case, my dear friend, you'll end up talking to yourself here.  I'll just put you on ignore here and you can continue with your ramblings. I can see a lot of hatred in you, chill man. Ok, why dont you go request the MOD to put up a poll and see whether Suarez is an important part of the team.

After a long and tough season, it's hard seeing what I perceive to be a belittling of one of the finer stories of our season. And if I perceive wrong then I apologise. I'm sorry if I came across as full of hatred to you or s@int. I'm not full of hatred, just bitter frustration. Today and this whole season has left me emotionally exhausted.
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2014 02:21:56 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #52: May 12, 2014 05:54:00 am
      Maybe in a few weeks il be able to look back and be positive about getting top four. But for now im devastated with how the season panned out and I cant any positivity within me.
      Sure our target was top four but coming so close and having the title in our hands and blowing it with three games to go is just so depressing. Even more so that I feel Gerards slip was what cost us the league. I feel so sory for him.
      Anyway as I said in a few weeks im sure il be more positive about what we have achieved.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #53: May 12, 2014 09:03:20 am
      After a long and tough season, it's hard seeing what I perceive to be a belittling of one of the finer stories of our season. And if I perceive wrong then I apologise. I'm sorry if I came across as full of hatred to you or s@int. I'm not full of hatred, just bitter frustration. Today and this whole season has left me emotionally exhausted.

I understand FMS, I'm no exceptional, I'm totally down for the last 2 weeks and missus have been avoiding me since then. After the Chelsea's and Palace game, I've slowly come to terms that we are indeed  a bit short of quality and experience to give us the final push to be champions. I won't fault the lads and BR a tiny bit but we hope that the owners could see that and start to sign some quality players early.

We go again, as the captain says.   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #54: May 12, 2014 09:41:18 am
      Obviously like everyone else I'm gutted we just fell short but all in all we have had a fantastic season and it's the most enjoyable league campaign I can rembmer in quite some time.

Our football at times this year has been breathtaking and I still don't think it gets the credit it deserves by some outside the club. If Barca played like we have this season they'd be drolling over it but that's by the by and as long as we fans appreciate it that's the main thing.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #55: May 12, 2014 11:03:03 am
      Well to say what IF we didn't have Suarez's goals is a tedious statement to make because its hindsight. If we didn't have his goals I bet Sturridge would of grabbed a lot more than we'd be saying what if we didn't have his goals and it goes on and on.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #56: May 12, 2014 11:06:59 am
      Brilliant season. !

Unlucky in the end not to win the league.

We never bottled it, winning 12 from our last 14 is not bottling it.

Improvements all over pitch, even defence, apart from his OG's skirtel has been immense, has goals at the good end have helped us win many games.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #57: May 12, 2014 11:17:26 am
      Great season, can't wait for next one. WE GO AGAIN
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #58: May 12, 2014 11:21:30 am
      I thought it was a fantastic season.  I was one of the few who said at the start that we could win the league.  And I got slated fo it.  I thought the team, the manager, the owners and the fans where brilliant. Everyone was together and fighting for each other.  It would of been  nice to win the title, but F**k me I have had a right good season watching them  It reminded me of the road to Istanbul.  Going through the same rictuals as you thought it would bring them luck.

God, I remember putting my little boys Liverpool top on him for the Chelsea and after the first half realising that it was not the same top he had on for the games before.  And immediately changing the top.

Its been a blast this year and I hold me head up high being a LFC fan.  We have shown the world how together this club is and how we fight for each other.

Roll on next year, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and Old Big Ears (Could we get No6). 

So to end it all, and in the words of our great Captain.......WE GO AGAIN.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #59: May 12, 2014 11:25:00 am
      Wonderful season. Thoroughly enjoyed our quick style of play, our passion, our determination and the ease at which we've been able to blow teams off the pitch.

Slightly annoying falling at the last hurdle but that was possibly due to inexperience of handling such pressure.

But now we know. And we've learnt so much from this season which will put us in good stead for the future. 

Don't care if others think this was a one-off or we blew our best chance. We're back and we're here to stay and we'll only get better!

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #60: May 12, 2014 11:48:29 am
      Excellent season. It wont be like 2009, H&G completely f*cked us from then onwards until we got rid of them. We have a plan, have a plan now.

I am hoping Ibe, Suso and few others step up. I like the fullbacks for Dortmund I hope we get one of them. I also hope we get a top drawer central defender and we get a top drawer attacking midfielder and striker and keep Suarez and we will be fine.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,067 posts | 548 
      Reply #61: May 12, 2014 11:56:44 am
      agree with whar you're saying, just hope that this nagging in my head about the almost 08/09 season,  then what happened the season after is just that. A bad memory.

I think this is a different situation. That season I thought we actually did bottle it. We were top at new year and then had a really poor Jan and Feb - played over-cautious and ended up with draws against teams we should have been beating. we finished that season well to make it close at the end, but basically had let it slip mid season when it was in our hands. I fully expected us to have a hangover next season after that.

This time, for all the media bleating about us blowing it, we basically played well the entire second half of the season and it was really just 1 bad touch/slip against Chelsea that cost us. We were positive and on the front foot for the last 5 months and if we keep that up we will be in the reckoning again.

Plus we have a young squad that will get better, we should have money to spend in the summer, and we don't have Hicks and Gillett bleeding us dry.
      I feel very optimistic about next season, whereas at the end of 08/09 to me it already felt like the end of the Rafa era.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #62: May 12, 2014 12:08:03 pm
      Absolutely loved it  ;D
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #63: May 12, 2014 01:46:52 pm
      Excellent season. Full of hope for the better to come, thanks all players, BR and staffs.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #64: May 12, 2014 02:14:21 pm
      I really don't understand those of you who are depressed and down about coming 2nd to the most expensively assembled team in the history of football. We would have had to win 14 games on the bounce to have won the league, has any top flight team ever accomplished this before?
      The original goal was CL and we ended up challenging for the title until the final game of the season, that is one hell of an achievement!!

The future is looking very very bright for us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #65: May 12, 2014 03:38:46 pm
      We had a great season, unlucky possibly, but plenty of fantastic performances, what has gone against us has been our lack of squad compared to City and Chelsea. That more than anything is were we need to improve and is the next step for the boss, building up the squad to have us fully challenging next season.

The Reds are coming up the hill!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #66: May 12, 2014 04:49:30 pm

No problems, I think everyone was on edge and feeling frustrated yesterday.

We had a great season, unlucky possibly, but plenty of fantastic performances, what has gone against us has been our lack of squad compared to City and Chelsea. That more than anything is were we need to improve and is the next step for the boss, building up the squad to have us fully challenging next season.

The Reds are coming up the hill!

Welcome back Huyton .... been a while mate?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #67: May 12, 2014 04:52:48 pm
      No problems, I think everyone was on edge and feeling frustrated yesterday.

Welcome back Huyton .... been a while mate?

Yep, work and then the title challenge, got a tad superstitious, you know how it goes.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #68: May 12, 2014 05:10:12 pm
      Yep, work and then the title challenge, got a tad superstitious, you know how it goes.

Yeah, I think we were all rubbing rabbits feet and crossing whatever we could mate, I wouldn't post in the match thread before games for about 7 weeks because we were winning.

Quick Reply