Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Dejan Lovren (Southampton)

Read 65809 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Re: Dejan Lovren (Southampton)
      Reply #598: Jul 25, 2014 08:56:31 pm
      Lovren has played predominately on the left side of the two centre backs for Southampton. Cannot say for sure about his Lyon days but I know for a fact he plays on the LCB position for Southampton.

I didn't realize this.  This really could mean the end of Agger's time here then because it would appear Lovren is capable of covering at both RCB and LCB with Skrtel and Sakho both primarily suited to one side over the other....
      Bier
      Reply #599: Jul 25, 2014 08:58:49 pm
      Lovren has played predominately on the left side of the two centre backs for Southampton. Cannot say for sure about his Lyon days but I know for a fact he plays on the LCB position for Southampton.
      Odd, I wasn't sure so I checked on transfermarkt and he's always positioned as a RCB on there so assumed that was right. Ofcourse Fonte is also right footed, so one of them had to play left. Either way, I'd still expect Lovren on the right for us, as he most definitely is right footed.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #600: Jul 25, 2014 09:12:09 pm
      Odd, I wasn't sure so I checked on transfermarkt and he's always positioned as a RCB on there so assumed that was right. Ofcourse Fonte is also right footed, so one of them had to play left. Either way, I'd still expect Lovren on the right for us, as he most definitely is right footed.
      He is right footed, and in fact prefers to play on the right, however, his greater positional versatility has nearly always led to him playing on the left. It makes sense really. If Fonte can't play on the left, and Lovren is almost as good on the left as the right, no points for whomever guesses where he'll end up.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #601: Jul 25, 2014 09:18:05 pm
      Just seen a YouTube video on van Dijk, he looks so comfortable on the ball and his passing for a centre back is superb. I think his style of play is risky, it could put a Premier League team (Southampton if he joins them) in the sh*t on the counter attack.

P.S. apologies for going off topic.

Seen a lot of Van Dijk, and as you say, his style of play is risky but he is a very solid defender. If given a chance I reckon he could easily make the step up in a Premier League team. I actually wouldn't have minded us going for him as he wouldn't have cost much. Solid defender, comfortable on the ball, great at set pieces (taking and attacking) but does have a tendency to bomb forward and leave the defensive line exposed.

Sorry for going off topic, just wanted to acknowledge your point on Van Dijk, MCarz!

As for Lovren; he hasn't done much to stand out as a brilliant defender imho. However, Brendan wanted him and has gotten him it seems. I don't care who we sign, as long as they produce the goods under BR's guidance. I feel Lovren would, in FM terms :D be a useful signing. :)
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #602: Jul 25, 2014 09:28:49 pm
      Much needed signing, desperately needed after the sheer lunacy/idiocy of Agger and Skrtel at times last year.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #603: Jul 25, 2014 09:35:01 pm
      Brendan likes footballers - and there's not many central defenders at actually playing with the ball at his feet. One thing for sure is we won't get mind numbing ball achingly dull back passes like Skrtel constantly does.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #604: Jul 25, 2014 10:33:32 pm
      Feel we are quite a nostalgic and sympathetic group of fans and club at times for players that perhaps aren't good enough but continue to be selected week in, week out season after season.
      I love danial and Martin for their dedication to the badge and at times their performances are great.
      But the centre of defense has been a huge issue for a long time
      Brendon now has his own centre back pairing in Sakho and Lovren.
      I have faith in the boss that the expenditure was necessary and that he has finally got 2 fellas he likes and trusts.
      Both are young and both are a few years from their projected peaks so for me this is a very astute and wise signing.
      Just means that we are going to see 2 other CB leave at the least.
      Happy with that
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,302 posts | 4949 
      Reply #605: Jul 26, 2014 01:05:39 am
      Brendon now has his own centre back pairing in Sakho and Lovren.

That's how I expect us to start the season.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #606: Jul 26, 2014 01:51:29 am
      I think in the long run he'll proven to be our best signing this summer. Not someone fancy but someone that'll deeply improve our organisation at the back.

I thought he was one of the best defenders in the league last season, and I can't think of any defenders in the PL that is better at passing and distributing then this lad (perhaps Agger). His passing range and accuracy is up there with some midfielders.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #607: Jul 26, 2014 02:05:29 am
      Much needed signing, desperately needed after the sheer lunacy/idiocy of Agger and Skrtel at times last year.
      And yet, strangely... all statistics show that they were a better partnership than Skrtel & Sakho. Yeah Skrtel had his problems last season but the overwhelming majority of them came when partnered with Sakho.

Feel we are quite a nostalgic and sympathetic group of fans and club at times for players that perhaps aren't good enough but continue to be selected week in, week out season after season.

It's weird how we read all things differently Lester because I see a group of fans quick to dismiss (and blame) loyal players because, rather than question the emperor about his 'new clothes', they accept what the herd consensus dictates.

'We' bought into the daft notion that Pepe was "in decline"; that replacing him would see the end to our defensive woes; that Migs was better. None of which were true but we can't blame him; it must be someone else... surely?

I know, let's just accept that Agger too is 'done'; at fault for our defensive frailties but guess what... we were stronger and kept more clean sheets with him than his replacement. Then on to Glen who's "sh*te" and "needs to be moved on" and yet, when you actually check... the two players with most clean sheets, under Brendan? And now?... Now it's Martin's turn, it seems.

Nah mate... at times we are as far removed from sympathetic and nostalgic as is humanly possible.  >:D

Anyhows... back to Dejan - if he's as good as they say and the leader we hope he is then play him alongside Agger.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #608: Jul 26, 2014 02:42:46 am
      And yet, strangely... all statistics show that they were a better partnership than Skrtel & Sakho. Yeah Skrtel had his problems last season but the overwhelming majority of them came when partnered with Sakho.
      It's weird how we read all things differently Lester because I see a group of fans quick to dismiss (and blame) loyal players because, rather than question the emperor about his 'new clothes', they accept what the herd consensus dictates.

'We' bought into the daft notion that Pepe was "in decline"; that replacing him would see the end to our defensive woes; that Migs was better. None of which were true but we can't blame him; it must be someone else... surely?

I know, let's just accept that Agger too is 'done'; at fault for our defensive frailties but guess what... we were stronger and kept more clean sheets with him than his replacement. Then on to Glen who's "sh*te" and "needs to be moved on" and yet, when you actually check... the two players with most clean sheets, under Brendan? And now?... Now it's Martin's turn, it seems.

Nah mate... at times we are as far removed from sympathetic and nostalgic as is humanly possible.  >:D

Anyhows... back to Dejan - if he's as good as they say and the leader we hope he is then play him alongside Agger.
      Could you please share those statistics?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #609: Jul 26, 2014 05:10:20 am

Statistics alone don't show the whole story though.  Last season my statistics were 2 goals in every 3 games - but the big clubs were not looking in the Queensland Masters Over 35s Division 2.  That is why people have opinions on what they see, as that tells more of the story.

Having said that, I do like statistics.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #610: Jul 26, 2014 05:41:42 am

I agreed with most of your post mate ... apart from this bit, I think Pepe was in decline. The fact that Mignolet has proved little better (if indeed he has been better) doesn't alter my belief. Just because you buy the wrong new car doesn't mean you were wrong to replace the old one. Just that your choice of which new car to buy was wrong.

I will admit that my hopes for Mignolet haven't come true so far. He is not the goalkeeper I hoped he would be.... yet (and in truth probably never will be), but Pepe was not the goalkeeper he had once been either. He let goals in that we knew not only would he have once saved, but that most keepers would save as a matter of course.

If I had to choose between the two I would probably stick with Mignolet, if I had my choice I would rather we bought a better goalkeeper.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #611: Jul 26, 2014 08:21:32 am
      I agreed with most of your post mate ... apart from this bit, I think Pepe was in decline. The fact that Mignolet has proved little better (if indeed he has been better) doesn't alter my belief. Just because you buy the wrong new car doesn't mean you were wrong to replace the old one. Just that your choice of which new car to buy was wrong.

I will admit that my hopes for Mignolet haven't come true so far. He is not the goalkeeper I hoped he would be.... yet (and in truth probably never will be), but Pepe was not the goalkeeper he had once been either. He let goals in that we knew not only would he have once saved, but that most keepers would save as a matter of course.

If I had to choose between the two I would probably stick with Mignolet, if I had my choice I would rather we bought a better goalkeeper.

Fair play to you mate on a very constructive comment.
      While I tend to agree on the merits and comparative skills of Mignolet if credible back up was available, or any back up for that matter, surely that would spur the lad on in an effort to secure his selection for a first team place.
      False economies in all their dubious glory, it is to be hoped the apparent change of tack by the owners sorts our goalie predicament out......
      and our defensive issues.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #612: Jul 26, 2014 08:56:31 am
      Could you please share those statistics?
      Google is your friend... I'm not. If you don't believe me: prove me wrong.

Statistics alone don't show the whole story though.  Last season my statistics were 2 goals in every 3 games - but the big clubs were not looking in the Queensland Masters Over 35s Division 2.
      Ha ha so true but then again; none of our lads were playing in the Queensland Masters Over 35s Division 2. They were all playing in the Premier League, for Liverpool.

Your belief is your belief s@int I'm not asking or expecting you to change it and (to be fair) your car analogy is a cracker.  :nod:

I would question your motives for replacing the old one so hastily - in your case it wasn't, as you believe, running as well as it used to but for others it was a purely financial decision - uneconomical to run. At least you've recognised you've bought the wrong car and ain't looking to blame the tyres or the diesel for it's average performance figures.

Obviously I would point to the fact that Pepe's stats had improved under Brendan, not declined but we've been over this before, without agreement, so no need to rehash it. [don't want the real point to be lost on people with less ability to comprehend the written word than your good self].

The point of my post was less about Pepe and more about refuting the claim that we are too nostalgic/sympathetic towards Danny and Martin, in particular and others in general... "players who perhaps aren't good enough".

Read the posts, over the past two seasons, on the lads concerned mate - 'we' are far from sympathetic. If anything we give more leeway to players brought in to 'replace' them and it doesn't just stop at defenders: check out Charlie Adam or Stewart Downing - sh*te weren't they? Then check the posts, by the very same people, on players bought to improve on them.

But anyway, back to the topic in hand... 

I'm hoping that Dejan can bring stability at the heart of defence. I'm hoping he's a starter. I'm hoping that, this season, there's less F***ing about with centre-half permutations and I'm hoping that, when we find the most solid partnership [clean sheets/goals conceded], unlike last season, we stick with it... even if it transpires that it doesn't include any 'new car'.

In my opinion (and only that) the best partnership may turn out to be Dejan and Danny (as long as Danny doesn't prove uneconomical to run).  ;D
      « Last Edit: Jul 26, 2014 09:24:08 am by bad boy bubby »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #613: Jul 26, 2014 09:07:24 am

I had a giggle at that piece of revisionism. Trying to tell the collective "we" that we were wrong with our opinions about Pepe's form was a daft one to try and pull off.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,215 posts | 4409 
      Reply #614: Jul 26, 2014 09:15:44 am
      Plenty of stats around Showing Downing with world class numbers on par with the best best midfielders around. Just shows you can use stats to prove or disprove any fact you like.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #615: Jul 26, 2014 09:17:36 am
      Plenty of stats around Showing Downing with world class numbers on par with the best best midfielders around. Just shows you can use stats to prove or disprove any fact you like.

Exactly. More often than not, it's better to just use your eyes.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #616: Jul 26, 2014 09:41:27 am
      Exactly. More often than not, it's better to just use your eyes.

I'd say you're better off using both, eyewitnesses are sh*t more than half the time, as has been said before and as I found out this week, after an incident at work. 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,475 posts | 3436 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #617: Jul 26, 2014 09:49:59 am
      I'd say you're better off using both, eyewitnesses are sh*t more than half the time, as has been said before and as I found out this week, after an incident at work. 

Spot on
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #618: Jul 26, 2014 09:51:43 am
      Indeed they can mate.

That, being the case, it should be easy enough for you to show the stats which disprove that the Skrtel & Agger partnership was more successful than the Skrtel & Sakho partnership.

The thing is, although we say we don't like stats, unless they suit, of course; I, for one, am genuinely hoping that our stats improve, on last season, with Dejan (and whoever his partner is) at the heart of defence...

... because; like it or not and irrespective of how uncomfortable they might make us feel (when they throw into doubt what we think we 'saw') - stats, like clean sheets/ goals conceded, actually do matter come the end of the season, whilst the things that we think we saw don't sadly.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #619: Jul 26, 2014 09:53:40 am
      Reminds me of Agger, but probably less prone to injury.

Quick Reply