Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?

Read 28953 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Does Brendan Need A Trophy *This* Season?
      Reply #92: Feb 28, 2015 12:11:08 am
      In my opinion Rodgers needs a trophy.

Some say domestic cups are meaningless.

Rodgers I bet disagrees.

Since he's on record multiple times saying Liverpool's target for this season is a trophy, then it's a safe bet to assume he disagrees. The bigger question is if we finish outside of the top four what happens if he doesn't win a trophy?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #93: Feb 28, 2015 07:17:12 am
      Since he's on record multiple times saying Liverpool's target for this season is a trophy, then it's a safe bet to assume he disagrees. The bigger question is if we finish outside of the top four what happens if he doesn't win a trophy?

A holiday in Boston maybe.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #94: Feb 28, 2015 08:26:43 am
      Well he's only got one chance now, to get a trophy and if he doesn't well he doesn't.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #95: Mar 01, 2015 08:26:25 am
      Well he's only got one chance now, to get a trophy and if he doesn't well he doesn't.

You are a F***ing nutter.

Screw missing. Never in my time on this forum have I seen a more unstable poster.

Strange, strange cat you are.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #96: Mar 01, 2015 11:57:11 am
      We have a great chance in the fa cup, especially with one of Manure or the arse going out next round.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #97: Mar 01, 2015 04:47:36 pm
      As the manager of Liverpool Football Club he needs a trophy every season. As great as it would be for us to clinch top 4 and get another chance to eat at the big boys' table there's nothing and I mean nothing as satisfying (in football) as seeing the lads lift a trophy it's almost as good as sex. Can anyone tell me that they or Brendan (for that matter) don't need sex?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #98: Mar 01, 2015 06:11:17 pm
      Would be a fantastic experience for our young lads to raise the FA Cup trophy over their heads, could transform some of them into entirely new players for the next season, i believe that confidence and self-esteem are one of the most important factors in football. If you really believe in yourself, and go on the pitch fearing noone, great things can happen.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #99: Mar 01, 2015 06:55:14 pm
      As the manager of Liverpool Football Club he needs a trophy every season.

See I can't be doing with this self entitlement from some fans.

The way the club was run over the last 8 years meant we deserved F**k all, along with mistakes made by FSG initially.

FSG have picked up the pieces to be fair to them, but it's always been a long term plan for both Rodgers and FSG - many see it as short term pain for long term gain. If Liverpool should be winning a trophy every year, then that must mean Houllier was a failure, and Benitez was a failure. It's unrealistic for any fan of any club to expect to win something every year.

I'm happy to see a couple of years of stability which provides us with a good foundation by getting in the top 4 and forming a good sustainable coaching structure after experiencing so much trauma the last 8 years. We need realistic expectations to build upon, not fanciful beliefs.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #100: Mar 01, 2015 07:04:04 pm
      I think when people talk of Brendan "needing" a trophy they forget where we were when he arrived. We had gotten into the habit of finishing 7th or thereabouts in the league under 3 different managers for three different seasons (which suggests to me that that was about how good we were) and had won the sum total of one Carling cup in the previous seven seasons (once again under three different managers).

Changing all that around isn't easy, and coming second in the league last season and almost winning it at his second attempt was a truly unbelievable effort. Winning multiple trophies though when not only starting from such a low base but also being outgunned financially ain't going to be easy. He doesn't "need" a trophy as far as I'm concerned, not when we go on runs like we're on at the moment.   
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #101: Mar 01, 2015 07:07:07 pm
      See I can't be doing with this self entitlement from some fans.

The way the club was run over the last 8 years meant we deserved f**k all, along with mistakes made by FSG initially.

FSG have picked up the pieces to be fair to them, but it's always been a long term plan for both Rodgers and FSG - many see it as short term pain for long term gain. If Liverpool should be winning a trophy every year, then that must mean Houllier was a failure, and Benitez was a failure. It's unrealistic for any fan of any club to expect to win something every year.

I'm happy to see a couple of years of stability which provides us with a good foundation by getting in the top 4 and forming a good sustainable coaching structure after experiencing so much trauma the last 8 years. We need realistic expectations to build upon, not fanciful beliefs.

A lot of good points. It hasn't been so long that we have trophy starvation (see Arsenal before last year, or Everton for the entirety of my life time). We should build ourselves up into a team which is truly feared on all fronts (domestically and in Europe) before demanding a trophy. As long as Rodger's can keep showing that he has a plan and that we will get there, he doesn't have any short term need for a trophy.

It would be bloody amazing though.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #102: Mar 01, 2015 07:11:10 pm
      It would be fantabulous to win the FA Cup this season but I actually think the first trophy Brendan  delivers will be the Title so next season will do for me  ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,310 posts | 4950 
      Reply #103: Mar 01, 2015 09:48:07 pm
      I think when people talk of Brendan "needing" a trophy they forget where we were when he arrived. We had gotten into the habit of finishing 7th or thereabouts in the league under 3 different managers for three different seasons (which suggests to me that that was about how good we were) and had won the sum total of one Carling cup in the previous seven seasons (once again under three different managers).

Changing all that around isn't easy, and coming second in the league last season and almost winning it at his second attempt was a truly unbelievable effort. Winning multiple trophies though when not only starting from such a low base but also being outgunned financially ain't going to be easy. He doesn't "need" a trophy as far as I'm concerned, not when we go on runs like we're on at the moment.   

I get what you're saying Mick but at some point even you will expect Brendan to deliver some sort of silverware.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #104: Mar 02, 2015 01:20:14 pm
      Yes he's needed one for years unless you win something your not talked about as a great manager, Wenger won the title and the odd cup whilst not wasting cash and by keeping Arsenal as a CL side for the past 10yrs so for Brendan he would like to add to our extansive silverware so his name can be in the books.
      i think we've won the FA cup as i feel we want it more than UTD,Arsenal and we are to strong for the others in there. if we get past Blackburn which we will and get a decent semi draw.(winner of Villa game) knowbody is taking away that cup from us.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #105: Mar 02, 2015 02:12:22 pm
      we'd all love a trophy but 4th is the only target... cups will come in time

also Brendans record in cups is really bad. This seasons league cup run was the first time as manger he'd managed ANY team past ANY 5th round, of ANY cup competition.

thats why Im not overly suprised at (both) our exits in the European comps. Managing cup ties is a specific skill... but like his players, Im sure he'll get!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #106: Mar 02, 2015 03:29:38 pm
      we'd all love a trophy but 4th is the only target

Speak for yourself.  I want Liverpool to win something this season AND finish as high as possible.  I don't count the opportunity to look like chumps in 6 Champions League games as an historic achievement in Liverpool's history books.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #107: Mar 02, 2015 03:57:22 pm
      Every Liverpool manager needs a trophy every season. If he fails in that task, he should be disappointed.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 456 
      Reply #108: Mar 02, 2015 06:30:45 pm
      I would want him to win a trophy.  And I think he deserves it.  I think turning the season around from November was a massive achievement under pressure backs to the wall.  He has blended young players in the squad very very quickly.  8 new players at the start of the season 9 if you count Ibe.   Spurs took 18 months to turn them remotely as a team.  He has done it in a few months that is a big big achievement for me. 

But winning trophies it is the ultimate it is what strengthens our history.  It would be brilliant for the youngsters to get a taste of winning medals an experience that will improve their winning mentality.   But the topic is about does he as a manager desperately need it.  I don't think for this season.  But he needs to win trophies to have a long prosperous career here.  So the earlier the better.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #109: Mar 03, 2015 09:48:24 am
      Speak for yourself.  I want Liverpool to win something this season AND finish as high as possible.  I don't count the opportunity to look like chumps in 6 Champions League games as an historic achievement in Liverpool's history books.

You’re right but that’s not the target of the club and most modern fans.

Finishing outside the top 4 but winning both FA cup and League cup for 10 years in a row wouldn’t give us the funds or clout to attract the top players

It’s all about regular CL like it or not...

*EDIT
      i needed to add that cup wins of any kind are of course wanted but they are a BONUS to any season. So and FA cup win this year would great, but I'd prefer 3rd or 4th as a prioirty over any cup
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #110: Mar 03, 2015 10:11:03 am

Finishing outside the top 4 but winning both FA cup and League cup for 10 years in a row wouldn’t give us the funds or clout to attract the top players  :P

*EDIT
      i needed to add that cup wins of any kind are of course wanted but they are a BONUS to any season. So and FA cup win this year would great, but I'd prefer 3rd or 4th as a prioirty over any cup

So we need to finish in the top 4 every season, to insure that we have the funds to buy players to enable us to finish in the top 4 every season?

Top four is NOT an achievement in.the long term.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,471 posts | 4592 
      Reply #111: Mar 03, 2015 10:37:36 am
      It's a must, I don't care how some dress it up Rodgers needs Silverware, I'd hate to see us become Arsenal.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #112: Mar 03, 2015 11:00:23 am
      So we need to finish in the top 4 every season, to insure that we have the funds to buy players to enable us to finish in the top 4 every season?

Top four is NOT an achievement in.the long term.

no... if thats what ive said I mis-explained.

A Top 4 posisiton - be it 2nd 3rd or 4th -  is and should be the priority in the short term ONLY as its the ONLY way we can start to compete with the big boys long term.

so you are correct in saying "Top four is NOT an achievement in the long term"... but its the only thing that counts in the short term. Without regular CL football we will NEVER compete for the league year in year out, which is what we all want!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #113: Mar 03, 2015 11:24:38 am
      It's a must, I don't care how some dress it up Rodgers needs Silverware, I'd hate to see us become Arsenal.

I don't know what we have to do to "become" Arsenal. We've won the princely sum total of one trophy in the last nine seasons (with a bit to play for in this one), so it's about time we stopped peddling this myth that we are trophy machines. That's happened under four different managers too, only Kenny Dalglish has won anything at all during that period. Not only did Brendan have to address the fact that we have long since stopped winning trophies regularly, he also had to address the fact that under the three managers which preceeded him we had gotten into the habit of finishing in and around seventh in the league (we'd done it for three seasons so it was no blip).

Step one for me was to get our league position sorted. Given we haven't won it for 20 seasons or more, to almost win it in his second season was an incredible effort. Even this time after a terrible start, it's looking likely Brendan will improve on the latest league efforts of the three managers who preceeded him, so all things being equal I think it's fairly clear that he's doing a fine job. Obviously if he wins the FA Cup it'll be a huge bonus on top, but importantly for me, EVEN IF HE DOESN'T IT DOESN'T ALTER THE FACT THAT HE'S DONE A HUGE JOB SO FAR.   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,310 posts | 4950 
      Reply #114: Mar 03, 2015 11:57:04 am

Finishing outside the top 4 but winning both FA cup and League cup for 10 years in a row wouldn’t give us the funds or clout to attract the top players

We'll I don't like it.

The club and modern fans are wrong in my opinion and if all I had to look forward to was finishing 3rd/4th every season and 'competing' in the CL then it depresses the hell out of me.

Quick Reply