Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Serge Aurier (Toulouse)

Read 8037 times
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 991 posts | 71 
      Serge Aurier (Toulouse)
      Jun 03, 2014 11:03:59 am
      Seeing as both full back positions were our greatest areas for concern last season, the imminent arrival of Moreno to cover the left flank I wonder what the consensus is for the right flank.

Do we keep Johnson with Flanno as cover; do we play Flanno with Johnson as cover or should we dispose with Johnson altogether and buy someone else?

Recent rumours have us linked with hijacking Arsenal target Serge Aurier of Toulouse.

I actually think that at £9.8M this could be a savvy bit of business considering we're also being linked with Southampton's Nathaniel Clyne who is being touted circa £15M.

Liverpool could hijack deal for Arsenal's defensive target
      Serge Aurier has long been a target for London club Arsenal, but now talks have stopped and Liverpool are rumoured to be interested in the defender.

Arsenal have been dealt a potential blow in the race for Toulouse FC defender Serge Aurier last night.

While speaking to national radio station RMC Sport, Aurier’s agent announced that there was no agreement with Arsenal for the 21-year-old, he admitted that there had been talks in the past, but talks were not currently ongoing.

To makes things worse, he revealed that they were in talks with another Premier League club, with Liverpool rumoured to be that second club.

It looks like Premier League clubs will now battle for Aurier’s signature, and it would be a huge coup for Liverpool if they could steal in and secure a deal for the defender and would be a signal of intent of their intentions this summer.

Aurier would be a fantastic signing for Liverpool, the right-back enjoyed a sensational season in Ligue 1, contributing six goals and six assists while putting in impressive defensive performances for Le Téfécé.

His attributes make him ready-made for the Premier League, he is quick and strong, can play anywhere along the back-line and can even be pushed forward into the attack.

Aurier would battle with Glen Johnson for the right-back spot, but Johnson is not known for his defensive abilities, this is where Aurier would be an improvement, but without compromising on the attacking intentions.

It would cost around €12 million to prise the highly-rated youngster from France, but there is little doubt he is worth every penny. He was named one of the 50 best young players in France by French Football Weekly for the third year in a row, he also won their award for being the best young player in France.

SEE ALSO: Why Arsenal target Serge Aurier is the best young defender in Europe

Aurier is a self-confessed Arsenal fan, and the London club would remain the favourites if they were to begin talks again. However, with the talks on hold, there is a chance that Liverpool could steal in and complete a deal for the defender if they were genuinely interested.

The right-back is set to start for the Ivory Coast in this summer’s World Cup, it would be smart for both clubs if they worked to get a deal done before he bursts onto the scene while in Brazil.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/06/03/ag-liverpool-could-hijack-deal-for-arsenals-defensive-target/
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Re: Serge Aurier (Toulouse)
      Reply #1: Jun 03, 2014 12:12:55 pm
      I'd buy him just to piss off Arsenal fans, if I'm honest.
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 03, 2014 01:10:20 pm
      He's an Arsenal fan so I don't think we will get him tbh.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3: Jun 03, 2014 01:31:12 pm
      I F***ing hated him until I finally got him in my pack of Panini stickers to complete Ivory Coast yesterday.

I mean in my son's pack of Panic I stickers.... ahem
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #4: Jun 03, 2014 02:16:39 pm
      Never seen him play but I like the line about "Why Serge Aurier is the best young defender in Europe!" 

I like Johno and think he gets more criticism than he deserves, but I wouldn't be opposed to selling him if it meant getting a better player in to take his place.  I do think that in BR's tactical setup our fullbacks are tasked with running the entire flank practically on their own which tends to lend itself to a younger player.  Glen seems to be slowing down a bit over the last season or two, so I am not sure he has much time left in him of being able to motor up and down the flank the way BR likes...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Jun 03, 2014 03:55:40 pm
      I F***ing hated him until I finally got him in my pack of Panini stickers to complete Ivory Coast yesterday.

I mean in my son's pack of Panic I stickers.... ahem

Haha a mate of mine over there has a Panini sticker album for his "daughter". He went nuts when he got the full England team.

Seen Red5man post good things about this kid. That's good enough for me. Get him in.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: Jun 03, 2014 06:54:23 pm
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvZbWVraOQE#ws

Apparently, he's going to Arsenal
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 03, 2014 07:57:38 pm
      Would like to see Flanagan given a decent crack this season rather than being seen only as a back up choice. I thought he had a great season just gone, and wonder why he isn't being persevered with/ given the confidence to start the season as the number one choice? Buy someone else in January if he hasn't taken his chance.

I'm a big Nat Clyne fan, and would love to see him in our team, but not at £15 mill, and I don't know that he would be that significant an upgrade on Flanagan or Johnson anyway. He's not even a guaranteed starter at Southampton these days with chambers now coming through.

If we have £15 mill there to use, put some faith in Flanno to cement his spot, and use that cash to pin down a top tier signing that we might otherwise deem out of reach.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #8: Jun 03, 2014 09:36:25 pm
      Flanagan did well but nowhere near the quality that's needed for Champions League. Not to say he won't keep getting better but some folks got a bit carried away with penciling him in as the long term starter. He could still use to compete for his job.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Jun 03, 2014 10:04:03 pm
      If he's anywhere as good as that article states, then bring him in!
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #10: Jun 09, 2014 07:17:38 am
      This guy seems very versatile. Has played half the games last season at Center back (both right sided & left sided), a couple as DM and the rest as a right wing back. For the price quoted, he would be a steal. This is the versatile defender we should be targeting, not Micah Richards
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #11: Jun 15, 2014 03:22:51 am
      Just played in a magnificent cross for Bony to make it 1-1.

Oh wow, and another straight after 2-1
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #12: Jun 15, 2014 04:10:17 am
      He really does look amazing, shame he's off to Arsenal :(
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #13: Jun 15, 2014 06:42:34 am
      Never seen him in my life before the Ivory Coast game but wow can that lad cross the ball from the flank!

Aurier is Andy Carroll's wet dream.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Jun 15, 2014 09:18:06 am
      Never seen him in my life before the Ivory Coast game but wow can that lad cross the ball from the flank!

Aurier is Andy Carroll's wet dream.

If Carroll even knew where this mysterious 18 yard box is :D
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #15: Jun 19, 2014 05:52:04 pm
      What a talent.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16: Jun 19, 2014 06:51:39 pm
      Looks good judging by this game
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #17: Jun 19, 2014 07:06:02 pm
      Looks a top talent for his position. Quick, smart, aggressive, and crosses a ball as well as anyone could.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #18: Jun 20, 2014 03:54:39 pm
      Aurier looks fantastic for the Ivory Coast. My only question is, because it's dangerous to buy players off of international tournaments, how was he at Toulouse? I don't watch the French league much.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: Jun 20, 2014 04:32:00 pm
      Aurier looks fantastic for the Ivory Coast. My only question is, because it's dangerous to buy players off of international tournaments, how was he at Toulouse? I don't watch the French league much.

Never seen him play other than in this World Cup BUT he scored 6 goals last season which is a decent return considering how few goals Johnson scored last season. He got booked 11 times though in 34 matches so you could say he likes a battle too.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #20: Jun 21, 2014 08:42:20 pm
      Apparently he has agreed terms with Arsenal 5 year contract 60k a week.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #21: Jun 21, 2014 08:56:38 pm
      If that's true you have to admire the way other big clubs identify targets and get their business wrapped up.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #22: Jun 22, 2014 05:16:55 am
      If that's true you have to admire the way other big clubs identify targets and get their business wrapped up.
      We have already signed two players. 

Quick Reply