Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 292078 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #1012: Jan 25, 2016 01:35:23 pm
      Can people stop comparing him to Stevie/Jordan etc...hes 22...young and is a big strong player

And people will say 'yeah but stevie was bossing games at that age' no he wasn't, he was having an influence, but he only started to boss them when he dragged us to the CL - age 25

But thats no comparison to draw with Hendo either, the game has changed now...the overall level is much higher than it was 10 years ago when the only real competition for Gerrard was Vieira, Lampard or Keane.

Now every side tries to get a Gerrard style midfield player so its harder for these players to stand out in the way stevie did.

2005 midfields would have been
      Arsenal - Vieira, Gilberto
      Chelsea - Lampard, Makelele
      City - Claudio f*ing Reyna, Joey Barton
      United - Keane, Scholes
      Tottenham - Carrick and Teemu Tainio

Compare that to now when the league contains Toure, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Wilshere, Delph, Matic, Eriksen, Herrera...

List goes on, point being that there is an oversaturation of quality players who can play in a central midfield position be it attacking or defensive.

Therefore harder for a player to stand out.

I think those 2005 midfields are actually better...  :couch:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1013: Jan 25, 2016 03:23:24 pm
      Can is in such a rough period right now. He's talented, but he doesn't seem like he's completely focused, being lackadaisical and thinking he has more time on the ball than he really does. I think he needs to be benched for a little while to get things straight.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,153 posts | 3385 
      Reply #1014: Jan 25, 2016 06:53:08 pm
      And people will say 'yeah but stevie was bossing games at that age' no he wasn't, he was having an influence, but he only started to boss them when he dragged us to the CL - age 25

Don't be so F***ing daft.

And just to give you a nod in the right direction, Gerrard was 24 when we won the European Cup.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1015: Jan 25, 2016 07:02:21 pm
      Don't be so f**king daft.

And just to give you a nod in the right direction, Gerrard was 24 when we won the European Cup.

Yeah too right he was bossing games. That's why Houllier took the arm band of Hyypia and gave it to Stevie.

It's true that he started adding a lot more goals to his game when Benitez arrived, though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #1016: Jan 26, 2016 01:52:17 am
      Can people stop comparing him to Stevie/Jordan etc...hes 22...young and is a big strong player

But thats no comparison to draw with Hendo either, the game has changed now...the overall level is much higher than it was 10 years ago when the only real competition for Gerrard was Vieira, Lampard or Keane.

Talking out of your arse here, Steven was bossing games from a lot earlier, you forgotten him battering Keane all over Anfield in the game in which he scored round about March 2001.

Think you've also forgotten a few other midfielders such as Makelele and Petit. In fact I don't think the overall level is much higher, in fact imo it's got worse. Any of those midfielders plus the couple I've mentioned and including Didi would still boss any midfield in the league in their prime today.

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1017: Jan 26, 2016 10:40:14 pm
      This guy needs to get his head sorted out.

He's been appalling of late, so stupid and slow witted it has been unreal. Has the lad got a brain at all? F***ing use it for once in your life.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1018: Jan 27, 2016 05:38:58 am
      Was the first lad I wanted subbed today, thought he was terrible but he does have an engine in him. Doesn't stop running.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1019: Jan 27, 2016 11:04:25 am
      I think Jürgen left him on for the penalties personally.  Shame he missed it after such a poor performance but that's football for you  ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,153 posts | 3385 
      Reply #1020: Jan 27, 2016 11:39:14 am

No he does mate.

The one where Mignolet rushed to the edge of the box, their player (can't remember who it was) reacted much quicker than Can who then just stood there and watched him as the Stoke player carried on running unmarked into the box. Vin Ginkel's effort at the end, Can just stood about watching another midfielder run past him. The two efforts Walters had, Can is lumbering about while Stoke have midfielders running off him - although not in too dangerous areas because Walters was always looking to shoot.

And then there's the goal. Can is nearest to Walters when he brings the ball down initially then, as usual, just lets his man run away untroubled while Lucas is trying to stop Walters, Bojan and keep an eye on, I think, Affelay. (that's before I get into the Naismith goal from Norwich where Can watched him and still let him run away with no effort to get back)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3afpQWTBCXQ

Just before the four minute mark in that video is their goal, Can is nearest to Walters when they win the ball. He makes no attempt to stop him or get back to help out. He actually stops on the halfway line, then makes a token effort to look like he has tried but makes sure he's far enough away to escape blame.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #1021: Jan 27, 2016 12:12:04 pm
      He hasn't been at his best recently but I think we need to remember he is still younger that the likes of Teixeira who can't get near the first team.

I'd keep playing him more often than not so he can develop further for next season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,431 posts | 6422 
      Reply #1022: Jan 27, 2016 08:43:23 pm
      He hasn't been at his best recently but I think we need to remember he is still younger that the likes of Teixeira who can't get near the first team.

I'd keep playing him more often than not so he can develop further for next season.

Develop what, the idea that he doesn't have to create assists, score goals or work hard to stay in the team? That's a great way for him to develop.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,716 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1023: Jan 27, 2016 08:46:19 pm
      I don't know what to think of this kid he loses the ball so often it must drive klopp mad. if he wants to "develop" then start by keeping the ball and not getting caught and he will be a much better player just for doing that
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1024: Jan 27, 2016 11:02:54 pm
      I think he is just being over played and needs a rest, not just for his body but at his age mentally.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #1025: Jan 27, 2016 11:11:58 pm
      Develop what, the idea that he doesn't have to create assists, score goals or work hard to stay in the team? That's a great way for him to develop.

A full season in the league will benefit him going forward FL.

He hasn't been at his best recently and I'd drop him out for the next game but there is definitely a top player there which I think Jürgen sees and he's playing him because he sees him as the future at he club.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2016 11:46:22 pm by srslfc »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1026: Jan 27, 2016 11:22:30 pm

He hasn't been at his best recently and I'd drop him out for he next game but there is definitely a top player there which I think Jürgen sees and he's playing him because he sees him as the future at he club.

Agreed Si.

I'm a fan of Emre's but he's without doubt been woeful recently. He looks a little jaded and his awareness from runners coming from behind him, or lack there of, is really irritating me. Having said that everyone can see how well Joe has done recently and still Jürgen persists with Emre, that in itself is a hint of what Jürgen thinks of Can, there is plenty to develop on, there is massive potential but he must start fulfilling it and learning from his errors.

I was impressed with his stamina yesterday, I didn't expect him to be putting himself about the pitch the way he was still deep into the 2nd half of extra time, that was something I didn't realise was in his locker. He's quicker than people give him credit for but he still turns like a tanker and must start to be productive with his runs. At one point I thought he could be a Yaya Toure type and I'm starting to lose faith in that, a little spell out the side might indeed be the order of the day for Emre.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,716 posts | 7164 
      Reply #1027: Jan 27, 2016 11:43:21 pm
      the league now almost takes second place to the Cups we are still involved with so I think he just needs a bench session just to freshen up his mind I think he has huge potential definitely one for the long term .
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1028: Jan 29, 2016 09:00:27 am
      No he does mate.

The one where Mignolet rushed to the edge of the box, their player (can't remember who it was) reacted much quicker than Can who then just stood there and watched him as the Stoke player carried on running unmarked into the box. Vin Ginkel's effort at the end, Can just stood about watching another midfielder run past him. The two efforts Walters had, Can is lumbering about while Stoke have midfielders running off him - although not in too dangerous areas because Walters was always looking to shoot.

And then there's the goal. Can is nearest to Walters when he brings the ball down initially then, as usual, just lets his man run away untroubled while Lucas is trying to stop Walters, Bojan and keep an eye on, I think, Affelay. (that's before I get into the Naismith goal from Norwich where Can watched him and still let him run away with no effort to get back)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3afpQWTBCXQ

Just before the four minute mark in that video is their goal, Can is nearest to Walters when they win the ball. He makes no attempt to stop him or get back to help out. He actually stops on the halfway line, then makes a token effort to look like he has tried but makes sure he's far enough away to escape blame.

Ok, so maybe he does, but most of the time he's on his bike trying to get there.

You don't have to get factual evidence to debunk my story.  ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,431 posts | 6422 
      Reply #1029: Jan 29, 2016 02:04:47 pm

He hasn't been at his best recently and I'd drop him out for the next game but there is definitely a top player there which I think Jürgen sees and he's playing him because he sees him as the future at he club.

I'm not so sure anymore.  I had really high hopes for this kid, but he seems to be more in the mold of a non-thinker. Players shouldn't ever get dispossessed from behind by someone 3 and 4 times a game...especially when I'm sure his teammates are probably shouting to him that someone's coming to mark him.

If you contrast he and Lallana for instance, I think Can gets a lot of slack because he's young and has potential...Lallana has a track record of being a class player (at Soton) but because he's "older" he gets no grace.

If you compare their offensive and defensive stats, I'd be surprised if Can comes close to Lallana's production on either side of the ball...yet he's afforded infinite grace where Lallana has to be world class every game to keep his player thread from devolving into a hate fest.

You could insert Milner for Lallana as well and the same story I believe would apply, just for those that point out that I favor Lallana.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,153 posts | 3385 
      Reply #1030: Jan 29, 2016 06:49:58 pm
      Ok, so maybe he does, but most of the time he's on his bike trying to get there.

If he's on his bike mate, it's one with the stabilisers still on.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #1031: Jan 29, 2016 06:52:23 pm
      He is very poor.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1032: Feb 02, 2016 09:43:35 pm
      Disgraceful performance what a bag of sh*te this lad was. Will lose a little respect for Klopp of this muppet starts on the weekend a truly F***ing awful performance from a player that looks disinterested and thinks he's better than he truly is.

Could give up the kebabs too
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #1033: Feb 02, 2016 09:44:07 pm
      Disgraceful performance what a bag of sh*te this lad was. Will lose a little respect for Klopp of this muppet starts on the weekend a truly f**king awful performance from a player that looks disinterested and thinks he's better than he truly is.

Could give up the kebabs too

He was better than Henderson and Lucas.

Frankly the whole midfield was a disgrace
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1034: Feb 02, 2016 09:44:41 pm
      He was better than Henderson and Lucas.

Frankly the whole midfield was a disgrace

To be fair, I was better than Henderson and Lucas tonight.

Quick Reply