Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea)

Read 18985 times
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea)
      Reply #23: Jul 02, 2014 05:35:48 am
      From Tony Barrett's latest article -

A move for Bertrand is also being lined up, with Chelsea understood to value the left back at about £8 million. Rodgers is a long time admirer of the 24-year-old, having worked with him at Chelsea’s academy, and wanted to sign him on loan last January only for Aston Villa to secure the defender’s services on a temporary basis after José Mourinho ruled against him joining Liverpool. Rodgers believes Bertrand represents superior value to Moreno and Chelsea are now understood to be willing to sanction a permanent move to Anfield as long as their valuation is matched.

Andy Hunter -

Liverpool’s attempt to sign Alberto Moreno remains at deadlock with Sevilla demanding £20m for the left-back, £4m above the offer on the table, and insistent that their financial problems have been alleviated by Rakitic’s sale to Barcelona. That has prompted Rodgers to rekindle his interest in Bertrand, who impressed the Liverpool manager on loan at Aston Villa last season. He will test Chelsea’s resolve to keep the 24-year-old, following the departure of Ashley Cole and their having missed out to Manchester United on Luke Shaw, with an official approach this week.

Is he even comparable to Moreno?  :-\
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #24: Jul 02, 2014 07:49:01 am
      Why???!!!!!!

This is why I bi*ch and moan so much about BR's targets. I still feel he is average when it comes to transfers.

What about Ricardo Rodriguez? Or Rojo? Both have impressed me this world cup. Why is Rodgers resorting to a very average left back?

So frustrating. If you buy average players you'll eventually end up as an average team.

The one season we get Champions League football and the ability to attract top players.. Yet we end up with a bunch if players who'd join even if we were not playing in the champions league. The way I see it is, if he is not good enough for Chelsea even as 2nd choice, then why should he be good enough for us? Why does Brendan continue to buy average players who belong at average clubs? It completely baffles me. Same goes for Rickie Lambert - why?! He is so average!

Let's blow this Suarez money on sh*te and finish below manure. Such a joke if this transfer happens.
      « Last Edit: Jul 02, 2014 07:59:52 am by CoutinhoRed »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #25: Jul 02, 2014 08:10:42 am
      Why???!!!!!!

This is why I bi*ch and moan so much about BR's targets. I still feel he is average when it comes to transfers.

What about Ricardo Rodriguez? Or Rojo? Both have impressed me this world cup. Why is Rodgers resorting to a very average left back?

So frustrating. If you buy average players you'll eventually end up as an average team.

The one season we get Champions League football and the ability to attract top players.. Yet we end up with a bunch if players who'd join even if we were not playing in the champions league. The way I see it is, if he is not good enough for Chelsea even as 2nd choice, then why should he be good enough for us? Why does Brendan continue to buy average players who belong at average clubs? It completely baffles me. Same goes for Rickie Lambert - why?! He is so average!

Let's blow this Suarez money on sh*te and finish below manure. Such a joke if this transfer happens.

Mate just shut up please. Brendan knows what he's doing F**k sake.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: Jul 02, 2014 08:17:42 am
      Mate just shut up please. Brendan knows what he's doing F**k sake.

This. So much.

Stop losing your sh*t over articles.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #27: Jul 02, 2014 08:30:29 am
      Mate just shut up please. Brendan knows what he's doing f**k sake.

Mate, this is a forum so if you don't like what I'm saying, then kindly F**k off and put me on ignore.

Cissokho, Moses, Aspas.. Yes, he's a genius with transfers.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #28: Jul 02, 2014 08:38:18 am
      This. So much.

Stop losing your sh*t over articles.

Sorry mate. If it happens can I lose my sh*t over it then? Or shall I wait and reserve judgement? Or shall we just praise every signing BR makes despite how many poor transfers he has made.

I've seen Bertrand many occasions. I hope we do not sign him.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #29: Jul 02, 2014 08:40:27 am
      Sorry mate. If it happens can I lose my sh*t over it then? Or shall I wait and reserve judgement? Or shall we just praise every signing BR makes despite how many poor transfers he has made.

I've seen Bertrand many occasions. I hope we do not sign him.

Just wait and see if it happens at all first. We get you don't like him.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #30: Jul 02, 2014 09:23:05 am
      Why???!!!!!!

Everyone would be disappointed on 'downscaling' the LB target from Moreno to Bertrand. But accusing Lambert, Lallana et all even before they have sported a LFC jersey is just scandalous, and BR specifically. This man has got us playing the best football the Club has seen for a quarter century. I'm sure you would hv cribbed n cried when we signed Coutinho & Sturridge, may be you still do about Hendo & Allen.

Targeting Bertrand could mean he is ready to gamble with him & Enrique for 1 more year. Probably we are getting a brilliant right back before September and flogging off Johnson. Muster some patience and wait until Sep 1 fgs
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #31: Jul 02, 2014 10:44:03 am
      He seems pretty quick and likes a battle, however, he's not any better than Enrique so it seems pointless in all honesty. £8m is a joke of a quote too. Starting to get the feeling that Brendan doesn't want too many youngsters taking up slots in our HG quota for EPL and CL.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #32: Jul 02, 2014 11:10:26 am

What about Ricardo Rodriguez? Or Rojo? Both have impressed me this world cup.

El-Hadji Diouf impressed at a World Cup. :)

xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #33: Jul 02, 2014 11:40:34 am
      Regardless of any opinions on the lad, I doubt Chelsea would be willing to sell us anyone after how much of a bargain the Sturridge deal turned out to be on our end.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #34: Jul 02, 2014 01:20:51 pm
      would rather Cole on a free as a short term option
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #35: Jul 02, 2014 07:03:53 pm

But also a myth that we signed Diouf and Diao on their World cup performances. There was rumours about both signing before and I even remember when they were announcing the teams between France and Senegal (1st game of that world cup), the commentator mentioned "Salif Diao who has signed a pre contract deal with Liverpool) or along those lines :)

I remember because I bunked off school with my French friend to watch the game and he was clearly not happy afterwards  ;D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #36: Jul 02, 2014 07:18:27 pm

And Phil Babb...
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #37: Jul 02, 2014 07:29:00 pm
      While we're on the subject of WC performances. Cheeky bid for the USA right back Yedlin? ;)
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #38: Jul 02, 2014 09:01:49 pm
      I like Yedlin and Fabian johnson from the US team.
      Jermaine jones has also been great.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,133 posts | 127 
      Reply #39: Jul 02, 2014 09:13:37 pm
      :

so did Phil Babb    :f_doh:
      LFCexiled
      Reply #40: Jul 02, 2014 09:24:13 pm

That name should really be added to the swear filter. ;)
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #41: Jul 02, 2014 10:05:25 pm
      Not convinced he would represent an improvement upon Enrique or Flanno at LB.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #42: Jul 02, 2014 10:54:07 pm
      I still feel danny Rose is a better bet.
      He just needs some great coaching.
      He is a natural athlete and a potential great player if tutored well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #43: Jul 02, 2014 10:57:42 pm
      Personally I don't think much of Bertrand but I'm a big believer of the manager getting the players he wants and if he sees something in him thenI'm happy to see  how it pans out.

I just hope he isn't a cheaper option because we can't get a deal closed on Moreno who seems to be the managers first choice.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #44: Jul 02, 2014 11:05:59 pm
      Personally I don't think much of Bertrand but I'm a big believer of the manager getting the players he wants and if he sees something in him thenI'm happy to see  how it pans out.

I just hope he isn't a cheaper option because we can't get a deal closed on Moreno who seems to be the managers first choice.

Aye, don't like the idea of your last sentence mate, would rather just overpay the few million to get a first choice player.

Have never really noticed Bertrand, watched games with him involved in a good few times but he's never stood out as bad or good in my eyes. In some ways that could be seen as a good thing but I believe our system relies on heavy influence from our wing-backs and do I believe Bertrand is the kind of player who could carry that burden, not at the minute.

Totally agree with you that if it's the manager's choice then I back it but personally believe there are an awful lot better out there.

For perspective we were linked with Coentrao, Marcelo, Cole, Siqueira, Moreno - Bertrand doesn't quite seem in that league, hope to be very surprised if it does happen.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #45: Jul 02, 2014 11:57:00 pm
      I like Yedlin and Fabian johnson from the US team.
      Jermaine jones has also been great.

Johnson has already moved clubs. And he can be vulnerable defensively. Would love him here for squad depth though. Yedlin is young and very quick. Not sure how he would do in the English game but if he is super cheap then maybe. But definitely not as a first choice back right away. And Jones is way too inconsistent for me.

The only player on the U.S. that I feel could walk right into our starting XI is Howard. World Class keeper IMO and not just because of that Belgium game. Obviously no chance I am just pointing that out.

Quick Reply