Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Liverpool and the south American market

Read 1826 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,337 posts | 2864 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Liverpool and the south American market
      Jun 28, 2014 10:51:13 pm
      Why is our history of getting in the best talent from South America so poor? Aside from Lucas what players have we signed from that region directly? Suarez, Coutinho Maxi Masch where all signed from other European clubs

Looking ta this world cup the best goalkeeprs  I've seen have been from Chile and Colombia. Best attacking footballers have been from that region and some of the best defenders. There's huge talent there and always has been. Yet we rarely make signings from there. The most annoying aspect of which is you would most likely sign a player far cheaper directly from a club from hat region then if you were to sign them from another European club. 

Just as an example and Im not running the player down not in any form, but Lallana for 25 million. How many players of his ability are out in South America now that could be got for a fifth of that price?

Why are we so slow in that market?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Re: Liverpool and the south American market
      Reply #1: Jun 28, 2014 10:55:13 pm
      I'd say it's the chances of getting work permits secured that stop us most of the time.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2: Jun 29, 2014 10:00:13 am
      Barca seem to do most of their scouting in that part of the world. Messi and Ronaldo being a couple of the gems they have picked up.
      There is clearly a lot of potential in South America that goes under the radar of the European clubs. Definitely worth exploring that market more.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #3: Jun 29, 2014 10:22:36 am
      Barca seem to do most of their scouting in that part of the world. Messi and Ronaldo being a couple of the gems they have picked up.
      There is clearly a lot of potential in South America that goes under the radar of the European clubs. Definitely worth exploring that market more.

Messi they brought over as a kid

Ronaldo they picked up from Holland

As io said there is an issue with work permits that stops a lot of European leagues getting players direct from South America..
      Mark Gonzalez and Gabriel Palleta if I remember right we had those types of issues with

That Joel Campbell that's on Arsenal's books has the same issues which is why they have had to loan him in Greece to attain qualification levels for the permit
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #4: Jun 29, 2014 10:41:21 am
      I think there's a language element as well - not really surprising that the young players who do move end up in Spain, Portugal or even Italy.

Probably ridiculously simplistic but when you consider we are generally talking about kids I can understand both them and their parents gravitating in that direction.

To that end climate may be a factor in some cases too - again I get it may sound too obvious but I do think it's about managing all the adjustments to concentrate on the football development.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Jun 29, 2014 11:24:02 am
      There's also the "co-ownership" issue which I believe is illegal in this country but not in other European countries.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8646 
      Reply #6: Jun 29, 2014 04:59:10 pm
      Why is our history of getting in the best talent from South America so poor? 

Curtis Warren never had this problem!
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 29, 2014 05:13:54 pm

Sorry wrong Ronaldo ;D

Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #8: Jun 30, 2014 08:45:57 am
      Taking into account those that have played/do play for us, and the fact that I am probably forgetting a few, one of the problems is that there are not that many South Americans that have really thrived in the English league over the years.  The style of play is probably more suited to the Spanish/Italian league, hence that is why I think they are more likely to end up there.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #9: Jul 01, 2014 08:45:11 pm
      We need to have a base there for scouting, a charity to help young kids get off the street type set up.

Quick Reply