Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

ROUND OF 16: Match Topics

Read 23647 times
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: ROUND OF 16: Match Topics
      Reply #161: Jul 01, 2014 12:06:25 am
      Notice anything?

So far only the group leader progress to the last 8.   :clap: :clap: :clap:

:aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #162: Jul 01, 2014 09:39:27 am
      The only thing I can be sure of during this World cup is that Glenn Hoddle has got a bad buffalo head.

It's been great.  Probably the best I have seen.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,546 posts | 3474 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #163: Jul 01, 2014 10:46:11 am
      Love the German free kick, total genius...
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #164: Jul 01, 2014 11:18:12 am
      Love the German free kick, total genius...
      Right up there with the Rooney corner.

To be honest of the teams through so far, I would say that Columbia have looked the most convincing.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #165: Jul 01, 2014 02:38:36 pm
      Great spirit by Algeria! They were fantastic.

But also, credit to Germany. They kept plugging away and finally got a goal, especially so early in extra time. Brilliant finish by Schurrle. Shame he's on the chav cu*ts because he's such a likeable player.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #166: Jul 01, 2014 05:38:06 pm
      I can see Argentina getting a last minute winner here... Again.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #167: Jul 01, 2014 05:59:30 pm
      I' m afraid times when one player could bring world cup are over. Argentina needs to start playing like a team.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #168: Jul 01, 2014 06:34:51 pm
      Performing for you on the pitch this evening are Shakira, Gaga, Cher & Chaka Khan has left the pitch.

Come on the Suisse! ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #169: Jul 01, 2014 06:45:09 pm
      Christ, someone put this boring and overrated Argentina out of their and our misery.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      Reply #170: Jul 01, 2014 07:29:29 pm
      I can see Argentina getting a last minute winner here... Again.

Near as damn it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      Reply #171: Jul 01, 2014 07:36:51 pm
      I can see them winning it. But it would be a very boring final.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #172: Jul 01, 2014 07:37:05 pm

Pretty dreadful match. Can't be the only one thinking Argentina are bringing down the standard of this tournament.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #173: Jul 01, 2014 07:46:43 pm
      Pretty dreadful match. Can't be the only one thinking Argentina Di Maria is bringing down the standard of this tournament.

Fixed for you ;D

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      Reply #174: Jul 01, 2014 07:50:25 pm
      Pretty dreadful match. Can't be the only one thinking Argentina are bringing down the standard of this tournament.

I don't think they are dropping standards, I just think their current style of play very boring.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #175: Jul 01, 2014 08:20:00 pm
      Double heartbreak for Switzerland. Concede the winner so late, then hit the post for the equalizer a minute later. Gah. Feel for them.

Really looking forward to Belgium-USA. Obviously rooting for the States here, but bias aside this should be a really good game.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #176: Jul 01, 2014 08:24:21 pm
      Really looking forward to Belgium-USA. Obviously rooting for the States here, but bias aside this should be a really good game.

The Belgium team has promised much but not delivered so far. That trend could continue but with a new focal point to the attack it might actually change for them and I believe they will show a bit more of the quality we've been expecting of them.

Should be a really good game and looking forward to this one.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #177: Jul 01, 2014 08:32:39 pm
      The Belgium team has promised much but not delivered so far. That trend could continue but with a new focal point to the attack it might actually change for them and I believe they will show a bit more of the quality we've been expecting of them.

Should be a really good game and looking forward to this one.

Agree. Lukaku was very poor for them. The key for me is can the US shut down de Bruyne's access to the ball? He'll pick apart a fairly weak backline if he's given time and space.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #178: Jul 01, 2014 08:38:54 pm
      Agree. Lukaku was very poor for them. The key for me is can the US shut down de Bruyne's access to the ball? He'll pick apart a fairly weak backline if he's given time and space.

I always struggle to believe De Bruyne isn't a 16 year old, for 23 he looks unnaturally young. Quality player though but I do think his youthful looks makes me think he has more potential to improve than perhaps is realistic.

I've actually been most impressed with Mertens for Belgium, always liked the lad though, just one of those players that seems to make the correct decisions consistently. Add to that the obvious quality and it's a potent mix. Having a threat through the middle though that could potentially run beyond will give Hazard more space which as you rightly point out will give De Bruyne more time on the ball, so stopping him could well be the key.

Expecting USA to drop deep as the threat of pace is very strong. USA have this habit of surprising me though, I often think they're mismatched in terms of quality but they have a great way of digging out results. Good luck.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #179: Jul 01, 2014 08:39:02 pm
      Expecting a Belgium masterclass today, soz American people but I can see it coming.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #180: Jul 01, 2014 08:42:15 pm
      Not going to be able to see much of this one liky as I'm working. Key for me is will Bradley assert any kind of control on the game, if not we'll likely be under pressure much of the game. We'll need a great performance to win but I think it's possible.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #181: Jul 01, 2014 08:53:13 pm
      I always struggle to believe De Bruyne isn't a 16 year old, for 23 he looks unnaturally young. Quality player though but I do think his youthful looks makes me think he has more potential to improve than perhaps is realistic.

I've actually been most impressed with Mertens for Belgium, always liked the lad though, just one of those players that seems to make the correct decisions consistently. Add to that the obvious quality and it's a potent mix. Having a threat through the middle though that could potentially run beyond will give Hazard more space which as you rightly point out will give De Bruyne more time on the ball, so stopping him could well be the key.

Expecting USA to drop deep as the threat of pace is very strong. USA have this habit of surprising me though, I often think they're mismatched in terms of quality but they have a great way of digging out results. Good luck.

;D Very true! De Bruyne does look like he's still a kid. I'm a big fan of Mertens as well. I was pinning for us to sign him a few years back.

Really hope the US doesn't drop too deep. When we let teams onto us (Ghana, Germany, Portugal at the end), we get burned. Our backline simply isn't consistently good enough to all-out defend.

Not going to be able to see much of this one liky as I'm working. Key for me is will Bradley assert any kind of control on the game, if not we'll likely be under pressure much of the game. We'll need a great performance to win but I think it's possible.

We definitely need Bradley. This is worst I've seen him play since he was like 20 and still growing.
      Bier
      Reply #182: Jul 01, 2014 09:14:37 pm

Yeah, apparently they've had the least possession out of all teams, and only created 10 chances in the 3 group games. Safe to say they've been making the most out of that.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #183: Jul 01, 2014 09:16:41 pm
      Hope q-tip head gets knocked on his ass in this one, can't stand the c**t.

Quick Reply